* * - - - 13 votes

I hate F1 now...

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#1 scaramoosh

scaramoosh

• 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:29

I hate to make an account to complain about the changes, I don't follow anything during the winter as I usually ignore the media bullshit, so it came as a shock to me at just how bad it is. For one the cars sound really crap, they're mostly silent, can barely hear them and right there F1 is dead, it wasn't enough they had to ruin it from the V10 sounds, now they've killed completely. The cars just looked so slow, I don't understand how going forwards means the cars are getting slower and slower, this should be the pinnacle, frigging they still haven't beaten the V10 times and didn't they have groves? It just wasn't exciting at all though, it was as if I was watching road cars, no sense of speed what so ever any more. It seemed like they couldn't get the power down out of the corners so they kept taking them slowly and it took ages to get up to speed

What was up with the lack of overtaking? They just seemed to not be able to follow each other closely any more, they just formed a line with the same gap between each car and could never get the top speed to catch the car ahead. I think the only overtaking I saw was when someone made a mistake in front like like 1000 Kimi made because he is clearly struggling to be able to drive one of these cars, he looked quite **** in all over testing too. The fuel saving now just means they're not going to overtake as much and they wont be as fast, I doubt we'll see qualifying being much of a focus, it seemed to matter for **** in the race.

I loved the new changes Pirelli made to the tyres with them going off, it added strategy to the races. However all the media making a big deal over it has made them go all conservative now, like why? The FIA asked them to spice it up and they did, some how that caused a backlash at a circuit where they usually do 3/4 pit stops any ways. Then Pirelli quickly changed the tyres as a result and we got blow outs all through Silverstone... like just ****ing use the tyres you first had. The end result of last year has been now we'll have boring tyres again..

I just wasn't impressed, was one of the most boring races I've seen since Schumacher ruined the sport back in the day.

Edit: Also I have to question how much better these new batteries are for the planet over petrol. It isn't like they'll just be making one and batteries aren't exactly "green" to make... frigging all the plane travelling they do probably uses more fuel in one flight than they use all season.

Edited by scaramoosh, 17 March 2014 - 08:36.

Advertisement

#2 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:31

I hate to make an account to complain about the changes, I don't follow anything during the winter as I usually ignore the media bullshit, so it came as a shock to me at just how bad it is. For one the cars sound really crap, they're mostly silent, can barely hear them and right there F1 is dead, it wasn't enough they had to ruin it from the V10 sounds, now they've killed completely. The cars just looked so slow, I don't understand how going forwards means the cars are getting slower and slower, this should be the pinnacle, frigging they still haven't beaten the V10 times and didn't they have groves? It just wasn't exciting at all though, it was as if I was watching road cars, no sense of speed what so ever any more. It seemed like they couldn't get the power down out of the corners so they kept taking them slowly and it took ages to get up to speed

What was up with the lack of overtaking? They just seemed to not be able to follow each other closely any more, they just formed a line with the same gap between each car and could never get the top speed to catch the car ahead. I think the only overtaking I saw was when someone made a mistake in front like like 1000 Kimi made because he is clearly struggling to be able to drive one of these cars, he looked quite **** in all over testing too. The fuel saving now just means they're not going to overtake as much and they wont be as fast, I doubt we'll see qualifying being much of a focus, it seemed to matter for **** in the race.

I loved the new changes Pirelli made to the tyres with them going off, it added strategy to the races. However all the media making a big deal over it has made them go all conservative now, like why? The FIA asked them to spice it up and they did, some how that caused a backlash at a circuit where they usually do 3/4 pit stops any ways. Then Pirelli quickly changed the tyres as a result and we got blow outs all through Silverstone... like just ****ing use the tyres you first had. The end result of last year has been now we'll have boring tyres again..

I just wasn't impressed, was one of the most boring races I've seen since Schumacher ruined the sport back in the day.

Perhaps therapy?

#3 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:33

So you don't follow anything over the winter, but you observed Kimi's performance in testing?

Where's that troll sign...

#4 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:35

What was up with the lack of overtaking?

I doubt we'll see qualifying being much of a focus, it seemed to matter for **** in the race.

Only slightly contradictory. 

#5 scaramoosh

scaramoosh

• 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:37

So you don't follow anything over the winter, but you observed Kimi's performance in testing?

Where's that troll sign...

Troll? My points were valid and I didn't have to follow news over the winter to get that Kimi sucked all testing, they gave us the low down on it all on the build up to the race.

#6 scaramoosh

scaramoosh

• 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:38

Only slightly contradictory. 

Not really, they were always making mistakes or breaking down, there was no overtaking on the track after the first few laps, just all settled into a pattern.

#7 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:41

I dunno.  It seems okay to me.  Yes, the cars are a lot quieter but I found it interesting to hear the crowds, the squeal of tyres (my cousin lives in Melbourne and she heard the tyre squeals from inside her house 3km away and she was never able to hear that before) and the radio transmissions are much clearer.  The noise or lack of it, doesn't bother me at all.  Yes, the high pitched scream, stirs the blood and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, but - as someone who's attended over 20 GP's, I'm hoping it will be a lot less painful because it is VERY painful. 

They're slower - yes.  I miss that a bit, but it could mean tighter racing.  I'm assuming Nico's lead yesterday was a fluke and with a bit of work here and there the other teams will catch up.

New rules and regs - Not being very technically minded, I'm still getting my head round some of them, so I'll come back to you on that.

F1 does change and evolve - sometimes not always for the better - but that's the nature of the beast.

We're only one race it, it's way too early to make judgement.  Let's see how it goes.  I honestly think it will settle down nicely and we'll have a great season:)

Edited by Amanda1978, 17 March 2014 - 08:43.

#8 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:43

Not really, they were always making mistakes or breaking down, there was no overtaking on the track after the first few laps, just all settled into a pattern.

No, if overtaking is so difficult, then qualifying is certainly important, and doesn't 'matter for **** in race'. Yet you manage to find a way to hate on both.

Edited by Lights, 17 March 2014 - 08:44.

#9 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:43

You can just not watch it?

Works for me with things I hate...

#10 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:50

Log out, turn off tv, delete all f1 related media accounts, thanks for coming, your 3 posts have meant the world the forum.

#11 Boing Ball

Boing Ball

• 395 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:51

I thought the race was decent, overtaking and all, but maybe my standards are low for having witnessed the whole 3L V10 era.

#12 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:53

Actually race was pretty decent, bah I would say it was even good. 

#13 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:53

there was no overtaking on the track after the first few laps, just all settled into a pattern.

That's how it always is  :rolleyes:

The racing was better than last year already. The tyres weren't the annoying and deciding factor they were last year. The cars weren't noticeably slower, they actually had higher top speeds and will soon eclipse the lap times of last year. What's wrong with drivers getting the power down out of the corners? It's good to see the drivers trying to control cars for a change - would you prefer them to be point & squirt, on rails like the last few years?

The only thing I agree with you on is the sound - that is a major issue in my book.

Edited by Jamiednm, 17 March 2014 - 08:54.

#14 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:54

you cant judge it 100% on this race as all the engineers were very nervous, which would have naturally lead them to be quite cautious, especially the renault teams. By the time we return to europe there will so much more data, and its then we will see the real balls out racing.

#15 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:07

It was a bad race. Bottas was the only one overtaking anybody.

I expect it to be even worse once we see more normal, dry qualifyings and the grid isn't mixed up.

I don't hate F1, though. I'm not particularly thrilled with everything, and I'm already waiting for next year for Ferrari and Renault engines to hopefully catch up a bit, but its still watchable.

Edited by Seanspeed, 17 March 2014 - 09:08.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,279 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:07

How refreshing to have a thread where someone complains that F1 isn't what it used to be.

Oh wait. The other thing.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I found the race very enjoyable.

#17 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:11

I wasn't that impressed really.

Seemed to me Rosberg was going as slow as necessary, was braking really early for the corners and not pushing at all from early on board shots in the race efter the safety car, he had it easy really, other than learning how everything works and what he could do to preserve everything.

And that last sentence sums exactly why there is a problem, it is now endurance for single seaters.

And I utterly loath endurance racing with a passion.  it is sport for drivers/teams only, not fans.

#18 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:19

Did everyone cry so much about the turbo sound in the early 1980's? I doubt it

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:22

And that last sentence sums exactly why there is a problem, it is now endurance for single seaters.
And I utterly loath endurance racing with a passion.  it is sport for drivers/teams only, not fans.

Its still really nothing like endurance racing.

Advertisement

#20 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:25

...which incidentially was at the peak of the exciting V10 times...

Edited by Jovanotti, 17 March 2014 - 09:26.

#21 Murl

Murl

• 743 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:40

...which incidentially was at the peak of the exciting V10 times...

So glad they got rid of those boring V10s.

Back in the day, V12s and for a real snoozefest, V16s. Man, you haven't whined until you have moaned about the demise of V16s.

Bring on the E-cars. Silent, with great racing.

#22 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:59

Bye then.

#23 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:09

Reserve your jugement. Everyone just tried to get to the end. It was nowhere representative for how it will be in the future.

#24 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:36

Who cares about the sound on TV, most people's TV speakers are so naff they can't hear the real sound. Go to a live event then you can complain about the sound. Doesn't matter anyway, every car sounds naff compared to a Top Fueller...

As for the engines, why should F1 stick with some old over-powered petrol-sucker. These are the latest, next-generation racing cars, not stock cars. Sports prototypes have run hybrid engines for two years now, F1 is just playing catch-up. The sense of speed thing is just down to poor use of camera angles anyway.

Overtaking? What series has as much overtaking as people seem to think F1 should have? Short circuit oval racing? If you have top quality drivers in similarly sped cars then there will always be minimal overtaking. Bottas did a lot of overtaking but only because at the start and after his pit-stop he started from further back than he should have been for car and talent. If he started where he qualified and didn't hit the wall he would only have overtaken a couple of cars.

#25 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:59

The F1 cars looked rapid at points. Much quicker on the straights than anything since 2004/2005. The Mercs in full flow looked seriously impressive.

I get why people have reservations but complaining these cars are slow is a touch silly. They're about the same speed as last year. I'm not sure about the sound (has pros and cons, mainly in favour) but I'm excited about the new technology. F1 should be pushing the boundaries.

#26 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:08

Who cares about the sound on TV, most people's TV speakers are so naff they can't hear the real sound. Go to a live event then you can complain about the sound. Doesn't matter anyway, every car sounds naff compared to a Top Fueller...

Are you suggesting that my speakers are so naff that I can't tel the difference between last years' engine sound and this years ? The sound is an issue in my book. They sound ****. They really do.

#27 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:12

I really liked the sound. Watched on mobile with big headphones. Really good; different.

Cars were just as fast. Overtaking was just as prevalent.

No problem at all. Will only get better too.

#28 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:16

I don't hate F1 but something tells me I am not going to like this new era very much unless things improve.  I will always watch F1, but I think my love for the sport will be considerably lower when we hit mid season this year. I found no enjoyment out of the OZ race apart from watching Bottas make his way back through the pack which would not of even happened had he not made a mistake.

#29 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,287 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:17

I hate to make an account to complain about the changes,

Is this a Fan-dango?

#30 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:17

I love it... I love the sound, i dont mind it being quiet it gives the impression of effortless speed,

I love the loose back end, love the futurism and crazy steering wheels.

I can understand the lack of volume is a problem at the circuit so i think they can work on that.

loadsa running in all sessions, drama politics etc

some people are stuck in the past..

#31 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:45

Other people must have been watching a different race to me, I saw lots of overtaking and throughly enjoyed it.

I love the tone of the engines but from the TV and reports from the track they appear to be way too quiet. That's a shame and I hope something can be done about that. Otherwise (barring double points nonesense)  its a big thumbs up for the new F1!

#32 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:19

I don't really know what to make of it. Its not for me at the moment but hopefully that will change.

#33 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 215 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:33

i didn't enjoy melbourne gp that much. here's my views on this new f1:

the engine sound is good (sounds similar to indycar) but the volume is so low on tv on the grid even on the 5th red light there was no volume.

there were some good overtaking moves(bottas on raikkonen and others) but it became a real procession mid race and in alonzos group knowone even tried an overtake(reminded me of monza 2013 which was also boring) it was building up at the end with mag and ric but it was an anticlimax(the battle not the dsq).

i think the tyres are back to 2010 tyres(sutil did 37 laps on option!!) i think malasia will be a 1 stop easy(if dry).

FOM need to sort out things aswell. the timing tv tower was missing for ages and it was wrong,endless replays on the start, and why haven't we seen the new rev counter on the world feed(why is it only on the onboard feed) and also thought fom were giving us new on screen graphics that showed fuel etc(read on a blog a few weeks back)

mabey im being critical, after all its only race, i will watch f1 no matter what but hopefuly the racing gets better as the season goes on

Edited by AlexanderF1, 17 March 2014 - 12:37.

#34 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:40

There was HEAPS of overtaking and much more dynamic cars that move about more than the old one.  It seems Kimi cannot drive them properly yet, maybe that is the  real concern of OP....

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:42

There really wasn't heaps of overtaking, though. I think Bottas accounted for like 90% of them. :p

#36 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:43

This was the first race after a significant rule change.

The fact that there was close racing and there wasn't a 22 car pileup was pretty much a miracle.

Remember, this is all as new to FOM and the teams as it is to us too.

I think it'll bring out better racing and better technology to be applied to everyday life. Last 4 year's formula was boring. This is the good stuff.

#37 68GCH

68GCH

• 26 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:46

I can see the lack of overtaking only getting worse, in dry conditions cars won't be caught out in quali and lower down the order than they should be, which was the main reason for the little overtaking there actually was in this one. Also people seemed rather eager to try and get them to eliminate the need to manage tyres and fuel during the race, but i can see the lack of those things turning the races into even worse processions, without cars going faster or slower during different periods of the race, or having different pace compared to qualifying. 

#38 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:54

I rarely ever agree when the press have a go at F1, but you only need to read the papers from across the world today to see that nobody was impressed.

I very much agree with this quote from the age.

The sound of the cars was dreadful, the racing was somnolent and the spectacle completely underwhelming. 

Full article http://www.theage.co...0316-34vkx.html

Edited by Massa_f1, 17 March 2014 - 12:54.

#39 photon

photon

• 240 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:55

I agree that the cars are embarrassing now.  They sound like cars in some Atari video game or something.  Moaning zombies even.  No excitement at all.  If the FIA thinks viewership and attendance isn't going to go down because people are going to think the MPG are wonderful, then they'll be sadly mistaken.  This wasn't the way to go at all.  The way to go was to reduce costs, not increase them while making the cars pathetic.

Advertisement

#40 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,095 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:56

The cars just looked so slow, I don't understand how going forwards means the cars are getting slower and slower, this should be the pinnacle, frigging they still haven't beaten the V10 times and didn't they have groves?

1. It was the same in 1998 after 1997. It's always the way after a new set of regs. They'll probably gain 2 seconds throughout the year, so will end up the same as last year.

2. The cars are already faster in a straight line than before. They could hit 230mph in China.

3. They're going sideways so much, which gives the illusion they're going slower than they are. They don't actually appear to be travelling more slowly to me though personally.

#41 cuddlybear

cuddlybear

• 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:04

Uhh I liked it. A lot actually. I think reliability is going to be fun this year. In addition Williams is back in the winning mix and RBR is a bit on the back foot. 

Will Kmag trump JB? so many plots to watch.
Yes the cars are not loud, but we can hear new things like trye squeal. 

Oh why have they removed the time from the live timing thing on the FIA website and replaced it with dots. That pisses me of

#42 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:07

A little disappointed with the sound on race day.

#43 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:08

I agree with some of the things the OP is saying especially the new sound. I wasn't overly thrilled seeing a quieter and slower F1 car and think F1 is perhaps making progress from a technological point of view but has regressed in terms of the actual experience and the racing. I think some of the responses to the OP are very rude and remember they are new here and are just as entitled to share their opinions. The whole feel of the sport is new this year and radically different, its bound to have fans liking it or hating it. I'm a little on the fence at present and wasn't overly impressed with yesterday's race. Hopefully things will change and perhaps they can inject some passion back into these dull sounding engines. :)

#44 pdac

pdac

• 17,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:08

I hate to make an account to complain about the changes ...

I have a lot of sympathy for your views. The sad truth, though, is that it's all about money now and the people that are running and administering the sport are doing everything the can to maximize the amount of money that they can make.

This involves calculating how many much money they will lose by making changes vs how much they will gain. As a fan, your feelings regarding the sport count only as much as you (and people who share your feelings) bring in money. That will already have been determined, so the only thing to figure out is whether the changes will cause you to abandon the sport and, therefore, whether the sport will lose your income.

If they can enact changes that they believe will bring new money in and, at the same time, won't cause so much distress that they will lose significant existing revenue sources, then they will make those changes. That's they way it is.

I've used the word 'sport' several times - of course, it's not a sport (very few 'sports' are these days).

#45 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:21

Anyone claiming that it was visibly slower is talking out of their backside. It was still F1 fast!

#46 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:33

The sound isn't as nice imo but that doesn't bother me. I don't think the race was that bad and I think we should give it some time to see how it goes. 

Edited by bub, 17 March 2014 - 13:34.

#47 Sulman

Sulman

• 77 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:55

This is very reactive. It's the first race of the biggest regulation changes in nearly thirty years. As things go, it was pretty damn good considering the cars were still being driven somewhat conservatively - they still looked a handful. 

Times change; naturally aspirated V8's wound up to 18k rpm were anachronistic and had as much torque as a family saloon car; they also struggled to crack 200mph. Sure they sounded fun, but it's illusory, you know?

When these cars are cracking 220-30mph at Monza I'm sure people will realise what an achievement the power units are, and all of this useing 60kg less fuel. 

#48 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:55

Race was decent cars were overtaking (except for Alonso on Hulk and Bottas on Verge for various understandable reasons) Speed was there, the engine noise was not the best but it was certainly still decent and now i can hear tyre squeal !! . Added to that the drivers actually had to work that throttle to prevent wheel spin.. KMag and Riccciardo were sublime .. special mention to Kviat.

Sorry but i enjoyed it immensely.

Edited by MaxisOne, 17 March 2014 - 13:56.

#49 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:01

As has been said above, find something else to do/watch. This constant whining about the regulation changes is really starting to grate.

#50 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:02

Race was decent cars were overtaking (except for Alonso on Hulk and Bottas on Verge for various understandable reasons) Speed was there, the engine noise was not the best but it was certainly still decent and now i can hear tyre squeal !! . Added to that the drivers actually had to work that throttle to prevent wheel spin.. KMag and Riccciardo were sublime .. special mention to Kviat.

Sorry but i enjoyed it immensely.

Which TV feed did you watch? I tried to hear the tyre squeal, but bloody Crofty never shuts up, and the reduced volume of the power-trains makes him more audible :-( Likewise, I generally enjoyed the race, the fact the cars are difficult to drive once again, the performances of the young drivers, etc. If they can raise the volume of the cars to increase the spectacle, I'll be a happy bunny.