Photo
- - - - -

TV coverage of first laps: is it inevitable repeating old mistakes?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Will TV coverage carry old mistakes on? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Mr. Director show us a ton of useless replays while the action on lap 3 gets unleashed?

1. Yes, no matter what happens live. (57 votes [90.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.48%

2. Yes, but timming will be better than before (waiting for more fieldspread, etc) (5 votes [7.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

3. No, they will focus on live action (1 votes [1.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:34

Bit of a light hearted topic, but as race start comes close, I start wondering if this will be the year someone on FOM crew will show some common sense and give total priority to live action. Make your predictions! 

Advertisement

#2 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:36

It's not so light-hearted when you consider the only antidote (live timing) has been taken away.

#3 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:36

It's not so light-hearted when you consider the only antidote (live timing) has been taken away.

It has not been taken away.

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:41

Nor has the US democratic system, but just be aware terms and conditions apply (cough up your millions).

Edited by Disgrace, 15 March 2014 - 18:42.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:43

I predict that nothing will change.

And yes, it is extraordinary to show all the startline replays JUST as DRS is enabled and all the silly business starts.

I get the feeling somehow that there was a piece of audience research that showed that there's a big spike of people turning off at the lap 3 mark and since then it was NON-NEGOTIABLE that WE HAVE REPLAYS AT LAP 3 OKAY.

Edited by Risil, 15 March 2014 - 18:44.

#6 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:44

Matter of time when F1 decides to play replays of start until end of the race, unless you pay.

#7 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:57

We'll still get the replays and miss about 2 of the first 5 laps watching the various starts of several drivers. 

#8 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 19:02

Matter of time when F1 decides to play replays of start until end of the race, unless you pay.

If it was a replay of someone pimp slapping the face of the FOM guy in charge of making us watch the start from 9 different angles as soon as interesting **** starts happening I really would pay to see it.

#9 demet06

demet06

• 126 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 20:30

Not only the inevitable replays but then we'll get laps and laps of Richiardo going round on his own, missing action that may be going on elsewhere as the local director concentrates on the local hero.

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 20:47

Don't think they have local directors anymore. Maybe at Suzuka, but I think even the Fuji TV team ceded control to FOM a few years ago...

#11 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 20:49

Given the number of nondescript pitbox visitors we've been forced to see during qualifying - a wet weather qualifying no less - I'd guess not much has changed since last year.

#12 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,619 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 21:25

all the old problems are already evident. during quali we had a ton of replays shown full screen during live action. also the live times on left still get removed during replays for no practical reason, but now its even worse, before they reppeared when replays ended, now there is a delay. in addition in Q3 session it took them 8 minutes to get the times up. Its a mess.

#13 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 21:48

If it was a replay of someone pimp slapping the face of the FOM guy in charge of making us watch the start from 9 different angles as soon as interesting **** starts happening I really would pay to see it.

Lmao, this was so-near the greatest post I've ever read on the internet.  It just needed 'pimp slapping upside the head'.

#14 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 21:51

Start replays on lap 3 are bad enough, but they generally last too long, and don't often show us anything of note. I have no interest for example in watching the start of the driver in 7th who stays 7th and is under no major threat from behind and not too close to any cars in front. To say it pisses me off is an understatement. Show me the minimum number of relevant start replays for the minimum amount of time, then get back to the live action, but ideally, not when it's the start of lap 3 and the DRS is activated, while we go and miss 2 laps of racing being shown replays of not a lot!

#15 ANF

ANF

• 29,368 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 21:58

I predict a three-minute start montage consisting of two head-on shots, one aerial shot, three slow-motion shots of Maldonado missing the first corner and a total of seven onboard shots, all of them showing the lights going out, the clutch being dropped and the car running down to the exit of turn 2. Who wants to watch laps three and four anyway? We can all follow them in our premium-content live timing apps, easily navigated on our miniature mobile touch screens, while we keep an eye on the TV and look for any sort of excitement in the replays of the start.

#16 icecream

icecream

• 816 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 22:06

I predict that nothing will change.

And yes, it is extraordinary to show all the startline replays JUST as DRS is enabled and all the silly business starts.

I get the feeling somehow that there was a piece of audience research that showed that there's a big spike of people turning off at the lap 3 mark and since then it was NON-NEGOTIABLE that WE HAVE REPLAYS AT LAP 3 OKAY.

this

#17 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,785 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 22:10

It infuriates me how stupid these FOM directors must be to do this consistently for so long and I can't imagine it will change. If you're gonna do it, at least do what BT Sport do with their replays/manager shots etc and have a double screen.

Utter cretins.

2425156-the+rock+clapping.gif

Give this man a medal.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 15 March 2014 - 22:13.

#18 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:57

I predict a three-minute start montage consisting of two head-on shots, one aerial shot, three slow-motion shots of Maldonado missing the first corner and a total of seven onboard shots, all of them showing the lights going out, the clutch being dropped and the car running down to the exit of turn 2. Who wants to watch laps three and four anyway? We can all follow them in our premium-content live timing apps, easily navigated on our miniature mobile touch screens, while we keep an eye on the TV and look for any sort of excitement in the replays of the start.

yes and when these replays stop we will get 10-30secs of live followed by replays showing the action missed during the first replays.

#19 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,203 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:30

Save time by overlaying all 42 start replays over the top of each other with the audio as well, creating a mess of sound and picture so confusing that it causes early onset dementia. 

Advertisement

#20 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:42

They've done the same thing during the V8 Supercars race today - race is going off and they cut to show us a replay of the start where frankly, nothing particularly interesting happened. And surprise, surprise they miss the overtake for the lead... muppets.

#21 black magic

black magic

• 4,477 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:22

they all ready have during qualifying.

current wdc out of q2 and needing banzai lap, gets yellows, clearly struggling but trying hard and we cut away mid lap

these are issues that have been around now for years and years with no improvement. goes with the live timing debacle, ticket prices etc.

asking fans what they want is insulting now. no matter how often and how loud we say it it is ignored. it is all about sucking as much cash out, putting as little in as can mange. what ever happened to watching the driver of your choice - was around for a lucky few yrs ago - and now no longer exists. the coverage has not progressed and in fact could be argued has gone backwards

can't think of another sport where that has happened?? anyone?

#22 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:34

Yes the same stupidity will continue to happen and probably get worse.. Some turnip obviously thought he had a brain storm when he came up with the idea to show replays at the start of races when action is at its highest, and probably got a promotion for it. The stupidity of the sport continues to amaze me.

#23 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:18

So it's not that they wait till lap 3 - They do wait till DRS (and thus more chance of overtaking) is enabled.

Genius.

#24 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 2,014 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:18

Well they waited until lap 4, but beyond that, Channel 10/One in Australia went to an ad break already! Ridiculous.

#25 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:06

Looks like they made the typical start replay with slow-mo x10 times showcase as usual.

#26 icecream

icecream

• 816 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:42

so, melbourne & malaysia they waited till lap 5, which is certainly an improvement, but yesterday they could only hold out till lap 3.  

#27 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:12

It was a great race that was often ruined by the TV director choosing to switch away from some of the best bits. At the start Nico and Lewis were duelling all the way up to turns 6 and 7 but they only showed the first three turns before showing stuff at the back of the field. I know the grid is more than the first two cars but I felt if ever there was a replay to show it would have been a couple of laps later and we could have seen some of the first lap scraps then. Simply a bad choice of camera's really.  

#28 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:12

Is it that hard to do a split screen showing replays like they do in NASCAR?

#29 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:18

Is it that hard to do a split screen showing replays like they do in NASCAR?

That would require the use of unproven (to FOM) video trickery. 

#30 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:44

And British broadcasters would apply an additional charge to the viewer for doing it no doubt.