* * * * - 4 votes

Jenson Button vs Kevin Magnussen 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4029 replies to this topic

#51 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,535 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:34

My point is, if Kevin doesn't do better than that, he should get sacked as well. 

<FACE PALM>

Advertisement

#52 ATM

ATM

• 248 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:42

My point is, if Kevin doesn't do better than that, he should get sacked as well. 

Let's give the kid a break, these are his first practice sessions. No need to turn up the pressure just yet.

Besides, even if Jenson is not on par with Alonso or Vettel on speed alone, he is still a damn good driver when it comes to intelligence. Asking a rookie to equal that from the start is really too much. 

#53 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,744 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:49

Given the hype and the similarities (McLaren driver programme, WDC team-mate) it seems to me it's inevitable that Lewis’ debut season will end up being the benchmark against which Kevin’s year will be judged. This doesn’t give him much room for a learning year and he needs to be a pain in Jenson’s side sooner rather than later.

#54 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 882 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 16:38

<FACE PALM>

Face Palm will be IF Kevin is half second slower than Button when he must do better than Sergio Perez did last year. Pressure is on everyone, even on Button. Game on!

#55 sergeym

sergeym

• 534 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 16:43

Face Palm will be IF Kevin is half second slower than Button when he must do better than Sergio Perez did last year. Pressure is on everyone, even on Button. Game on!

Drawing conclusions based on FP1-2 time at the first GP of the season is completely useless. We won't know anything until at least quali - and even then not much.

Expecting a newbie to match world champion and one of the most experienced drivers on the grid straight away is unreasonable.

#56 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 16:58

Is 0.499s behind ok?

#57 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,690 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 17:16

*Sucks air through teeth.*

#58 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,865 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 17:36

It's been strongly hinted several times by several sources that one of the reasons Pérez was replaced by Magnussen was an attitude problem, not necessarily just performance. I also think his performance was actually pretty good, but the most concerning thing was that he didn't show the potential to improve on it much so the team didn't believe they had a future leader driver in there. So back to Magnussen I don't think he needs to be as close to Button in points as Pérez was - if he has glimpses of speed that show potential, and if by the end of the season he's starting to run Button close consistently I think that will be enough. McLaren are aware they've gone for a driver at an earlier stage of his development, he just needs to do enough for them to keep their belief in him.

But there is pressure yes. A lot of it. Because of the history and the performance of the team, because of the Hamilton example, because of the need to show they've not made a mistake in sacking Pérez, because of how under-rated a world champion like Button is. Glorious opportunity for Magnussen no doubt but a very hard job as well.

#59 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,596 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 17:51

Is 0.499s behind ok?

Yes that should be fine.

:cool:

Advertisement

#60 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 18:07

It's been strongly hinted several times by several sources that one of the reasons Pérez was replaced by Magnussen was an attitude problem, not necessarily just performance. I also think his performance was actually pretty good, but the most concerning thing was that he didn't show the potential to improve on it much so the team didn't believe they had a future leader driver in there. So back to Magnussen I don't think he needs to be as close to Button in points as Pérez was - if he has glimpses of speed that show potential, and if by the end of the season he's starting to run Button close consistently I think that will be enough. McLaren are aware they've gone for a driver at an earlier stage of his development, he just needs to do enough for them to keep their belief in him.

But there is pressure yes. A lot of it. Because of the history and the performance of the team, because of the Hamilton example, because of the need to show they've not made a mistake in sacking Pérez, because of how under-rated a world champion like Button is. Glorious opportunity for Magnussen no doubt but a very hard job as well.

:up:  Great post noikeee

#61 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,462 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 18:09

Pretty much, well said.

McLaren had no choice but to sack Perez after what he did (or didn't do) off the track. The only argument I would say its fair is that they didn't bring Hulkenberg instead of Magnussen, but sooner or later McLaren had to give one if its kids a chance so why not now.

As for Magnussens performance, he's gonna get all year to prove it, if at the end of the year he's fighting with Button on Saturdays and Race then he'll be retained, no matter what his points are. Obviously if he's never close he's going to be replaced, but I doubt that happens

#62 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 18:24

I take it I commited some faux-pas with my comments - but  since I think expressions like "rookie of the year" are ludicrous in F1 - these guys will have been driving competitively for ages, I've never paid attention to them, and couldn't tell you who had ever been given that accolade - I was merely stating that some drivers hit the ground running - the first I remember was Fittipaldi...

But ofcourse that was different back then. I remember Alison Whatzhername, one of the developers of the extremely realistic F1 game GP Legends, tell in a interview that she had driven more laps around Monza than Jim Clark ever had done, thanks to the simulation. 

When Michael Schumacher debuted with Jordan in 1991 he lied to Eddie Jordan that he had driven there before, so his debut was crazy impressive if you compare it to any rookie now, who can probably tell you all the braking points of every damn track on the calendar, because of the simulator. 

That is not to say that Hamilton was not stunningly impressive, he was, he was. But it still is different. Compared to Fittipaldi he drove many more races BEFORE in F1, especially in excellent preparing machinery like GP2 cars. Fittipaldi had about 8 races in F2 before his F1 debut...

EDIT: The lady in question was called Alison Hine. 

Edited by Nemo1965, 14 March 2014 - 18:25.

#63 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,862 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 18:45

Kevin got a lot more mileage in winter testing than Jenson did, due to Jenson being more affected by mechanical issues.

For that reason, I was expecting him to do rather better than he did today. But it's just one day.

#64 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 18:57

McLaren had no choice but to sack Perez after what he did (or didn't do) off the track. 

I didn't know about this, McLaren seemed to speak highly of Perez after they let him go. What does Magnussen have to do off track/attitude wise to fare better at Mclaren?

#65 Lights

Lights

• 9,883 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 19:11

I didn't know about this, McLaren seemed to speak highly of Perez after they let him go. What does Magnussen have to do off track/attitude wise to fare better at Mclaren?

Same for Kovalainen. In both cases because even though they weren't the right fit for McLaren, they wanted to keep them on the grid. Not much point in badmouthing a former driver.

#66 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,462 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 19:53

Here's another strong rumor going around:

Last year Perez was given the honor of driving the Senna car at the Goodwood festival, apparently there was a super important dinner that night organized by Ron Dennis that night and Perez didn't show up. Makes sense given it was Rons decision to sack him

#67 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,631 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 19:57

McLaren will have KM for at least two years I think. He needs a bit of nurturing. Put it this way he will have to royally F it up this season for them too drop him and I think most can see that he is better than that. He is a champ after all.

Someone mentioned it being a hard year to be a rookie and I would agree with that. It will make racecraft that much more challenging and this is JB's domain.

On top of that I get the impression JB likes this car and he was one of few that didn't have any off track moments today. He will be quick as any if the car is up to it.

#68 pathogen

pathogen

• 149 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 20:00

both are cute, and fast and pretty... a perfect couple for the bald man.

#69 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,483 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 20:29

Brilliant

#70 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 21:37

Same for Kovalainen. In both cases because even though they weren't the right fit for McLaren, they wanted to keep them on the grid. Not much point in badmouthing a former driver.

Or... with my cynical hat on... they big up the driver they're getting rid of in order to potentially weaken the sucker team that takes him on.

Edited by DanardiF1, 14 March 2014 - 21:39.

#71 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 21:40

I call that hat Ron by the way...

#72 icecream_man

icecream_man

• 1,031 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 23:21

I don't expect Jenson to get too much of a tough time of it this year, with his experience and smooth style I think he'll easily beat his teammate, but if KM learns rapidly he could well be starting to snap at Jenson's heels towards the latter part of the season, if he plays his cards right he'll definitely be one to watch for the future, seems a decent guy too

#73 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 650 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 23:37

To finish first, first you must be finnish. How is Jenson going to find things now

#74 turssi

turssi

• 1,558 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 00:06

Here's hoping for one more diamond to form. Would be great to have a new top driver in F1 in the form of Magnum.

#75 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 937 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 00:19

It's different to Perez... he had had 2 seasons at Sauber to hone his craft, and was expected to be able to jump right into really challenging Jenson, which he never did. Magnussen will be given a break as he's a rookie, but McLaren obviously believed that he was too good not to put in the car straight away.

Maybe not so much in races, but he did outqualify JB last year. Perez actually compared quite favourably to him.

#76 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,690 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:05

First blood to KMag :)

#77 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,201 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:07

I can't help but feel disappointed for Jenson though.

#78 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:12

Yea he would of been right up there . Hopefully he comes through in the race.

#79 Solari12

Solari12

• 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:13

Damn Kmag nice job youngster.

Advertisement

#80 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,201 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:14

And we don't get live timing so I couldn't see sector times. I heard them say he was fastest in S2 (did I hear that correctly?) and then he's out.

#81 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:15

Disappointed for Jenson and how track position worked out, but K-Mag did not hold back today. I was not expecting a top 4.. Fantastic

#82 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:15

Nice job from Kevin there... maturely driven.

Shame for Jenson, he seemed to be the only one who took the double yellows seriously, perhaps that'll pay off later on.

#83 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:16

Shame for Jenson, he seemed to be the only one who took the double yellows seriously, perhaps that'll pay off later on.

I thought JEV even went green through there!

#84 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,925 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:16

Yea he would of been right up there . Hopefully he comes through in the race.

Yep, great debut performance from Kevin  :up:  :up:  Unfortunate timing for Button but the car looks to have the pace behind Mercedes/RB so hopefully a good platform.

#85 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,338 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:19

I haven't seen the reports but I get the impression that it had started raining again on the back of the circuit where he was which was the main problem.

#86 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:20

I thought JEV even went green through there!

Several drivers did. They do measure it by whether you slow in the individual section that is under yellows, but this was a double yellow situation not a single, which then means you have to significantly slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary. Those who set green S1 times obviously did not do that.

#87 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:21

I haven't seen the reports but I get the impression that it had started raining again on the back of the circuit where he was which was the main problem.

He lost the time in S1, and was behind Kimi on track... it would suggest he slowed down for the double yellows.

#88 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:23

Jenson just confirmed he lost the time slowing for Kimi's crash.

#89 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:25

I don't see anyone moaning... I'm happy for Kevin, but Jenson missed out on Q3 due to circumstances out of his control.

#90 Lights

Lights

• 9,883 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:27

First strike by Kevin. He impressed me today.

#91 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:28

First strike by Kevin. He impressed me today.

Likewise. Took to the conditions like the proverbial duck.

#92 Lights

Lights

• 9,883 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:35

Btw I struggle to warm up to the 'Kmag' tag.

#93 slideways

slideways

• 3,312 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:37

I don't see anyone moaning... I'm happy for Kevin, but Jenson missed out on Q3 due to circumstances out of his control.

He could have kept his foot in like everyone else.

As long as he did not set a considerably quicker delta he would not get penalised.

#94 bogi

bogi

• 3,160 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:40

Btw I struggle to warm up to the 'Kmag' tag.

It sounds like rap name for the white guys.

#95 Lights

Lights

• 9,883 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:41

It sounds like rap name for the white guys.

Precisely. For me Kevin will do. At least in this topic. But to each his own.

#96 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:43

Jenson just confirmed he lost the time slowing for Kimi's crash.

I saw it,bad luck... but he will improve tomorrow i think,Jeson is awesome here.

Good for Kmag,no mistake and pushing hard.

Edited by Boxerevo, 15 March 2014 - 07:44.

#97 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:04

Jbut got Kmaged 

#98 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,201 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:05

Jbut got Kmaged 

Eek! No. Haha!

#99 nosecone

nosecone

• 933 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:09

Good job by Kmag :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:  (first Q and with those difficult conditions he made a very good job)

Button just had no luck (in those conditions you must be at the right place at the right time)

I won't draw any conclusions from this Q regarding who's better

Advertisement

#100 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:15

Great job by KMag, a rookie driving a torquey tricky car, around a tricky circuit, in very tricky conditions.  Very unlucky for JB who got caught out by yellow flags at the worst moment.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 15 March 2014 - 08:15.