Jbut got Kmaged 

Right! This is going in very bad directions...  :lol:

Advertisement

#102 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,246 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:17

Nice work by KM ... bad luck on JB. 

Decent start to the season ... considering how the last test went.

Looking forward to see how KM handles the race.

Great to see Ron so happy!!

#103 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,146 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:26

Unconstructive post removed, if you're going to make a point, let's lay it out constructively without baiting others.

Also - focus on the post and not the poster. Thanks   :)

#104 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,837 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:32

Just seen Kevin's interview post quali  :up:  I'm really warming to him. Good work ethic, modest with it and his pace is a bonus.

#105 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:33

Unconstructive post removed, if you're going to make a point, let's lay it out constructively without baiting others.

Also - focus on the poster and not the post. Thanks   :)

Shouldn't that be the other way round? :p

#106 Exb

Exb

• 1,117 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:47

Great start from Kevin, he has been very impressive so far and has taken everything in his stride - it couldn't really have been a more difficult session and he kept it all together.

Unlucky for Jenson, he was looking very quick early on in Q2 and it has probably ended up a great opportunity wasted due to having to back off on his final lap due to yellow flags as he could have been right up there in the mix - however when conditions are bad there is always a risk that yellow flags might happen so not sure why JB hadn't set another lap earlier to make sure he was always at the sharp end, will have to rewatch qualifying later to see what went on and why he had slid so far down that he had to rely on that 1 lap at the end.

#107 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:57

Congratulations to Kevin.  In one of the many 'choose the winner in Melbourne', I selected Jenson Button to stand on the top of the podium.

#108 LightningLewis

LightningLewis

• 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:25

Danish media does it again: "Magnussen minder om Senna" = "Magnussen similar to Senna" and "Man skal tilbage til Ayrton Senna for at finde noget lignende" = "One must return to Ayrton Senna to find something similar"

http://sporten.tv2.d...minder-om-senna

Perhaps it's a bit overrated, I would say! 

#109 ermo

ermo

• 119 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:54

Danish media does it again: "Magnussen minder om Senna" = "Magnussen similar to Senna" and "Man skal tilbage til Ayrton Senna for at finde noget lignende" = "One must return to Ayrton Senna to find something similar"

Agreed -- Kevin is super hyped in here in Denmark.  I just hope it quiets down a bit over time -- no shame in being beaten by Jenson and the other 4 WDCs on the grid.

#110 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,605 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:57

Lewis qualified 4th on debut in a McLaren. His teammate was 2nd however. Just saying.

#111 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:31

Lewis qualified 4th on debut in a McLaren. His teammate was 2nd however. Just saying.

Jacques qualified 1st on debut in a Williams. His teammate was 2nd however. Just saying.

Any other pointless trivia you wish to entertain us with?

Edited by Force Ten, 15 March 2014 - 11:39.

#112 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:01

As I tweeted earlier.

For lewis, 4th/5th was the min he could achieve with the car he had. K-Mag however had conditions arguably against him... and perhaps not a top4 car.

#113 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:04

Beginners luck, let's see what he can do from there.

#114 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,224 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:08

As I tweeted earlier.
For lewis, 4th/5th was the min he could achieve with the car he had. K-Mag however had conditions arguably against him... and perhaps not a top4 car.

The conditions were against everybody.

And are you saying that if it was dry, he would have qualified higher? Cuz if not, then the conditions arguably helped him.

#115 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 242 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:17

Magnussen fantastic save on his P4 run:

http://gfycat.com/Co...ringBassethound

#116 Hans V

Hans V

• 335 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:26

The way I see it is that the team made two fatal errors.

Who died?

#117 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,054 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:52

Very impressive by Magnussen, he did what he was supposed to do, which was to show he was ready for F1. That he did emphatically and we can look forward to a season where he will be in points, battle his team mate, win some of those battles and lose some of those battles.

Seems having a Danish F1 driver makes all Danes crazy. Working for a Danish company in New York, I have 10 - 15 Danish coworkers who have never in their life showed any interest in F1, 4 of whom had a F1 party last night following qualifying, and all of them intend to see the race.

I have fielded F1 questions the past month and a half, regardless of the opinion this board have of me, I am in their eyes I am an expert in these matters.

:cool:

#118 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 13:37

This is good for Kevin. He needs to go out quickly and make this "his team". So far, so good.

#119 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:02

Beginners luck, let's see what he can do from there.

Oh yeah, he lucked into keeping the car on the black stuff in difficult conditions and drew P4 out of a hat...

In the dry Q1 both him and Button was on the options, and while Kevin made his fast lap on his first try, Button made a mistake on his first lap and had to do an extra fast lap.

Advertisement

#120 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:05

Easy to say of course.

it appears that they needed two "warm up" laps before the flying lap to get the tyres working properly. Button only had one, so I would guess his tyres were not optimal. From "mclaren live" it looks to me that the pit-wall broke off the attempt because he was 1.2 second down to his previous time somewhere around mid-way.

- Did not change early enough onto new inters to allow the two warm-up laps.

- Broke-off the final attempt. (you never know!). In the end he only had to go a tenth better than his previous time - perhaps the pit wall thought he was safe.

Kevins strategy looked a safe one and worked well. 

Kevin didn't need 2 laps to warm up his inters. Both his Q2 and Q3 fastest laps were right after the out lap.

#121 MinT

MinT

• 2,003 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:23

Button - ever the gentleman and pulling up for the yellow - meanwhile the young guns carry on pounding around.

It seems increasingly likely this will be JB's last season.

#122 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:25

In the dry Q1 both him and Button was on the options, and while Kevin made his fast lap on his first try, Button made a mistake on his first lap and had to do an extra fast lap.

What mistake did he make?

#123 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,687 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:29

Easy to say of course.

it appears that they needed two "warm up" laps before the flying lap to get the tyres working properly. Button only had one, so I would guess his tyres were not optimal. From "mclaren live" it looks to me that the pit-wall broke off the attempt because he was 1.2 second down to his previous time somewhere around mid-way.

- Did not change early enough onto new inters to allow the two warm-up laps.

- Broke-off the final attempt. (you never know!). In the end he only had to go a tenth better than his previous time - perhaps the pit wall thought he was safe.

Kevins strategy looked a safe one and worked well. 

Regardless of a new regime, not the first time they have mismanaged this kind of situation.

#124 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:37

What mistake did he make?

I don't know, it wasn't shown but he only did a 1:32.1 while Kevin did a 1:30.9.

#125 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:43

I don't know, it wasn't shown but he only did a 1:32.1 while Kevin did a 1:30.9.

Well then we're not really sure if it was a mistake. I haven't heard anything about it. But fair enough, it could be. Either way, the extra lap in Q1 didn't affect Button for Q2, where he was simply on the unfortunate side.

#126 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:59

Well then we're not really sure if it was a mistake. I haven't heard anything about it. But fair enough, it could be. Either way, the extra lap in Q1 didn't affect Button for Q2, where he was simply on the unfortunate side.

Given what McLaren did in the free practices, I think their plan was to do the fastest lap on the first flying lap, because the tires are going off after 1 or 2 laps. Button managed to do that in both FP1 and FP2 while Kevin struggled and needed a few laps to get it right. In Q1 Kevin managed to do according to plan, and I strongly suspect Button made a mistake, hence why he needed a lap to recharge (1:52.6) and then a new flying lap.

#127 Risil

Risil

• 13,423 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:11

Wasn't Jan Magnussen "the next Senna" after his British F3 championship?

#128 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:23

Wasn't Jan Magnussen "the next Senna" after his British F3 championship?

Yes! And that was not only the danish media. Remember Jackie Stewart? Also the Danish commentator during that time said that he was sure Jan would be WDC within a few years after he had his ok debut race in Aida.

F1 knowledge among normal people in Denmark is very limited, and you can see that in the F1 coverage. It is like the "experts" are trying to overdo each other in hype just to get their 15 minutes of fame on TV. Experts are sure Button is a pushover and the generel public think that Kevin is the favorite to win the WDC this year. 

#129 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:58

Given what McLaren did in the free practices, I think their plan was to do the fastest lap on the first flying lap, because the tires are going off after 1 or 2 laps. Button managed to do that in both FP1 and FP2 while Kevin struggled and needed a few laps to get it right. In Q1 Kevin managed to do according to plan, and I strongly suspect Button made a mistake, hence why he needed a lap to recharge (1:52.6) and then a new flying lap.

I just checked some data. Rosberg, Hamilton, Vettel, Massa, Bottas, maybe others, they all did a stint of 3 laps (hotlap, recharge, another hotlap) at the start of Q1, just like Jenson. I suspect this was a planned strategy and Jenson was just a little careful with the option tires during the first hotlap as to not overuse them.

#130 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 16:24

I just checked some data. Rosberg, Hamilton, Vettel, Massa, Bottas, maybe others, they all did a stint of 3 laps (hotlap, recharge, another hotlap) at the start of Q1, just like Jenson. I suspect this was a planned strategy and Jenson was just a little careful with the option tires during the first hotlap as to not overuse them.

They definately all were fueled to have several laps because the chances of a mistake is very high, but Rosberg and Hamilton were on the primes and I don't know about Massa and Bottas. Vettel was on options but he had his issues. It's just that the optimum was to have your fastest lap on the first flying lap on the options. Maybe Button took it easy on his first flyer but he didn't do that in the free practices. It's just impressive that Kevin could do it when it counted.

Hamilton (even on primes), Alonso, Kimi, Ricciardo, Vettel, Hulkenberg, Vergne, Kvyat all did their fastest lap on their first flyer. I havent checked many others.

#131 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,144 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 16:30

Kevin didn't need 2 laps to warm up his inters. Both his Q2 and Q3 fastest laps were right after the out lap.

You of course are correct, and shows I should not read FIA documents on an empty brain. (although I still think they should have come in a lap earlier like  some of the others... last moment risk taking should not be necessary in Q2 with the probability of a crash happening).

Having done some in depth research (!)  the problem was that Button was right at the back. When the yellow came out (which was after the crash) there was a bunch of cars already in the yellow zone headed by Magnussen, so he was about subject to yellow conditions for about 4 seconds.Button had the whole section in yellow to deal with. 

Edited by WitnessX, 15 March 2014 - 16:30.

#132 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 242 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 16:39

Yes! And that was not only the danish media. Remember Jackie Stewart? Also the Danish commentator during that time said that he was sure Jan would be WDC within a few years after he had his ok debut race in Aida.

F1 knowledge among normal people in Denmark is very limited, and you can see that in the F1 coverage. It is like the "experts" are trying to overdo each other in hype just to get their 15 minutes of fame on TV. Experts are sure Button is a pushover and the generel public think that Kevin is the favorite to win the WDC this year. 

Jan probably could have been WDC, if he had the same attitude as his son, but alas, wasn't to be. And I disagree that the generel public opinion in Denmark is that he will be WDC this year. The generel opinion is that he will be WDC within a few years, but won't be this year.

#133 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 807 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 16:48

Jan probably could have been WDC, if he had the same attitude as his son, but alas, wasn't to be. And I disagree that the generel public opinion in Denmark is that he will be WDC this year. The generel opinion is that he will be WDC within a few years, but won't be this year.

But then Jan wouldn't have been Jan!

I like this Kevin lad.  He has a big chance, like Button had in 2003, to prove himself against a former WDC.

#134 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 16:55

Button - ever the gentleman and pulling up for the yellow - meanwhile the young guns carry on pounding around.

It seems increasingly likely this will be JB's last season.

And the young guns still end up chasing Jenson in the races and points...

#135 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:01

Just seen Kevin's interview post quali  :up:  I'm really warming to him. Good work ethic, modest with it and his pace is a bonus.

Guy is highly intelligent, and seems to be hardcore.  He is the most interesting prospect I have seen for a long time.

And the young guns still end up chasing Jenson in the races and points...

I think so, but he is going to have his hands full with this one, IMHO.

#136 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:04

Guy is highly intelligent, and seems to be hardcore.  He is the most interesting prospect I have seen for a long time.

I think so, but he is going to have his hands full with this one, IMHO.

I agree, but I think he needs it. He wasn't challenged enough by Perez last season, and having Lewis for a teammate before was really good for Jenson IMO.

#137 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,144 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:20

They definately all were fueled to have several laps because the chances of a mistake is very high, but Rosberg and Hamilton were on the primes and I don't know about Massa and Bottas. Vettel was on options but he had his issues. It's just that the optimum was to have your fastest lap on the first flying lap on the options. Maybe Button took it easy on his first flyer but he didn't do that in the free practices. It's just impressive that Kevin could do it when it counted.

Hamilton (even on primes), Alonso, Kimi, Ricciardo, Vettel, Hulkenberg, Vergne, Kvyat all did their fastest lap on their first flyer. I havent checked many others.

Normally the engineers give them a target time to based on their estimates and they knew a 1:32 would get them through. I can understand with Kevin it would be the best idea just to get him through Q1 without any dramas occurring and not having to pace himself. However it did look as if they were checking something (temperatures?) on Buttons car.

#138 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:23

Well, the few polls I have stumbled upon on some danish websites have Kevin as clear favorite to win the WDC this year, but likely many people don't vote with their heads but with their hearts. Still, if you read many of the comments normal news sites, you get the impression that most people are clueless about F1.

#139 Arn

Arn

• 1,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:30

Normally the engineers give them a target time to based on their estimates and they knew a 1:32 would get them through. I can understand with Kevin it would be the best idea just to get him through Q1 without any dramas occurring and not having to pace himself. However it did look as if they were checking something (temperatures?) on Buttons car.

I doubt they can be so sure about what exact time is enough to make them go through when there have been so many unknowns so far.

If they were sure Buttons first lap  of 1:32.1 would have been easily enough to make it into Q2, then there would be no need for him to coast around for one lap and then do a faster flyer. As it turned out, it was easily enough. They just did it because they knew the first lap, for what ever reason, was far from what he could do.

Advertisement

#140 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 906 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:46

Well, if reports are to be believed, Magnussen got his seat this year on the say of Ron Dennis who is known to play favourites. This doesn't bode well for Button. The general body language of Ron Dennis during coverage of Qualifying was interesting - lots of smiles at the performance of Magnussen, This sort of thing along with quotes saying that Hamliton is welcome back as would Alonso be suggest that this if not Buttons last in F1 it could well be his last in a McLaren unless he has a much better year than his previous two as I cannot see Ron Dennis bailing on Magnussen if his results are worthwhile.

#141 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:55

I didn't see much of Ron's body language, must have missed it. I also think you can't simply get rid of Jenson. And I'm quite confident that Jenson will show why this season. It will be hard to justify swapping Jenson for someone else as long as he's beating his teammate. And if Kevin does manage to do that, he's definitely a future star.

#142 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:57

He just looked very happy for his rookie driver to be doing so well... he was stabbing a Button-shaped voodoo doll at the same time though but I wouldn't read anything into it.

#143 MP422

MP422

• 1,720 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:25

I was really surprised at how Kmag cleaned up and got on with it. Gonna be interesting to see how these two race tomorrow. JB in the races i think will outperform Kmag.

#144 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:36

Feeling very bad for JB, on an otherwise great day for those who I want to succeed. Let's have a blinder tomorrow Jense.

#145 bub

bub

• 1,992 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 23:33

Very impressive first F1 qualifying by the rookie in what were tricky conditions.

#146 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 2,980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 00:07

Ron looked pleased as punch with K-Mag. His eyes lit up when he went fastest in Q1. Sleazy Ron for once even managed to smile like a Cheshire Cat! Not going to say this has any effect on Button though.

K-Mag was superb in qualifying, and might have a chance of a podium in a dry race (I believe McLaren have better pace than RB in the dry, so K-Mag could get past D.R and fight with the Merc duo), If the conditions are mixed and murky though, I would not bet against Button having a real good go at getting deep into the points. 

But for now first blood to K-Mag. A great debut!

#147 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 380 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 00:27

Yeah I am starting to feel this could be Buttons last season. With his dad passing and now getting married I would not blame him if he thought its not worth it anymore and want to spend more time with family/doing crazy triathlon and iron man things. I am sure he will give 100% this year but wouldn't blame him one bit if he starts to lose interest.

Edited by Nicktendo86, 16 March 2014 - 00:27.

#148 jensfan09

jensfan09

• 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 00:32

Yeah I am starting to feel this could be Buttons last season. With his dad passing and now getting married I would not blame him if he thought its not worth it anymore and want to spend more time with family/doing crazy triathlon and iron man things. I am sure he will give 100% this year but wouldn't blame him one bit if he starts to lose interest.

I haven't seen any evidence of Jenson losing interest in F1, certainly not anytime soon!! He's only 34, he can still be competitive for many more years!!

If McLaren give him the right car, he can deliver!!!

#149 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 906 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 00:39

Isn't this the last year of button's current contract?

#150 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 380 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 00:43

I haven't seen any evidence of Jenson losing interest in F1, certainly not anytime soon!! He's only 34, he can still be competitive for many more years!!

If McLaren give him the right car, he can deliver!!!

Oh you are 100% right, I am just speculating and if it was me I would start to feel maybe it is time to call it a day. Not knocking his talent, can for sure still deliver and will be shocked if he is not a race winner this year at some point, I just wonder whether he will miss his dad being on the grid and will want to spend more time with his soon to be wife. I could be wrong though and he might be as motivated as ever but I wouldn't be surprised if that desire to race ebbs away this season...