* * * * * 2 votes

Damon Hill on Senna/Schumacher

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 0Fritz

0Fritz

• 352 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:51

Not sure if this belongs here or in the history thread, but since other Schumacher threads are still here, I post it anyway

Damon Hill with some nice insights on Senna and Schumacher in The Guardian

http://www.theguardi...-formula-one-f1

Advertisement

#2 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:58

Interesting read - thanks for posting  :up:

#3 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 22:20

That was a fantastic read. I am impressed how well he puts it. It looks like he is a great fan of the sport as much as he was a driver.  His thoughts sound very credible for me!  :up:

#4 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 23:30

My childhood hero talking about the two best drivers of my lifetime (I am 26)

Thanks for posting Fitz  :up:

#5 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:28

Not sure if this belongs here or in the history thread, but since other Schumacher threads are still here, I post it anyway

As the story emphasizes the 20 year anniversary I would say that, yeah, that is neither current nor nostalgia. Maybe there should be a forum for questions that have no answers, forever-subjective career assessments and never-ending disputes.

In that spirit I will point out that if Schumacher offered the bait then Hill foolishly took it. Schumacher's variation in speed can be used to castigate him but his line was the racing line right to the curb. Before they got there Hill realizes he won't get to the apex before Schumacher and tries to back out of it. Too late, his optimism, born of inexperience, has made him a component of the inevitable contact. That his suspension should be damaged was one of the possible outcomes. Had his car been positioned differently relative to the Benetton could have meant a different outcome for Hill. Then there's more questions: Would Senna have accepted the bait? Had he gone for it, would he have backed out of it where Hill did?

#6 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:39

Senna probably would of not been behind Michael to begin with, or in a position where he felt like he had to go for the desperate lunge ....

But that is if buts maybes, that we never got to find out is the biggest tragedy of my time as a motor sport lover. :cry:

#7 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,997 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:41

Now, I would prefer if this thread could be kept away from all the usual arguments that surrounds 1994!

#8 Withnail

Withnail

• 59 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:46

I always used to wonder about the scenario whereby:

1994:  Hill makes a clean pass, wins WC

1995:  With the confidence of a WC win behind him, Hill avoids the mental struggles he faced in 1995, and wins another WC

1996:  Hill wins his third WC

1997:  Retained by Williams as a multi-champion, Hill wins a 4th WC, and retires at the end of the season.

Probably utter fantasy, but I used to enjoy thinking about it as a kid!

#9 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:56

It should be in the nostalgia forum really.

#10 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:20

I always used to wonder about the scenario whereby:

1994:  Hill makes a clean pass, wins WC

1995:  With the confidence of a WC win behind him, Hill avoids the mental struggles he faced in 1995, and wins another WC

1996:  Hill wins his third WC

1997:  Retained by Williams as a multi-champion, Hill wins a 4th WC, and retires at the end of the season.

Probably utter fantasy, but I used to enjoy thinking about it as a kid!

In other words, like Seb of 2010-2013?  Hahaha.

#11 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:30

Schumacher was still intent on undermining his rivals – and in 1994 he insisted haughtily that: "Hill is not world-class." Hill winces. "That one still hurts," he says with a rueful smile. "Part of me thinks he was probably right."

Wow, Damon certainly has no fear of being brutally honest with himself. I admire that.

#12 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:27

As the story emphasizes the 20 year anniversary I would say that, yeah, that is neither current nor nostalgia. Maybe there should be a forum for questions that have no answers, forever-subjective career assessments and never-ending disputes.

In that spirit I will point out that if Schumacher offered the bait then Hill foolishly took it. Schumacher's variation in speed can be used to castigate him but his line was the racing line right to the curb. Before they got there Hill realizes he won't get to the apex before Schumacher and tries to back out of it. Too late, his optimism, born of inexperience, has made him a component of the inevitable contact. That his suspension should be damaged was one of the possible outcomes. Had his car been positioned differently relative to the Benetton could have meant a different outcome for Hill. Then there's more questions: Would Senna have accepted the bait? Had he gone for it, would he have backed out of it where Hill did?

I think that's a moot point.  Those two would've collided no matter what, whether it would be that corner, or the one after that.  Sooner or later Hill would've had to try to pass Schumacher's crippled car, at which point Schumacher would "take his racing line" into Hill.

#13 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:52

My childhood hero talking about the two best drivers of my lifetime (I am 26)

Thanks for posting Fitz  :up:

Pfft... you forgot "le professeur"

#14 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:53

Wow, Damon certainly has no fear of being brutally honest with himself. I admire that.

Actually, after the season was over, Schumacher did apologise on record (i saw it in some video. think it was "the red baron!").... may be someone with a better memory would mention precisely when and where.

Edited by garagetinkerer, 17 March 2014 - 04:59.

#15 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,701 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:30

Damon Hill with some nice insights on Senna and Schumacher in The Guardian

http://www.theguardi...-formula-one-f1

It should be in the Nostalgia Forum, OFritz. If people want to split hairs, probably the thread about Michael Schumacher's accident shouldn't be here either. The exception, I should hope is understandable. But it doesn't mean Racing Comments has opened the door on discussing general threads about his past career. As each sub forum has it's own rules/etiquettes/moderators, we tend not to throw threads over the wall into other forums so I am closing this. Please feel free to start a thread in TNF and discuss it there, I am sure people will want to talk about it.