* * * * - 3 votes

Jenson Button vs Kevin Magnussen 2014

• Please log in to reply
1524 replies to this topic

#1501 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:01

We're going off topic here, but I seem to recall that Button has/had a very good working relationship with Honda and is also pretty popular & marketable in Japan, surely Honda would want him around next year?

Magnussen has acquitted himself fairly well this year.

Magnussen has acquitted himself much better than Perez, yet the points gap is roughly similar in favour of Jenson... Just shows Jenson's ongoing quality IMO, but Magnussen is getting close to JB in raw pace now.

Advertisement

#1502 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,595 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:43

Qualifying goes to Button, Race goes to Button. Kevin is very good, fast, but he still makes mistakes that Button does not make. If he would be half a second per lap quicker (as some blinkered posters think) that could be forgiven.

But he isn't.

Still I would hang on to both Button and Magnussen next year...

#1503 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,064 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 18:26

Weekend definitely goes to Button.

But as opposed to Jenson, Kevin took responsibility for the call on inters. Another unseemly whinge from Button.

#1504 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,144 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 18:37

But as opposed to Jenson, Kevin took responsibility for the call on inters. Another unseemly whinge from Button.

http://www.mclaren.c...ix-race-report/

Can you point out where exactly where Button is "whinging"?

#1505 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 106 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 19:28

http://www.mclaren.c...ix-race-report/

Can you point out where exactly where Button is "whinging"?

You know I read Button's comments earlier and thought what a great thing to say, especially the "winning as a team" piece. I really have to wonder what some of the other top drivers would have said under the same circumstances. Of course we don't know what is going on inside Button's head however I tend to think he is pleased that he has a few weeks break ahead of him.

#1506 Paul084

Paul084

• 71 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 19:29

The team got it badly wrong on strategy. Obviously you've got to take risks when your car is slow but that was just a poor decision.

Edited by Paul084, 27 July 2014 - 19:29.

#1507 Burtros

Burtros

• 942 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 19:32

Weekend to Jenson. Kevin is getting closer and closer in terms of speed, but as always, you need more than just speed if you want to beat Jenson.

McLaren once again off to the hospital to remove the bullets they fired into their own feet.

Honda must be looking at this and wondering whats going on. Not to mention wondering why a Vettel or Alonso would come to McLaren right now.

Button was very good in his analysis I thought - like he normally is. Whats more, you dont know who made the call on his tyres to make such accusations.

Theres only one unseemly whinge round here. Yours.

Edited by Burtros, 27 July 2014 - 19:32.

#1508 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 340 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:33

McLaren doing a McLaren... what a waste.

#1509 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,595 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:47

McLaren doing a McLaren... what a waste.

Well... if Button had switched to slicks as the others he would have gotten 5th, at the most... however, if it had rained half an hour after the start as was predicted, on Sky, on BBC, Button would have at least been on the podium, and bar more crashes and no safety-cars while everyone was pitting, he could have won...

It was worth the risk, but they should have split the strategy between Kevin en Jenson (dixit Coulthard, and I agree).

#1510 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:09

It may have been worth a shot for Kev but not for JB, inters on a dry track give you a couple of laps at most. The rain has to arrive pretty much immediately for it to work.

JB had track position already, the worst that could happen would have been having to stop with everyone else for inters if he had put on slicks.

#1511 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,595 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:15

It may have been worth a shot for Kev but not for JB, inters on a dry track give you a couple of laps at most. The rain has to arrive pretty much immediately for it to work.

JB had track position already, the worst that could happen would have been having to stop with everyone else for inters if he had put on slicks.

I agree. But still... it was worth the risk. Fine job by Button to get a point by the way. After he pitted I did not expect that.

#1512 Burtros

Burtros

• 942 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:21

I really dont think it was worth the risk, even more so when you factor in JB is normally good on a drying track. I couldnt wait for him to get slicks and McLaren shuold have been thinking the same.

And another thing. Kevins post race comments. I thought Kev's willingness to take the blame was odd, out of place and possibly not correct. Surely the drivers decision is influenced by what the team tells them from the wall....? He may have made the final call fine, but he would have been basing that on the info he was getting over the radio.

#1513 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,863 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:22

Well, gutted, yet another mixed conditions race where JB was schooling the field until... McLaren >>>> Facepalm.

If he'd run the same strategy as Ric or Alonso, he'd have been right in the mix.

I don't understand McLaren's motivation for going so radical, they were already at the front of the field.

#1514 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,595 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:25

Well, gutted, yet another mixed conditions race where JB was schooling the field until... McLaren >>>> Facepalm.

If he'd run the same strategy as Ric or Alonso, he'd have been right in the mix.

I don't understand McLaren's motivation for going so radical, they were already at the front of the field.

McLaren are a bit inflexible because of the meagre results. There was rain... changing conditions... they have Button... who won his first Grand Prix on this track... in changing conditions. They went into the race thinking they had to choose a radical strategy to perhaps win the race... and then reality struck... and they could not get their pre-conceived idea out of their heads.

My five cents.

#1515 Burtros

Burtros

• 942 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:28

McLaren are a bit inflexible because of the meagre results. There was rain... changing conditions... they have Button... who won his first Grand Prix on this track... in changing conditions. They went into the race thinking they had to choose a radical strategy to perhaps win the race... and then reality struck... and they could not get their pre-conceived idea out of their heads.

My five cents.

yep, I'd go with that tbh.

A faliure to react to reality deviating from its expected course. Make up your own reality and hope for the best.

Edited by Burtros, 28 July 2014 - 09:29.

#1516 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:29

Defensive strategies too focused on other people instead of focusing on optimising their race pace.

#1517 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,342 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:04

My five cents.

I'm wondering whether the switch to mediums was also part of the radical strategy they'd decided on. It clearly wasn't working for others, but we decided last night that we would use the mediums...

#1518 Kraken

Kraken

• 597 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:17

It was a gamble worth taking but I just don't understand why they gambled with both cars. That makes no sense.

#1519 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,144 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:08

https://twitter.com/...395377195057152

JessicaMichibata @jessybondgirl

Wow.. What a race! Good work everyone. Now I'm off to punch who ever made the decision to change into the inters. (←Just kidding)

Advertisement

#1520 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,107 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:20

https://twitter.com/...395377195057152

JessicaMichibata @jessybondgirl

Wow.. What a race! Good work everyone. Now I'm off to punch who ever made the decision to change into the inters. (←Just kidding)

:up:  Jenson is a very lucky man. 

#1521 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,595 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:33

I'm wondering whether the switch to mediums was also part of the radical strategy they'd decided on. It clearly wasn't working for others, but we decided last night that we would use the mediums...

We?

#1522 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,342 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:56

We?

OK, maybe not very clear.

I'm suggesting that the team might have been thinking something like "We decided last night that we were going to use the medium tyres, because we wanted to do something different in the hopes of getting lucky. Now we can see that other teams have had the same idea, and we can see that it's not working out for them. So maybe we should think about...No, we should stick with the plan, when we try to improvise it doesn't seem to work very well".

#1523 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,595 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:12

OK, maybe not very clear.

I'm suggesting that the team might have been thinking something like "We decided last night that we were going to use the medium tyres, because we wanted to do something different in the hopes of getting lucky. Now we can see that other teams have had the same idea, and we can see that it's not working out for them. So maybe we should think about...No, we should stick with the plan, when we try to improvise it doesn't seem to work very well".

:up:

No, for a moment I was hoping that a McLaren-team member posted on these shores!

#1524 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,342 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 19:32

:up:

No, for a moment I was hoping that a McLaren-team member posted on these shores!

If one of them did post, I doubt whether they'd want to debate the reasons behind McLaren strategies.

Because if they did debate, I don't think they'd come out of it very well!

#1525 Burtros

Burtros

• 942 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 21:22

If one of them did post, I doubt whether they'd want to debate the reasons behind McLaren strategies.

Because if they did debate, I don't think they'd come out of it very well!

That lot are so confused they'd probably forget which side of the debate they are on half way through.

Edited by Burtros, 28 July 2014 - 21:22.