* * * * - 4 votes

Jenson Button vs Kevin Magnussen 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4029 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:50

I think this could be an interesting one and another test for the underrated JB (imo).

KM has impressed in testing but how will he do at races where the pressure is really on? Personally I think he will improve quickly and could be a real match for JB pace wise.

Ultimately for this season at least I think JB will have the upper hand not least since his style seems to suit the McLaren and the new regs (admittedly that's taken from FP1 and FP2 at race 1 so not exactly scientific). On top of that his race craft and experience is as great as anyone on the grid including FA (imo).

Here's to a good old scrap...

Advertisement

#2 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:08

Kevin has been well spoken off by many people. He seems to be very good. Although I don't think he'll win the first race of the season, I strongly believe he will mature and develop quicker than Grosjean did. 

His biggest test will be staying out of trouble. As long as he qualifies high which i think he'll do, then he'll comfortably edge Button in races. 

#3 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:13

I'll certainly keep a close look. Can't say anything right now, it mostly depends on Kevin's learning curve.

#4 Yenool

Yenool

• 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:13

Button perhaps doesn't have raw pace but as an all around driver package his is very strong and one of the most experienced guys out there.  

So I think it is very difficult for KM given that Mclaren team is pretty much molded around Button. .   If KM out qualifies JB and beats him in the race a few times (5-7?) AND is reasonably close the rest of the time then I think it will be a great season for a rookie. 

#5 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:20

very disapointed in kevin today, i was expecting him to blow away button, and so was he and his Family :-)

#6 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:22

The McLaren team were pretty much moulded round Lewis when Jenson arrived, and he had few problems.  However, that was after Ron, who definitely (in my opinion) plays favourites, had departed following spygate.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the return of Ron

#7 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:26

I didn't realise as well that KM doesn't know Melbourne....seems strange, is there no GP2 here?

Anyway it changes things a bit....he did alright really.

I also wonder how JB will react to the emotions of this weekend without Papa Smurf. He could be on fire or lack lustre..

#8 LightningLewis

LightningLewis

• 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:26

On Danish television a co called "expert" said that Kevin is better than Alonso and Hamilton!  :rotfl:

"Jeg har selv kørt mod Alonso og Hamilton og alle de gutter der, men Kevin er bare lige en lille tand bedre"

Translated: "I myself have driven againt Alonso and Hamilton and all the other guys, but Kevin is just a bit/tad better" http://www.dr.dk/Spo...3/14/090216.htm

#9 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:30

I didn't realise as well that KM doesn't know Melbourne....seems strange, is there no GP2 here?

Anyway it changes things a bit....he did alright really.

I also wonder how JB will react to the emotions of this weekend without Papa Smurf. He could be on fire or lack lustre..

GP2 does not race in Melbourne, but it makes no difference to Magnussen, as he raced in Formula Renault 3.5.

#10 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:33

You have no idea how bad Danish media is at handling this, im so insane tired of them and their braindead coverage and so called experts :rolleyes: and i am Danish so

#11 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:34

GP2 does not race in Melbourne, but it makes no difference to Magnussen, as he raced in Formula Renault 3.5.

Most F1 drivers can learn a new track very fast. Don't forget that he has done countless of laps around the circuit during practice and in the simulator. The only disadvantage he has against Button is knowing when and where around the circuit to overtake. However, Sunday will be all about finishing the race as opposed to fighting tooth and nail for every position. 

#12 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:36

I still think some people got a little too overexcited about Kevin during testing. He might be quite good, but many were hyping him as some sort of superstar and I don't know where that was coming from specifically. Its easy to look good in testing when your teammate isn't on the track with you to provide a comparison.

Don't know how this will play out. I wish him well, but I'd be surprised if he manages to beat a quick, experienced guy like Button.

#13 LightningLewis

LightningLewis

• 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:40

You have no idea how bad Danish media is at handling this, im so insane tired of them and their braindead coverage and so called experts :rolleyes: and i am Danish so

I do, because im Danish too  :p Im really sick of it too.. 

#14 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:53

Some folk come into F1 and immediately make people's heads turn - Alonso and Vettel, for example.  Kevin maybe similar - I hope so, because I'm a McLaren fan, and I want to see him and Jenson fighting wheel to wheel for first and second.

Failing that, I want to see Williams kick everyone's ass, but that's OT for here  ;)

#15 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:03

Me too. I can't believe we're actually calling John Nielsen an "expert" in Formula 1. He started FP1 by claiming it was Magnussen when car #22 went into the pits after the installation lap. The amount of mistakes he makes is ridiculous.

On the topic, I think we won't see Kevin's true potential until appx mid-season. Hopefully, he can stay calm and focused for the first 5-6 races. After that, I think he will give Jenson a run for his money. That said, I rate Button highly, especially in race-craft, and expect Kevin to be at his very best, if he is to have a chance against the coming Mr. Michibata (lucky fella).

#16 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:14

Havnt seen enough ... but, sadly, nothing that I have seen yet suggests that JB will have cause for concern ATM.

#17 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:24

People will think better of Kovi.

Or something.

Despite what I know a lot of contributors to the forum think, I don't believe McLaren as an organisation make many bad decisions. I don't believe that Kevin will prove to be a bad decision, but we don't know yet whether he is a good one.

I think we will see Button showing some early superiority simply because of his experience, but Kevin will catch up on that front given a good team of engineers and if he's smart enough.  If Kevin really is the real deal, then he'll be giving Button some regular qualifying bloody noses even early on but, over the course of a race, I think Button will still come out ahead.

It's reasonable to forgive a new guy that first year and put a lot of it down to inexperience, so if he does start to regularly beat Button over the course of a weekend it will be a pleasant surprise and proof that Mclaren made a great decision.

#18 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:30

Some folk come into F1 and immediately make people's heads turn - Alonso and Vettel, for example.  Kevin maybe similar - I hope so, because I'm a McLaren fan, and I want to see him and Jenson fighting wheel to wheel for first and second.

Failing that, I want to see Williams kick everyone's ass, but that's OT for here  ;)

yeah, for "example" :lol:  he who shall not be named had the most successful rookie year in F1 history, but, yeah, for "example" :rolleyes:

#19 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:34

yeah, for "example" :lol:  he who shall not be named had the most successful rookie year in F1 history, but, yeah, for "example" :rolleyes:

Made me chuckle too.

Advertisement

#20 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:35

People will think better of Kovi.

Or something.

Is this still funny for the second year in a row?

... fair enough, it still is a bit.

#21 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:35

Tough year to be a rookie in F1. A hell of a lot to learn. 

#22 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:37

Some folk come into F1 and immediately make people's heads turn - Alonso and Vettel, for example.  Kevin maybe similar -

Or Kobayashi, or Bianchi. Yeah solid point.

We don't know anything about Kevin yet, so you could say about any rookie that they 'may be similar'.

#23 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:42

I think Kevin needs time to develop, it's all new to him. Yes, he had tested last years car but it's a whole new environment and he's racing against very experienced drivers. In my opinion Jenson is underrated so I can see why people may have expected Kevin to come in and be faster than him immediately but Jenson is a very solid driver. I expect Kevin to improve and I think we'll have to wait until tomorrow and Sunday to even start forming an opinion on him. Two FP sessions aren't enough of a sample.

#24 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:49

Made me chuckle too.

More so because he's a Mclaren fan.

#25 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:50

Not so sure - Nothing to unlearn.

#26 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:52

Is this still funny for the second year in a row?

... fair enough, it still is a bit.

I think it's 0.6s funnier than last year.

#27 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:56

I still think some people got a little too overexcited about Kevin during testing. He might be quite good, but many were hyping him as some sort of superstar and I don't know where that was coming from specifically. Its easy to look good in testing when your teammate isn't on the track with you to provide a comparison.

Don't know how this will play out. I wish him well, but I'd be surprised if he manages to beat a quick, experienced guy like Button.

Agreed, although the way McLaren themselves have constantly been hyping him out on statements for me is more telling than any testing times... he's probably gonna be good and have an impressive rookie season but I don't expect him to beat Button.

#28 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:08

I trust Mclaren to know Magnussen very very well, they are not often bringing a driver directly from a junior formula directly in to the team, they did with Kevin and dropped Perez in the process less than a year after hiring him. Australia is as far as I see it an outlier when being compared to Button, a street circuit which he have never driven and which Button have won on 3 times the last 5 years. I would expect that if anywhere, then here Button would have the upper leg.

Qualifying is not over, race have not been run so this may still be Kevin's weekend.

For the season I expect a pretty close run by the two drivers, there will be weekends where Button is the better, there will be weekends where Magnussen will be the stronger. Rightly or wrongly a generally held view of Button is that his comfort zone is not as wide as some of the other top drivers, that when the car is to his liking he is as strong as anyone out there, but when it is off he struggle where the more accomplished drivers can wring a result from the cars he is not able to. There is no real absolutes in these views and opinions, however personally I do see Button as a tad lower than Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso all of whom I see as able to bring more from the car, than what the car 'can really do' - this is obviously not correct if they get a result from it, then it is possible to get the result and that is what the car can do, is just harder and needs the talent they have.

The real test for Magnussen will be how well he adapt to F1 as a whole, how well he perform with the tools at hand, how well he compare to Button in setup, speed, qualifying and race. McLaren have gone all in on him, I expect that he will prove them right and by the end of the season will be seen at least as good as Botton. Pointswise between them it will to an extent depend on reliability, race-wise I think they will be almost even.

:cool:

#29 Arn

Arn

• 1,721 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:37

Being 0,5 seconds behind Button after your first day in F1 and not damaging your car is not too bad.

Also Kevin messed up his fast low fuel run on his softs. He made mistakes on his first 2 flying laps, and by the 3. flying lap after 2 cool down/recharging laps in between the flyers, the tires had already gone and that was his fastest lap of the day. That's what he said on the radio in the pits. He also sounded a bit nervous to me.

Button did his fastest lap on his first flying lap on the softs, so Kevin should have more/easier potential to improve.

Compared to Kvyat he also had a more incident free first day.

I also agree that Melbourne will probably be one of the harder weekends for him. Hopefully he will improve more tomorrow and run Button fairly close.

Edited by Arn, 14 March 2014 - 13:38.

#30 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:40

I'm stunned that Button is STILL underrated in this forum. Yes it's only a couple of practice sessions but is anyone really surprised that Kevin didn't match Jenson's pace in them? If he proves to be a match for Button this year I will be seriously impressed, because I think Button will be totally on form all year with a car that seems to react well to changes. Plus I think the pressure from Ron will drive Jenson to greater heights (he may have been too comfortable with MW). All of that adds up to an immense challenge for a rookie driver. It's a much tougher ask that what Sergio faced last year when McLaren had a bad car with no recovery in sight, which is the worst case scenario for a veteran driver from a motivational standpoint. That said, I think Kevin might be good enough to give Button a run and if he is then he's a future WDC in my eyes.

#31 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:51

Please remember, if you need an example of an impressive rookie, be sure to use Lewis Hamilton. Thanks.

#32 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:01

I think Kev may do better in qualifying but JB will handle him quite easily over the course of a season. However I'm a bit worried about how the political fallout at McLaren will effect him with Ron Dennis looming over the ghost of Perez etc etc

#33 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:02

I'm stunned that Button is STILL underrated in this forum. Yes it's only a couple of practice sessions but is anyone really surprised that Kevin didn't match Jenson's pace in them? If he proves to be a match for Button this year I will be seriously impressed, because I think Button will be totally on form all year with a car that seems to react well to changes. Plus I think the pressure from Ron will drive Jenson to greater heights (he may have been too comfortable with MW). All of that adds up to an immense challenge for a rookie driver. It's a much tougher ask that what Sergio faced last year when McLaren had a bad car with no recovery in sight, which is the worst case scenario for a veteran driver from a motivational standpoint. That said, I think Kevin might be good enough to give Button a run and if he is then he's a future WDC in my eyes.

Let them... they'll just have egg on their face later on.

#34 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:03

Button will outscore Mag, but the young gun will eventually put in strong performances in quali and races by mid season. Heck, he might surprise tomorrow.

#35 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:04

Kevin in his first season just has to aim to be as good as Jenson, who is an incredibly high benchmark. To be .5 seconds off in both sessions is a good start.

#36 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:09

Interested to see how Magnussen measures up to Button. You have to expect Button to win this teammate battle as he is the proven WDC but hopefully Magnussen can be competitive in the second half of the season (if not sooner) and we have another top class driver in F1.

#37 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:16

Problem with Kevin, McLaren was selling him as the next big thing in F1 to the point they sacked Sergio Perez for him, despite the later was doing a decent job against Button with the car their had last year. If Kevin fails to match or beat  Button, at least in quali like Sergio Perez did, it's game over for him. In my opinion, obviously!

#38 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:19

I take it I commited some faux-pas with my comments - but  since I think expressions like "rookie of the year" are ludicrous in F1 - these guys will have been driving competitively for ages, I've never paid attention to them, and couldn't tell you who had ever been given that accolade - I was merely stating that some drivers hit the ground running - the first I remember was Fittipaldi...

#39 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:19

Problem with Kevin, McLaren was selling him as the next big thing in F1 to the point they sacked Sergio Perez for him, despite the later was doing a decent job against Button with the car their had last year. If Kevin fails to match or beat  Button, at least in quali like Sergio Perez did, it's game over for him. In my opinion, obviously!

It's different to Perez... he had had 2 seasons at Sauber to hone his craft, and was expected to be able to jump right into really challenging Jenson, which he never did. Magnussen will be given a break as he's a rookie, but McLaren obviously believed that he was too good not to put in the car straight away.

Advertisement

#40 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:20

Given their experience, if Kevin is as close to Jenson as Perez was, he already did a more impressive job than Perez. And I don't believe it's hard to do, as Perez set a pretty low benchmark for that in 2013.

Edited by Lights, 14 March 2014 - 14:20.

#41 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:28

Given their experience, if Kevin is as close to Jenson as Perez was, he already did a more impressive job than Perez. And I don't believe it's hard to do, as Perez set a pretty low benchmark for that in 2013.

Overall, Perez has beaten Jenson in quali. Performance wise, their race pace were pretty similar. Button had the edge and finished with more points though. Perez was inconsistent, had a few crashes and problems during the races thus the difference in points with Button but his pace was similar to Button. If Kevin can't do that, he'll be the next Paul Di Resta.

#42 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:30

I'm curious how Perez does against the highly-rated Hulkenberg this year - it's  big season for Sergio.

Kevin will be fine. The team is going to be patient with him as long as he's making progress.

#43 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:30

And where did qualifying get Sergio? 24 points down on Jenson.

#44 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,542 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:38

I think it may turn out to be a good year to be a rookie, especially at McLaren. The cars are very different; heavier, less fuel, completely different power plants, different aerodynamic balance. All the drivers will be learning how to get the best out of them, not just the rookies. McLaren have a new TP and Ron Dennis is back after a term in exile on Elba in road cars (sorry, wrong tyrant).

McLaren have a pretty good record on choosing drivers, I doubt that they have picked a dud this year. I'm not going to make a prediction as to which of the McLaren drivers will come out on top this year, but it wouldn't surprise me if the result is determined more by attitude than talent. 

#45 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:40

And where did qualifying get Sergio? 24 points down on Jenson.

My point is, if Kevin doesn't do better than that, he should get sacked as well. That's why I think how he does compare to Jenson ,this year, could determine his future in F1.

What was Martin Whitmarsh words again? "the problem wasn't Perez but the immense talent of Kevin". Time for Kevin to demonstrate his immense talent :up:

#46 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:42

My point is, if Kevin doesn't do better than that, he should get sacked as well. That's why I think how he does compare to Jenson ,this year, could determine his future in F1.

What was Martin Whitmarsh words again? "the problem wasn't Perez but the immense talent of Kevin". Time for Kevin to demonstrate his immense talent :up:

Demonstrate in races yes, not qualifying sessions.

#47 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:07

Exactly. You only score points, podiums and wins in races.

#48 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:25

Jenson you have to expect to come out on top this year, but for the future of McLaren I want to see Kevin go well.

It'll be interesting to see if all the hype around Kevin turns out to be true. It'll also be interesting to see how it all pans out for Jenson - F1 will be a very different world for him without his old man around.

Its set to be another fascinating season IMHO. Good luck to both men:)

Why should he be sacked just because Perez was? Perez wasnt a rookie, Kevin is. Its time to show his talent yes, but lets leave the sacking talk well alone just yet, shall we.

#49 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:33

Jenson you have to expect to come out on top this year, but for the future of McLaren I want to see Kevin go well.

It'll be interesting to see if all the hype around Kevin turns out to be true. It'll also be interesting to see how it all pans out for Jenson - F1 will be a very different world for him without his old man around.

Its set to be another fascinating season IMHO. Good luck to both men:)

Why should he be sacked just because Perez was? Perez wasnt a rookie, Kevin is. Its time to show his talent yes, but lets leave the sacking talk well alone just yet, shall we.

I hope it'll drive him on.

#50 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:33

Button. On the plus side if he can produce another season at the top of his game, then a solid baseline McLaren reacting well to set up changes and developments are just the tools JB needs to show once again that his speed, intelligence, experience and craft are a formidable combination that made him a WDC and Hamilton beater. If that happens, I think he could beat KM by a significant margin. I think the new rules are going to create complex, chaotic racing which is JB's forte, but in the summer of his F1 career now, he cannot afford another season where he cannot get the maximum out the car. I hope that Ron Dennis' "Senna-esqe Intelligence" and the passing of Papa Smurf fire JB up for a cracking season - my only concern (a big one) is if JB has peaked or perhaps already decided that he will retire at the end of this season...

Magnum: No hype, this boy is quick, that is for sure. However, since the days of limited testing, there hasn't been a rookie who has arrived at the front on the grid under this much pressure and that aligned with the complexity of the cars and the racing, is surely too much to master AND overcome a WDC teammate in a debut season. I think he will show his speed this season, but he'll be inconsistent. I think anybody who sees a 50pt + gap between JB and KM at the end of the season and says "mistake to sack Perez" will be missing the point entirely - KM is a longer term investment. Bottom line is I'll be amazed if KM beat JB this season (unless the fire in JB goes out), but I think he'll build a strong reputation for himself and show great speed.