Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Build-up is over! It's "time" for the 2014 F1 Rolex Grand Prix of Australia!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 23:38

O brave new world, that has such cooling requirements in it

-- some dead guy

Daniel-Ricciardo-1.jpg

Formula Uno Global Race Cavalcade sponsored by Herbert Smith Freehills of London: Round 1 of 20: The Australian Grand Prix

Where's it being held?

As if you need to ask! No, not Adelaide. It's the other street circuit in a park, the one where Jacques Villeneuve nearly doubled his Street Circuit In A Park wins in 1996 and where half the field traditionally doesn't finish because the teams haven't figured out which way round to glue their gearboxes in and Felipe Massa has to relearn being a racing driver from scratch.

Anyone expecting a similar opening weekend spectacular is in luck! Jacques Villeneuve still hasn't added to his Street Circuit In A Park tally and probably won't next weekend, but that's not important. What's important is that half the cars will probably break down and Felipe Massa will have to relearn how to be a racing driver pretty quickly because he might have a winning car.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-06-at-13.08.18.png

F1 team in new livery shocker

When are roundy-round cars going to be on track?

Friday, Saturday and Sunday. More detailed information is below. Please note the time difference between <there> and <here>, which for one precious weekend allows us to experience what Australians get every other week of the year.

Friday, 14 March

11:00: V8 Supercars Race 1 (an actual race! With actual cars! On a Friday!)

12:30-14:00: Free practice 1

14:25: V8 Supercars Race 2 (another one! IS THERE NO END TO THE MADNESS)

16:30-18:00 Free practice 2

Saturday, 15 March

14:00-15:00 Free practice 3 (Melbourne's lucky crowd will be treated to a special

lap at demonstration speeds from four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel,

followed by a live demonstration of the melting point of carbon fibre and an equally

live demonstration of some nautical words Adrian Newey learnt at the Americas Cup)

15:20: More V8 Supercars. Don't they get tired of 600hp under-gripped tubeframe

cars made up to look like evocative touring cars you can buy from a showroom?

17:00: Formula One "weird this makes such a compelling show when all anyone really

wants is for it not to decide the race result" Qualifying!

Sunday, 16 March

13:15: Another V8 Supercar race

15:30: Formula One 'cheer up Kamui, this is much better than being paid to drive

Ferraris for a living' Drivers' Parade

17:00: Clear the decks! Sing the National Anthem! Stand up straight! It's time for the 2014 Formula 1 Rolex Grand Prix of Australia!

2014 baby

It's been a long winter. Given that 2013 effectively ended with the British GP in July, this has been the longest offseason since the '50s when there were only five races in a year, Giancarlo Baghetti won his first ever GP and Alfred Neubauer fixed a Grand Prix result in a devious Nazi plot to smuggle the Ark of the Covenant out of Tripoli.

But there's no time for pessimism or snark! This year promises to be a succession of races each more thrilling, incident-packed and contested-by-more-than-one-driver than the last, all building to a fabulous Round 20: the thrilling, quadruple-prize money, triple-points, double-D showdown in Knockhill this December!

knockhill-racing-circuit.jpg

This year also has some new rules that can only possibly be of interest to the kind of techie nerds who read Scarbs's column on Autosport.com and don't put a bin on their heads and club it with a stick while chanting F1 Is In The Entertainment Business And Attention Spans Are So Short These Days whenever Gary Anderson comes on the telly.

Apparently the engines are really small and something to do with turbos? Also the noses of a few of the cars look ridiculous but if you feel like commenting on that I've got these Fish In A barrel over here for you to come and shoot.

Qualifying results

Owing to some spacetime error possibly related in some way to the Internet Of Things, I've received the qualifying times for Sunday's Australian Grand Prix almost a full week ahead of time. Top ten only, I'm afraid. Memorize them and amaze your friends!

1. Lewis Hamilton / Mercedes 1'29.369

2. Nico Rosberg / Mercedes +1.754

3. Felipe Massa / Williams-Mercedes +2.103

4. Kevin Magnussen / Mclaren-Mercedes +2.162

5. Valtteri Bottas / Williams-Mercedes +2.602

6. Jenson Button / Mclaren-Mercedes +2.918

7. Nico Hulkenburg / Force India-Mercedes +3.224

8. Kimi Raikkonen / Ferrari +3.608

9. Sebastian Vettel / Red Bull-Renault +3.886

10. Fernando Alonso / Ferrari +3.917

Before you actually memorize the times and make yourself look like even more of a fool in front of your friends, I should advise you that it's all a hoax. These are actually the times from the 1997 season opener (the race that folklore has, or should have, renamed Mastercard Lola's Australian Grand Prix -- thanks Midgrid!). The point I'm making clumsily is that in the living lifetimes of even our most mentally juvenile members, you saw some absolutely gigantic gaps in the ultimate speed potential of the cars. A driver who was Marussia slow in Australia could be competing for wins in Germany.

Things will break, drivers will go a bit slower to preserve their equipment and cars that look average in the qualifying reports will be quite handy over a race run. Of course this is still F1, so the driver who wins the race will be the one who qualifies well and disappears off at the front, and the driver who wins the championship will be the one best able to exploit the paranoia and insecurities of the engineers at the factory.

But we can dream! You'll never take that away from us!

NVZwQjc4MUc1UVEx_o_ricardo-rosset-footwo

A warning from the past?

Better Red (Bull) Than Dead

The pivotal moment in the 2014 season probably came at some point in late 2013, when Adrian Newey sent the F1 car equivalent of a turd in an envelope to the Renault design office in Viry. The car can't go for more than 20 laps without breaking down, runs so hot they had to cut big speed holes in the bodywork and contains an engine of which the best thing you can say about it is that it delivers poetic justice to the team that complained about its parent throughout their numerous title-winning seasons.

While it's impossible at this stage to tell exactly how severe the nature of Red Bull's problems blah blah the best-funded team on the grid will undoubtedly blah blah blah wipe the stupid self-satisfied twinkle from Christian blah blah the real balance of power will become apparent once we reach the European blah blah how could you Sebastian I invited all my friends round my house and you had to go and blah blah blah after all 'Red Bull RB10' sounds like Red Bull are blah blah blah is it 2015 yet?

d12kor1952.jpg

Visitors to Shit Creek are advised to wear appropriate protection

It's 2008 again. We'll get half a year of no Red Bulls troubling the front of the race and then they'll build the best car for the next five years in a row. Bring the beer, keep the spirits and revolver in the cupboard (for now).

That's a lot of words to write about a no-hoper

Indeed it is! The sour grapes are sponsored by Martini, in association with Williams F1.

What about the front runners?

That'll be anything with a Mercedes engine probably. Hold it! you're probably thinking. What business does a manufacturer of expensive saloon cars owned by doctors and estate agents have competing with the mighty names of Ferrari and Lotus? Well I've done some research on Wikipedia and apparently they finished second in the constructors' championship last year, although they haven't won a world title since the time they successfully mated their powerplant with Ross Brawn. Ross did not ultimately survive the operation but it was a wonderful age we witnessed.

Other teams in with a shot include Williams and Mclaren (no doubt looking to extend their dominance of SNORE-mula One racing) and India.

dne1218ma66.jpg

Who's going to win at Melbourne? F*cked if I know.

British driver may win race

Despite being more closely matched last year than any team mate since Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton enters 2014 with his imaginary (well, more imaginary) stock higher than it's ever been. 2012 showed that he's totally OVER with all the crashing and poor decision-making that used to delight detractors and lovers of chaos and crumbling edifices alike, and his move to Mercedes in 2013 showed he's a clever old bastard too. Conventional wisdom says that he's got a bit of an advantage over Rosberg in qualifying, their race speed is around equal and Rosberg may have the edge when it comes to such cliches as "Driving Strategically" and "Letting the race come to him". Nonetheless people who know a whole Toyota factory more about F1 than me keep saying these things so I'll shut up until Hamilton comes from 20th to 1st on the final lap as every other car comically runs out of fuel one after the other.

But if Mercedes does have a car miles quicker than everyone else's, the Hertfordshire Rocket may have a Senna/Prost, or even Mansell/Piquet shaped (but not sized, Prost and Piquet are quite small) problem. The biggest qualifying advantage in the world only yields you a few metres and a slightly more advantageous line into the first corner than Zeno's tortoise here back in second. And then once the race gets underway and fuel usage, tyre degradation and pit strategies are known, Nico von Clausewitz just has to pick his moment, possibly having sat in the DRS zone half the race saving fuel down the straights.

YES. STRATEGY. Victory will not go to the fastest but He With The Most Spare Mental Capacity And Ability To Drive Into Corners Quickly While Conserving Fuel. I believe that the old swashbuckling tooth-grinding Hamilton died between the 2011 and 2012 seasons but bad luck and circumstance have hidden this, and I will gladly fight anyone who says otherwise.

So will 2014 show he can win a championship properly? We'll only know for sure after the quadruple-points dust has settled in Knockhill, and the winner receives his complimentary chips and battered sausage at the victory gala in glamorous Fife!

r3962b.jpg

Having tucked into their chips and chicken pakora, the guests of Fife's finest eating establishment will chuckle along with after-dinner speaker Paul di Resta as he takes them on a hilarious tour of the highlights (and low-lights!) of his eventful career as a German Touring Car champion and F1 midfield driver. You'll struggle to hold back the tears!

Lastly, but not finally

Good luck Michael. You gave the gift of inspiration to some people, and the gift of righteous indignation to others. Whatever happens, 2014 is dedicated to you.

schu96.jpg

Edited by Risil, 10 March 2014 - 00:20.

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 23:42

WOOOOOOOOO!

#3 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 23:43

Fine OP, but not too early?

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 23:56

Fine OP, but not too early?

I wrote it when I knew that bastard Hope would be watching the NASCAR

Edited by Risil, 10 March 2014 - 00:03.

#5 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:01

We're a week away so definitely not too early. Better than some half-hearted, one line OP a few days before the race. That really psyched me up, thanks!

Don't forget qualifying on Saturday at 5pm, Risil.  I hear on good authority that "the biggest qualifying advantage in the world only yields you a few metres" but on Saturday at 5:59pm those few metres will have me tearing my nails out, biting my tongue off and prostrating myself to the gods of motor racing (not the one called Lewis, he'll be too busy to listen).

#6 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:03

Oh to have the power to close a topic, or even delete a post.

Sadly were I to do that, all Risil's work would be in vain ("Shut up in the back Hope, you can't write ALL the good OPs!") and as we like to encourage some free-thinking and effort in our OPs it's only right & proper it keeps its place.

Besides, it's less than 1 week baby!  And it's almost time for the flag to drop and you know what that means.

* The bullshit stops (post ends).

#7 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:06

Well... I don't know HOW the actual race weekend is going to outdo the OP?!?

:up:

#8 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:11

What a great way to kick off an F1 season I was so nearly tempted to not watch. :lol: Great work, Risil. I think from now on all the activities for a race weekend should be contained in a single 'race weekend' thread like this; OPs like this one deserve to have an entire weekend centered on them. :p

Oh, and good luck, MS. :well:

#9 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:19

I wrote it when I knew that bastard Hope would be watching the NASCAR

Shame, I secretly hoped that today is friday...

#10 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:29

Oh i definitely need permission to put some of those one liners in my signature !!! Outstanding op !! :clap:

#11 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:34

I am so very glad that these inventive Indycar guys are starting to make F1 OPs  :up:

#12 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:43

WOOOOOOOOO!

What you going to do Andrew Hope, when Sennafan24 trumps your Flair with a bit of Hulky Hogan!

#13 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:44

Weather prediction so far

13047988304_9761d1139a.jpg

Edited by tomisumi, 10 March 2014 - 00:44.

#14 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:46

What you going to do Andrew Hope, when Sennafan24 trumps your Flair with a bit of Hulky Hogan!

Are you ready for the Australian GP?

"Well yeah, I'm ready fo-"

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE READY!

Edited by Andrew Hope, 10 March 2014 - 00:53.

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:47

WOOOOOOOOO!

Weirdly I was watching those Flair/Steamboat matches the other day. Top athletes.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 00:49

Weather prediction so far

13047988304_9761d1139a.jpg

Long time for the forecasts to change again yet, but this looks significant. Rain showers + late race starts are a very bad combo.

Could be a blessing for the Renault teams though. Wet conditions place less importance on power and stress the equipment a lot less.

#17 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:12

When I saw the title I thought "but we already have one of these threads!!!!!!", however it was a brilliant post :lol:

#18 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:16

Long time for the forecasts to change again yet, but this looks significant. Rain showers + late race starts are a very bad combo.

Could be a blessing for the Renault teams though. Wet conditions place less importance on power and stress the equipment a lot less.

I actually posted before reading the OP since I know you do good work. I can report having read it that I made it to Felipe Massa will have to relearn how to be a racing driver pretty quickly because he might have a winning car before smiling and F1 team in new livery shocker before laughing.

#19 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:37

Wait a second.

I know this isn't on a par with Nascar or Indycar  threads cos there's no CAT!

What the hell Risil?  You know that no race OP is complete without the obligatory animal.

OP FAIL. :down:

Unless F1 has it's own animal to be decided later... maybe after this weekend we'll all decide it should be a sloth (no, not the one from the Goonies!)

Advertisement

#20 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:44

Well... I don't know HOW the actual race weekend is going to outdo the OP?!?

:up:

Oh there'll be plenty fireworks.... Risil brought the big guns but Renault has much more firepower than horsepower for Australia...

#21 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:45

Wait a second.

I know this isn't on a par with Nascar or Indycar  threads cos there's no CAT!

What the hell Risil?  You know that no race OP is complete without the obligatory animal.

OP FAIL. :down:

Unless F1 has it's own animal to be decided later... maybe after this weekend we'll all decide it should be a sloth (no, not the one from the Goonies!)

F1 is it's own animal... A winged, golden-hooved stallion hewn from carbon fibre.

Unless it's a Renault car, in which case it's the same thing but with fire pouring out of it's arse...

Edited by DanardiF1, 10 March 2014 - 01:48.

#22 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,503 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:59

F1 is it's own animal... A winged, golden-hooved stallion hewn from carbon fibre.

Unless it's a Renault car, in which case it's the same thing but with fire pouring out of it's arse...

So long as it goes up like this

#23 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:37

another sterling OP

nice Risil

The bar will be high this year!

#24 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:56

And it helps to have most down force ..... SV for a shock win?

#25 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:57

topteaser_crop_ein-nasenaffe-aufgenommen

#26 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:27

Sup Risil!

#27 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:41

Ahh..

I go out for a few Miler Lites after ze glorious wicktory to find risil has attacked while we were lollygaging in a soporific slumber !

One is now convinced he is a student of military strategy.

[Confused Autosport poster mode]

Personally, I find it very disrespectful.

What with the Spacetime Errorring and the Knockhilling and not near enough KIMI KIMI KIMI. I think this kind of insolence shows there is too much peoples making jokes and asking him for Suup and not enough serious talk about which child KIMI KIMI KIMI will dispassionately trod on and what shampoo he has to use on his contract.

And why would people put fake wrestling video's on here?...This is Formula One damnit !!..not WWF !

Waste of a thread...

[/Confused Autosport poster mode]

Jp

#28 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:17

Yay 3 days and some hours untill test session #4 !! 

#29 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,333 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:34

Magneti Marelli Motosport Director Roberto Dalla to Omnicorse: And if no one finish in Australia?

http://www.omnicorse...finisse-nessuno

#30 aray

aray

• 5,821 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:51

i wanna FIIREEEE!!!!......

(all renaut engines..)

Edited by aray, 10 March 2014 - 06:52.

#31 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,929 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:57

So long as it goes up like this

<Fisichella>

I'll see that and raise you with:

#32 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,503 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:36

I'll see that and raise you with:

<Brundle>

I think Fisi's is better for two reasons.

One, it happened at 200mph.

Two, bits of the engine which were not happy remaining inside made their escape, and were able to find their way all over Belgium. Well, all over a small part of Belgium.

#33 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:37

Okey Dokey, forward prep staff should be there today / tommorrow, full kit and garage set up Weds? cars Weds / Thurs. Any local pics of all this happening would be appreciated.

#34 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,313 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:42

Williams are setting up their garage today:

BiUsNVEIYAEIMfT.jpg

#35 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:51

:)

Nice.

OP - There's only 19 rounds? so 1 of 19....

#36 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:00

So this is just the FP1 thread?

#37 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:12

Okey Dokey, forward prep staff should be there today / tommorrow, full kit and garage set up Weds? cars Weds / Thurs. Any local pics of all this happening would be appreciated.

There are lots here :-

http://instagram.com/f1paddockpass

#38 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:23

OP worth its weight in gold.

Given a web page is only light and only as heavy as the screen its on, this could be very good or very bad for the o.p

Read from my 6000 inch jumbo tronic tv at the sports stadium

#39 Neophiliac

Neophiliac

• 283 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:27

I, for one, am looking forward to a proliferation of lightning bolts emanating from cars with malfunctioning ERS in the rain!

Advertisement

#40 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:09

Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?

#41 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:24

I trust Risil will have another four up his sleeve.

#42 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:50

Stunning OP - I'll read it over lunch.

#43 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:04

Nice O.P!Very well written.

I am writing a season preview for a one of the big dailies here and I am massively excited to see how it goes!What I am really struggling with is how not to get too technical with the F1 terminology.I can post it here if anyone is interested.

#44 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:13

Daniel_Ricciardo_1.jpg

is that Ricciardo showing he knows he's the number 2 driver? :p

Edited by Longtimefan, 10 March 2014 - 11:14.

#45 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:25

Wow lmao, please tell me you do one of these for every race xD. I might end up waiting for this in more anticipation than the actual race weekend.. Amazing job 

#46 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:27

Nice O.P!Very well written.

I am writing a season preview for a one of the big dailies here and I am massively excited to see how it goes!What I am really struggling with is how not to get too technical with the F1 terminology.I can post it here if anyone is interested.

Go for it. I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback.

#47 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:30

Yeah, why not.  That will teach Risil to be a smartass.

#48 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:31

Ahh..

I go out for a few Miler Lites after ze glorious wicktory to find risil has attacked while we were lollygaging in a soporific slumber !

One is now convinced he is a student of military strategy.

[Confused Autosport poster mode]

Personally, I find it very disrespectful.

What with the Spacetime Errorring and the Knockhilling and not near enough KIMI KIMI KIMI. I think this kind of insolence shows there is too much peoples making jokes and asking him for Suup and not enough serious talk about which child KIMI KIMI KIMI will dispassionately trod on and what shampoo he has to use on his contract.

And why would people put fake wrestling video's on here?...This is Formula One damnit !!..not WWF !

Waste of a thread...

[/Confused Autosport poster mode]

Jp

[Semi cool autsport member] to the rescue

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sup#

[/Semi cool autsport member]

Sup Jp.

Bonkers OP, bring it on!

#49 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:01

Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?

I have to pee..... :(

#50 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:04

A few too many jokes and unrelated wrestling video's and Suups in this thread for my liking. This is Formula 1, can we get serious and stop with these stupid jokes already. So does anybody know which shampoo Kimi has to use on his contract? Some kind of paper shampoo? Kimi. Kimi. Kimikimikimikimikimi.