How hard is it to say Reechardo?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
232 replies to this topic

#1 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:28

Ferrari team radio: "blah blah Reechardo blah blah"  Ding.  :D

Most, Danny says to say: "Rickardo" OK.  :)

McLaren team radio and Hamilton: "blah blah Rick-ee-ardo blah blah" WTF!?  :mad:   :lol:

I think I might just pop down to "Lie-ces-ter" -- what is this "Lester" you speak of, must be ruddy imaginary....   ;)

Advertisement

#2 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:32

I agree, it's a bit disrespectful... although I can understand the Ferrari team as that's probably the Italian pronunciation of an Italian surname.

Maybe when he starts winning races they will start saying it as Dan says. Although some people like Coulthard still struggle with Vettel's name!

#3 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:32

As a Brit with a Polish surname, mispronunciation doesn't bother me at all.  

In fact, I encourage it to hear some of the strange names people come up with.  People have made my surname sound Japanese, Russian (adding -avich which appears nowhere in my surname), Chinese, South African-sounding, you name it.

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,731 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:33

Relevant link from 2011:

Q: (Mike Doodson - Honorary) Daniel, some of us find it intriguing that your name is written one way and you pronounce it another way. Have you considered going back to pronouncing it the way that generations of Ricciardos presumably did in the old country? After all, it could be an important factor when Ferrari comes knocking on your door in a few years time.

DR: An interesting question. I guess that growing up in Australia, coming from an English speaking country, to try and get people to say it as the Italians would, to roll the R and give it the expression, it doesn’t really come out the same way. I will always be known as saying Riccardo and you sort of cross out the second i. In Italy - as my father is Sicilian - they will say Ricciardo or however an Italian would say it, probably. So yeah, I say Riccardo because it’s a bit easier for most people. That’s how it was but I guess the Italians are more than welcome to say it how it probably is meant to be said.

#5 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:36

Have you ever heard Alonso say Hülkenberg (he says Hunkelber)? x.x. sometimes it seems hard for them to pronounce certain names

#6 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:39

In general, I'd say the Italians know better how to pronounce an Italian name than do the Australians. As SophieB linked to above, Daniel has said it doesn't bother him that the English speaking world can't get it right, and it would hardly be the first name that gets mangled. :up:

I admit I had to laugh when the German RTL broadcasters went on about that Ferrari radio message, complaining that the Italians used the 'wrong' pronunciation. :stoned:

Although some people like Coulthard still struggle with Vettel's name!

He still does that? I thought I heard him say it correctly the last time I heard him speak, a few months ago. His overzealous 'VUH-TELL' was quite amusing, though. Perhaps he's just too cool to care.

Edited by Nonesuch, 16 March 2014 - 12:42.

#7 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:44

As hard as it is to say "Oregano", which is pronounced in different ways all over Italy; or Cecil, which Americans, for some reason, pronounce See-sill...

#8 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:49

As hard as it is to say "Oregano", which is pronounced in different ways all over Italy; or Cecil, which Americans, for some reason, pronounce See-sill...

Best one is Craig, which is turned into Crag in American English.  The only name I love in American English is Gerard, as it sounds manlier than British English Gerard.

#9 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:50

Hmmm, Schumacker anyone?

It is Schumacher!

#10 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:50

Most, Danny says to say: "Rickardo" OK.  :)

McLaren team radio and Hamilton: "blah blah Rick-ee-ardo blah blah" WTF!?  :mad:   :lol:

I think I might just pop down to "Lie-ces-ter" -- what is this "Lester" you speak of, must be ruddy imaginary....   ;)

Whatever you do dont go via Bicester.

#11 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:51

As someone with an Italian name which is frequently misprounounced, it really bugs me that Ricciardo does not pronounce his own name the proper Italian way. If English speakers can't or won't prounounce "Ricciardo" properly (i.e. Reech-ardo) that should not be his problem. Ricciardo's misproununciation of his name makes him look a bit stupid to Italian speakers.

#12 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,731 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:51

Whatever you do dont go via Bicester.

Good advice and not because of the pronunciation thing.

#13 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:54

Good advice and not because of the pronunciation thing.

:eek:  :lol:

#14 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Hmmm, Schumacker anyone?

It is Schumacher!

Yes that is annoying as well, although many English speakers can't say the "ch" sound in Schumacher. Of course, being Scottish I don't have that problem.  ;)

#15 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

David Crofts constant Ki-Fiat was annoying too.

#16 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:57

Not unsurprisingly Ferrari team radio was the only one with the correct pronunciation: "Ricciardo"

(Yeah, I know that everybody says Rickardo and that Dan doesn't care - but it's just accepted lazyness)

#17 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:59

Yes that is annoying as well, although many English speakers can't say the "ch" sound in Schumacher. Of course, being Scottish I don't have that problem.  ;)

I personally have no problem with mispronunciation. I just wondered if this really is worth a topic. ;)

#18 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:12

It seems that Dan is fine with either way. 

From a linguistic point of view I'm curious about what's the problem with the second i, how come it got lost somewhere? I mean, it's like saying Willams rather than Williams. 

#19 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:27

If the guy himself says it's rick-ardo, then that's what it is and there's no point arguing otherwise.

Advertisement

#20 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,615 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:29

Well he told Brundle it was Rick-ardo so am going to use the version the man himself uses.

#21 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:34

Have you ever heard Alonso say Hülkenberg (he says Hunkelber)? x.x. sometimes it seems hard for them to pronounce certain names

Sin, where have you been?  Nice to see you.  And yes, Hulk's name is difficult for some.

#22 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:34

If the guy himself says it's rick-ardo, then that's what it is and there's no point arguing otherwise.

Exactly. What millions of Italians say is completely irrelevant.
It's his name, HIS name. He can say it however he wants and that's the right way.

#23 skocir

skocir

• 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:36

It seems that Dan is fine with either way. 

From a linguistic point of view I'm curious about what's the problem with the second i, how come it got lost somewhere? I mean, it's like saying Willams rather than Williams. 

Probably because Italians don't say the second i, they would just say Ricchardo like so: http://translate.goo...it/en/Ricciardo

#24 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

In Japanese Ricciardo is pronounced "li-KA-lu-do (Li of lily, ka of car, lu of loose but shorter, do of do-re-mi)" :wave:

#25 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

The Italians say the name correctly, but it's perfectly reasonable to say the other way. It's hard to pronounce it properly.

#26 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Because it is something like CI as in CIAO (i.e., CI sounds like CH) not cee-ow that would sound absurd.

#27 LB

LB

• 13,578 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:39

Best one is Craig, which is turned into Crag in American English.  

It is?

Craig. (who has been to the US many times and never been called crag)

#28 Solari12

Solari12

• 145 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:42

lol

#29 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 706 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:45

This again? Australians typically have a whore-and-nun attitude with this kind of thing. If an Italian mispronounces his own name to be understood by bogans that's not only OK but actually makes the original pronunciation "wrong", but if you mispronounce their names be prepared to take abuse. Dan does not want to be impopular and come across as non-Australian, but for God's sake, he has an Italian heritage no less, I mean, compare that with "Australian", whatever that means... it should be the "Australians" Italianising their names if anything!!!

IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO SAY IT PROPERLY!!!

#30 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:46

I just call him the doctor. He seems to get a kick out of it.

#31 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:46

It is?

Craig. (who has been to the US many times and never been called crag)

Fairdo's.  I'm wrong there, I admit.  What I meant was Creg, rather than Cray-g.  Like Cregslist or how guests call him Creg Ferguson. 

Failed with the phonetics, I'll show myself out.

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 16 March 2014 - 13:59.

#32 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:48

Jamelon, stick your bogan/Australian bashing .... Somewhere else.

#33 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:50

lol

Such contribution. Much opinion.  Very Formula 1. Wow!

#34 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 706 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:55

All countries have some of what Australians call "bogans", you know I'm not referring to all Australians, but I lived there for 2 years and some are like that, unfortunately. It's become socially acceptable to openly be a dick about certain issues. It's just odd that down there, considering the history of the country, the openness to cultural diversity is less than, for example, in England...

#35 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:56

2 whole years. Wow, you're an expert on Australian culture

#36 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:57

Is drongo still used? Or did that die out after Crocodile Dundee?

#37 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 13:59

This again? Australians typically have a whore-and-nun attitude with this kind of thing. If an Italian mispronounces his own name to be understood by bogans that's not only OK but actually makes the original pronunciation "wrong", but if you mispronounce their names be prepared to take abuse. Dan does not want to be impopular and come across as non-Australian, but for God's sake, he has an Italian heritage no less, I mean, compare that with "Australian", whatever that means... it should be the "Australians" Italianising their names if anything!!!

IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO SAY IT PROPERLY!!!

wow really?  "compare that with "Australian", whatever that means" did you really just say that? Ricciardo is an aussie, here we speak english and you have to respect that. Its our culture and its our custom. He is allowed to pronounce his name (like many australian surnames) in a more aussie manner. My heritage is german and my last name over the past 100 years has changed to be more aussie too, if you dont like it you can get stuffed.

#38 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:15

What about first names? Should they be pronounced the way they are in the country someone's from?

#39 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:18

Yes that is common place in Australia.  Folks from Iran are often called Da-veed instead of David in Australia. =)  Sounds better anyhow, just as Reechardo sounds better than Rickardo. =)

Advertisement

#40 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:20

Yeah well my name is Italian and if someone pronounces it wrong then I correct them. I know it's trivial but I hate the Anglicisation of "foreign" names. I know an American who has a daughter called Ciara...she pronounces it "Sierra". Aaargh!!! :mad:

Jamelon, I totally agree with you! :up:

#41 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:31

I agree, it's a bit disrespectful... although I can understand the Ferrari team as that's probably the Italian pronunciation of an Italian surname.

Maybe when he starts winning races they will start saying it as Dan says. Although some people like Coulthard still struggle with Vettel's name!

Of course the Italians are gonna say an Italian word correctly! It's like the Americans, I don't care how many times I hear them say Nuke-lure I am going to say Nuke-lear etc. etc. All words are changed anyway because people can't say them properly so why should people who can say them properly follow suit?. Its like Cardiff, everyone has heard of it yes? All that came from was too many people who couldn't say the word Caerdydd properly Caer-Dydd (Kire-deeth), say that faster and faster and it gets anglicised added to the fact that so many people can't even say the 'th' sound. Kire-deeth...kar-dith...kar-diff...cardiff etc

Edit: By the way in years to come I predict it wont be called Australia it'll be called Ustrarlia

Edited by Juan Kerr, 16 March 2014 - 14:33.

#42 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 706 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:32

wow really?  "compare that with "Australian", whatever that means" did you really just say that? Ricciardo is an aussie, here we speak english and you have to respect that. Its our culture and its our custom. He is allowed to pronounce his name (like many australian surnames) in a more aussie manner. My heritage is german and my last name over the past 100 years has changed to be more aussie too, if you dont like it you can get stuffed.

Come on, you know what I mean, Australians do have a cultural identity problem, they're not sure what they are. This is completely understandable considering it's almost entirely a country of immigrants and most people have only been there for 2-3 generations. I'm not criticising it, but there is a tendency by some to overcompensate this with a more-Aussie-than-thou attitude.

I learned this from Australian themselves, and I say it because I think it's relevant to the topic. It's an interesting part of the world with its pros and cons like everywhere else.

Personally, I prefer immigrants to expect respect/interest about their own culture when they come to Britain. Likewise, I expect them to respect certain social conventions etc if different to their countries of origin, but that's not an issue with Italians or other Western Europeans. When I meet someone with a difficult foreign name I just ask them how to pronounce it and usually it's not that hard to get reasonably close to "correct". It's a matter of attitude, basic manners. Just treat people the way you'd like to be treated when abroad. Otherwise you'll just come across as rough-mannered and disrespectful, and being local doesn't entitle anyone to be like that.

#43 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:35

Yeah well my name is Italian and if someone pronounces it wrong then I correct them. I know it's trivial but I hate the Anglicisation of "foreign" names. I know an American who has a daughter called Ciara...she pronounces it "Sierra". Aaargh!!! :mad:

Jamelon, I totally agree with you! :up:

#44 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:39

Damon Hill is very well spoken and educated of course but he can't say Luca di Montezemolo he says Monte-mozelo

#45 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:40

Ahh, but is German German different from Austrian German?

#46 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:45

If you want to get serious, how about Featherstonehaugh and Pontefract, the latter when a surname. And then there's Tollmache-Tollmache, or more correctly: Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache*.

To give you a clue, the two Tollmache-Tollmache at the end are not pronounced the same way....

*The longest name in British army records. Oh, and pronouncing the two in different ways separates the toffs from the hoi-polloi as toffs would know how to pronounce all these names. Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshaw, and Pontefract is pronounced Pumfree, though when it is a place, it is pronounced exactly as it is spelled!

Edited by Bloggsworth, 16 March 2014 - 14:45.

#47 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:48

There's also one for Schumi: 

#48 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 706 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:50

If you want to get serious, how about Featherstonehaugh and Pontefract, the latter when a surname. And then there's Tollmache-Tollmache, or more correctly: Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache*.

To give you a clue, the two Tollmache-Tollmache at the end are not pronounced the same way....

*The longest name in British army records. Oh, and pronouncing the two in different ways separates the toffs from the hoi-polloi as toffs would know how to pronounce all these names. Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshaw, and Pontefract is pronounced Pumfree, though when it is a place, it is pronounced exactly as it is spelled!

In that case I'd just ask "what can I call you in English mate?" :rotfl:

#49 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 14:52

Ahh, but is German German different from Austrian German?

Not very much. :)

http://www.forvo.com...schwarzenegger/

#50 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 15:14

In that case I'd just ask "what can I call you in English mate?" :rotfl:

Blue, cobber, mine's a pint...