Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Hamilton at it again: first stir of 2014 already here?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:14

British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton has risked causing a big controversy after he commented that "all things happen for a reason" as he spoke about Michael Schumacher's skiing accident.

Hamilton, who was speaking in Melbourne ahead of the season's opening race in Australia this weekend, explained that the accident in Meribel will "really show his character".

"I feel like all things happen for a reason, I think that this is an experience that will really show his character and depth and even more so than any other experiences he's had."

Hamilton, whose views appear to just reflect his religious outlook, may regret expressing his comments in the way he did, despite the fact that he seemed to only want to show his support for the stricken former F1 driver.

However, Hamilton's knack for causing a stir with his comments is regrettable and, even though his remark was undoubtedly a religious-based comment, some may view it as insensitive given Schumacher's struggles.

Is any criticism just political correctness gone mad or should a sports star who has top PR advisers in camp, such as David Beckham's manager Simon Fuller, be a bit wiser with what he says to the media?

Advertisement

#2 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:16

Your contributing to the problem.

#3 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 1,207 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:16

Let's create a story out of nothing.

#4 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:18

If you are religious, then don't you think all things happen for a reason? 

I'd also like to see the full context of the answer. What's your source?

Edited by stanga, 14 March 2014 - 09:19.

#5 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Your contributing to the problem.

;)

#6 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton has risked causing a big controversy after he commented that "all things happen for a reason" as he spoke about Michael Schumacher's skiing accident.

Hamilton, who was speaking in Melbourne ahead of the season's opening race in Australia this weekend, explained that the accident in Meribel will "really show his character".

"I feel like all things happen for a reason, I think that this is an experience that will really show his character and depth and even more so than any other experiences he's had."

Hamilton, whose views appear to just reflect his religious outlook, may regret expressing his comments in the way he did, despite the fact that he seemed to only want to show his support for the stricken former F1 driver.

However, Hamilton's knack for causing a stir with his comments is regrettable and, even though his remark was undoubtedly a religious-based comment, some may view it as insensitive given Schumacher's struggles.

Is any criticism just political correctness gone mad or should a sports star who has top PR advisers in camp, such as David Beckham's manager Simon Fuller, be a bit wiser with what he says to the media?

Don't you feel dizzy after all the spinning?

#7 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:19

And what exactly is the problem? 

#8 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:19

Erm.... uhm..... no idea.  Like most things said about Schumacher and his accident it's just another banal comment.  Que sera sera... etc

#9 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:21

what's the issue here? Lewis believes as many people do that things happen for a reason, that's all, trying to make this into a story is truly desperate/pathetic and just plain insulting to all involved frankly.

#10 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

To all the people over sensitive to Lewis' comments (both the haters and the lovers).. or his image or whatever else..

Just remember.. in 2 weeks time, no one will remember this story or comment anymore.

#11 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Oh my god how dare he.

#12 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:22

Sorry, maybe not so wise words by Hamilton but, I believe the media wants to give the whole thing another drive, Hamilton is speaking about destiny, not about Schumacher was a bad person, a bad character on the track, though he deserved or caused what he got, more he couldn't do anything about it, because it was determined... Lewis should think about more about the power of media, and the chance they are twisting his words especially regarding a hot topic like that

#13 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:22

No doubt some will try to spin some controversy out of it because that's what some people spend their lives doing sadly.

#14 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:23

Who wrote this nonesense? What's the source?

#15 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:24

Was in the context of Schumacher recovering. Non story

#16 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:26

Could F.M. be Ted Kravitz? This is the kind of gossipy, bitchy angle he loves to do on SKY. What kind of shoes was he wearing F.M? Is he over Nicole, yet? Do tell. It's really, really important we know this stuff.

#17 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:27

Who wrote this nonesense? What's the source?

http://uk.eurosport....-073021889.html

#18 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:27

It looks like Lewis has been completely quoted out of context and if you read the full transcript of the answer he gave, he was very complimentary and heart felt towards Michael yet that one line was picked up by a tabloid rag.

I don't think there is any more more to say on this and the intelligent fans out there will not make anything out of it. Bring on Qualifying. :)

#19 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:28

The full quote is dumber than the separate sentences, but let's be honest - nobody's looking to Lewis Hamilton for the things he says. Let him drive, ignore the rest. Problem solved. :up:

"He's a legend in the sport, you know, who has achieved so much, a very motivated individual. So I feel like all things happen for a reason, I think that this is an experience that will really show his character and depth and even more so than any other experiences he's had."

Advertisement

#20 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:28

Could F.M. be Ted Kravitz? This is the kind of gossipy, bitchy angle he loves to do on SKY. What kind of shoes was he wearing F.M? Is he over Nicole, yet? Do tell. It's really, really important we know this stuff.

I just copy-paste it from Eurosport :p
Lewis' comments and the reactions it provokes are always fun  ;)

#21 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:31

"I think that this is an experience that will really show his character and depth and even more so than any other experiences he's had."

Yes, I think he tried to say something positive about Michael's fighter spirit and he just used the wrong words.,

It could happen to anybody.

#22 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:32

Maybe he misspoke a little, big deal. It's making a fuss about stuff like this that force the drivers to put on the "robot" face. Michael was my childhood hero and i'm no supporter of LH, but whatever. Just them them be.

#23 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:34

I just copy-paste it from Eurosport :p
Lewis' comments and the reactions it provokes are always fun  ;)

Says a huge amount about your character.

#24 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:35

what the hell is this. we have FP1, FP2 Fp3 and a race to look forwrd to and THIS.....I don't understand how someone can read an article and extracted pure nonsense from it  and then hurried away to an autosport forum to create a thread based on total crap.

Jeez, I think some just want their names associated with a thread, what's next

Hamilton attitude sucks cos he doesn't wear a Merc cap  ...wait a min they already did that

Hamilton went to spend time with his girlfriend and he might now be distracted.....they already done that too

Hamilton has a new haircut and he is ony concerned about his image......oops my bad done it already

Hamilton went over a kerb at a chicane at over 150mph and he's a tad aggressive......the cheek of him doing that

some people should get a life

#25 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:37

i guarantee if we had access to the FULL interview it would look quite different from the snippet used to spin things,to cause controversy,just before the first race.

#26 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:40

Hamilton, 29, said: 'As a young driver who watched Michael through his early days, and championship wins, we - as Formula One - will carry him through the whole of the season.

'I am in touch with his people, so I am fortunate to get first-hand news of what is happening and we are all waiting for him to wake up and show those positive signs.

'He's a legend in the sport, you know, who has achieved so much, a very motivated individual.

'So I feel like all things happen for a reason, I think that this is an experience that will really show his character and depth and even more so than any other experiences he's had.

#27 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:40

Come on, it's just a bit of spin on another nothing comment.  These things are well done, create 'hits' and are sucked up by people such as the creator of this topic.

#28 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,439 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:41

I think in the context it is intended, it is very sympathetic. 7 F1 World championships are an amazing achievement but recovering from such an awful accident requires great character.

Zanardi recovering from his accident and overcoming his disability to achieve a gold medal at the London olympics is probably a greater reflection of his depth of character than his 2 CART championships.

#29 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:41

Why do I feel that if the press was banned from circuits and contacting drivers things would go a lot smoother

#30 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:43

Hamilton, 29, said: 'As a young driver who watched Michael through his early days, and championship wins, we - as Formula One - will carry him through the whole of the season.

'I am in touch with his people, so I am fortunate to get first-hand news of what is happening and we are all waiting for him to wake up and show those positive signs.

'He's a legend in the sport, you know, who has achieved so much, a very motivated individual.

'So I feel like all things happen for a reason, I think that this is an experience that will really show his character and depth and even more so than any other experiences he's had.

Taking out the sensationalism and agendas it's a non story and it doesn't belong in Racing Commments anyway, it's not exactly discussing racing.