- - - - -

Felipe Massa vs Valtteri Bottas 2014

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#451 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 76 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 00:10

Part of the reason why Massa was flying at the end was because he 3-stopped. If you take into account the shorter stints, his pace wasn't amazing. 

http://macofan.com/e...r2=Felipe Massa

See how Bottas is just as fast, after getting by Kimi on lap 40, as Massa on much newer tyres.

to be honest massa was probably eithir de motivated or running on a lower engine mode knowing that there was nothing to gain or lose . how did williams not see that massa was losing 2 sec a lap in 1st stint did they actualy check the floor at the 1st pitstop i find it crazy that he had to do an extra stint going 2 sec a lap slower than he needed to.

bottas did a consistant job again although i thought the car should have beat red bull. if williams dont get 3rd and 4th at monza then that will be a massive disapointment

Advertisement

#452 August

August

• 2,074 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:53

Monza seems like Willy's best chance to win a race this season. As Finns can't win in Italy, it's up to Felipe now.

#453 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,881 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:02

Bottas doing great
Massa having all the bad luck
Team willy should be comfortably ahead of ferrari!
Can't believe I'm complaining about the team being in 4th place after last year.

In this car configuration, Bottas is clearly faster than massa over a race distance

#454 Wander

Wander

• 2,273 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:11

Monza seems like Willy's best chance to win a race this season. As Finns can't win in Italy, it's up to Felipe now.

Crap, I actually never realized that no Finn has ever managed to win in Italy despite 9!! Finnish podiums at Monza.

#455 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,712 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 16:28

Records like that are made for breaking

#456 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 460 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 18:02

It will be entertaining to hear his excuses for failing to do so.

#457 motorhead

motorhead

• 906 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 18:05

Crap, I actually never realized that no Finn has ever managed to win in Italy despite 9!! Finnish podiums at Monza.

A bit out of the context but I have to say that legendary Jarno Saarinen won there a 2 wheel race in 197i. Sadly he was killed at the same track a couple of years later

#458 Mart280

Mart280

• 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 18:14

It could be Monza, it's a shame that when Merc have messed up or had bad luck Ricciardo has been in prime position to take advantage, but when Bottas has been primed to pounce in Britain and Germany also Austria the Mercs or at least one of them have been ok, Ricciardo had both of the Mercs have trouble at Canada and Spa and in Hungary Bottas got stuffed by the safety car, luck is a random factor but it has definitely been with RBR in these situations so far.

#459 Wes350

Wes350

• 67 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 22:25

It could be Monza, it's a shame that when Merc have messed up or had bad luck Ricciardo has been in prime position to take advantage, but when Bottas has been primed to pounce in Britain and Germany also Austria the Mercs or at least one of them have been ok, Ricciardo had both of the Mercs have trouble at Canada and Spa and in Hungary Bottas got stuffed by the safety car, luck is a random factor but it has definitely been with RBR in these situations so far.

Ricciardo has had some rather lucky breaks, but credit to him he was good enough to take full advantage of them.

Hopefully Bottas can aspire to more than 3rd at Monza...

Advertisement

#460 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 460 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:34

A bit out of the context but I have to say that legendary Jarno Saarinen won there a 2 wheel race in 197i. Sadly he was killed at the same track a couple of years later

One of the worst tragedies of all time in the world of 2 wheeled sport, compared by many to the death of Senna. 

#461 August

August

• 2,074 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 20:56

I was talking only about F1.

#462 Wander

Wander

• 2,273 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 21:50

I was talking only about F1.

So was I.

#463 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,265 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:13

It was lost in all the mess at Spa, but Bottas was really slick.

My reservations about him becoming a top driver are decreasing by the week  :up:

#464 sopa

sopa

• 2,876 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:56

It was lost in all the mess at Spa, but Bottas was really slick.

My reservations about him becoming a top driver are decreasing by the week  :up:

I agree. The question is how do we define "top driver"? Were Button and Heidfeld top drivers? Because what Bottas is doing now, or what Heidfeld was doing in 2007 or Button in 2011, are not too dissimilar.

I don't think Bottas is on course to becoming an all-time legend, so it is the matter of how widely we are prepared to define the "top driver" tag.

#465 Ducks

Ducks

• 116 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:17

Right now id put him just outside the "top driver" bracket due to the fact he's maximized the result available to him but hasn't gone beyond that like DanRic who really does seem like a "top driver"

#466 darkkis

darkkis

• 777 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:30

Bottas could've been in Ricciardo's position(s) in previous race(s) had Williams been better at strategies. But this is just speculating, so how can I know..

#467 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,317 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:53

Right now id put him just outside the "top driver" bracket due to the fact he's maximized the result available to him but hasn't gone beyond that like DanRic who really does seem like a "top driver"

Isn't maximising the results what top drivers do consistently? "Going beyond" is just a set of lucky circumstances that they can benefit from, because they are constantly there. For example Alonso in Valencia 2012, Kimi in Abu Dhabi 2012 and Ricciardo in Canada, Hungary and Spa.