Photo

Yimkin Engineering

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 20:57

Despite  committing the beginners mistake of bidding far too early in my enthusiasm to get it, I have become the (very!) proud owner of this:

13226659784_23e6600238.jpg

As soon as I saw it I recognised the chassis as being a Yimkin - built in the late '50s and into 1960 by the London firm better known for their tuning accessories for the Minor and early Minis.

I'm not sure how many they built, but I doubt more than a handful. Anyone got any idea?

I compared the chassis for sale with the photo in one of my old 'Special builder' books and it is obviously different, but closely related, so I assumed it was an original which had been modified, but I noticed the lack of front suspension mountings which confused me.

13226663464_eafe64bfc4.jpg

13226337135_206db64cac.jpg

A bit of a web search later and it seems that whilst the original cars were built to race in Formula Junior or as sportscars with cycle wings and single curvature alloy bodywork, the company began work on a Mk2 to take a fully enveloping body but it was not completed....... It seems likely that this is the car I have bought.

Does anyone have any contacts for anyone involved with the company at the time?  If I can get its identity confirmed then I should be able to get it registered correctly down the line.

Currently my thoughts are that it'll take a 1100cc A series as though it would have run in 1100cc sportscar racing against Lotus 11s etc, with the Microplas Mistral Body that's available again.

A proper late 50's racer in the making?

Happy days!

Just need to get it up from Sussex to Fife and work out how to get 2 projects into a single garage........ :-)

Al

Advertisement

#2 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 20:59

OOPS!, double post - Moderator, can you delete one please?

Ta,

Al

#3 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 21:04

I see what you mean about you "enthusiasm."  ;)

Looks like an iteresting project.

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 21:54

Alastair, I will pm Don Sim's  tel no and e mail info. to you. Last time I spoke to him he was on simply wonderful form, memory sound as a pound, trenchant views, just the sort of stuff you need. Brilliant guy.

Roger Lund

edit  Have sent e mail to you.

Edited by bradbury west, 17 March 2014 - 21:59.

#5 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 22:09

TNF is great!

Cheers Roger.

Al

#6 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 23:12

I was always puzzled as to why the top mountings of the front springs were on the top wishbones. The last time I drove a Yimkin was at Brands on a freezing cold day in early '65/66, can't remember which. Richard Groombridge was looking to sell his "A" Series powered one - After I slid off, twice, at about 5 MPH, we called it a day! My "Inheritance", £400 of British Rail War Stock 1945 (or something like that) turned out to be worth a bit less than bugger-all, so I couldn't buy it.

Note! The rents then were cheap enough to build racing cars in Sloane Street, an area where a single car garage now probably costs in the region of £500,000!

Ah Fife. I may be moving up that way soon - ish. I could quite happily live in Crail, Pittenweem or Anstruther, though the wife might think it a bit cold and prefer to live nearer to her home city of Dunblane; either would be quite handy for Knockhill. If we sell our house in Barnet, we could probably buy a mansion in Fife. I go to St Andrews to fly my kite, nice strong and consistent wind and the roar of Tornados from Leuchars.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 17 March 2014 - 23:13.

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 23:48

Ah, Fife!

If you stand on the top of Largo Law, Knock Hill, or any other Fife hill and look east, the next highest point is the Ural Mountains.  So the east wind has a good long way to acquire its chill.

But, if you get a sunny day whan there's no wind - Fife is lovely

Edited by D-Type, 17 March 2014 - 23:53.

#8 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:02

I "stayed" in Fife for a while many years ago, in Kircaldy. I lodged in a SSHA (Scottich Special Housing Association if I recall correctly) tin house. In the winter I awoke to ice on the inside of the windows and looking forward to the landladies Scottish fry-up breakfast!

The chassis looks an interesting project to say the least. Wan't Don Sim the man behind the Divas?

#9 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:30

Pooks have got a Yimkin brochure for sale on Ebay at the moment.

#10 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:37

kVCuChE.jpg

Looks like it was only 2 cars made according to A-Z racing Book. Great find hope youhave fun. :wave:

Edited by eldougo, 18 March 2014 - 08:41.

#11 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:51

Yes, Don Sim was Diva - I worked there for a while, and even in that short period there were two "Sponsors", Leo Bertorelli and Sir John Samuel, a lovely chap, he once drove a Diva down to my father-in-law's house and took him for a spin; he later went on to make the Enfield electric car.

#12 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:24

kVCuChE.jpg

Looks like it was only 2 cars made according to A-Z racing Book. Great find hope youhave fun. :wave:

The A-Z of sportscars suggests 6 + the 2 Juniors, though one of the selling points of the sportscars was that they could be easily converted fo Juniors, so they may actually have been included in the 6.

I think there is one racing in FJ (or there was at Goodwood in fairly recent times), but does anyone know the whereabouts of any of the others?

Al

#13 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:51

does anyone know the whereabouts of any of the others?

I take it you've tried the obvious. If RagBag doesn't know then they'll probably be very hard to find...

#14 Garsted

Garsted

• 183 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:57

I wonder why they changed the side rails to curve outwards where they meet the scuttle bulkhead? Not exactly sound spaceframe design practice - there must be a reason.  To make space for a proper 2 seater perhaps?

Steve

#15 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:26

I take it you've tried the obvious. If RagBag doesn't know then they'll probably be very hard to find...

Yes, am waiting to hear back from both Duncan R. and Don Sim.

I've also messaged Ed Gasier as I believe he raced on in the '80s, so may know of any others.

Meanwhile, a trawl through the bookshelves produced this:

13362051425_f7ba1cec0c.jpg

Al

#16 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:35

The artical on the "Maybe"  or translated in Arabic "YIMKIN"...... :up:  Maybe we will see it on the track on day .

Thanks Mistron.

#17 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:50

There was a Yimkin racing in Rhodesia during the early 60s.

I think it was the successful driver Clive Puzey who raced it.

Clive of course campaigned the ex-Gary Hocking Lotus 18/21 ? Climax (or Lotus 18M ?)for a few seasons and even upgraded it to 2.5 litre form if my memory serves me right?

#18 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 20:26

My research is still going on until the chassis arrives, but I've spoken with Both Don Sim and Richard Groomridge, and so far neither have been able to identify the origins of the chassis.

Don is adamant there were only 6 cars built, and the one raced by Clive Posey as a Junior with an A- Series is the one owned in the 80s by Ed Glasier and now run by Alessandro Ripamonte in Italy.

Dom recalls Richard Groombridge building his own car which was called the 'Divette', and Richard says this is the only one he had and wasn't actually a 'Yimkin' as it differed  from them significantly, so, anyone got any ideas what happened to the other 5 chassis?

Al

Edited by Mistron, 05 April 2014 - 20:26.

#19 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:53

The artical on the "Maybe"  or translated in Arabic "YIMKIN"...... :up:  Maybe we will see it on the track on day .

Thanks Mistron.

And if we do, and it is successful, we could rename it "Mumkin" (If my memory has not gone completely is Arabic that translates to "It's possible").

Advertisement

#20 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:53

Ha ah, that is an ideal name for the resultant special ! (though it sounds a bit like a character from an Oliver Postgate animation from the '70s )

Al

#21 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:14

Al, have you spoken to  Ted Walker about the other cars? Or Spencer Elton?

Roger

#22 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 13:36

I never seem to get a reply from Ted? is his email the one on the Ferret site?.

Might give Spencer a try

Al

#23 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 22:55

I know Don Sim went on to form Diva (and Tunex Conversions) after leaving Yimkin Engineering, in about '61, but does anyone know what Mike Handley went on to do? Or did he stay on at Yimkin, which seems to have been  the servicing arm of the Gordon & Glynn sales concern run by a Mrs Herbert. On her death in '63 the whole concern seems to have passed to Mike Braby who was both a business and racing competitor - he raced a Britannia in FJ.

I've been in touch with a chap who has confirmed that he was consulted on the development of my chassis, and it is as he saw it in about '63. This would imply it was perhaps  developed after DS (and Richard Groombridge) formed Diva, but I've not been able to confirm which employees of Yimkin may have been involved after Don left

Anyone any ideas if Mike Handley continued with Yimkin, or elsewhere in racing? 

Al

#24 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 15:59

Just a quick note to let you know that I purchased this chassis earlier in the year and that I'm still doing a bit of homework before starting any real work. I've been in touch with Don, Duncan and Ed and so far as I'm able to piece together the chassis is a Yimkin and was either modified or built after Don Sim sold the company. Also that it used to hang from their ceiling in the Cadogan Lane garage for a while. So hopefully things will be cleared up when a photo turns up or that jogs anyones memories. There's also a small feature in this months Classic Cars Magazine with a call for information which hopefully will speed things up. 

In the meantime I've been pulling things together into a blog so please do feedback if you have any information or forward on to interested parties. Not that there can be very many out there but who knows. I've done quite a bit of work investigating the chassis and it's clearly a Yimkin that's been hacked about so I've highlighted the work so there's a clear view of 'Before' and 'After' with most of the original tubes still being clearly visible and even where bits have been hacked off and relocated.  

My father used to own the Ed Glaister Yimkin too so has had a good look and given it the 'thumbs up' as he rebuilt his / Ed's from a bare chassis in the 70's. Please do take a look and let me know what you think. 

http://www.yimkin.co.uk/

Best, Alastair

Edited by AlCox, 17 July 2015 - 18:51.

#25 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 20:21

Happy to share some great news.

One of the forum members has kindly shared copies of a set of Kodak slides, featuring the Yimkin chassis outside Cadogan Lane in 1963.

They've been hiding for the best part of 50 years too.

http://www.yimkin.co.uk/#!Chassis-discover-at-Yimkin-works-in-1963/c1rfl/56a3ecc60cf230b3a0f7fca0

Included in this set are some amazing photos of Yimkin XYN160 which also shared the garage space.

http://www.yimkin.co.uk/#!More-amazing-photos-from-the-Yimkin-Works-in-1963/c1rfl/56be51a90cf27192b1d804eb

So that nails the provenance but finding out what the chassis was intended for is going to be a real challenge. 

It should really go back to standard Yimkin trim but I'm reticent. Maybe there was some real purpose behind the updates. 

Any ideas where to turn next?

Thanks again to everyone who's been in touch and helped pull this project forward.

It really is deeply appreciated. 

Best, Al. 

Edited by AlCox, 14 February 2016 - 00:29.

#26 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 00:42

What an absoLutely brilliant gallery of photographs, and so clear. Many thanks for posting them.
As an aside, and on the grounds of accuracy, I must point out the error in the Motor Sport caption showing Parkinson's Yimkin at the Goodwood chicane. The car leading him is not Paul Kelly in the Longbacon, but the excellent Jack Murrell in the fantastic little mk2 DRW designed and built by himself and David Warwick. Sadly for us LAT have advised me that they do not hold a copy of the original in their files.
My apologies but I cannot offer the usual disclaimers
Roger Lund
DRW marque historian

#27 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 16:24

The 750mc today shared a lovely film of the 1960 Birkett 6hr Relay at Silverstone, a fantastic bit of film.

It looks to me like one or maybe a pair of Yimkins took part (though in cine film  footage, a Yimkin is rather Terrier-like...... I wonder, does anyone have the programme for the race?

Al (the previous, not current owner Al :)  )

#28 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 17:16

Al, where was the film shown? Is it available anywhere? I have an interest in that race, as you can imagine
I will scan and send a copy of the programme.
Roger Lund

#29 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 17:34

Hi Roger, You will indeed! It's on their facebook page, but I don't seem to be able to paste a link

I found the programme on that well known auction site, and the seller had the decency to scan each page.... Not the best way to get a sale! :stoned:

http://www.ebay.co.u...YYAAOSw-itXtIEN

Al

#30 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 17:54

https://vimeo.com/183615384

#31 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 18:59

Thanks, Al. At least he saved himself the cost of free postage....
RL

#32 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 20:19

I believe he has since achieved a sale to a certain Yimkin owner, so my conscience is clear :lol:

Al

#33 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:33

Al, I can see a couple of Terriers early on, but the almost horizontal bladed edge style on the rear wings is similar on Terrier and Yimkin alike. I have only watched on an I pad so far so will look on the desktop too. Lots of A7 specials and series 1 Lotus Sevens make up most of the small stuff. For me there are a couple of nice shots of Harry Ratcliffe in his Minor, and clear shots of Tommy Entwistle in a mk1 TVR. There is an interesting range of engine sizes in the winning Tornado team. There is a good shot of the mk2 DRW too, the very stylish ali bodied pre clubman's model.
Roger

#34 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:46

Thanks again Al, 

I've pulled the Yimkin photos from the video here and it looks like the John Parkinson [XYN160] Yimkin:

http://www.yimkin.co...at-Birkett-1960

There's a possibility that my / your chassis may have been on display at the 1961 Racing Car Show too [which would tidy things up].

Does anyone have any photos from the day in question? I know it's a long shot ...

It was Stand 28. Across from Ashley Laminates and next to Continental Tyers. 

http://www.yimkin.co...g-Car-Show-1961

"The frame shown is for an entirely new project details of which are available on the stand or on application."

At least that proves there was a Yimkin produced in 1961 so slowly getting there. 

All help and old photos would be very much appreciated!

Best, Al 

#35 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 18:26

Al, OT a bit, but there is a nice shot of the silver/blue striped Terrier of Tony Youlten in the film. Interestingly, when Tony's widow died, part of the package of his effects which I inherited was his full race diary for every race from 1958 to when he finished. It makes fascinating reading, who did what, what went wrong, how they fixed things, how they performed etc etc, written at the time, in period. There is no entry at all for the 6 hour relay race that year, the race prior and the one a week later both being covered.
Another of the joys is a framed 20 x16 inch painting by his pal and co racer Bill Cooper, of the Terrier racing with Alan Wershat in Lolita. Bill of course worked with Tony in the Ad world , and was a talented painter.
Tony, of course, for those not aware of it, raced a mark two DRW a couple of years later.
Roger Lund

#36 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 22:56

The red Yimkin certainly looks like the car driven By Richard Groombridge in the Clubmans 1 Litre class, and which I tried one icy day at Brands before failing to buy it through lack of cash.

#37 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 18:09

the Yimkin FJ that used to race a few years back is for sale at a dealer in Italy  

1760.png

http://www.repettomo...junior 1960.htm

#38 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:26

Snetterton, 27 March 1960:

https://revslib.stan...log/yv377zc8731

https://revslib.stan...log/jc671nb6033

Updated links (18/04/2021):

https://library.revs...ALL=yv377zc8731

https://library.revs...ALL=jc671nb6033

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 18 April 2021 - 06:34.

#39 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 20:58

Thx RLT!

Great Snetterton photos .. somehow I missed this update. Both new to me :-)

There's a bit more on the 1961 Racing Car Show connection in the Motor Racing Magazine article here too:

https://www.yimkin.c...w-1961-Par-Deux

"Last year, the 1960 geodetic frame was included on the stand. The frame this year is for an entirely new project, details of which can be obtained on the stand from the staff on duty, Mrs P. Herbert, A. Sim, H. Hermon, E. Parkin and L. Fenne".

Mrs Herbert has passed, A. Sim is accounted for but does anyone have a connection to either H. Hermon, E. Parkin or L. Fenne?

Fingers crossed. It would be great if this was my chassis or simply to discount it from the search. 

Best, Al 

Advertisement

#40 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 17:36

Well, the nights are drawing in. So I thought an update on the Yimkin would be in place. Since my early posts I've been making good progress on identifying each of the Yimkin cars and also picking up lots of useful technical details. Some of which help differentiate or discount each car. If anyone's interested there's an impartial list of the cars on my blog, along with some nice finds like the Yimkin FJ/Sports Racing Specs and Yimkin Stage Tuning Specs. 

In my last post (it's been a while!) I was pinning my hopes on my own chassis being the 1. '1961 Racing Car Show chassis' (as an outlier) but as you'll see from the pics, this can clearly be discounted, along with 2. Don Sim's original car, 3. the Clive Puzey FJ car (Rhodesia) and 4. my fathers old car (Italy). I'm assured it's not the 5. John Parkinson Sports Racing car (XYN160) too but can't technically discount it yet (it's the closest match). So that's 4 or 5 of the 6 known cars discounted. 

Not bad progress but where does that leave me?? Any ideas??

It's a tall order but my next job is to try to add a list of owners or drivers to each car .. hope you enjoy the update .. does anyone know which of the cars listed was drive by Richard Groombridge? 

The chassis list is here:

https://www.yimkin.co.uk/chassis

Thanks to all those who've given me a nudge or sent photos. 

Best, Al  

Edited by AlCox, 29 October 2020 - 17:38.

#41 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 19:44

Well, the nights are drawing in. So I thought an update on the Yimkin would be in place. Since my early posts I've been making good progress on identifying each of the Yimkin cars and also picking up lots of useful technical details. Some of which help differentiate or discount each car. If anyone's interested there's an impartial list of the cars on my blog, along with some nice finds like the Yimkin FJ/Sports Racing Specs and Yimkin Stage Tuning Specs. 

In my last post (it's been a while!) I was pinning my hopes on my own chassis being the 1. '1961 Racing Car Show chassis' (as an outlier) but as you'll see from the pics, this can clearly be discounted, along with 2. Don Sim's original car, 3. the Clive Puzey FJ car (Rhodesia) and 4. my fathers old car (Italy). I'm assured it's not the 5. John Parkinson Sports Racing car (XYN160) too but can't technically discount it yet (it's the closest match). So that's 4 or 5 of the 6 known cars discounted. 

Not bad progress but where does that leave me?? Any ideas??

It's a tall order but my next job is to try to add a list of owners or drivers to each car .. hope you enjoy the update .. does anyone know which of the cars listed was drive by Richard Groombridge? 

The chassis list is here:

https://www.yimkin.co.uk/chassis

Thanks to all those who've given me a nudge or sent photos. 

Best, Al  

I drove Richard Groobridge's car at Brands one winter day, I would have had an easier time at Streatham Ice Rink - One lap, two spins at about 5MPH! The outstanding memory of Richard's car was that the front coil-over dampers were attached to the top wishbone towards the inboard end, which may be a clue as to which chassis it was - Was this an attempt at rising rate suspension? Unfortunately I have no photos of the occasion. Richard and I both worked at Diva during the time he was racing it in the 1,000cc Clubmans class, so he may well have acquired it directly from Don Sim.

Have you tried The Clubman's Register? I think it exists.

I'm sending you a PM.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 29 October 2020 - 19:52.

#42 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:33

Brilliant. Many thanks.

There's a good shot of the front wishbone arrangement you're describing here:

https://www.yimkin.c...n-works-in-1963

Standard 10 uprights and wishbones ... which are in the pile of parts I've been building. Although mine don't have the plate between the wishbones to take the damper. So I need to look into that. My fathers car had the later setup with the damper terminating on the top chassis rail, which was then connected to the opposite side with a cross bar, so I'll see if I can dig out a shot and upload it for comparison.

My other train of thought on the chassis (timing wise) was that it may have been a reaction by Yimkin to Don leaving to set up DIVA and was maybe a mockup of 'something similar'? Maybe a weekend with a welding torch on an existing chassis ... but that's just conjecture. It's an early chassis design though. So who knows?

I'll see if I can connect with Richard and thx for the tip about the Clubmans register too. I'd not thought of that.

One other thing I've been looking into is what happened to the engines from each car? Assuming the other cars no longer exist? One went into this early Mallock U2 so I'm chasing that down just to see where it all leads. I guess the engines must be somewhere ...

750 U2 Reference:
https://static1.squa...vdg5j8KJGKwiuF0

This is the U2 in later guise with a Viva engine. Which may be of interest to others too:

https://www.annteak....Q23LQEUDQyD5eHE

It was build by John Heseltine if that rings any bells?

Like I was saying, the nights are drawing in, it's all interesting and new to me though :drunk: .

Best, Al

#43 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:12

Richard's "A" Series had a persistant misfire, which was solved by exchanging the crankshaft with that of my friend Paul Rendle's blown engine from his F3 Cooper.

Richard Scott made the chassis at Diva and later went on to found Centaur Engineering in Walberswick in Suffolk, mainly making chassis for 750, 1172 and Clubmans cars, including Groombridge's 1,500cc Centaur (or was it renamed "Hustler - Can't remember) - I don't know if he had any connection with Yimkin - Unfortunately he died earlir this year, so you can't ask.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 30 October 2020 - 12:13.

#44 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 06:39

Here is a yarn ref the Sartor GT (with thanks to Rob Pennington):

Boxing Day Brands Hatch, 26 December 1961

Event 1, PECO TROPHY (A) 10 laps

Start 12:38 p.m.

1. H. W. Epps (Dvr: D. Mockford) Lotus Ford, 997

2. M. Adlington, Lotus Ford, 997

4. P. W. Deal, Lotus Ford, 997

5. D.R.W. Engineering (Dvr: J. A. Murrell or G. E. Oliver) D.R.W. Ford, 997

6. Ecurie Freeze (Dvr: J. Oliver) Marcos GT, 997

7. L. Bertorelli (Dvr: J. Parkinson) Sartor GT, 997

8. C. Baker, Austin Healey Sebring Sprite, 994

9. J. E. Miles, Austin Healey Sprite, 978

10. C. N. Ramus, Austin Healey Sprite, 978

11. R. Randall, Austin Healey Sprite, 978

12. Miss R. Seers, M.G. Midget 948, DNS

14. M. H. Cave, Austin A40, 997

15. D. A. Austin, Ford Anglia 997, DNS

16. Team Boomerang (Dvr: D. P. Merfield) Ford Anglia, 997

Late Entry (written in)

17. John Sprinzel, Austin Healey Sebring Sprite

Result (written in programme): #5, #4, #17, #6, #16, #10

Winner's Time: 11min 25.4sec

Fastest Lap: #1, 65.2 sec, 68.47 m.p.h.

The Sartor GT is pictured here:

At left: https://library.revs...ion=p17257coll1

Better yet: https://library.revs...ion=p17257coll1

#7, registration 3 DLH.

I connected J. Parkinson to Yimkin, so here we are — the Sartor GT looks Diva-like  but is it?

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 17 April 2021 - 17:06.

#45 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 16:33

My apologies, I clear forgot to respond to the post about Richard Scott (many thanks) ... what an interesting background. I thought it may be worth sharing his obituary, all new to me and a good potted history lesson:  http://walberswick.o...s/news/view/491

There's a good potted history of DIVA on the following link too. Going by the names and dates in the article it (No.7) sounds like it could be one of the first Heron Europa bodied cars? Are there any other references to the Sartor GT? I've had a quick look but can't find anything ..?

Diva article here:

https://www.motorspo.../no-prima-donna

If it was one of the two the Heron bodied cars, there's a photo of one of them on this thread which seams to have similar front end?

https://journal.clas...1-heron-europa/

https://ccnwordpress...RS-2015-009.jpg

There's not much progress on the Yimkin research, although I did get a response back from Laurence Pearce to see if his father acquired any of the Yimkin Engineering kit. All knowledge 'lost in the mists of time' though. 

There's a very sharp photo of a Yimkin that's popped up on the McKlein image database recently though. It looks so fresh the number plate looks like it has just been stuck on:

https://www.yimkin.c...racing-car-show

The sun is out here ... Covid looks like it's on the run ... so happy days. 

Best, Al

Edited by AlCox, 17 April 2021 - 16:53.

#46 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 16:41

Al, I can't find anything else ref the Sartor GT — seems like a real obscurity.

If it is a Diva why wasn't it entered as such? Does it look like one?

RGDS RLT

#47 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 16:57

It does look like a Heron to me ... although I can only see the image on your first link.  I'll ask John and revert back  :)

Best, Al

#48 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 17:10

Al, Something strange happening with picture link. Test — hope this works for you:

https://library.revs...ion=p17257coll1

Does the reg number ring any bells?

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 17 April 2021 - 17:12.

#49 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 06:57

Silverstone, 3 September 1960, SUNBAC

Six-lap scratch race, sports cars under

1,000 c.c.:

1. A. Everett (Falcon Ford) 71.79 m.p.h.;

2. A. J. D. Sim (Yimkin B.M.C.);

3. M. Henderson (Lotus)

RGDS RLT

#50 DUFFY

DUFFY

• 118 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:52

Hi Rupert and Rob,

The car is the Prototype Diva GT (with a Heron body) Boxing Day 1961 was its first race.

There is a report on the car in Car Mechanics, April 1962. Sorry, it is a poor image but it is the best I have. Someone may have a copy of the magazine and can show us a better image?

Diva-GT.jpg

Here is the same car at Snetterton, 17th March 1963.

John Bloomfield drives car number 37, a Diva GT, registration '3 DLH'.

https://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/custom/single-image?id=397347&collection=p17257coll1

Regards,

Tony.