• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3908 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:23

1itkr7.jpg

holsd6k6l.jpg

Please be respectful with both drivers and their respective supporters.

Edited by kosmos, 20 April 2014 - 08:42.

Advertisement

#2 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:37

Well well, here we go: the most talked about driver pairing of 2014, two of the greatest champions and personalities in the Paddock, the two best drivers of their generation. The duel every F1 fan was craving to see, fire and ice duking it out in the most iconic racing team. Who will stand on top and put his mark down in F1 history?

Argue, discuss and enjoy - and please keep it civil, as I'm sure the two will on the track. Here's to a great 2014 :clap:

BilVMZTCAAAYPj9.jpg

#3 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:42

So far, Kimi is on the back foot.

#4 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 977 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:45

it will be a looooong year for us KR fans  :well:

#5 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,799 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:45

So far is 0 points vs 0 points.

#6 Yenool

Yenool

• 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:47

it will be a looooong year for us KR fans  :well:

Yep, not looking good so far.  If the car doesn't suit then Kimi is not one of the best guys are driving 'around' it.  Although I am shocked at just how much slower he is than Alonso so far. 

#7 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:50

Dream Team!

#8 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:54

I could have sworn it said Friday practice on my calendar when I woke up this morning...I also thought I was watching practice. Hmmm, guess it must have been the race then, silly me. In that case, boo Kimi, sack him.  :down:

#9 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:57

Jeez, show some guts guys, and don't panic after two FP's like little girls. You don't really want to live up to that Kimi fan cliché, do you?

#10 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:05

Awesome battle in prospect. Alonso is absolutely formidable. Kimi fans to be disappointed, Im afraid.

#11 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:07

Awesome battle in prospect. Alonso is absolutely formidable. Kimi fans to be disappointed, Im afraid.

If he indeed is so formidable (which he undoubtedly is), there will be no reason to be disappointed even if he loses out in the end.

#12 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:07

I've got FA on this one. Anyone willing to take me up on that? On stake: My pride.

#13 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:09

Ferrari says sorting Raikkonen problems a priority

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/112917

Have to say I'm happy with this attitude. Hopefully they can get on top of the problems. 

#14 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:09

If he indeed is so formidable (which he undoubtedly is), there will be no reason to be disappointed even if he loses out in the end.

Yea, I agree. I just know there is a lot of passion among some Kimi fans.

I should add that Kimi does like to have his car just-so, and when he gets it how he wants it he is a different driver. So I'm not making too strong a judgement just yet.

Edited by GlenP, 14 March 2014 - 12:11.

#15 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:12

Of course, as a Kimi fan, I'm hoping he'll beat Fernando, but I don't see any realistic chance of that happening. At least not in the first year. 

I believe there will be a small, but steady gap, and it certainly won't be 8 tenths or 1 second as it looks at the moment after 2 practice sessions. Ferrari admitted Kimi has a car problem, which is not driver related, so they'll fix it. 

#16 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:13

Kimi has had more troubles in testing and practice and still early days. If they get the settings for his car to his liking he will be very good. I am sure. But Alonso looked great today. Enjoyed seeing him. Good luck to both and hope Ferrari wins a championship this year!  / fan of Kimi

#17 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:21

"Please keep it civil"

Good luck with that. 

Jeez, show some guts guys, and don't panic after two FP's like little girls. You don't really want to live up to that Kimi fan cliché, do you?

Didn't take long did it...

This pairing is going to be a cracker. You'd have to say Alonso is favourite but Kimi is no slouch either and has great racecraft...should be fun.

#18 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:28

A driver's talent is measured in his ability to adapt. With that said, Alonso will come out on top convincingly. The only area I could see Raikkonen being better than Alonso is in tyre preservation which has always been his strong point.

#19 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,799 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:31

A driver's talent is measured in his ability to adapt. With that said, Alonso will come out on top convincingly. The only area I could see Raikkonen being better than Alonso is in tyre preservation which has always been his strong point.

As if looking good in debut races in NASCAR and doing good times in rallying isn't enough ability to adapt...

Advertisement

#20 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:32

If the regs we're the same as last year then i'd be worried about Kimi, but cut the guy some slack.

#21 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:38

As if looking good in debut races in NASCAR and doing good times in rallying isn't enough ability to adapt...

Let's not move goalposts here. Alonso has shown to be far more versatile in the F1 arena than Raikkonen has. People often forget that Alonso went from a ridiculously understeering Renault to an extremely pointy McLaren from 2006 to 2007.

#22 TheSingularity

TheSingularity

• 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:39

Alonso drove quicker after having twice as much testing, no reliability problems in practice and having been the number 1 driver in the team since 2010 meaning the car would be closer to what he likes. Not exactly a shock. And by no means confirms adaptability at all. In fact it'd only prove Kimi's adaptability 

#23 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:40

Let's not move goalposts here. Alonso has shown to be far more versatile in the F1 arena than Raikkonen has. People often forget that Alonso went from a ridiculously understeering Renault to an extremely pointy McLaren from 2006 to 2007.

Raikkonen went from an extremely pointy Mclaren to a ridiculously understeering Ferrari from 2006 to 2007. Guess who won the titel.

#24 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:41

Finished the graphics, hope you like it, I will update the chart after every race :yawnface:

#25 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,799 posts

That is completely true. But, what I said isn't incorrect as well. As far as car behaviour adaptation, Alonso is far ahead of Raikkonen.

#26 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

He went from Michelin to Bridgestone as did half of the field including Kimi.

#27 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:42

Don't forget a year ago here Massa equaled Alonso in practice and outqualified him. 

#28 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:42

It's wartime. Deal with it.  :smoking:

And I'm going to deal with it by casually retreating and making no mention "my side" of the war is currently looking slow as a snail. Carry on.

#29 Iranie

Iranie

• 142 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:44

This thread is like a freight train going full speed to the end of a cliff without a bridge.

Its days are counted

Meh. One is allowed to share his/her opinion regardless the fact that it might be utter bullshit to some. The key is to just leave it be if there is no support and justification for the arguments. Valid arguments are more than welcome even if your favourite driver isn't getting the praise. At the end of the day it's more than likely that one from this pairing will be better after Abu Dhabi at the latest. So deal with it. (But they could also end up in a tie, you'll never know)

If these two great champions can handle the same team with honour and without ripping it part, there is no reason to believe that this forum couldn't handle a thread about the battle between those two. Just have some tolerance, komrads! 

Edited by Iranie, 14 March 2014 - 12:46.

#30 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:50

That is completely true. But, what I said isn't incorrect as well. As far as car behaviour adaptation, Alonso is far ahead of Raikkonen.

Sure, but then I am sure you know that NASCAR and Rallying have nothing to do with this topic. I am sorry if I wasn't clear, but this is F1.

He went from Michelin to Bridgestone as did half of the field including Kimi.

He went from one extreme to the other in car behaviour. Compare any onboard of him from 2006 to 2007 to see this.

Raikkonen went from an extremely pointy Mclaren to a ridiculously understeering Ferrari from 2006 to 2007. Guess who won the titel.

To a Ferrari which had more data on Bridgestone rubber than any other team, to a car philosophy that was the quickest of the field more often than not. The 2007 Ferrari was much more biased to oversteer, or else how did he struggle so much in 2008? 2008 proved his lack of ability to adapt when compared to Alonso. I would even go as far as saying that Alonso would have won the championship in both 2007 and 2008 if he had been at Ferrari.

#31 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Sorry but is that your opinion or something which is defined somewhere?

I have respect for both drivers, they both have their strenghts and weaknesses, but I doubt talent has got anything to do with it, both are immensly naturally talented drivers.

Edited by Torsion, 14 March 2014 - 12:51.

#32 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Don't forget a year ago here Massa equaled Alonso in practice and outqualified him.

Where is that Massa vs Alonso thread by the way

:lol:

#33 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:52

Great OP.

Hopefully Ferrari sorts Kimis problems ASAP

#34 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:59

Hopefully Ferrari sorts Kimis problems ASAP

+1

It looked like Kimi had the first ever front wheel driven Ferrari in FP1 and FP2. Simply endless understeer. I don't mind Kimi being slower than Alonso, but I do hope they can dial in the setup more closer to what Kimi would like. The way that car goes around corners now is just too painful to watch.

#35 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:02

I will remove posts that don't contribute anything beyond how bad the thread is going to be. If you choose to post here, do your bit to make it not terrible by making good and thoughtful posts about Alonso vs Raikkonen in the 2014 season.

#36 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:03

Well, kimi has nothing to lose. The pressure is on alonso, as many have pointed out, he's expected to beat kimi anyway.

It'll just be interesting to see how alonso reacts once kimi gets his act together and starts challenging alonso (may well be this weekend - who knows) or doesn't make way for alonso becuase mathematically, he's in the title hunt.

#37 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:08

+

But not only that...I just think of 2007 when he also had problems in the beginning and then he did his best after 6-7 races. Of course, this will pay off only if Ferrari continues keeping up with others. 

#38 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:08

Well, kimi has nothing to lose. The pressure is on alonso, as many have pointed out, he's expected to beat kimi anyway.

It'll just be interesting to see how alonso reacts once kimi gets his act together and starts challenging alonso (may well be this weekend - who knows) or doesn't make way for alonso becuase mathematically, he's in the title hunt.

I don't think it works like that. Yes the expectations are on Alonso to beat Kimi, because of the Massa comparisons, and because Alonso was in the past chosen to replace Kimi at a rather high price tag for the team. But both are A-level superstar box office names, and Kimi's the last Ferrari champ, it's not as if Kimi comes in with an underdog tag. I don't think he has the benefit of any less pressure.

Edited by noikeee, 14 March 2014 - 13:09.

#39 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:09

Kimi has had less then half of the testing mileage of Alonso so far, and there are a lot of changes. Even today Kimi experienced problems the ERS, and with braking.  The team and Alonso's engineers also knows exactly what he wants from car, Kimi still needs to build up an understanding with his engineers. So do expect Alonso to be ahead.

It is encouraging to see that they will change the front end of the car, I am just wondering why they didn't already do this during FP1 and F2. But I am guessing it has something to do with the fact that the cars are new and that making these setup changes might take longer then they previously took. 

Advertisement

#40 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:11

My guess is at the end of the season it will appear KR was beter in qualy, FA in race.

#41 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Well well, here we go: the most talked about driver pairing of 2014, two of the greatest champions and personalities in the Paddock, the two best drivers of their generation. The duel every F1 fan was craving to see, fire and ice duking it out in the most iconic racing team. Who will stand on top and put his mark down in F1 history?

Argue, discuss and enjoy - and please keep it civil, as I'm sure the two will on the track. Here's to a great 2014 :clap:

BilVMZTCAAAYPj9.jpg

Hold on

"the two best drivers of their generation"

I think Seb and Lewis might have a few things to say about that.

This will be a mega thread though, considering what could happen.

:D

Andy

#42 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

It wont be a shame for kimi if he gets beaten by alonso but it he doesnt look better than massa looked compared to fernando that will be bad. After the first free practices kimi is nowhere near of challenging fernando.

#43 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:15

I am biased positively towards Alonso and negatively towards Raikkonen. I do not think Raikkonnen is crap, but I think Alonso is at a talent level higher than Raikkonen. There will be weekends where Alonso will not be the best Ferrari driver, but they will be few and at end of season Alonso will once again have forced himself into the Championship battle, with Raikkonen lagging behind.

:cool:

#44 e34

e34

• 762 posts

I suppose he'll try to overtake Raikkonen on track, and seeing that both are great and clean drivers, we will have a hell of a show. 

The image of Alonso as a prima donna on the verge of a nervous breakdown is funny, but not really accurate. Along these years, I have seen him time and again veting his frustration and then going on with business as usual. If you ask me, that's healthier than constantly carrying a giant chip on the shoulder, Massa style. 

I hope that Alonso is aware that Raikkonen won't yield and that he behaves consequently. Neither of them should be waiting for favours from the other, fuel and other occasional problems aside, until one of them is mathematically, or reallistically, out of the contention for the championship. 

#45 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Alonso drove quicker after having twice as much testing, no reliability problems in practice and having been the number 1 driver in the team since 2010 meaning the car would be closer to what he likes. Not exactly a shock. And by no means confirms adaptability at all. In fact it'd only prove Kimi's adaptability 

This. I expect Kimi to be there on Alonso's level after a few races.

#46 SpreadingSalmonella

SpreadingSalmonella

• 84 posts

Alonso have 1000 km more with FIAT and I think it is the reason why Alonso was faster in P1 & P2. Kimi said after P2 that they must do a lot of work and lets see how the car is on QF.

#47 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:18

Alonso has 1000km more of seat time under his belt?

#48 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:19

My guess is at the end of the season it will appear KR was beter in qualy, FA in race.

What assumptions do you make that on considering neither has done a QP or race in these brand new cars ?

That sounds like old skool talking.  The days when cars had engines and you could actually hear them putting their big meaty pistons up and down. 

Bang Blow Suck  More Bang  A bit more Sucking

Nowadays it is the sound of a small capacitor discharging.  That is the sound of inevitability Mr Anderson.  But it's not a sound I want

I know you’re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you’re afraid. You’re afraid of us. You’re afraid of change. I don’t know the future. I didn’t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it’s going to begin. I’m going to hang up this phone, and then I’m going to show these people what you don’t want them to see. I’m going to show them a world … without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Andy

Edited by Andy35, 14 March 2014 - 13:20.

#49 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:19

Hold on

"the two best drivers of their generation"

I think Seb and Lewis might have a few things to say about that.

I count them as different generations of drivers (entering 6 years before the two guys you mentioned), that's why   ;) 

#50 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:20

Any chance of fernando helping to sort kimis issues with the data comparison, advices?