* * * * - 4 votes

Hulkenberg v Perez

• Please log in to reply
626 replies to this topic

#101 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 307 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 18:31

Lol I like you  :p ! Yesterday it was, 'too arrogant for a podium!' today it's 'Mercedes next year pls!'. A true fan  :D

Im probably not the best fan lol ! but i like to think of all the possibilities hahaha

Advertisement

#102 pathogen

pathogen

• 97 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:22

He made a silly bet on February:

image.jpg

... don't know for sure :)!

I like this, "hijín"

#103 Krchan

Krchan

• 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 20:00

Hulkenberg was still better today IMO, although extremely marginally. He did pull up his car from 11th to 5th, but then again, if he hadn't lost out on a place during his tussle with Massa, it would have been him up there. Apart from that, he was better.

Having said that, Perez deserved it today. I'm just absolutely devastated that Hulkenberg missed out on a podium once again.

Hahaha. that's so funny...  :wave:

#104 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,676 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 20:11

Poor Martin... The one that got sacked at McLaren kicked out diResta at FI and gained the first podium for the team, not the next super super super star of Formula I...

Well not quite the first, but certainly the first for some time!

I really like Hulk but he still has an awful lot to prove which is something sky sports need to start understanding. I just found it a bad weird that the first thing Brundle mentioned when Perez was on the podium was Hulk. 

#105 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 1,709 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 20:33

2s7c4k1.png

#106 Melchiot

Melchiot

• 98 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 20:34

Brundle has a hard-on for Hulk that is no secret

Hulk has only himself to blame for screwing up his lap in Q2 otherwise im positive he would had been on the 3rd step today instead of Perez.

#107 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 340 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 20:58

I really like Hulk but he still has an awful lot to prove which is something sky sports need to start understanding. I just found it a bad weird that the first thing Brundle mentioned when Perez was on the podium was Hulk.

Indeed, the first one in many years, fisichella was the first one...

You can't be completely objective as a journalist, you have preferences and tastes, but what the Brit press have on Perez is strange... They simply do not like anything that has to do with Sergio, the only one I remember on Sky defending Perez on Bahrain last season was Damon Hill, on the BBC Eddie Jordan, the rest just do not stand him.

Same harsh treatment he received in McLaren...

#108 sopa

sopa

• 2,707 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:02

Strange to think that 

a) Perez has already 4 podiums in F1 while Hulkenberg has 0

b) none of Perez podiums was achieved at McLaren!

#109 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,575 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:05

Strange to think that 

Strange - three of them were in a Sauber, people believed Alonso would haven taken three wins. Podium 1: 0 in equal cars. Hulkenberg will bounce back

Edited by 1Devil1, 06 April 2014 - 21:09.

#110 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 340 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:07

Strange - three of same were in a Sauber, people believed Alonso would haven taken three wins. Podium 1: 0 in equal cars. Hulkenberg will bounce back

Indeed, that Sauber could have fought for the championship!

#111 pathogen

pathogen

• 97 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:08

Come on... Brundell is a clown. He and the bunch of nasty british press. Looking for him at the bellybutton.

#112 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:16

Come on... Brundell is a clown. He and the bunch of nasty british press. Looking for him at the bellybutton.

Wat?

#113 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:37

Strange - three of them were in a Sauber, people believed Alonso would haven taken three wins. Podium 1: 0 in equal cars. Hulkenberg will bounce back

well Alonso is believed to be able to do a lot, he still is yet to win a title after 2006

#114 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,575 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:39

well Alonso is believed to be able to do a lot, he still is yet to win a title after 2006

We can change his name to Schumacher, Alonso said he believed Schumacher would have won in that Sauber. The Sauber had the race pace 2012, everybody knows that...Sergio was great today and in this races, but he had multiples times a car to finish on the podium while Hulkenberg not

#115 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,584 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:43

Strange to think that 

Indeed, but I'm sure you'd agree it's more to do with circumstance. I'm sure someone said pre-Jerez 1997 that it was strange Coulthard had three victories, Hakkinen none. I agree with Lights that the long term will be a different story. Bar a safety car restart, it was a perfect weekend from Perez. I didn't think he had it in him.

#116 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:45

We can change his name to Schumacher, Alonso said he believed Schumacher would have won in that Sauber. The Sauber had the race pace 2012, everybody knows that...Sergio was great today and in this races, but he had multiples times a car to finish on the podium while Hulkenberg not

they both did today. only one delivered

#117 pathogen

pathogen

• 97 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:56

Wat?

...without objetivity and look inward as the ultimate owners of the F1 and truth. Nasty press I said.

#118 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 340 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:56

Indeed, but I'm sure you'd agree it's more to do with circumstance. I'm sure someone said pre-Jerez 1997 that it was strange Coulthard had three victories, Hakkinen none. I agree with Lights that the long term will be a different story. Bar a safety car restart, it was a perfect weekend from Perez. I didn't think he had it in him.

As Lights an many jensie fans would say: Facts?

Circumstance? Of course, he made his own by overtaking Nico twice on track, despite being undercut by his own pit wall.

Of course hulkenberg is a huge talent... And that is why this result from Perez, on his first race without incidents or accidents, is very, very, good result.

#119 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:21

...without objetivity and look inward as the ultimate owners of the F1 and truth. Nasty press I said.

The expression you're looking for is "navel-gazing".  :up:

Advertisement

#120 pathogen

pathogen

• 97 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:57

The expression you're looking for is "navel-gazing".  :up:

Thank you very much, Midgrid.

#121 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:07

Nah, only one podium spot was up for grabs.

Perez gets this one fair and square, though I was still impressed with Hulkenberg.

#122 bub

bub

• 2,002 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:08

Good drive by Hulk but great drive by Perez. I'm especially happy for him because I think people are too harsh on him. I don't think he's the new Vettel but he's not as bad as some make out. I still expect Hulk to come out ahead overall but Perez will be competitive I think.

Edited by bub, 06 April 2014 - 23:09.

#123 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 307 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:15

At the end of the day the way i see it, is that Hulk is Better than Perez, not as much as many think though, but Perez could prove that he is better than Hulk but its on him to prove it not on Nico bc at this stage i doubt anyone thinks he is not better than Checo so long story short here is that Either Hulk could be overrated or Sergio Underrated.

#124 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:19

You say that as if the British press are the only nasty press out there  :lol:

At the end of the day the way i see it, is that Hulk is Better than Perez, not as much as many think though, but Perez could prove that he is better than Hulk but its on him to prove it not on Nico bc at this stage i doubt anyone thinks he is not better than Checo so long story short here is that Either Hulk could be overrated or Sergio Underrated.

I think the big problem Checo has it that he hasn't been the most consistent. Hulk has continually improved his consistency since his comeback in 2012, whereas Checo has peaks and troughs - one amazing performance, then a what-the-hell-were-you-thinking-kind of race.

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 06 April 2014 - 23:29.

#125 bub

bub

• 2,002 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:28

It could easily be that Sergio is under rated and Nico is over rated.

I think the onus is on them both to prove themselves against each other. Hulkenberg may be better in most peoples opinions but only now they are both in the same team do we get to find out if that is in fact the case. Hulkenberg is still unproven. Perez was beaten by Button but he is younger, was new to the team. Nobody really knows who is better yet.

Edited by bub, 06 April 2014 - 23:34.

#126 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:26

I'm so proud of my boys! Checo finally showed up this weekend. Hopefully they both continue to be fighting close to each other during races.

BTW I absolutely love what Hulkenberg said:

The battle with Checo was very clean and fair, and when you're fighting for the podium you give everything but always stay within the lines. It was good fun.

That's amazing and nice to read after the attitude of Perez last years teammate after Bahrain

#127 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,556 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:33

Hulk has only himself to blame for screwing up his lap in Q2 otherwise im positive he would had been on the 3rd step today instead of Perez.

I suspect Brundle is better informed and has a more accurate judgement than you though eh? ;)

#128 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,556 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:36

Nah, only one podium spot was up for grabs.

Perez gets this one fair and square, though I was still impressed with Hulkenberg.

Perez does have the odd good race, of course he does or he wouldn't be in F1 but Hulkenberg is the real deal, he's consistently fast, unfazed and extremely adaptable. Perez is great in certain particular situations.

#129 Krchan

Krchan

• 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:11

So far this season, the only disappointment from Checo is his wet qualifying performance. We can't judge his first two races objectively. The only one we can was yesterday and it was great.

#130 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,020 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:32

Checo  :up:

What a confidence booster for him after a year in the silver pressure chamber. 

#131 BRG

BRG

• 11,447 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:45

I think Bahrain showed why Perez got picked for a top team (even if that turned out a disaster)

The Hulkenberg hype balloon may be deflating..... :well:

#132 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:25

I think Bahrain showed why Perez got picked for a top team (even if that turned out a disaster)

Hulkenberg had one heck of a race too, he wasn't going to beat Perez in every race, this isn't Gutierrez we're talking about. I still think it's going to be though as hell for Perez to beat Hulk, but yesterday he showed he has talent to do it

#133 Collective

Collective

• 1,089 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:31

Nah. It was still a top drive from Nico. If Massa had not defended so vehemently maybe it would have been him on the podium. I don't think that Checo can beat him over a full season, but it was nice to see a nice intra team battle here :)

#134 discover23

discover23

• 3,544 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:33

I know that their helmets are very similar but wasn't the Hulk ahead of Perez after the safety and Perez overtook him?

#135 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,676 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:55

Apologies if I have misunderstood - but there was only ever going to be one who could deliver in terms of a podium yesterday.

#136 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 229 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:01

I know that their helmets are very similar but wasn't the Hulk ahead of Perez after the safety and Perez overtook him?

No, Perez overtook Hulk before the safety car and then Hulk attacked him on the restart but Perez defended his position, on the long run is going to be very hard for Perez to beat Hulk since he is fast and very consistent however I hope Perez win this battle, we are having several interesting battles between teammates this year so maybe is not going to be a lousy season after all.

#137 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,318 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:15

Dude, one swallow =/= summer. Let's see how the rest of F1 2014 pans out. Hulkenberg is a monster, Perez is going to have to do a seriously stable job to keep up all season long I suppose.

#138 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 307 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:26

Does anyone know why there wasn't any press conference by the podium winners ?

#139 discover23

discover23

• 3,544 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:41

Dude, one swallow =/= summer. Let's see how the rest of F1 2014 pans out. Hulkenberg is a monster, Perez is going to have to do a seriously stable job to keep up all season long I suppose.

He truly is the reincarnation of Heidfield. - not a monster..

In 2007, NH had 3 consecutive 4th places. Throughout the year he was very consistent, got one podium and was the best of the rest, discounting Mclaren and Ferrari.

Edited by discover23, 07 April 2014 - 14:41.

Advertisement

#140 bub

bub

• 2,002 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 15:06

If it's too early to say Perez is better or Hulk's hype is deflating then it's also too early to say Hulk is a monster.

Edited by bub, 07 April 2014 - 15:07.

#141 crespo

crespo

• 487 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 15:19

I'm glad this teammate battle looks like it has the potential to be a cracker. These two guys are really good. Hulk has all the hype (which I believe he's earned), but I've seen many people discredit Perez - and I think they're wrong. Hulk is going to have to bring his A game to every race if he wants to be beat Checo throughout the year. This is a post I made in the Perez signs for FI thread:

A lot of pressure on Hulk with this. If he messes this up [if Perez beats him "fairly"], he has a lot to lose seeing how he doesn't bring in as much money as the rest.

If his talent is his major calling card for getting a seat, and is also what separates him from drivers like Perez in most people's minds, and he loses to Perez, that card pretty much goes out the window. He doesn't have the cash cushion others do.

Real make or break year for him. I like both of them as drivers and have a feeling Hulk has enough to beat Perez, but there's no doubt in my mind that this is the year, more than any other, he has to consistently be at his absolute best. Not only is that what I think will take from him to beat Perez, but it's the only way to guarantee his caché as a "driver to get".

This will be one teammate battle to follow, for sure.

#142 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,676 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 15:22

Does anyone know why there wasn't any press conference by the podium winners ?

They don't do one for the broadcast media any more  - instead we get these dreadful podium interviews.

The written press still get one but it isn't televised.

#143 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,318 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:14

He truly is the reincarnation of Heidfield. - not a monster..

In 2007, NH had 3 consecutive 4th places. Throughout the year he was very consistent, got one podium and was the best of the rest, discounting Mclaren and Ferrari.

Heidfeld wheel-to-wheel was definitely not as calculated (effective) agressive as Hulkenberg is now. Brilliant drives such as Korea 2013, Brazil? Can't recall them from Nick (unfortunately).

If it's too early to say Perez is better or Hulk's hype is deflating then it's also too early to say Hulk is a monster.

See above.

#144 DS27

DS27

• 993 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:25

Funny to think people are saying Hulk's bubble is bursting just because he only had a good race (11th to 5th) rather than a great race.

And who is it that's 3rd in the F1 world championship, in a Force India?

Both drivers are very quick - no way Hulk could beat Perez every race, though I believe he will finish on top.

#145 Gyan

Gyan

• 832 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:56

Pérez overtook Hulkenberg twice I believe, and finished ahead. How can you still say Hulkenberg was better? Pérez beat him fair and square today, managed to say ahead of Ricciardo which Hulkenberg couldn't.

He overtook Hulkenberg once. Perez was the better driver throughout the weekend as a whole, I can't argue with that. Hulkenberg's fault lay in Quali and not the race, and quali was where Perez was better, which was a huge reason in him getting the podium. Hulkenberg couldn't have possibly done much more in the race, with his only mistake being attacking Massa, which also allowed Perez an easier pass. In contrast, when Hulkenberg and Perez were having a straight fight, it was difficult for either to get ahead, so Massa bottling them up helped Perez. Also, Perez had given up a place to Massa at the start as well and hadn't managed to get it back. And Perez himself said that Ricciardo would have swallowed him if it were to last another lap. Hulkenberg helped him in that sense, by holding up Ricciardo as long as he could.

And Hulkenberg isn't the next Hiedfeld. I don't remember Heidfeld making up 3 places on track, on average, in pretty much every other race. DS27 makes a good point which counters the Heidfeld comparison as well. These weren't the expectations that Heidfeld had. I just don't see how after having started 8 places behind his teammate, yet almost defeating him in the race, and finishing 2 places off him, is a negative for Hulkenberg or a bad performance compared to Perez.

The only disappointment I can stick on Hulkenberg is that, he might not get another good opportunity for the podium later on in the season, since teams will catch up. But that's again because I'm just gutted that he missed out on a podium once again.

Edited by Gyan, 07 April 2014 - 19:57.

#146 Dunc

Dunc

• 436 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 20:35

I've said many times on many threads that Checo is the 'young' driver I think is most likely to become a WDC. You don't get four podiums in midfield cars unless you have a lot of a talent. I was pleased to see him beat Hulk, who I consider to be talented but massively overhyped. Obviously a race isn't a season but maybe some of those who wrote Perez off might start to reevaluate their opinions just a little.

#147 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 21:04

He overtook Hulkenberg once. Perez was the better driver throughout the weekend as a whole, I can't argue with that. Hulkenberg's fault lay in Quali and not the race, and quali was where Perez was better, which was a huge reason in him getting the podium. Hulkenberg couldn't have possibly done much more in the race, with his only mistake being attacking Massa, which also allowed Perez an easier pass. In contrast, when Hulkenberg and Perez were having a straight fight, it was difficult for either to get ahead, so Massa bottling them up helped Perez. Also, Perez had given up a place to Massa at the start as well and hadn't managed to get it back. And Perez himself said that Ricciardo would have swallowed him if it were to last another lap. Hulkenberg helped him in that sense, by holding up Ricciardo as long as he could.

And Hulkenberg isn't the next Hiedfeld. I don't remember Heidfeld making up 3 places on track, on average, in pretty much every other race. DS27 makes a good point which counters the Heidfeld comparison as well. These weren't the expectations that Heidfeld had. I just don't see how after having started 8 places behind his teammate, yet almost defeating him in the race, and finishing 2 places off him, is a negative for Hulkenberg or a bad performance compared to Perez.

The only disappointment I can stick on Hulkenberg is that, he might not get another good opportunity for the podium later on in the season, since teams will catch up. But that's again because I'm just gutted that he missed out on a podium once again.

At the end it was simple do, they went "mano a mano" after the SC and Hulk couldn't pass him (but boy was he close). I want to see them race each other more often, hopefully Perez is more consistent and allows us to see more of what happened Sunday

#148 discover23

discover23

• 3,544 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 21:08

Heidfeld wheel-to-wheel was definitely not as calculated (effective) agressive as Hulkenberg is now. Brilliant drives such as Korea 2013, Brazil? Can't recall them from Nick (unfortunately).

Hulk is aggressive?

#149 Krchan

Krchan

• 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 23:51

Well Perez did get his place back from Massa, i think it was on lap 12.

And if the team would pit their drivers correctly, that means Checo first, considering his track position, Hulk wouldn't undercut him.

#150 ez2c

ez2c

• 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 00:15

People are definitely being way to hard on hulk. 11th to 5th and old mediums and the bulls having fresh soft tires... And I think we're forgetinf one more thing!!! He's 3rd in the championship after 3 races!!! I would love to see how many of you would have predicted that before the season began????