* * * * - 12 votes

Ferrari F14 T - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3998 replies to this topic

#3851 photon

photon

• 240 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 16:48

Both drivers were equally 'practiced' in the wet conditions.

So what?  Practice is for setting up the car for the track, not for teaching the drivers what it's like to drive in Chinese rain.

Edited by photon, 19 April 2014 - 16:49.

Advertisement

#3852 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 16:53

So what?  Practice is for setting up the car for the track, not for teaching the drivers what it's like to drive in Chinese rain.

setting-up-the-car-for-dry-is-not-setting-it-up-for-wet...

add to the fact that Kimi actually ran few laps this morning in wet compared to only installation lap of Alonso..

still Kimi will have better weekends eventually...

Edited by aray, 19 April 2014 - 18:17.

#3853 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 17:00

This is what Alonso said about the car:

I think that here in China, we have taken the first step towards improving; the car behaved well in all areas and is performing better on the aerodynamic front, thanks to the small updates we have introduced here and we have more power, having revised some settings on the power unit. Certainly, we are still a long way off the pace of the leaders, because they too are progressing, but we can hope to fight for better positions and more points 

#3854 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 17:12

This is what Alonso said about the car:

I think that here in China, we have taken the first step towards improving; the car behaved well in all areas and is performing better on the aerodynamic front, thanks to the small updates we have introduced here and we have more power, having revised some settings on the power unit. Certainly, we are still a long way off the pace of the leaders, because they too are progressing, but we can hope to fight for better positions and more points 

Not talking about championships anymore... :mad:

#3855 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 18:33

He shouldnt be either.. Its crystal clear Mercedes will walk the titles this season..nobody else has a chance...the closest might be RB..but even that would be a very long shot.

Edited by grunge, 19 April 2014 - 18:34.

#3856 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 18:41

If the small updates of China have delivered so much, i have a some hope about the big one for Barcelona.

#3857 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 18:47

He shouldnt be either.. Its crystal clear Mercedes will walk the titles this season..nobody else has a chance...the closest might be RB..but even that would be a very long shot.

Giving up way too early. Season is still very young. You have 2 more testing sessions, 16 GPs, tons of raw power to unlock in the PU through software/hardware upgrades, and ton of development on the chassis side. McLaren was over 1.5-2s a lap slower than BGP in 2009 and manage to outpace them and outscore everyone in the 2nd half of 2009. 

If anything, the pace from ALO on Friday in the dry was ominous. If Ferrari can make that kind of jump again in Spain, they might be a regular podium contender.

#3858 jrwb6e

jrwb6e

• 178 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 18:48

If the small updates of China have delivered so much, i have a some hope about the big one for Barcelona.

That's the question, "if"...

We'll know how the F14T holds its own in the high-speed corners and especially the long straights tomorrow.  It would be nice to not always be afraid of the Mercedes powered cars of Williams and Force India at the start.

#3859 Goron3

Goron3

• 665 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 19:14

Giving up way too early. Season is still very young. You have 2 more testing sessions, 16 GPs, tons of raw power to unlock in the PU through software/hardware upgrades, and ton of development on the chassis side. McLaren was over 1.5-2s a lap slower than BGP in 2009 and manage to outpace them and outscore everyone in the 2nd half of 2009. 

If anything, the pace from ALO on Friday in the dry was ominous. If Ferrari can make that kind of jump again in Spain, they might be a regular podium contender.

If the next software update works and they bolt on some aero, I can see them finding close to two seconds come Spain. The development race will be fascinating this season.

Advertisement

#3860 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,661 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:11

A regular podium contender isn't good enough to win the title this year when Mercedes will be a regular(and perhaps the only) race winner for the foreseeable future.

People can dream, but the championship battle is over for anybody not in ze German car.

#3861 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:15

A regular podium contender isn't good enough to win the title this year when Mercedes will be a regular(and perhaps the only) race winner for the foreseeable future.

People can dream, but the championship battle is over for anybody not in ze German car.

Alonso has 26 points. 24 points behind Lewis. Worst comes to worst, he leaves China with a deficit of c. 40 points (Lewis wins, he finishes 5th). Come Spain, if RBR matches Mercedes and Ferrari makes that step into a regular podium contender, then Alonso doesn't have to worry about the points gap expanding as the top two teams will split points - overhauling 40-50 points in 15 GPs looks pretty feasable to me.

#3862 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,827 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:20

Alonso has 26 points. 24 points behind Lewis. Worst comes to worst, he leaves China with a deficit of c. 40 points (Lewis wins, he finishes 5th). Come Spain, if RBR matches Mercedes and Ferrari makes that step into a regular podium contender, then Alonso doesn't have to worry about the points gap expanding as the top two teams will split points - overhauling 40-50 points in 15 GPs looks pretty feasable to me.

I suspect you're going to be bitterly, bitterly disappointed. Ferrari are going to struggle tomorrow in the dry keeping force India at bay and they're not going to be on red bull and certainly not mercs pace.

#3863 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 987 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:22

are you going to ask that to Santa? :lol:

#3864 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:22

I agree, I think the performance deficit is too large to think about the title this year. If it were to happen it would have to be a combination of a miraculous recovery from Ferrari to be a winning car that can string together a series of victories, and Merc messing up their development (+ bad luck in races). 

I think the extent of the PU issues this year just means at best we can hope for them to get on top of some issues and start next year with a more level footing. 

Also let's bear in mind that upgrades can bring relatively big performance gains when the car is bad. So it isn't really a surprise that these updates are improving the car. The real question is can they continue to make those strides once the car is at a more reasonable level, when performance gains will be more difficult to achieve. 

It's like with the F2012 when the Barcelona package really brought the car back to a decent level but after that the development was quite stagnant. Although saying that, this time they're better equipped to develop the car with the correlation issues out of the way and the regulations are nascent so a lot of potential is to be unlocked. 

Who knows. 

Personally I'm not even bothered by abysmal seasons like this anymore because I've become so used to it. Just another year to watch Alonso drag the car around I guess. 

#3865 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,661 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:29

Ferrari isn't gonna bridge the gap. Especially not within the next couple races.

I don't see Red Bull doing it either, honestly. I think both teams will have the powerplants be a weak point all season, even if they do make some progress.

EDIT: Or exactly what apexpredator said! :)

Although I don't consider the past few seasons to be 'abysmal'. I think anytime an F1 team can be a regular front runner throughout a season is fairly good. Its a tough sport with some very tough competition.

Edited by Seanspeed, 19 April 2014 - 20:31.

#3866 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:30

I think we have to stop considering the Brawn GP as a super great car. They have built their car around the double diffuser and they were the only one. At the mid season, Red Bull was already the fastest car, Mclaren was not far away, and even Raikkonen was there. And in 2010 they were nowhere.

Mercedes have not a trick, their car is just wonderful, the engine, the chassis, it's a wonderful car and they will win WDC and WCC this year easily.

Ferrari best chance is to be the second fastest in front of Red Bull, and it will be a huge achievement considering how bad the team finish last year. We have to forget the title this season, like every other team except Mercedes. Tomorrow they will win the race, they had already perhaps a gap of 70 points in the bag for the WCC, Alonso already one victory away of them in the WDC, but the worse, the gap Mercedes have over the third best is 1.5 seconds. So they have just to have a reliable car, finish all the race on the podium now.

It's over now, and only a delusional man can say or think the contrary. And even if Alonso won the WDC this year with Ferrari the best car it would change nothing for me, at this stage of the season and after that Mercedes domination, for me, you are delusional if you think Ferrari and even Red Bull have a chance.

Edited by Massa, 19 April 2014 - 20:31.

#3867 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,555 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:31

Fred isn't going to do another 2012. That had different circumstances. As much as I would like to see that, Fred's car isn't fast enough to do that. Yes he was behind Lotus and Macs and RBR in 2012, but he was helped by quite unpredictablity in the first seven races that season. But will Fred put the car where it shouldn't be? Absolutely.

This year? I think Mercedes have it made.

Edited by George Costanza, 19 April 2014 - 20:36.

#3868 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,555 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:33

I think we have to stop considering the Brawn GP as a super great car. They have built their car around the double diffuser and they were the only one. At the mid season, Red Bull was already the fastest car, Mclaren was not far away, and even Raikkonen was there. And in 2010 they were nowhere.

Mercedes have not a trick, their car is just wonderful, the engine, the chassis, it's a wonderful car and they will win WDC and WCC this year easily.

Ferrari best chance is to be the second fastest in front of Red Bull, and it will be a huge achievement considering how bad the team finish last year. We have to forget the title this season, like every other team except Mercedes. Tomorrow they will win the race, they had already perhaps a gap of 70 points in the bag for the WCC, Alonso already one victory away of them in the WDC, but the worse, the gap Mercedes have over the third best is 1.5 seconds. So they have just to have a reliable car, finish all the race on the podium now.

It's over now, and only a delusional man can say or think the contrary. And even if Alonso won the WDC this year with Ferrari the best car it would change nothing for me, at this stage of the season and after that Mercedes domination, for me, you are delusional if you think Ferrari and even Red Bull have a chance.

Williams and Toyota had the DD, and they were not faster than the Brawn. The Brawn was INDEED the faster car given the lack of development put in it. RBR was only faster when they put the development in it. That's it. They simply didn't have the funds to do that.

Edited by George Costanza, 19 April 2014 - 20:34.

#3869 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,661 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:43

Williams and Toyota had the DD, and they were not faster than the Brawn. The Brawn was INDEED the faster car given the lack of development put in it. RBR was only faster when they put the development in it. That's it. They simply didn't have the funds to do that.

You're right technically, but I take it to mean that Brawn were the only 'top team' with the DDD. Toyota and Williams had it, but they were midfield teams and were already being challenged by non DDD teams even before the top guys started putting the DDD's on their cars.

Anyways, asking Ferrari to completely close the gap while having engine development partially frozen is like having a season where teams can develop aero packages, but cant change the front or rear wings. There's scope for improvement, but god forbid, if you discover that the front or rear wing is a source of your problem or something that needs to be changed in accordance with other aero changes(to work as a package), then you're sheet out of luck. There's only so much Ferrari can do this year.

#3870 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:04

I love to be hopeful, but right now it is very unlikely anyone whose name doesn't end in 'n' and start with 'Lewis Hamilto' will win the title. 

Still, Ferrari can do what RedBull did to Brawn in 2009, so let's be hopeful of that  :up:

#3871 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,568 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:06

I don't know the limitations of software and how that is dependent of hardware, but what i want to see is that the a F14T can be driven like a top F1 car, not a car that is twitchy and difficult to control like in lesser teams of the past, a car that the pilots can drive at maximum without punishing the driver in some curve with a strange behavior, a car that has a behavior entering the curve and the complete opposite at exit. 

#3872 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:20

It was the case yesterday. The car is no longer twitchy, with understeer at entry and oversteer at acceleration. The car was stable and i was very surprise by this.

#3873 showtime

showtime

• 2,676 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:26

No matter if we think there's a chance of fighting for the WDC this season or not. It's very important that aero and PU development works through the year because that could be the difference between a bad start to a new era or a new era of disappointments. IMO this season's chances of winning are zero but if by Abu Dhabi Ferrari is fighting for wins at least we could have hope for the future.  

#3874 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 22:03

Post quali comments

Kimi
It's been a pretty painful couple of days," said Raikkonen.

"In the morning [free practice] it felt a bit better but obviously it didn't turn out to be a very good day. But that's how it goes.

"[I had] some issues upsetting things with the gearshift. It felt OK at some points but I lost quite a lot of time in the last sector.

"It's been a pretty bad weekend so far. I didn't get much running yesterday and it seems to get more difficult all the time. I don't really understand why.

"There are moments it feels pretty good but then days like this.

"I'm sure there is something we can do to get things running nicely all the time, but obviously the issues we had yesterday didn't help to start with.

"[It's] not easy with the weather to pick it up and turn it around. It looks pretty bad right now, but I have had difficult years with other teams and with Ferrari - I think 2009 was even worse.

"[It's] not ideal, but there's only one way we can go and I'm sure we can turn it around.

#3875 AngelaTifosi

AngelaTifosi

• 484 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:51

“OK you are P11. We saw the problem last sector so we will look into the problem of the down shifting. Sorry about that“

http://www.f1fanatic...dio-transcript/

How do they fix it without changing the gearbox?

#3876 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,239 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:59

Post quali comments

Kimi

"[It's] not easy with the weather to pick it up and turn it around. It looks pretty bad right now, but I have had difficult years with other teams and with Ferrari - I think 2009 was even worse.

finally some comments (from those who actually drove that shitbox) on the Portaloo that was F60  :drunk:

#3877 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,239 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:00

How do they fix it without changing the gearbox?

gearbox problems these days are mostly electrical glitches or actuator problems. they are mostly cured by plugging in the laptop and resetting bits. hopefully it's got nothing to do with the actual gears. then penalty is given.

#3878 Astro

Astro

• 364 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:03

finally some comments (from those who actually drove that shitbox) on the Portaloo that was F60  :drunk:

:lol:

#3879 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:36

I suspect you're going to be bitterly, bitterly disappointed. Ferrari are going to struggle tomorrow in the dry keeping force India at bay and they're not going to be on red bull and certainly not mercs pace.

I hope you enjoy the race mate :)

Advertisement

#3880 discover23

discover23

• 4,399 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:30

Trademark Alonso , he is fantastic today. Let's
Hope he can keep the Faster redBull behind.

#3881 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:35

this is only the beginning !

in Barca we will fight to win. form Canada onward we will be a "F2004"

bad news for the Ferrari haters

Edited by 2014wdc, 20 April 2014 - 08:35.

#3882 Radion

Radion

• 967 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:38

Trademark Alonso , he is fantastic today. Let's
Hope he can keep the Faster redBull behind.

I don't think the redbull is faster. We matched them, alonso was able to match riccardo's times when he tried closing on him.

Ferrari 2nd fastest in China! Can't wait for Barcelona! :up:

#3883 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:40

Before the forum breaks down after another Lewis' win, Fernando was fantastic today :clap:

#3884 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 474 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:41

Well done Ferrari you have done a good job and made some ground.

#3885 discover23

discover23

• 4,399 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:41

The upgrades worked!!!
Yes Radion, I think you are right..

#3886 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,147 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:43

Sad for Stefano, great for and from Ferrari and Alonso. Kimi needs to step it up.

Finally a sunday without complete disappointment already in the morning!

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 20 April 2014 - 08:44.

#3887 FizzyJerk

FizzyJerk

• 334 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:43

until i read this

Autosport @ Autosport 13m

AUTOSPORT+ Ferrari flatters to deceive in China http://ow.ly/2FNwvn

Podium

Need to subscribe to Autosport+ pronto...

#3888 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:45

Haha gary anderson. Second best team today, i can't wait for Barcelona. Sorry for Domenicali

#3889 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,143 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:46

Alonso Da Man !!  :up:

#3890 AngelaTifosi

AngelaTifosi

• 484 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:48

my prediction for top 3 come true.

hahahhahhahahahah

#3891 leomax

leomax

• 151 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:51

Good race Alonso. Kimi was anonymous.

Traction is still awful. Need to improve tire management as well.

Improved PU came handy against RB.

#3892 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:53

Ferrari proved me wrong today...big time..they showed they can live with RB on race day..huge improvement over Bahrain.kudos to the team.
Alonso was masterclass...faultless performance once again.driver of the day for me.
Raikkonen,well that was embarassing...painful to watch...he needs to go back,forget all about it and turn up afresh next time around.

#3893 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:53

Sad for Stefano, if only he waited a little longer to make his decision, but then it was his decision....

#3894 AngelaTifosi

AngelaTifosi

• 484 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:54

Sad for Stefano, if only he waited a little longer to make his decision, but then it was his decision....

how do you know he's the one decide to retire  :wave:

#3895 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:57

ok...finally a podium.!..now hoping a win will come sooner or later....

this race we were at par with RB,but i think it is due to circuit characteristic...as long as we don't improve braking and traction,we will get beaten by RB easily in upcoming 2 races,,,

Edited by aray, 20 April 2014 - 08:59.

#3896 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,421 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:59

Top job by track operations today, car was good but not good enough, need to improve in Spain .

#3897 JazH

JazH

• 383 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:00

A massive step in the right direction.

We seem to be on pace or close to the pace of the Redbulls now, and probably ahead of force india.

A race win looks unlikely at the moment though. Much progress is needed.

Edited by JazH, 20 April 2014 - 09:01.

#3898 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:01

Finally! I can let out a very small smile...

The gap to Mercedes is still too large for my liking but obvious progress has been made especially on the PU front.

Alonso was sublime today and surprised to see him only 38 points off the championship lead. Kimi had an absolute shocker. It is starting to look like Alonso is laying the pimp hand down on him just as he did Massa.

#3899 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:02

Very much so, and I really like Stefano, kindest team principal in my memory.

However, Mattiaci will definitely bring in a fresh wind and more zeal, more decisiveness plus - most of all - simply change.

Advertisement

#3900 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,568 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:03

Really? we are over second from Mercedes in case you didn't notice.

Many forum and most members seem just a bunch of teenagers that go from utmost pessimism to rampant optimism because of one race.

We don't know yet if this effort was a fluke or not. We don't know if this track and specific cold track temperatures benefited us or not. Lets wait for  a bunch of races where this is repeated. And the Summer heat.

Edited by AlexS, 20 April 2014 - 09:04.