Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Could Red Bull use Mercedes engines in 2015?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Arbaaz11

Arbaaz11

• 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:31

Is it me? Or, has anyone noticed Horner being very chatty with Boulier, Toto and i think Paddy? I mean it's not usually the case, to see Horner talking with anybody.

Do you people think, there might be a possible move of Red Bull from Renault to Mercedes??

I read somewhere that there is a performance clause between Red Bull and Renault, that if Renault cannot provide a good enough engine, in this case, power unit, they may move to another supplier.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Advertisement

#2 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:32

Is it me? Or, has anyone noticed Horner being very chatty with Boulier, Toto and i think Paddy? I mean it's not usually the case, to see Horner talking with anybody.

Do you people think, there might be a possible move of Red Bull from Renault to Mercedes??

I read somewhere that there is a performance clause between Red Bull and Renault, that if Renault cannot provide a good enough engine, in this case, power unit, they may move to another supplier.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

no

#3 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:35

no

One and done.

If you need reasons OP - Mercedes already supplies as many teams as is allowed.

And certainly Mercedes are not going to be eager to supply the team that just dominated the sport for 4 years with their superior engine and give them a massive competitive advantage.

#4 Arbaaz11

Arbaaz11

• 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:38

One and done.

And certainly Mercedes are not going to be eager to supply the team that just dominated the sport for 4 years with their superior engine and give them a massive competitive advantage.

oh i see ... thanks :D

#5 Abranet

Abranet

• 294 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:39

There is no benefit to Merc to do this, in fact it would just be detrimental to their own team. MB are happily watching RB suffer atm and intend to make hay while the sun shines. Renault will catch up at some point I have no doubt.

#6 McRules

McRules

• 177 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:44

Never say never, with Mclaren choosing Honda, Mercedes might well be happy with a replacement customer.

#7 Arbaaz11

Arbaaz11

• 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:49

Never say never, with Mclaren choosing Honda, Mercedes might well be happy with a replacement customer.

yeah nico warned kevin to be very careful with that topic during the post-race conference....

maybe red bull is willing to put a lot of cash on the table

#8 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:50

One and done.

Next season Merc will have an opening as Mac move to Honda.

#9 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:52

One and done.If you need reasons OP - Mercedes already supplies as many teams as is allowed.And certainly Mercedes are not going to be eager to supply the team that just dominated the sport for 4 years with their superior engine and give them a massive competitive advantage.

Not that I believe any of this, but McLaren are moving to Honda next year, so shouldn't there be a spare slot for a Mercedes engine?

#10 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:55

I would be VERY surprised to see Mercedes powering Red Bull, but cash talks...

#11 Arbaaz11

Arbaaz11

• 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:56

is it confirmed that Mclaren will be moving back to Honda next year? Will that not be a mistake? Mercedes is going strong it seems....

#12 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:56

yeah nico warned kevin to be very careful with that topic during the post-race conference....

Could you elaborate?

#13 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:57

Cash? Nah. That won't influence what Merc does..... Short, medium or long term. It's success which gives them the "Win in Sunday - sell on Monday" artillery. And that's what they want.

Short-term, at least, they have no real need to supply to the likes of RB - and thus water down the achievements of the factory operation. However. If Newey gets another leg-up chassis wise, and the Merc is going nowhere, then it's perfectly plausible.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 13:58

is it confirmed that Mclaren will be moving back to Honda next year? Will that not be a mistake? Mercedes is going strong it seems....

Yes it's very much confirmed. 

Who knows if it will be a mistake or not. It's quite possible that Honda could produce a unit that is better than the Merc. But the biggest benefit is mac will not be paying for the engine and will be getting full works support.

#15 Arbaaz11

Arbaaz11

• 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:01

Could you elaborate?

Q: (Ralf Bach - R&B) Kevin, one question: I think Mercedes is a very good engine. Would you like to stay with it next year?
NR:
Careful. He’s really dangerous so best to say no comment.
KM: No comment.
NR: When he asks a question, no comment.
KM: I’m happy just to be with McLaren. I think what Mercedes and McLaren have done together is amazing and really looking forward to what’s coming ahead.

#16 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:03

Would Mercedes really be interested with selling what could be their biggest rival a powerplant that could enable them to be beaten? The weak point at Red Bull at present is the overheating and the Renault engine that can't be used at full pace. I think Merc are comfortable with that and don't need the extra cash just yet. :)

#17 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:03

Q: (Ralf Bach - R&B) Kevin, one question: I think Mercedes is a very good engine. Would you like to stay with it next year?
NR:
Careful. He’s really dangerous so best to say no comment.KM: No comment.NR: When he asks a question, no comment.KM: I’m happy just to be with McLaren. I think what Mercedes and McLaren have done together is amazing and really looking forward to what’s coming ahead.

Wow. I wonder what the reporters reputation is that it would instigate such a strong reaction from Nico?

Edited by Nahnever, 20 March 2014 - 14:04.

#18 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:05

Wow. I wonder who the reporter was to instigate such a strong reaction from Nico?

It wasn't really that strong a reaction, just a nudge to a junior driver to not drop himself in it.

#19 Arbaaz11

Arbaaz11

• 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:05

Wow. I wonder what the reporters reputation is that it would instigate such a strong reaction from Nico?

Ralf Bach his name was.. :well:

Advertisement

#20 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:08

Considering their current form and advantage, Mercedes giving their engines to Adrian Newey would be WCC suicide. 

#21 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:08

The only reason I could see this happening is if Mercedes, achieving its objectives of winning both championships, withdraws its works team at the end of the season, which I think is unlikely considering the fact that we are the the beginning of a new formula.

#22 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:10

Ralf Bach his name was.. :well:

Sorry, I meant reputation not name. You were to quick and missed my edit. :p

#23 photon

photon

• 240 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:10

It's clearly in both parties's interest that RBR adopt Mercedes engines next year when McL switches to Honda.  For Mercedes, it would reduce the chances of another engine manufacturer winning championships instead of them.  For RBR is would mean having a better engine than the one they get from Renault.

I almost expect RBR to switch to Mercedes engines next year.  The reason I include the word "almost" is that RBR might want to wait to see what the picture is after Honda has arrived.  If Honda has a better engine than Mercedes, then I expect RBR to switch to Honda, which of course would be a worst case scenario for Mercedes. 

#24 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:12

Yeah, of course Mercedes is that dump, to hand over their engine advantage to that team, that is known for the best aero, to lose out the title, they wouldn't do it even if Red Bull is throwing a ridiculous amount of money. 

#25 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:22

Everything is possible and it would certainly help them cover their backs to have Red Bull join after McLaren left.

Edited by Atreiu, 20 March 2014 - 14:31.

#26 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:27

Posts deleted.

Please keep it civil.

#27 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:36

Yeah, of course Mercedes is that dump, to hand over their engine advantage to that team, that is known for the best aero, to lose out the title, they wouldn't do it even if Red Bull is throwing a ridiculous amount of money. 

That's how the team could think, but the guys in suits back in Stuttgart could very much screw that in favour of wins and titles. There is precedent, IMO.They seemed happy enough when Brawn won, even if McLaren was their 'factory' team back then.

#28 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:41

NR:
Careful. He’s really dangerous so best to say no comment.
KM: No comment.
NR: When he asks a question, no comment.
KM: I’m happy just to be with McLaren. I think what Mercedes and McLaren have done together is amazing and really looking forward to what’s coming ahead.

I think that is more a comment on the reporter than the actual question.

#29 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

That's how the team could think, but the guys in suits back in Stuttgart could very much screw that in favour of wins and titles. There is precedent, IMO.They seemed happy enough when Brawn won, even if McLaren was their 'factory' team back then.

Happy enough to buy out Brawn and end the works deal with McLaren?

#30 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

It depends how Mercedes realistically view their long term chassis potential, versus that of McLaren and possibly RBR powered by Honda. If they're pessimistic on that front, they may prefer an RBR "powered by Mercedes" to be winning everything. Certainly preferable, bearing in mind their objectives, to an RBR "powered by Honda" winning everything.

#31 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:42

But back in time you had no Mercedes works team, or do you believe Ferrari would give RedBull their engine - if they know it is so good. Mercedes will search for another customer, but certainly not RedBull. But I am happy to be wrong about it 

#32 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:44

I think that is more a comment on the reporter than the actual question.

This is intriguing too, just what has this journalist done to provoke such a reaction from the usually affable Rosberg?

#33 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 15:16

There's another side to this that people are missing here, Infiniti. Aren't they fronting up a lot of cash to cover the Renault engine costs and then some? Bye-bye Renault means bye-bye Infiniti sponsorship and RB having to buy their engines themselves and loosing that money for car development.

#34 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 15:46

I think Rosberg was just having a bit of fun with Kevin and the journalist who is German and probably knows Nico well, I've noticed Nico often says things to pit lane reporters and TV presenters with a bit of a glint in his eye but they dont pick up on it that he's joking.

As for Red Bull using Merc engines next year personally I cant see it but this is F1 so cant be entirely ruled out.

Edited by Mart280, 20 March 2014 - 15:48.

#35 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 15:54

The only way RedBull can get the Mercedes engine is if Mercedes decides to sell their team and only remain in F1 as an engine supplier.

#36 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 15:57

I think Rosberg was just having a bit of fun with Kevin and the journalist who is German and probably knows Nico well, I've noticed Nico often says things to pit lane reporters and TV presenters with a bit of a glint in his eye but they dont pick up on it that he's joking.

That would explain a lot. If Nico had not said that in jest, it would seem so totally out of character for him, he comes across as one of the nicest guys in F1.

#37 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 15:57

No. That's wishful thinking. With the kind of dough Mateschitz is throwing at the F1 team, I would say they either buy Viry-Chatillon lock,stock, and barrel, or bring in somebody new, capable and exclusive to them. Mercedes PU? No, that's near impossible.

#38 F. Scaramanga

F. Scaramanga

• 190 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 16:03

Wolff to Mateschitz: "I give you the engine, you give me Newey."

Fair deal for MGP!  :up:  :p

#39 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,262 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 16:08

Wolff to Mateschitz: "I give you the engine, you give me Newey."

Fair deal for MGP! :up: :p

That's the only way this could ever happen :)

As long as Newey is at RBR, Merc won't give them an engine.

Advertisement

#40 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 16:21

Yes it's very much confirmed. 

Who knows if it will be a mistake or not. It's quite possible that Honda could produce a unit that is better than the Merc. But the biggest benefit is mac will not be paying for the engine and will be getting full works support.

Quite possible? Given the current state of the PUs, they should be very, very happy if they match Mercedes by next year.

#41 aifol

aifol

• 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 17:55

I don't believe it will happen.

If McLaren goes to Honda it's because it will cost less money to be a partner rather than a client. Same way with RBR and Renault. As a partner RB has to pay less money for the PU, and Infiniti is there thanks to Renault. So if they go to Mercedes they will have to pay more money and they will lose the support of Infiniti (changing the PU is certainly a breach of contract, as Infiniti is part of Renault-Nissan alliance).

Ok Infiniti is said to be leaving in 2016, but Renault will certainly take back the place on the car they had before the arrival of Infiniti.

A supposed better engine but a lower budget is not the way RB used to win, and they also like to show the finger to their supplier rather than to themselves when they don't win.

#42 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 19:23

Anything is possible - but I don't see RBR abandoning Renault - they will improve in the coming races and then the point will be moot anyway...

#43 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 19:25

I don't believe it will happen.

If McLaren goes to Honda it's because it will cost less money to be a partner rather than a client. Same way with RBR and Renault. As a partner RB has to pay less money for the PU, and Infiniti is there thanks to Renault. So if they go to Mercedes they will have to pay more money and they will lose the support of Infiniti (changing the PU is certainly a breach of contract, as Infiniti is part of Renault-Nissan alliance).

Ok Infiniti is said to be leaving in 2016, but Renault will certainly take back the place on the car they had before the arrival of Infiniti.

A supposed better engine but a lower budget is not the way RB used to win, and they also like to show the finger to their supplier rather than to themselves when they don't win.

What do you mean"if" McLaren go with Honda, the deal was signed last year and they'll be a full works team with Honda putting in money to try and make sure they win.

#44 pdac

pdac

• 17,308 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 19:48

What benefit would it be to Red Bull to have Mercedes engines? At the moment, they get preferential treatment from Renault. If they moved to Mercedes they would be just another customer. Sure they'd get what looks like the better engine right now, but they won't get the help to make it work better in their car than the Mercedes team.

#45 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 20:24

Bit different though wasn't it.

#46 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 20:44

Renault will be there or thereabout soon enough. RBR will stick with them i belive.

#47 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 21:35

Can't see Merc doing that.

Similarly there's no way Ron Dennis will let Red Bull have Honda engines

#48 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 21:42

Can't see Merc doing that.

Similarly there's no way Ron Dennis will let Red Bull have Honda engines

He may not have any say in the matter.

#49 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 21:57

He will

#50 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 22:11

Red Bull Mercedes won't ever happen.

Maybe Red Bull Honda in 2016.

or a Red Bull Porsche.

or A Red Bull Red Bull ( RB buys Cosworth or whatever is needed for an own engine) in 2021

But what do they need a Merc enigne for! Double points will hand the WDC to Vettel. :well:

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 20 March 2014 - 22:12.