• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 21:21

:clap: F1 USA THREAD :clap:

TV/ONLINE SCHEDULES

NBC is the carrier for the USA this season.  Due to NBC's habit of continuously changing the dates, times and channels for showing the races, I thought we could have a thread where we could post information (and station updates) for each race.  This is what I have for the Oz GP:

Australian GP 

Dates:  March 13-16

Television: NBCSN, NBC (check local listing for local NBC or NBC Sports Network channel)

Online Coverage: (Online coverage available for free to most subscribers of cable television carrying NBCSN - includes many major and minor cable networks - see NBC LIVE Extra website for further information): 

Sessions:

Practice 1  (Date, Time, Channel)  LIVE:

East Coast:  March 13 - 9:30 p.m.  TV: NBCSN - Online (NBC live extra)

West Coast:  March 13 - 6:30 p.m.  TV: NBCSN - Online (NBC live extra)

Practice 2  - LIVE

East Coast:  March 14 - 1:30 a.m.  TV:  NBCSN  - Online (NBC live extra)

West Coast:  March 13 - 10:30 p.m.  TV:  NBCSN - Online (NBC live extra)

Practice 3:

NOT SCHEDULED TO AIR on television;  no Online Coverage Scheduled (check local listings). 

DEMAND COVERAGE OF P3!

• EMAIL NBC Sports Demanding Coverage of P3: nbcsportshelp@nbcuni.com
  • TWEET your demand to NBC for P3 Coverage - hashtag #F1P3Live:  https://twitter.com/NBCSN

Qualifying: LIVE

East Coast:  March 15 - 2:00 a.m. TV Some Areas: NBCSN -  Online:  NBC live extra

(Other Areas:  Delayed TV Coverage: check local listings for delayed show times on television)

West Coast: March 14 - 11:00 p.m.  TV Some Areas: NBCSN - Online:  NBC live extra

(Other Areas:  Delayed TV Coverage: check local listings for delayed show times on television)

RACE: LIVE

East Coast:  March 16 - 2:00 a.m. (1:30 a.m. pre-show)  Online:  NBC live extra

West Coast: March 15 - 11:00 p.m. (10:30 p.m. pre-show) Online: NBC live extra

***Check your local NBC listings to confirm all scheduled dates, channels and times.  The above information from NBCSN TV Listings Website.******* 

Edited by bourbon, 14 March 2014 - 01:32.

Advertisement

#2 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 22:31

I was just thinking to start this, Bourbon! Big Ups to you!! :up:  :up:

So PUMPED to hear that NBC has finally gotten around to live streaming P1, but why not P3?? It's year 2 for them and they're not doing what Speed did in their final year. 

Send those emails and Tweets demanding live streaming of P3, folks! We just might win this one.

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,201 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 22:44

Good Man Bourb !!!

Jp

#4 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,646 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 22:50

Thanks Bourbon. I checked the listings the other day only to find out the replay is on at 6am EST. Waay too early because they 're showing the EPL most of the day sunday. Yes, I still live in the darkages and don't have TIVO. I'll never make the live broadcast at 2am so I'll be starting my sunday morning around 530am.

Tonight starting at 830pm is some Vettel show, then a countdown show , then FP1 so I'll take what they give me.Great to see F1 back at it. Let's hope for a kickass year.

#5 paulb

paulb

• 11,217 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 22:51

Thanks, Bourbon.

#6 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 00:41

Also, if you ever have any questions, 

http://www.tvracer.com/

is an awesome site for all motorsports on tv.

#7 tai.lur

tai.lur

• 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 00:52

Thanks Bourbon!

#8 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:16

Update:

It appears as though NBCSN is going to show Qualifying live - at least for some areas and cable providers.  I have Directv (NBCSN Channel 220), we have Qualifying LIVE at 11pm  PST Friday night  (2:00 a.m. EST). 

Check your local listings and see if Qualifying has also been added for you.  Qualifying continues to be scheduled for showing live online at NBC Live Extra.

Welcome all.   Thanks, Deluxx

Edited by bourbon, 14 March 2014 - 01:27.

#9 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,646 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 19:52

Anyone make it through that Will Buxton show Road To Ferrari last night? It was god awlfull. Between his yellow and orange pants, and his index finger ring it was barely watchable. Nothing informative or entertaining about it at all. He's an ok grid walk person, but an hour of his feminine personality was cringeworthy.

Now the show after that, Horse Power about the F1 team in Maranello was just the opposite. Both educational and a great watch. I'm not a Ferrari F1 fan (love the road cars) ,but after watching this I'd like to see them fighting for victories.( Kimi not Fred). It's worth watching again.

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 15 March 2014 - 01:27.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 00:28

Apparently I don't have DVR.

But I do have a VCR. And am trying to remember how to program it. 

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,201 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:25

Is VCR an acronym for something??

Jp

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:35

Very Confused Ross

Cables everywhere.

#13 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:49

*Race Day Bump*

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,201 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:34

Very Confused Ross

Cables everywhere.

That's funny....
Jp

#15 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 261 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:56

Been over a year since anyones posted here - but since xfinity/Comcast do such a wonderful sh!t job of posting F1 races on their X1 Platform (Guide) I cannot locate any upcoming 'live' F1 events outside of the race itself on Sunday - (funny, you get get FIA "Formula E" as a 'series' on xfinity, but no F1? - Go figure) - :down:

Anyway - I was just manually scrolling thru the weekly schedule trying to find the upcoming race and sessions for Hungary... and everything I'm seeing is delayed and listed as a 'repeat'?  :confused:  I then checked the guide during the actual race and session times, as NBCSN/CNBC/NBC have been showing FP2 and Qualy this year - (and of course FP1/FP3 without commentary "online") - but point is, they have the Tour de France running on NBCSN during practice, qualy and the race - so I checked their 'fall-back' channel, CNBC and that has the usual Friday financial shows running that I doubt they'd ever pull for F1 .... so that then leaves what?? Certainly not NBC...

So I then pinged some of the NBCSN/Comcast 'usual suspects' on Twitter, and unless you're a 25 yr old blond co-ed with 'nice hands'(。 ã…… 。) - of course I got no response from any of those lot, nor xfinity or Comcast ... sigh  :rolleyes:

So I just saw and checked the link above (www.TVRacer.com - thank you) and it shows that it is "Live" (L) on CNBC (for Qaulyfing on Sat and the race on Sunday) - Now this is fine and most likely true as xfinity have their heads up their arses 99% of the time... but still doesn't show that on my X1 schedule (FP2 & Qualifying) just lists the repeats/delayed times as of 20-JULY...

So, question is - are there any other Comcast users out there (maybe off the X1 Platform) whose guide shows actual times for the FP2 and Qualy 'live'? Anyone know if it'll be shown live on telly in the USA?

Cheers -

BB

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-20%20at%207.25.5

Edited by BoozeBaron, 21 July 2015 - 01:56.

#16 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:20

Worse case scenario, tune to Univision (Latino channel).  They typically show quali and the race live (HD).  You may turn down the volume unless you speak Spanish but at least you'll get the live broadcast (or find some Nigerian stream  :p). 

#17 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:18

NBCSN are still showing the tour of France so F1 races are relegated to CNBC. I don't know why it's calling those repeats because the race will still be live on 7/26 at 8 am.

#18 JasonSw

JasonSw

• 337 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:55

Hi guys,

Every race week we will post one of these:

F1_10_HUNGARIAN_Grand_Prix_2015.jpg

So just make sure you are following one of the broadcast or the production team and you should catch it.

Cheers,

Jason

(One of the producers @jason_a_swales)

#19 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 261 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 13:26

Thanks all  -

Just FYI, I came online to delete my post, for finally (3 days before the event) xfinity did finally 'update' their X1 guide and now does show the race and qaulifying on CNBC 'Live' - Also thanks to those for the Univision tip... I actually found that option a few months ago and did as you suggested, turn down the sound and listen to the LEGAL radio feed from the BBC ... Just a matter of syncing the laps on the TV/DVR with the audio and is sorted :) (plus 10x times LESS adverts on Univision) :p

Anyway - Appreciate the help and hope others were helped too... Cheers

BB :cool:

Advertisement

#20 JasonSw

JasonSw

• 337 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 13:41

listen to the LEGAL radio feed from the BBC

Having produced the BBC radio F1 coverage from 2001 to 2012, listening to it outside of the UK is certainly not LEGAL. The BBC only have the rights for the UK and all their services are geo-blocked. If you are using a VPN, even if you pay the license fee, then you are breaking the rules.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

#21 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 13:59

Having produced the BBC radio F1 coverage from 2001 to 2012, listening to it outside of the UK is certainly not LEGAL. The BBC only have the rights for the UK and all their services are geo-blocked. If you are using a VPN, even if you pay the license fee, then you are breaking the rules.

There is a way of listening to it legally outside the UK (at least there was last year, and it was in relatively low quality), the 5Live feed was used last season as the audio commentary in the F1 mobile app.

#22 JasonSw

JasonSw

• 337 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 14:14

Yep, that is absolutely true Victor_RO, you are right.

Is it still going?

#23 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 261 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 14:38

What Jason/Victor said ;)

But in addition to that, I'm an expat and pay my licence fee and also have a Sky subscription (but rather watch my races on the big screen vs. laptop) - Regardless, given all the (righful) policing of 'comments' surrounding feeds on Autosport, I just cut straight to the chase without elaborating on how I did it - Also my BBC Radio App plays all Beeb radio programmes with no issues at all as I travel the world...

Just don't shoot the messenger ... :)

Edited by BoozeBaron, 21 July 2015 - 15:06.

#24 JasonSw

JasonSw

• 337 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 14:44

Ha ha no worries BoozeBaron!

What I would say though is that the more people we get watching NBC then hopefully that leads to more investment and a stronger voice on the network. I know the ads are frustrating and we would love to do it ad free but there is not a race series in the US that doesn't have ads!

There is an extremely knowledgeable and passionate fanbase in the US and we want to serve them as best we can, we just need keep growing the audience and hopefully more coverage will come!

#25 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 261 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 14:44

Hi guys,

Every race week we will post one of these:

F1_10_HUNGARIAN_Grand_Prix_2015.jpg

So just make sure you are following one of the broadcast or the production team and you should catch it.

Cheers,

Jason

(One of the producers @jason_a_swales)

Jason,

So I just checked Friday's FP2 - and noticed on your image, it doesn't say 'Live' - and then looked at my Guide, and it does say "Replay" - so whilst we're now lightyears ahead of where we were 24 hours ago as to finding the races live on CNBC - is it safe to say that FP2 will not be shown live then?

Thanks!

BB

(excuse the crappy rushed phone pic - but am on MT so 2 hours behind ET (hence the 5PM-6PM) but yeah - I'm not seeing any live except on Univsion)

F1%20-%20Hungary%20P2%20-%20NBCSN%20-%20

#26 JasonSw

JasonSw

• 337 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 14:45

there is a clash with about 8 other sports, so FP2 won't be live on NBCSN. I am trying to find out if it will be streamed live on NBC Live Extra, like FP1 and FP3. As soon as I know, I will post back here.

#27 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 261 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 14:50

Ha ha no worries BoozeBaron!

What I would say though is that the more people we get watching NBC then hopefully that leads to more investment and a stronger voice on the network. I know the ads are frustrating and we would love to do it ad free but there is not a race series in the US that doesn't have ads!

There is an extremely knowledgeable and passionate fanbase in the US and we want to serve them as best we can, we just need keep growing the audience and hopefully more coverage will come!

Thanks - Sorry if I came off sounding harsh - Bit early and still not had my cuppa ;) but agree NBC is doing more and more - and agree, that the more we can 'support' (by watching) it the better off F1 will be... and hope they'll find a primary sponsor (which they do) but go advert-free at least for the races ... Even Sky has advert breaks, but waits for pauses in the action... That's the only thing that drives me crazy...

Anyway - We're lightyears ahead of old Speed TV coverage - and happy they're streaming things now - But my Q for the gang at NBC is; Why can you show hours of 'Football' (soccer) advert-free, but not F1 races or Qaulifying sessions? I don't mind ads in between sessions.... but starting 2 mins late and breaking in when there's like 3 mins left really does my nut in -

Apprecaite your interaction -

Cheers,

BB

Edited by BoozeBaron, 21 July 2015 - 14:54.

#28 JasonSw

JasonSw

• 337 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 15:03

No problem BB, didn't sound harsh at all.

Being an ex-pat you probably, like me, were surprised at the amount of adverts on US TV. As you know the model for subscription and cable is totally different and much more localized. Quite often when we go to a picture-in-picture ad break the local affiliate will just go full screen ads. That is a pain as at least the main production team are trying to show as much as possible.

I know the guys in the control room try to time the breaks to follow lulls in the action but you just cannot get it right every time and sometimes things are missed. The team are ALL passionate fans of motorsport and all want to make the best shows possible but without the ads there would be no show.

I am sure you know all this and it won't ease the frustrations much.

We constantly discuss and look at ways of improving so the suggestions about qualy will be put forward and if there are more ideas, input or issues please do let me know.

#29 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 15:22

As far as I know NBCsports live extra streams every session. I looked at the upcoming schedule for this weekend and all practice sessions are scheduled to be streamed on live extra. Whether the FP2 stream has commentary is another question.

#30 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 261 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:39

As far as I know NBCsports live extra streams every session. I looked at the upcoming schedule for this weekend and all practice sessions are scheduled to be streamed on live extra. Whether the FP2 stream has commentary is another question.

Okayyyyyyy..... Think I finally figured out how to get the 'live' stream to work - and even on the big screen (TV) ...

Fired up my Apple TV box (will assume NBCSN app is also on Roku, Chromecast, and others?) -- Anyway - I went the the 'Live and Upcoming' section - and sure enough, it's listed there on the NBCSN app - and the stream will be availble (live) at www.nbcsports.com (legal stream) - as well as the NBC Live Extra APP for iPhone/iPad (and assume Android) ...

They usually do 'commentary' for FP2 and since it's being shown on TV as a 'replay' later, am sure the crew will do this one... but for this one, will fire up my BBC 5 Live app and see if I can get audio commentary there...

Anyway - finding this on my Apple TV menu was ace - so am pretty chuffed to be able to watch this live - The only downside is that I won't be able to record it on my DVR (but will do when it repeats 12 hours later) ...

Thanks again to all for the help... Problem solved! :) :clap:

Cheers -

BB :cool:

Hungary%20FP2_zpshxbw5v4h.jpg

Edited by BoozeBaron, 22 July 2015 - 12:41.