Ferrari F14 T - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3998 replies to this topic

#3901 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:05

No need for the "I told you so".

Actually, yes. Told you guys that Ferrari (ALO) had great pace. RAI was nowhere, but I think it's more down to him and his lack of adaptability than to the car. Wear was much better, energy recovery was good. Still lacking a little bit in downforce, but things are looking great. I think my earlier prediction of regular podium contenders by Spain is definitely on the money here.

Very happy for ALO. Great race!

Advertisement

#3902 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,824 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:10

Actually, yes. Told you guys that Ferrari (ALO) had great pace. RAI was nowhere, but I think it's more down to him and his lack of adaptability than to the car. Wear was much better, energy recovery was good. Still lacking a little bit in downforce, but things are looking great. I think my earlier prediction of regular podium contenders by Spain is definitely on the money here.

I stand corrected. Alonso is an epic driver and the car isn't a slouch either. It would take an incredible effort to catch merc because again Hamilton wasn't pushing and still finished 25 seconds ahead.

#3903 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:13

I stand corrected. Alonso is an epic driver and the car isn't a slouch either. It would take an incredible effort to catch merc because again Hamilton wasn't pushing and still finished 25 seconds ahead.

Mercedes have at the very least a second in the pocket. I'm just glad the Ferrari has improved and hopefully they can make further gains in Barcelona to get them clear of the rest of the field.

#3904 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:16

Mercedes have at the very least a second in the pocket. I'm just glad the Ferrari has improved and hopefully they can make further gains in Barcelona to get them clear of the rest of the field.

Renault PU improvements are the only things standing between Ferrari and regular podium spots really.

#3905 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 524 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:17

Good job Fernando. 

Kimi needs to get the car sorted out or at least get some running in it before the races... Difficult to have pace without any proper practice sessions. 

#3906 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:18

We are still miles behind Mercedes, but we can see progress which is encouraging. In previous years every time we were supposed to take step forward, we took step backward. At least on that front we don't have to be frustrated anymore. 

#3907 vista

vista

• 553 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:18

God to se a step forward compared to previous races. However, I fear we are flattered by the track characteristics. Traction still remains a weak point.

#3908 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,688 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:24

Ferrari proved me wrong today...big time..they showed they can live with RB on race day..huge improvement over Bahrain.kudos to the team.
Alonso was masterclass...faultless performance once again.driver of the day for me.
Raikkonen,well that was embarassing...painful to watch...he needs to go back,forget all about it and turn up afresh next time around.

I hope Ferrari can now start making inroads into Mercs advantage once they establish themselves properly as best of the rest. Let's keep steadily improving like this and we will be in a good position for the European races to come.

#3909 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,568 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:27

Many things still remain a weak point. Ferrari didn't win.

The car shown a lot of understeer during the race in the hands of Alonso. With Kimi it would have been worse since he did laps at Alonso level but others horrible so the car must have been unstable.

Edited by AlexS, 20 April 2014 - 09:28.

#3910 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:34

2nd spot for WCC is all up for grabs

RB 57
FI 54
SF 52
MM 43

KR needs to get his act together..it probably will come down to Ferrari vs RB at the end.

#3911 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 524 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:35

Kimi's car may have been good and stable but lack of running means always worse pace. You just don't know how the car behaves in the first phases of the race and need to just take it carefully and build up the speed. In the end of the race the pace was okay compared to Fernando. 

But Alonso's podium is really awesome for the team. Brilliant drive.

#3912 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:36

2nd spot for WCC is all up for grabs

RB 57
FI 54
SF 52
MM 43

KR needs to get his act together..it probably will come down to Ferrari vs RB at the end.

This.

#3913 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:36

Definitely a huge step forward this weekend. Encouraging! Now another one for Spain!

...but Red Bull are still faster....

#3914 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:46

That was a very good step forward.

I do think maybe the track helped, as in Sepang Fernando wasn't far off the RedBulls either, but I think genuine progress has been made.

On to Spain, where hopefully even more progress can be made! Although we can expect the other teams to also bring major upgrades.

Disappointed with Kimi's race, he keeps having sh*tty Fridays. Let's hope this stops.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 20 April 2014 - 09:47.

#3915 Frank

Frank

• 192 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:56

Hope they can maintain their momentum carry forward but I remember Rosberg chasing Alonso after first pit stop, Martin did comment he was once 2.1 sec faster on certain lap. 

#3916 steferrari

steferrari

• 296 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:58

Good step forward in this weekend, I'm happy.

Now keep pushing, there's 3 weeks until Barcelona where I hope to see more improvements.

Forza Ferrari !  :)

#3917 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:00

I am usually not a fan of people patting themselves on the back but you have earned it. Some people gave you some real grief when you made your statements.

#3918 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:06

I am usually not a fan of people patting themselves on the back but you have earned it. Some people gave you some real grief when you made your statements.

I usually don't like to do that either, but yeah, just wanted to set the record straight.  :cat:

So any news on the Barcelona upgrade package? Any particular direction?

Will Ferrari focus slightly on making the car a bit more to Kimi's liking? Finishing a minute behind his teammate is definitely not going to go down well at Maranello.

Edited by slmk, 20 April 2014 - 10:08.

#3919 Flamini

Flamini

• 849 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:32

Fantastic surprise  :clap: The last time I felt so good after the race? Malaysia 2012.

Advertisement

#3920 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,063 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:36

Kimi said that tyres felt ok maybe few laps during the entire race, he was also told to save fuel due to some problem.

#3921 Goron3

Goron3

• 665 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:40

if a small update took us past Red Bull and others, I really do think that the Spain update will put us right up there. With more downforce and improved traction/top speed (from the next PU update) we will be VERY strong in Spain, a track that will suit us well.

#3922 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,290 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:41

Great job by Fernando, he is really a fighter. The way he executed this race and pushed when he had to was magnificent!  :clap:

#3923 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:54

Ferrari with a completely new car in Barcelona according to Rai.

#3924 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:56

i just hope that in Barcelona's test we focus in making the car as fast as we can...and not finding the sweet setup for Kimi

#3925 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:01

i just hope that in Barcelona's test we focus in making the car as fast as we can...and not finding the sweet setup for Kimi

They have to do both. Besides a better car will go along way to alleviating Kimi's problems.

#3926 Spoch

Spoch

• 222 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:01

Told you Gary Anderson was shit!!!! From now on if Gary Anderson praises your team, go into a prayer session

#3927 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:06

Told you Gary Anderson was shit!!!! From now on if Gary Anderson praises your team, go into a prayer session

lol i feel the same...

If Anderson start saying that Ferrari has a great car...than we are in trouble

#3928 fernandokimimichael

fernandokimimichael

• 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:14

What a start form Alo! He is a bull, a fantastic guy, the best driver in the world! I am so sorry for him for having such a bad car year after year! He deserves more titles! I can"t say any more than he's been the best driver in the world for a few years now.

#3929 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:22

I think the Red Bull was still a bit better here, but Alonso made the difference.  Amazing effort. 

And I do think we've made progress.  Track did flatter us a bit, but if we can have another nice step in Barcelona, I'd say we could start threatening the podium on a more regular basis.   

#3930 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:14

all i want is better traction..that's the crucial thing Alonso needs to...he can mask lots of deficiencies of a car,but  not that one..

by the way is the Barcelona test before or after Spanish GP...?

Edited by aray, 20 April 2014 - 12:16.

#3931 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:20

Congrats to Ferrari on now having the 2nd best car.

#3932 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,236 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:21

Congrats to Ferrari on now having the 2nd best car.

A little premature, don't you think?

#3933 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 276 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:27

I think Fernando had a great start and got track position over redbull by using the undercut at the pit stops.   I don't think Ferrari have the second best car yet.   Redbull should have had the podium with better strategy and better team work. 

#3934 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:30

I think the Red Bull was still a bit better here, but Alonso made the difference.  Amazing effort. 

And I do think we've made progress.  Track did flatter us a bit, but if we can have another nice step in Barcelona, I'd say we could start threatening the podium on a more regular basis.   

I can argue that RB is not that good as DR made all the difference thanks to his 2 second gap to his team mate who is 4 x wdc. Imagine he was not driving for RB no one would have rated them that highly.

#3935 zapppa83

zapppa83

• 104 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:53

I said a podium was realistic. ZAPPPA-GARY ANDERSON 1-0. :clap:

#3936 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:55

Some Kimi fans yesterday said that Alonso is de facto team principal in Ferrari, that he is actually the one who replaced Domenicali.. Well:

Q: The podium here, what can you promise your home fans at the next grand prix at home?
FA:
We need to see. We need to remain very calm.

:p

Edited by BorkoF2012, 20 April 2014 - 12:55.

#3937 JazH

JazH

• 383 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 13:00

Some Kimi fans yesterday said that Alonso is de facto team principal in Ferrari, that he is actually the one who replaced Domenicali.. Well:

Q: The podium here, what can you promise your home fans at the next grand prix at home?
FA:
We need to see. We need to remain very calm.

:p

:rotfl:  

I love the fact that 'remaining calm' is the primary fallback to any question.

#3938 vista

vista

• 553 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 13:01

The new wheel hubs from F1 website:

Ferrari introduced a new front axle and brake duct assembly in Shanghai that bleeds airflow from the brake cooling duct through a duct in the centre of the axle. The idea is to direct this airflow through the axle so that it exits just behind the front tyre, into a low pressure area where the flow is coming away from the ground. When working correctly, this concept will make brake cooling much more efficient and will also reduce the overall drag of the car. However, it is by no means a new idea - Williams used it in 2013 and Red Bull currently run a similar system.

#3939 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 13:03

A little premature, don't you think?

yea he's being sarky but anyway nice to see a red car up there again. Great performance from the team and Alonso. I just hope Kimi can come to grips(no pun) with the car. I read his interview and he seems to be struggling with tyre temps more than anything at the moment. I gather this car strays towards front limited tracks 

Advertisement

#3940 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 13:05

That was a very good step forward.
I do think maybe the track helped, as in Sepang Fernando wasn't far off the RedBulls either, but I think genuine progress has been made.
On to Spain, where hopefully even more progress can be made! Although we can expect the other teams to also bring major upgrades.

Disappointed with Kimi's race, he keeps having sh*tty Fridays. Let's hope this stops.

If only Kimi had a trouble-free weekend. The reliability of his car has been just appalling. I don't know how much the need to save fuel cost but for sure it did not make him faster.

This weekend's score consisted of something causing the misding of entire FP1, a glitch with gearbox in quali and then something amiss with fuel system in the race. Totally unacceptable I'd say.

Well, OTOH Fred showed what can be achieved with the car so it's not only doom and gloom :-)

#3941 TheJuan

TheJuan

• 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 13:27

Fernando is a beast. When running in 2nd I bet Lewis was like "WTF! What is he doing there? How can he be in 2nd?!"

For a driver with a quicker car... it's got to be disheartening to know that this guy is always going to be there to try to capitalize on your brain farts.  

I think Alonso's going to be able to retire knowing that he genuinely tried to improve his last lap. He is going to be remembered.

Edited by TheJuan, 20 April 2014 - 13:30.

#3942 Mally11

Mally11

• 120 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 13:32

Again the trend contines for Raikkonen as one of the unluckiest drivers out there. Another problem hindered weekend where things are out of his control.

At the start of the season he said that "clean weekends" are needed for good races and results and Alonso has had that 100% so far except for Bahrain qualifying.

If the issue in FP1 had not happened he would have been in a much better place to challenge and have more pace. I think he did well to finish 8th in a car that he said was incostistant.

Alonso showed the best of the cars potential today and if Kimi get's some more luck then a great fight with Red Bull for 2nd in the WCC will ensue.

Spain is a crucial weekend for both Raikkonen and Ferrari. They both need a clean weekend to test the new upgrades and also to make full use of the track time at the two day test session to correct these recent struggles.

At the minute it's Ferrari that's letting Kimi down and not the other way round.

#3943 Bongodrums

Bongodrums

• 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 13:34

Fernando is a beast. When running in 2nd I bet Lewis was like "WTF! What is he doing there? How can he be in 2nd?!"

For a driver with a quicker car... it's got to be disheartening to know that this guy is always going to be there to try to capitalize on your brain farts.  

I think Alonso's going to be able to retire knowing that he genuinely tried to improve his last lap. He is going to be remembered.

??? I am sure Lewis did not give him a second thought, he was more than likely laughing to himself knowing his team mate would soon breeze past him, which Ros did without much trouble.

#3944 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 14:36

I am glad for the team; they need this pill of motivation.

I donĀ“t think Ferrari is the second best car at the moment, the team did a good job during the race and Alonso was in his beast mode, Red Bull lost time when Ricciardo was behind Vettel for example. Alonso was quite serious in the podium, maybe he was thinking of Domenicali but even so, quite serious, so I am going to remain calm (as Domenicali and Alonso say   :))

#3945 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 14:56

Fernando said on the Spanish TV that Domenicali's hand will be present in everything the team do until july/august.

#3946 jrwb6e

jrwb6e

• 178 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:26

Well, Alonso flattered the F14T today.  It was clearly not as quick as the Red Bull but he got every ounce out of it, as usual.

After Bahrain, I would have been ecstatic if Ferrari made it to the podium at least once this season.  Thank goodness it did!

#3947 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:13

Did you see the fuel consumption ? Almost on par with the Mercedes powered car. The software update work well, i cant wait for Barcelona.. If the big update work, with a better traction we can see a big step forward in ter of laptime gain, 8 tenths or more.
And no need to wait to see if the Ferrari pace is real, you have just to watch the car, she is very stable and seems easy to drive for the first time of the season. Before she was looking like the F2012 of Jerez test.

#3948 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,066 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:17

Brazilian TV said the new fat brake ducts made all the difference in terms of relative performance.

Was impressed in how Mercedes would gain on Ferrari on the straights and how Ferrari gained on Red Bull on the straights (no need to say what Mercedes did to Red Bull).

Finally, I was amazed how Alonso was gained 0.3 seconds on Rosberg on the first part of the first corner. Had the car had a bit more traction power (there might be a compromise on design), he would be able to fight Rosberg really. Hamilton is just out of reach.

#3949 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:17

Kimi really pissed off at the motivation question...understandably so...when will these so called journos stop this nonsense.

Raikkonen: 'Result f**k all to do with motivation'

http://www.f1times.c...s/display/08791

#3950 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:24

Great drive by Alonso and a good step forward by the team. But this just brings them back to their usual best-of-the-rest spot. More big leaps are needed, and soon, because the way Alonso is schooling Raikkonen once again shows what a waste of his talent it has been driving Ferrari cars these last few years. He deserves a winning car and a title with this team.