- - - - -

Has GP2 reached it's original aims?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LHamilton0810

LHamilton0810

• 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 18:42

With the last two champions of GP2 not getting a seat in Formula 1, especially considering its place as the 'feeder series' to F1, the question of whether or not it has reached it's original aims comes to light. In terms of getting drivers into F1, it has succeed with at least 1 driver coming into F1 from GP2 every season since it began. Along with this, has Formula Renault overtaken GP2 in the ladder as the new feeder series with drivers coming from there into F1 the last 3 seasons who actually finished in the top 2 of the championship - Kevin Magnussen (1st - 2013), Jules Bianchi (2nd - 2012), Jean-Eric Vergne (2nd - 2011)

Advertisement

#2 jee

jee

• 1,285 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 18:55

The three drivers you mention have been highly supported by distinguished F1 teams (McLaren, Ferrari, RedBull). They would habe made theit way to F1 anyway, I just have the feeling that especially RedBulls likes to park their junior drivers (Vettel, Ricciardo, Vergne, ...) in the Renault World Series because it is easier to shine there for rookies.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 19:24

Yes, but then it fell away from them. The initial iteration of GP2 was as good as any spec series has ever been.

The question's really how much of the problem can be attributed to how GP2 is set up (its calendar, its willingness to squeeze competitors for every last penny with spare parts and equipment charges, its perceived emphasis on experience rather than outright ability), and how much is due to things outside of the series's control (drivers' ability to raise funds, lack of realistic alternatives to Dallara).

But certainly the recent history of GP2 looks a bit like the last years of 'competitive' F3000 (1994-96) or even the last years of control F3000 (with Christian Horner's magic dampers).

Edited by Risil, 20 March 2014 - 19:26.

#4 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 19:30

I'd say its even developing into an independent series that has nothing to do with F1.

The commitments of McLaren and Force India to develop a GP2 team do give me hope. But then again, that could last only 1 season like the Lotus-ART link

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 19:59

I'd say its even developing into an independent series that has nothing to do with F1.

Soon its owners may have nothing to do with F1...

Seriously though, when Bernie steps down I think GP2 will have some self-examination to do. Because I'm sure the FIA is going to be pushing its own feeder series project.

#6 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 20:24

The World Series field has had the edge the past couple of years. GP2 is looking pretty hot this year though.

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 20:28

Yes, but then it fell away from them. The initial iteration of GP2 was as good as any spec series has ever been.

The question's really how much of the problem can be attributed to how GP2 is set up (its calendar, its willingness to squeeze competitors for every last penny with spare parts and equipment charges, its perceived emphasis on experience rather than outright ability), and how much is due to things outside of the series's control (drivers' ability to raise funds, lack of realistic alternatives to Dallara).

But certainly the recent history of GP2 looks a bit like the last years of 'competitive' F3000 (1994-96) or even the last years of control F3000 (with Christian Horner's magic dampers).

I'd say GP2 went downhill when they changed from the origional spec car to the current one. Previously there was some very close racing,as soon as the new ones came in it became as processional as F1.

#8 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 20:35

It still fulfills the aim of showcasing upcoming talent for potential F1 drivers, although it's had increasing competition from FR3.5.  However, I don't think that increasing costs or more competitive fields in FR3.5 are the ultimate causes of GP2 failing to move its champions up to F1.  Formula One's needs for rookies has changed; for a rookie to make to to F1 now, they almost always need backing, either by a top F1 team (Vergne or Bianchi, e.g., as the OP mentioned), or funding that they can carry over to a team in F1 (Maldonado, van der Garde).  This isn't exactly new to F1, but I think it may be more pronounced.  GP2 still showcases talent, and most drivers that makes it to F1 from GP2 had some success in that series, but only certain talent has the backing that makes the jump to F1 possible.  

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 20:36

The World Series field has had the edge the past couple of years.

So has GP3!