* * * * * 2 votes

Well done Ross Brawn

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:33

Turned 'Honda' into race winners as brawn in 2009, and he's left behind an impressive team with all the reg changes in 2014. Two times he's played the long game and patience has delivered the goods, shame he's sat at home and not able to be at the team to reap the rewards.

Must be gutting to see the like of The Rat taking credit and plaudits for the teams success.

Brawn is the turnaround king, hope to see him back in F1 soon

Edited by Wiggy, 16 March 2014 - 07:34.

Advertisement

#2 F. Scaramanga

F. Scaramanga

• 190 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:35

He is a genius!  :up:  :up:  :up:

#3 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:55

Legend.

Hope to see him back soon.

#4 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:57

Ross Brawn you beauty !!!

#5 PedroBR

PedroBR

• 235 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:02

This is the crazy. And not only they won by 20+ sec but also they had more in hand if needed. They won by 20+ sec just controlling and in control...

Edited by PedroBR, 16 March 2014 - 08:03.

#6 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:46

Whenever there are regulation changes, he just seems to be a step ahead of the competition.

#7 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:53

Absolutely. The Mercedes board should be ashamed of panicking and getting Toto and Lauda to get rid of him. It was always going to be a long game and he has put all the pieces together within the team and now its working. Maybe time for him to go and help Ferrari again?

#8 sulgpallur

sulgpallur

• 155 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:54

+1

#9 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:56

He and Newey are the master minds of F1, together with Chapman who was ahead of his time.

#10 NateF

NateF

• 4,056 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:59

Absolutely. The Mercedes board should be ashamed of panicking and getting Toto and Lauda to get rid of him. It was always going to be a long game and he has put all the pieces together within the team and now its working. Maybe time for him to go and help Ferrari again?

I always got the impression that Lauda realised what an asset Brawn was but by then it was too late. It is unfair to criticise the current management being the first race but Brawn just seems like the sort of man you want in your corner.

#11 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:00

agreed! Ross is great. He is probably so good that even Niki Lauda's zero managementskills won't ruin what Ross built but there is always hope.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 16 March 2014 - 09:00.

#12 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:01

I'm sure Ross is great and deserves a fair bit of credit for this car but there were a couple hundred people working on it, you know. It's not just one guy. He's not even a designer like Newey.

#13 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:01

Agree with pretty much everything that has been posted in this thread, shame he is not around to get the plaudits he deserves.

#14 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:03

I still don't understand why they got rid of him, for Paddy Lowe? Brawn had a supreme track record, much better than all those chiefs they have running the place now. Whats Lauda job there anyway? he just walks around and sit in the garage.

#15 F. Scaramanga

F. Scaramanga

• 190 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:06

1 x Ross Brawn >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1.000 x (Toto Wolff + Niki Lauda)

#16 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:31

1 x Ross Brawn >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1.000 x (Toto Wolff + Niki Lauda)

Completely agree

#17 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:45

Did he catch a nice salmon today?

The whole team deserve the credit really they all helped along the way unless RB got he tool box out and did it all himself.  

#18 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:50

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

He put together a techncal team that is second to none.

Not sure if many of these directors would go there if it wasn't for him.

Good to see Paddy Low crediting him in their post-race press release:

Todayā€™s race was all about delivering on the potential we had shown in testing and on the hard work that has been put into this project since its beginning. It was fantastic to get the win on behalf of the hundreds of people in Brackley, Brixworth and Stuttgart who have contributed to our performance over several years. A special mention must also go to Ross. I have come relatively late to this campaign and would like to thank him for the contribution he made in the years leading to this point, which we can now build upon.

Edited by Timstr11, 16 March 2014 - 11:51.

#19 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:23

Also, a shame that Michael Schumacher couldn't remain at the team as well. By the end of 2012 he was matching and beating Rosberg regularly even at the age of 43. Truly a shame that he didn't stick around and maybe possibly reap the success of 2014 with Ross Brawn.

Advertisement

#20 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 15:48

Where is BoscheKurve? That guy loathed and trashed Brawn in every Merc related thread. I think he changed his AS name and still lurks on these forums. C'mon BK, admit you were way wrong and all will be forgiven. You did have valid arguments on other matters. 

Brawn and Mercedes know of his contributions. That all that counts.

#21 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:03

It can't be anything to do with Brawn.  If I have learned anything at all today, it is that only current management has anything to do with current performance.  If there was someone else involved last year, he can't possibly be making a difference this year.

#22 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:07

Then maybe you should take your saracsm to the appropriate thread, the one you linked...

#23 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:08

It can't be anything to do with Brawn.  If I have learned anything at all today, it is that only current management has anything to do with current performance.  If there was someone else involved last year, he can't possibly be making a difference this year.

It depends whether the team was on an upward or downward trajectory under the old manager....

#24 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:09

Ouch....

#25 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:10

Agree with pretty much everything that has been posted in this thread, shame he is not around to get the plaudits he deserves.

Not that I disagree, but where are the accolades for Martin W after the McLaren 2-3?

#26 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:33

Not that I disagree, but where are the accolades for Martin W after the McLaren 2-3?

Brilliant comment.  Thread over!

#27 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 17:01

Sorry but considering CURRENT management has been singing him praises for getting them to this point and the fact that he only left Merc last year dec 31st under his own power makes anyone comparing him to the whit marsh spectacle look rather silly.

This is only the first race of the season but the man clearly knew what he was doing long term. Building up the manpower, fixing infrastructure, getting important technical personnel in place and more importantly putting them in the areas they excel at. (Do you remember how hungry Costa was to beat Ferrari after they sacked him?). How is it that Ross has managed to get so many technical chiefs under one roof without one bailing from feeling less valued requires a university paper on man management.

His win rate before  FIA courts and tribunals is exemplary (much to the displeasure of his competitors) On this aspect the only public loss i remember since following F1 was the Schumacher overtake on Alonso after the safety car at Monaco.  Everything else that was major: DD / Double DRS /Pirelli Tyre test Ross either won or got out of trouble.. That's an impressive hit rate.

Mind you i know the man has faults: Bernie doesn't like him and apparently Ross doesn't do corporate very well but no one is perfect.

I remember when Mercedes appointed Lauda and Lauda was blowing a bunch of hot air about looking into things and supervising and such .. by the time Brawn declared he was leaving Lauda was begging him to stay.  That speaks volumes as to his importance and the void that Wolff and Lowe have to fill.

Yes this is ultimately a team effort but the ultimate question is who rebuilt, managed and guided this team to where it is today... The answer is not in the current management.. Current management has the mandate to carry on and improve on where they are.. but rightful respect must go to the man that guided this team to this point.. and current management knows that.

Enjoy the fish Ross and if you do come back to a team im sure your presence will bring that lucky team up the grid.

#28 cturvf1

cturvf1

• 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 17:03

He and Newey are the master minds of F1, together with Chapman who was ahead of his time.

I'd add Ron Dennis to that list too.

#29 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 17:11

I'd add Ron Dennis to that list too.

Dennis never lead design team or did design by his own idea....

#30 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 17:19

Ross is the most successful TD/TP and managers in F1 history; so we should not be surprised at this development by Mercedes.

It's on par with Ferrari from 1997 to 2000.

#31 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 17:24

I want Ross back  :|

#32 PIJAMAS

PIJAMAS

• 64 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 18:30

I'm sure Ross is great and deserves a fair bit of credit for this car but there were a couple hundred people working on it, you know. It's not just one guy. He's not even a designer like Newey.

yep, but people needs idols.

Ross Brawn is a non entity to your car performance.He doesn't bring ideas or concepts to the cars, he's there just as the boss making the connections between those who really design the cars

#33 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 19:01

Good to see Paddy Lowe acknowledge and thank him for his contribution too.

#34 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 19:54

I believe a lot of it is down to the Mercedes PU. Not to take anything away from Ross though.

#35 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 19:59

Where's the Martin Whitmarsh appreciation society thread for McLaren heading the WCC?

#36 Darrenj

Darrenj

• 1,663 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:42

The guy had his own team for a while with his own name, "BrawnGP"

got a WDC and a WCC !! 

#37 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:43

Where's the Martin Whitmarsh appreciation society thread for McLaren heading the WCC?

Something something trajectory something.

#38 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:51

Leadership people. Leadership.

Putting a team together and organizing them to work in the right way. That's called leadership. It's a scarce quality.

Especially when the team has gone through hard times. A good leader will be very needed to lead them back to the top.

Ross has shown that in more than one occasion.

Edited by Timstr11, 16 March 2014 - 21:52.

#39 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:54

Well in F1, since we know very little of what happens behind the scenes, people just like to find a common variable and then point to that as the 'big difference'. Its almost reasonable, but its not.

In reality, we have very little idea of how much Ross Brawn mattered to any of these projects.

Edited by Seanspeed, 16 March 2014 - 21:55.

Advertisement

#40 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 22:02

On the only occasion to date, to my knowledge, when Mercedes have suceeded in getting a driver to follow a team order, Brawn had to come on the radio to explain the situaton, to explain that Hamilton was driving to a delta too, etc, and Rosberg said afterwards he only obeyed the order out of respect for Brawn. No offence to Paddy Lowe, but he has the charisma of a damp tea towell and I remain to be convinced (a) that the current management structure will be able to make coherent decisions on the fly about team orders (hence the ridiculous nonsense of trying to work through all the permutations in advance of the race this weekend - have they nothing more important to be doing?) and (b) the likelihood of either Hamilton or Rosberg following any instructions they are given if they think it will harm their title aspirations.

That's where they will miss Brawn this year.

Not sure how much involvement Brawn had with managing the powertrain people. I'm not sure their advantage is all aero, frankly. Also, I thought Lowe was assigned to work on the new car when he joined, with Brawn more focussed on 2013? Not saying Brawn should get no credit for the fact they've produced a dominant car, but others deserve massive credit as well.

#41 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 22:04

Don't blame the rat!! By all accounts, Niki did everything he could to get Ross to stay. It isn't his fault when Mercedes, (ie Toto), says there is no longer an overall team principal role.

BTW, on this note, who else really wants Toto to say the words "I'll be back!!"? :)

#42 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 22:09

Well in F1, since we know very little of what happens behind the scenes, people just like to find a common variable and then point to that as the 'big difference'. Its almost reasonable, but its not.

In reality, we have very little idea of how much Ross Brawn mattered to any of these projects.

Paddy Lowe thanking him in the post-race press release gives an indication of what at least he thinks Ross' contribution was worth. To me that says a great deal.

Edited by Timstr11, 16 March 2014 - 22:09.

#43 ThomFi

ThomFi

• 633 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 23:19

I don't agree with Boschkurve at all. However, he might be more consistent in his views as people, who label Schumacher (the driver) as a cheat, while Ross Brawn, who was holding a responsible position in the teams on the technical side, is portrait as the "shining light".

#44 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:47

I'm sure he has a lot of respect for Lauda. Not so sure about Wolff. 

#45 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 17:17

Paddy Lowe and Lauda swanning about as if they are king makers again post race... Laura in particular is gauling, what exactly does he do?! Shame they let him and tonto buy their way into the team, and for what gain?! Brawn should have kept his shareholding

#46 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:02

Its a pity he didn't stay around, otherwise he could have claimed winning a WC with 4 separate teams, newey only has 3

Edited by study, 06 April 2014 - 19:10.

#47 pathogen

pathogen

• 199 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:08

For sure. Maybe Barnard was in this group.

#48 pathogen

pathogen

• 199 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:10

Legend.

Hope to see him back soon.

Please, but not with McLaren. They donĀ“t deserve a guy like Brawn.

#49 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:11

For what Ross has done including management, he is better than Adrian Newey.

#50 zold

zold

• 308 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:17

For sure. Maybe Barnard was in this group.

Byrne and Murray can't be disregarded from that level either