* * * * * 1 votes

Will Alonso finally leave Ferrari?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
509 replies to this topic

#1 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:17

It seems clear now that Ferrari are not capable of producing a car that can consistently compete at the front, for the 4th year running. The big rule changes was the big chance with the new engines, but its the same old story of mediocrity. So the question is, has Alonso's patience finally run out and will be leave them next year, and if so where will he go?

Is Mercedes a chance? Mclaren? or should he just stay and waste of the rest of his career at Ferrari scraping for podiums and the occasional lucky win? Never seen a top driver so unlucky with machinery ever. 

Advertisement

#2 Jacobss

Jacobss

• 188 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:21

It seems clear now that Ferrari are not capable of producing a car that can consistently compete at the front, for the 4th year running. The big rule changes was the big chance with the new engines, but its the same old story of mediocrity. So the question is, has Alonso's patience finally run out and will be leave them next year, and if so where will he go?

Is Mercedes a chance? Mclaren? or should he just stay and waste of the rest of his career at Ferrari scraping for podiums and the occasional lucky win? Never seen a top driver so unlucky with machinery ever. 

Alonso never lost 2 titles because of reliability issues, so you clearly are not following F1 for very long :).

Anyway this talk does not make any sense. This year we will see cars being upgraded very quickly. Just be patient. Everything can still happen.

#3 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:24

Alonso never lost 2 titles because of reliability issues, so you clearly are not following F1 for very long :).

Through luck and his rivals under performing. Without it, he would have never had a prayer of even competing for the title in those years. You can't keep relying on that, you need cars that can consistently compete for poles and win races on merit. Ferrari just can't deliver it. I think its time to leave.

#4 Heidenreich27

Heidenreich27

• 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:24

Alonso lost title because of his cars, 2012 was not normal because the car was a truck but alonso saved the year.

Had ferrari gaved him a car who could match a little to the front runners, he would not be in that position.

#5 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:27

This question was asked last year, and he didn't leave. I think bottom line is that he has nowhere to leave. Mercedes is happy with Hamilton + Rosberg and Red Bull is now happy with Ricciardo. Lotus? Nah. McLaren-Honda? Big gamble, which may not work out better than Ferrari at all.

I think Alonso is facing the fate of going into the history as a double world champion. He has got close to getting the third one, but I think he may realize the best chances of getting that third title may be behind him, and now it is just entering the twilight of his career still trying to save good result. Sort of like both Button and Raikkonen really, who also do not seem like going to add to their title tally and just drive now for as long as they are motivated and are needed by the teams.

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:27

Why would anyone want him? Mclaren have Magnussen, Red Bull have Ricciardo, Mercedes have Hamilton.

Maybe if he drove for free...

Edited by Risil, 16 March 2014 - 10:29.

#7 MTC

MTC

• 440 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:29

Preferences

Where will he go though?  McLaren is the only viable option for him beyond this year, but then he'll have to work under Ron again.

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

Edited by MTC, 16 March 2014 - 10:30.

#8 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:34

Time to Fernando to leave. Ferrari simply can't provide a WDC car. 

Otherwise it's the same excuses being played year after year. 

#9 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,051 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:38

Preferences

Where will he go though?  McLaren is the only viable option for him beyond this year, but then he'll have to work under Ron again.

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

I see..

#10 0Fritz

0Fritz

• 352 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:39

He should have signed for Red Bull last year. Its a tragedy though, such a fine racer. 

#11 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:41

Why would anyone want him? Mclaren have Magnussen, Red Bull have Ricciardo, Mercedes have Hamilton.

Maybe if he drove for free...

It doesn't matter to me if he wins another WDC or not. However, look at Kimi and Button. Teams still want them, so I can't see why Alonso would be knocking at closed doors.

#12 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:44

He could replace button but he's definitely in the twilight of his career now, 2-3 more years as a top driver? Id think he'd have his hands full with mag at mclaren as well

#13 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:49

I agree that Alonso simply has no other place to go. I think Mclaren might have happened before Ron's return, but that possibility is gone now. He's going to see out his career in Ferrari and I think they are capable of winning a championship. Don't forget that without the dominating Red Bull, he would have won several already with Ferrari.

#14 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 540 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:51

And on the other hand, he also didn't win the WDC because he had clearly the best car.

And one time he did win it without the clearly best car and although he didn't have a more reliable car than his opponent (16-points-loss in Hungary and Monza for Alonso vs. 10-points loss in Suzuka for MSC). Differenc is: He just didn't go gaga like his opponent in Australia and Monaco...

And in 2010 and 2012 never ever would anybody have achieved anything like that with such underperforming cars compared to the RedBulls...

#15 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 3,178 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:53

I simply can't see where he would go.  I guess maybe if Lewis went back to Mclaren there would be a spot at Merc?    But why would Lewis do that given the relative performance of Merc and Mclaren over the last couple of years. 

#16 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:55

This is his 5th year dragging horse carriages over the finish line. 

It's time he left, he's wasting his talent in this team.  

#17 Heidenreich27

Heidenreich27

• 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:56

Honda is ready to pay ferrari and his complete salary for mclaren. Mclaren has point out they want him, its his choice now.

But honda engine is a big question

#18 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:58

It's going to be Alonso and Magnussen at Mclaren in 2015.

Edited by Radion, 16 March 2014 - 10:58.

#19 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 985 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:58

It would be funny if it turns out that the Mercedes engine is such an advantage that Alonso engineers a move to replace Massa at Williams for 2015. Leaving Massa to wonder if he ever will get out from underneath Alonso's boot.

I wonder if Ferrari would take Felipe back under those conditions, though I guess it would depend on how well Räikkönen performs against Alonso. If the gap is close to what it was between Alonso and Massa, then Ferrari might just take him back - otherwise he would probably end up at Sauber.

Advertisement

#20 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:59

Williams couldn't afford him, he'd have to bring Santandar with him to pay his wages.

#21 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 899 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:01

It is unbelievable how people know that little about a driver like him, his thoughts, his contracts and so on...  And people even talking about him returning to Mclaren... I am not even going to bother to look for Alonso´s answer to that question last time he was asked.

The guy is going to stay in Ferrari, no doubt. No more teams after Ferrari, He only said it ten million times. After that, probably will focus in his professional cycling team.

But yeah, keep guessing.

#22 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:05

Williams couldn't afford him, he'd have to bring Santandar with him to pay his wages.

I doubt money is his priority. Williams are actually a good option. I have far more faith in them than Ferrari.

#23 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 985 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:06

It would of course never happen, just a hypothetical. Alonso would only do such a thing if he was sure that the Williams would be significantly faster than the Ferrari and I don't think you could safely make such an assumption even if the Merc lump turns out to be vastly superior. Williams might be able to stay ahead of Ferrari (on pace) during 2014, but that still ensures nothing for 2015.

Edited by A.Fant, 16 March 2014 - 11:06.

#24 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:06

Bit early to be speculating on this, but could well happen yeah he must be getting increasingly frustrated. Problem is, where can he go? Mercedes won't want him they've got 2 top drivers. McLaren have got Ron Dennis, ruled out. Williams, too much of a gamble, nothing indicates they can build good cars consistently nevermind title winning cars. It's only really Red Bull to partner Vettel and that's with a massive leap of faith that Red Bull would be willing to rattle Vettel and to give away Ricciardo.

Unless Vettel wants to move himself (Red Bull-Ferrari swap?) I can't see him having anywhere to go.

#25 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:07

It is unbelievable how people know that little about a driver like him, his thoughts, his contracts and so on...  And people even talking about him returning to Mclaren... I am not even going to bother to look for Alonso´s answer to that question last time he was asked.

The guy is going to stay in Ferrari, no doubt. No more teams after Ferrari, He only said it ten million times. After that, probably will focus in his professional cycling team.

But yeah, keep guessing.

Yeah this :up: . Although I think Fernando should leave to get a much more competitive car than the ones he has had last few years. 

But realistically Fernando isn't going anywhere. He's going to see out his contract till the end of 2016 and probably go do some Le Mans racing with his bud Mark or like you mentioned focus on his cycling team. 

#26 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 540 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:10

He could replace button but he's definitely in the twilight of his career now, 2-3 more years as a top driver? Id think he'd have his hands full with mag at mclaren as well

Twilight? Puh-lease! He has 5 more years as a top driver. He is still 32 and he just is 33 in a few months. Look at Mansell in 1991 (37/38 year-ish). Let's not count 1992 for a moment, as the car was somewhat too dominant with at the same time a so-so teammate to judge properly.

And Alonso would not have his hands full with MAG at McLaren as well. MAG doesn't still show epic performance compared to "only someone like" Button. Button finished from 11, 12 or 13 only a few single seconds behind MAG at the race end... Alonso would wipe the floor with MAG. MAG is surely not as menacing as HAM.

#27 study

study

• 2,452 posts

I doubt money is his priority. Williams are actually a good option. I have far more faith in them than Ferrari.

Senna said the same thing, that he'd drive for nothing to drive the Williams, its wierd that when they get the chance they always still want paying.

#28 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 985 posts

I'm a devout Williams fan, but I don't think they have proven themselves able to build on a good car lately. They had great cars in 2009 and 2012 and developed them very well, but weren't able to build on that success at all. After having a car with potential race winning pace in as late as Abu Dhabi in 2012, they turned up with the godawful FW35 the next year.

I'm very encouraged by the early signs of the FW36, and I think they have the developmental capacities to stay at the front throughout the year - but 2015 is a whole other matter.

Edited by A.Fant, 16 March 2014 - 11:11.

#29 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

if he ever wants to win another title then he has to think about leaving.

Ferrari have not been the same since Schumacher, and other staff members left. I doubt they will have a championship winning car anytime soon. Alonso has put the Ferrari above where it should of been in recent years no doubt about that.

#30 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:12

Ron Dennis has not only said that Fred can return, but he'll also be allowed to wear either of these as McLaren do not restrict the drivers to helmets made by Schuberth, Bell etc.

helmet_samurai_1f.jpg

SamuraiHelmet.png

#31 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:16

I'm a Ferrari fan and if this year will be bad again then I hope he leaves in 2015.

We are wasting his best years, he is an incredible driver able to make the difference whatever the car is a good or a bad one.

Today Kimi got 22 seconds from him, more or less the same gap that Massa had in last year's Australian GP... and we are talking about Kimi.

It's really a shame that Ferrari was never able to give a top car to Fernando.  :(

#32 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:16

Twilight? Puh-lease! He has 5 more years as a top driver. He is still 32 and he just is 33 in a few months. Look at Mansell in 1991 (37/38 year-ish). Let's not count 1992 for a moment, as the car was somewhat too dominant with at the same time a so-so teammate to judge properly.

And Alonso would not have his hands full with MAG at McLaren as well. MAG doesn't still show epic performance compared to "only someone like" Button. Button finished from 11, 12 or 13 only a few single seconds behind MAG at the race end... Alonso would wipe the floor with MAG. MAG is surely not as menacing as HAM.

In 3 years he'll be 36, that is the twilight in anyone's terms

#33 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:18

I started to sense a very slight hint of decline last year (2012 was his best year IMO), but I think he's too good and too motivated to retire by 35/36. Think he'll last a couple more years than that.

#34 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:22

His now got Ron Dennis on speed dial, FA & KM next year at Macca.

#35 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:22

I don't know about leaving, but in his post race interview with the Spanish TV, he was very frustrated and downbeat. I don't think I have seen him like that too many times before.

#36 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:23

I feel bad for the guy. Year after year of initial promise followed by underperformance by Ferrari. Year after year with incredibly consistent performances. Alonso deserved more championships, but unfortunately for him some German guy was luckier.

#37 Tosh

Tosh

• 411 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:27

I'm a Ferrari fan and if this year will be bad again then I hope he leaves in 2015.

We are wasting his best years, he is an incredible driver able to make the difference whatever the car is a good or a bad one.

Today Kimi got 22 seconds from him, more or less the same gap that Massa had in last year's Australian GP... and we are talking about Kimi.

It's really a shame that Ferrari was never able to give a top car to Fernando.  :(

If you are a Ferrari fan and Stefano Dom you will really want Alonso at the wheel. This guy really flattered the car the past 4 years. And Kimi is really struggling with the car to make a comparison. Also it was the first race of the year.

I can see Mclaren as his only option but now with Ron back I don't think it will happen. I think  he will stay unless something really dramatic happens.

#38 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:28

This is his 5th year dragging horse carriages over the finish line. 

It's time he left, he's wasting his talent in this team.  

Where would he go?

Does he really have a viable option?

#39 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:29

I don't think he would leave Ferrari.

But at the very least I hope Ferrari lets him blow the candles and have a dream/wish on his birthday this year.

Advertisement

#40 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 540 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:44

I started to sense a very slight hint of decline last year (2012 was his best year IMO), but I think he's too good and too motivated to retire by 35/36. Think he'll last a couple more years than that.

Nah, that could've also been said in 2011 after 2010. That was a similar situation in 2013 after 2012. That's all. After really genius seasons (2010, 2012) the following "only" very good seasons in the following years (2011, 2013) only made him appear like being in a declinig mode...

Alonso was still very patient before he began to critizise the team in 2013. Others began to critizise the team in their first year of miserable material (Prost 1991).

Generally speaking: after all those miserable material season after season Alonso deserved the right to critizise the team harshly without having to fear any reprimands from the team!

#41 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:58

Fernando has no place to go. We've got a ton of fast young drivers like Ricciardo, Magnussen, Bottas, Kvyat along with Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg. They are the guys who'll be filling out the top positions for years to come. When Kimi and Button retire in a couple of years they'll be replaced by the young guns.

#42 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:15

Fernando has no place to go.

There's always. . .

Formula E

#43 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:23

There's always. . .

Formula E

At that rate, it would come to stand for Formula Elderly...

#44 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:24

Fernando has no place to go. We've got a ton of fast young drivers like Ricciardo, Magnussen, Bottas, Kvyat along with Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg. They are the guys who'll be filling out the top positions for years to come. When Kimi and Button retire in a couple of years they'll be replaced by the young guns.

Yes he has, mclaren!

The combination of magnussen and alonso gives them a pretty good balance of both experience and having a young gun. Plus ron already mentioned something on the lines of that he'd welcome alonso back. He's not blind, he also saw how well alonso did the last years. 

Can't really imagine mclaren getting bottas, kvyat and the likes on board if button were to retire at the end of the season. Alonso'd be their only option. 

Edited by Radion, 16 March 2014 - 12:25.

#45 dgduris

dgduris

• 251 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:30

What's more important than Alonso losing patience is that I (and countless others) have.

I am tired by the PR massaged spin on Ferrari mediocrity over the last four years. Ferrari need to quit being the comfort food provider of the F1 drama and get on with winning...or heading off to GT racing.

Massa FTW!

#46 Heidenreich27

Heidenreich27

• 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:31

His salary will be paid fully by honda.

But im sure alonso first gonna check the honda engine.

#47 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:32

He would have left already if he had a chance. If that second Red Bull seat was available, he would have been gone in a jiffy. There is a reason why he is stuck at Ferrari.  Ferrari is the best seat he could get for this year. That's all. 

And I think he is very likely to leave and Ferrari knows that fully well. That's why Ferrari brought Kimi back, something they would have never dared to do if their number 1 driver had been locked. Otherwise Hulkenberg would have been driving that Ferrari. 

Edited by SpaMaster, 16 March 2014 - 12:34.

#48 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:34

Another season. The same question. The same answer: He will drive for Ferrari until he retires. 

#49 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:35

At that rate, it would come to stand for Formula Elderly...

True, although, FOM is Formula Elderly in spirit.

Who doesn't want to see classic battles between Alonso and Senna (Bruno), Andretti (Marco) and four-time CART Champion Bourdais? And why not Sato vs Alonso again, too?

#50 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:38

Yes he has, mclaren!

The combination of magnussen and alonso gives them a pretty good balance of both experience and having a young gun. Plus ron already mentioned something on the lines of that he'd welcome alonso back. He's not blind, he also saw how well alonso did the last years. 

Can't really imagine mclaren getting bottas, kvyat and the likes on board if button were to retire at the end of the season. Alonso'd be their only option. 

They will probably get their other youngster, Stoffel,if not in 2015, then in 2016.