* * * * - 6 votes

Sebastian Vettel vs Daniel Ricciardo 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3996 replies to this topic

#101 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 692 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:28

Vettel looked like a rookie today, whatever happened to the car, must be no minor issue.

Advertisement

#102 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,382 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:32

Suprised us in what manner? Positive or negative?

Just how I expected.

#103 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:37

Wow, who saw thay coming? Vettel getting a can of Ozzie whoop-ass, just like in 2010!

#104 Exb

Exb

• 1,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:39

Great qualifying by Daniel, there must have been lots of pressure on him with the move up to Red Bull, poor testing and it being his home race and he handled it very well, didn't see any mistakes from him.

Vettel had issues so I can't really comment or knock him for his qualifying position.

#105 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,823 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:44

That result won't affect Vettel, not 2014 Vettel. He's got too much experience under his belt to let one bad qualy rattle him.

Dan, or Ricciardo as Lewis calls him, however will benefit hugely from it. Puts to bed a lot of questions people have when a young gun steps into a big team against a master

#106 BCM

BCM

• 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:50

I noticed Hamilton called Dan "Riccyardo" which is not how Dan pronounces it himself. Regardless of its Italian origin in Owstralya we pronounce it "Rikardo".

Brundle should get off his high horse about using the Italian pronunciation as well. The guy whose name it is, is the one who decides how you say it.

Edited by BCM, 15 March 2014 - 09:43.

#107 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:52

That result won't affect Vettel, not 2014 Vettel. He's got too much experience under his belt to let one bad qualy rattle him.

Dan, or Ricciardo as Lewis calls him, however will benefit hugely from it. Puts to bed a lot of questions people have when a young gun steps into a big team against a master

People tend to forget that Häkkinen outqualified none other than Ayrton Senna, when he took over from Michael Andretti at Estoril in 1993 and Ayrton even had a working car that day, so it's not exactly something we've not see before

Edited by FatHippo, 15 March 2014 - 08:53.

#108 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:09

The thing is though it wasn't a single lap, he kept banging them in one after another all the way through Q2 and Q3, very impressive.

I think Seb may be a victim of RBR going after the extra horsepower, he complained about torque map 5 in P3 on the radio

Vettel was on the radio telling his team that "the car does not accelerate" when he was going for a qualifying simulation on options at the end of FP3. Bear in mind, he was using a new revised engine mapping when he tried this run. He was all over the place and did not beat his best time on mediums clocked earlier in FP3. There were also some conversation between Rocky and Vettel about Torque Map 4 and 5 earlier on when he made his runs on primes. Not sure whether these maps were the cause of his problems in FP3 but apparently this issue was not solved in time for qualifying.

Horner has indicated that RBR will work overnight to pinpoint and rectify the problems on Sebastian's car.

#109 ebc

ebc

• 230 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:14

People tend to forget that Häkkinen outqualified none other than Ayrton Senna, when he took over from Michael Andretti at Estoril in 1993 and Ayrton even had a working car that day, so it's not exactly something we've not see before

And Irvine did the same to Schumacher first time out as well.

Vettel clearly had problems with his car, so it will be interesting to see if they can fix it for the race.  Dan did really well, very impressed with him but qualy is less important than before so it is tomorrow that counts for both drivers.

#110 massivechicken

massivechicken

• 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:18

I was at Turn 3 for qualifying, right where Raikkonen binned it. 

Watching Dan through that complex, then watching Seb, was light night and day. Dan looked in complete command, whereas Seb was all over the place. Even on entry he was a mess, often wide and sliding through the turn, sawing at the wheel. He reminded me of a backmarker the way he was wrestling the thing.

Seb also really seemed to have massive problems getting the power down, I noted this before learning of his software woes. 

After Seb got the chequered flag, he came around T3 in a huff, sideways, and he absolutely gunned it, drifting out of the turn, max revs bouncing off the limiter, obviously raging in his helmet - given the yellow flags and marshalls on the track for Kimi, I thought this was a bit stupid to do "in anger". The guy is a great champion, sure, but this type of behaviour is probably where he gets his petulant reputation from, and why most of the crowd went absolutely wild when his poor time was posted.

The lower volume of the cars was shocking at first, but after watching a session without earplugs - it's kind of nice. You can actually hold a conversation and hear the track commentary.

#111 BCM

BCM

• 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:20

Guy in the RBR thread is saying that Vettel was running a 90% engine power map and had his car setup for that. He didn't like it and when they reverted to the 80% map that Ricciardo was running he couldn't get along with the power/setup. True? Who knows.

#112 williams96

williams96

• 980 posts

Shame about the Raikkonen spin that helped prevent two RBRs in the top ten as would have been interesting. Reinforced Ricciardo's position though seeing as many people who didn't rate Ricciardo preferred Raikkonen for the seat.

Ricciardo has shown the potential in qualifying for those who have followed him the last few years. This battle is certainly going to be interesting, particularly how the race goes tomorrow. For now both drivers need to be fully cooperative to catch Mercedes. That may be a blessing.

#113 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Just how I expected.

You are expected to beat your teammate when his car is not 100%. Even Renault has acknowledged that Vettel's car had software issue, and down on engine power. To compound this misery, he was unfortunate enough to be hampered with Raikkonen's crash and double waved yellows on his flying lap on new inters.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/112935

#114 Exb

Exb

• 1,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:22

I was at Turn 3 for qualifying, right where Raikkonen binned it. 
After Seb got the chequered flag, he came around T3 in a huff, sideways, and he absolutely gunned it, drifting out of the turn, max revs bouncing off the limiter, obviously raging in his helmet - given the yellow flags and marshalls on the track for Kimi, I thought this was a bit stupid to do "in anger". The guy is a great champion, sure, but this type of behaviour is probably where he gets his petulant reputation from, and why most of the crowd went absolutely wild when his poor time was posted.

That's interesting as he has been called to the stewards for failing to slow for the yellows - I wonder if it was for his in-lap then as Rocky made a comment on the radio reminding him the yellow flags were still in that section, so maybe he saw he was going too quick.

#115 massivechicken

massivechicken

• 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:34

That's interesting as he has been called to the stewards for failing to slow for the yellows - I wonder if it was for his in-lap then as Rocky made a comment on the radio reminding him the yellow flags were still in that section, so maybe he saw he was going too quick.

Very interesting, didn't know that, thanks. I was wondering if there'd be any action because I saw the marshalls take a step back and almost wave their fists like disgruntled old men!

Edited by massivechicken, 15 March 2014 - 09:34.

#116 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,400 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:41

Hmm interesting, well on p3 in his final soft runs when problems started he did have just above 11 000 rpm out of his engine when the maximum is 15 000 so maybe it's related to that.

No they always rev like that...  11.5rpm is the highest practical rpm.

But sure it seems there is some problem with Seb's car, it was not handling well at all.

#117 Solari12

Solari12

• 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:42

Vettel will be back, he just got unlucky today. Great job from Dan still. RB seems too have the speed and grip.

#118 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:45

Good start for Ricciardo but even Massa outqualified Alonso at times. 

Dan must do it on a regular outing between him and Seb.

Interesting battle after all.

#119 Exb

Exb

• 1,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:45

Very interesting, didn't know that, thanks. I was wondering if there'd be any action because I saw the marshalls take a step back and almost wave their fists like disgruntled old men!

Vettel has been officially cleared, no further action from the speeding under yellows investigation. (not sure if it was for his actual lap or in-lap, just found your observations interesting on the back of Rocky's comment)

Advertisement

#120 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,279 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:47

I noticed Hamilton called Dan "Riccyardo" which is not how Dan pronounces it himself. Regardless of its Italian origin in Owstralya we pronounce it "Rikardo".

Brundle should get off his high horse about using the Italian pronunciation as well. The guy whose name it is, is the one who decides how you say it.

I believe Ricciardo's dad pronounces as an Italian would and Dan himself has said that he does not care how other's pronounce it.

#121 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,279 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:50

Shame about the Raikkonen spin that helped prevent two RBRs in the top ten as would have been interesting. Reinforced Ricciardo's position though seeing as many people who didn't rate Ricciardo preferred Raikkonen for the seat.

The situation reminds me of Melbourne 2012 with Kimi and Romain. The experienced master has an issue and the young gun nails it. 

#122 Zava

Zava

• 4,976 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:51

to be honest, I'm not sure if Vettel could've beaten Ricciardo if his car would've been OK, Dan did a great job. Vettel's car having problems doesn't take away from his stellar performance!

#123 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 382 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:51

It's an Italian surname and the right pronunciation is Italian, full stop. The poor guy must have had to get used to single-language bogans' inability to say it right, so he doesnt care anymore. What can he do?

#124 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:01

It's impossible to judge without seeing it, but if it looked like that Vettel is lucky there's no video of that, he would be penalized surely.

#125 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:02

to be honest, I'm not sure if Vettel could've beaten Ricciardo if his car would've been OK, Dan did a great job. Vettel's car having problems doesn't take away from his stellar performance!

I am quite sure Vettel has a few tenths on Ricciardo based on his friday free practices and his early runs in FP3. But the moment he was sliding all over the places on his qualifying simulation in FP3 (Starsports carried Vettel's onboard shot for the whole lap) and could not even come close to his best time on primes, I knew he was in trouble.

This is a perfect start for Ricciardo, and RBR must be very happy considering what they went through in winter testing. Even as an ardent Vettel's fan, I am happy with Ricciardo's P2 because a competitive Red Bull Racing team means that Mercedes GP and Hamilton/Rosberg will not walk away with this year's title.

#126 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:06

so Redbull did not notice a software issue since fp3?? Weird

#127 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:11

so Redbull did not notice a software issue since fp3?? Weird

They probably noticed, but didn't have the time to correct it. Software updates take a long time.

#128 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,823 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:14

It's an Italian surname and the right pronunciation is Italian, full stop. The poor guy must have had to get used to single-language bogans' inability to say it right, so he doesnt care anymore. What can he do?

No, the right pronunciation is how the person in question says it. If two people with the same spelling say it different they are both right
The rest of the post. well ...

#129 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:16

They probably noticed, but didn't have the time to correct it. Software updates take a long time.

No they don't. Would take a few minutes to just set the same mapping as Daniels. It does not explain Vettel sliding all over the place either.

#130 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:16

According to a Renault- or RedBull-Guy sensor issues caused the problems, if i understood it correctly. I guess they didn´t find out about it in time...

http://www.motorspor...o-at-melbourne/

Edited by LiJu914, 15 March 2014 - 10:19.

#131 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 184 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:21

Dan made Sebastian look like a dud today.

#132 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:28

By beating him in a car that worked against a car that didn't? Maldonado could do that. Well, no he couldn't really, as it would require to stay on the track. Dan drove fantastically, but Vettel's time is unrepresentive as he was down on engine power. Not a realistic comparison.

#133 Melchiot

Melchiot

• 98 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:36

I notice an unusually large number of new troll accounts.

#134 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 723 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:37

What was nice is that he seemed on the pace the whole time, it wasn't luck that he was up there. 

#135 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:38

I notice an unusually large number of new troll accounts.

Expectable, wasn't it ;)

Edited by FatHippo, 15 March 2014 - 10:38.

#136 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 382 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:39

No, the right pronunciation is how the person in question says it. If two people with the same spelling say it different they are both right.

If you don't know the correct pronunciation of a foreign name, or if you can't pronounce it properly, it's ok to try some sort of "internationalised" version. An Italian, or a person with significant Italian ancestry, will only say it "wrong" if he wants to be understood in public by a non-Italian or non-particularly-educated audience. That doesn't change the fact that it's a 100% Italian word with one correct pronunciation only. But I'm sure nobody in Daniel's family will say "Ricardo" in private. Italians probably pronounce Melbourne as MEL-BOOR-NAY, but it doesn't change its correct pronunciation in English.

#137 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:40

What was nice is that he seemed on the pace the whole time, it wasn't luck that he was up there.

Danny was always good in the wet. But we'll have to wait for the race. At STR he always was a bit of a Saturday's champion and let's hope he has improved his consistency. But I agree, his driving was spot-on all weekend so far.

Edited by FatHippo, 15 March 2014 - 10:41.

#138 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:44

According to a Renault- or RedBull-Guy sensor issues caused the problems, if i understood it correctly. I guess they didn´t find out about it in time...

http://www.motorspor...o-at-melbourne/

Interesting - so it seems they identified the issue and will hopefully to get it working for the race.

#139 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:50

If you don't know the correct pronunciation of a foreign name, or if you can't pronounce it properly, it's ok to try some sort of "internationalised" version. An Italian, or a person with significant Italian ancestry, will only say it "wrong" if he wants to be understood in public by a non-Italian or non-particularly-educated audience. That doesn't change the fact that it's a 100% Italian word with one correct pronunciation only. But I'm sure nobody in Daniel's family will say "Ricardo" in private. Italians probably pronounce Melbourne as MEL-BOOR-NAY, but it doesn't change its correct pronunciation in English.

Sometimes you simply can't pronounce a name properly. 98 out of 100 westerners will never be able to pronounce the name of former Ukrainian PM Ю́щенко correctly as the щ (shtche) is pretty much unpalatable to the western tongue. Other way round, Russians, Ukrainians, Serbs and Bulgarians are unable to pronounce Fat Hippo as the H sound doesn't exist in their language. In the case of Danny Ricciardo it is just a case of not being arsed to do it correctly as the additional i is available in almost all languages.

Advertisement

#140 SpreadingSalmonella

SpreadingSalmonella

• 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:11

Ricciardo totally destroyed Sebs mind. It was so hilarious to see his face when he jumped up from the car. He was thinking like what the **** is that. :lol:

#141 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,823 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:12

I think we're forgetting that he's Australian not Italian.
And Australians look and feel like pretentious wankers by dropping unusual (albeit technically correct) pronunciations in amongst their english.

#142 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:14

Ouch...just...ouch

#143 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:15

Ricciardo totally destroyed Sebs mind. It was so hilarious to see his face when he jumped up from the car. He was thinking like what the **** is that. :lol:

May I save that post for revisiting at the end of the season ?  ;)

#144 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,489 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:16

I think we're forgetting that he's Australian not Italian.
And Australians look and feel like pretentious wankers by dropping unusual (albeit technically correct) pronunciations in amongst their english.

lol that probably does explain it! I always found it odd he himself didn't want his surname to be pronounced as per its original way.  :drunk:

#145 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 475 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:18

Yeah, it always bothers me when presenters - usually the ex-drivers - mispronounce names, Coulthard can't pronounce Vettel, stressing the end...

You'd think that when they met in the pits the drivers would say "oi...it's Vettel, not Vetell you prat"

#146 motorhead

motorhead

• 887 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:19

Well, we could also say that Webber must have been the lousiest driver in the history of F1. I wouldnt, but with this logic it could be so

#147 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:27

Good job by Daniel but are people seriously bashing Vettel over one performance, this is why these threads get closed, he beat, but these issues can just as likely happen in reverse so yeah sure, give credit Dan because he performed extremely well but it's one qualy, there seem to be people in RC that just jump on a Vettel hate bandwagon when something goes wrong but will refuse to praise or credit him where he does well, either provide fair criticism and critique respectfully or just don't post guys, what I find funny is the same people that argue in this forum would probably cream there pants if they met each other, simply for the fact of meeting another f1 obsessed person, but act differently online for some reason, read your post before you send out there. 

Sorry for the rant, but there are people who genuinely want to debate the relative merits of the drivers performance but others just ruin any chance of that. And to be honest, they seem to be the same people in all threads, I just don't know how you can actually hate some of these people, in the heat they say and do somethings but so does everyone else when you want something badly.

So yeah, in summary, good job Dan, can't really measure Seb

#148 Solari12

Solari12

• 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:35

Ouch...just...ouch

I just watched all qualifying sessions again and Daniel was quicker everywhere.

#149 LukeM

LukeM

• 963 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:36

Danny was always good in the wet. But we'll have to wait for the race. At STR he always was a bit of a Saturday's champion and let's hope he has improved his consistency. But I agree, his driving was spot-on all weekend so far.

That's a media myth. Anyone who watched closely in 2013 knows that Dan was extremely good in the races

Edited by LukeM, 15 March 2014 - 11:37.

#150 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:37

I just watched all qualifying sessions again and Daniel was quicker everywhere.

Which isn't much of a surprise if you have an engine that isn't down on power, which Vettel's was ;)