* * * - - 4 votes

Quick fix to improve F1, noise and really get fans rushing to circuit

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 554 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:00

We are having lots of complaints about the noise , and arguments about the fuel sensors accuracy.

How about for the  six races , starting after China have a temporary removal of the fuel flow sensor, although still keeping the 100kg total fuel limit.

The effects of this would be in qualifying engines could be pushed much harder producing over 800hp.

Noise would be improved as engines would be revved higher and with more power, more noise would result.

As this is a temporary rule change , fans would make an effort to see the cars running un-restricted (possibly the most powerful F1 cars of all time if teams are prepared to risk their engines).

The "green" image of F1 has not changed as the cars will still not use more than 100kg total fuel.

Their would be much tactical play of running efficiently but able to overtake or defend with massive power.

At the end of the six weeks it could be determined how well this approach worked and whether it could be incorporated on a more permanent basis.

Edited by scolbourne, 27 March 2014 - 05:01.

Advertisement

#2 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:30

no

#3 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,134 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:47

The drivers should be required to make a "raspberry noise" with their tongue and lips when driving, that would improve the sound somewhat.

#4 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:58

We believe the raspberry noise is not able to be reliably applied, and as such are making a 'brummmm' noise.

#5 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:00

We are having lots of complaints about the noise , and arguments about the fuel sensors accuracy.

How about for the  six races , starting after China have a temporary removal of the fuel flow sensor, although still keeping the 100kg total fuel limit.

The effects of this would be in qualifying engines could be pushed much harder producing over 800hp.

Noise would be improved as engines would be revved higher and with more power, more noise would result.

As this is a temporary rule change , fans would make an effort to see the cars running un-restricted (possibly the most powerful F1 cars of all time if teams are prepared to risk their engines).

The "green" image of F1 has not changed as the cars will still not use more than 100kg total fuel.

Their would be much tactical play of running efficiently but able to overtake or defend with massive power.

At the end of the six weeks it could be determined how well this approach worked and whether it could be incorporated on a more permanent basis.

As long as Mercedes' PUs dominate the grid, their relative teams have nothing to gain by altering the formula. 

#6 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 554 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:27

Why do  you say "No" teejay ?

For a fix that offers so much with no cost to the teams it seems like a good idea.

I can see some teams may benefit more than others according to the exact design of their engines.

#7 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:35

I think it would be an interesting idea. The only question mark is if the teams would really open up the tabs in qualifying, since it might damage the PU's of which there are only 5 available, and starting position isn't that important anyway. Combined with doubling the number of available PU's for the season, it would be a good thing.

#8 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:43

We believe the raspberry noise is not able to be reliably applied, and as such are making a 'brummmm' noise.

Shame I was rather hoping for a NNNNNNEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW! noise as they passed the start finish.  Followed by a Bubbb babbbbaaabbb bbbbbaaa for the downshifts.

#9 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,773 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:43

The engines/trans are not designed to cope with that much torque from an unrestricted engine. Would be too costly.

#10 KTownDevil

KTownDevil

• 483 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:53

Much better quick fix

#11 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:50

Much better quick fix

https://www.youtube....h?v=FmNolu_ZUpk

Haha I think a Tin can would work better. That could make a good condom for the front though. Derp

#12 4ren

4ren

• 166 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:54

The guy at the end is Kubica!

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:59

Why do  you say "No" teejay ?

For a fix that offers so much with no cost to the teams it seems like a good idea.

I can see some teams may benefit more than others according to the exact design of their engines.

But it does come at a cost. The PU and everything associated is designed around a certain power level and would need to be beefed up to run in an unlimited mode. I don't like the FFL but dumping it is not the answer to the noise issue. Even if it were dumped, that alone would not get people rushing to the race track. There is much more obvious answer to that one.

#14 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:02

Much better quick fix

Another one

:up:

#15 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:56

The only reliable way to get more people trackside (at those races that arent full) is to slash the the prices by 50% and more promotion (somebody should bring up this notion of promoting the sport to FOM, it seems completely foreign to them at the moment).

#16 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:26

The only reliable way to get more people trackside (at those races that arent full) is to slash the the prices by 50% and more promotion (somebody should bring up this notion of promoting the sport to FOM, it seems completely foreign to them at the moment).

Nonsense. Make all the cars sound like V24 mega noisy monsters and people will be selling their first born outside the gates in order to pay Bernie even more money to stuff in his mattress. And don't tell me we saw umpteen acres of empty grandstands during the V10 and V8 eras of F1 as that's just a filthy lie.

#17 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 554 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:58

I was at the Melbourne race and to me the noise was not a majorissue. I just saw it as moving with the times. For someone who had never heard a V10 or V12 race before it would have been a dissapointment hearing stories of how they used to sound.

I am against having such a tight limit on the number of available PU and could see this being raised at least for this season while everything is still being developed.

Removing the fuel flow rule does not require/or allow the teams  to change the rest of their car. It means they have to race accordingly. Some will push to far and not finish but to the fans there will be much more variety and excitement out on the track.

#18 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:22

I am so going to prank people with that bike tube trick. Can you imagine if you didn't know what was going on.  :lol:

#19 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:50

I hope people don't go too overboard on complaining about the new sound.  Knowing the FIA and Bernie, they'll cut down on the number of complaints by running ALL the races next year at desert circuits with no spectators and change the broadcasting to SKY with a £10,000 monthly charge.  "Hooray no more complaints, well done everybody, right now let's go have lunch with CVC."

Advertisement

#20 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:29

it would be far easier and safer to just have naked pit girls  :stoned:

and boys for equality purposes

Edited by kraduk, 28 March 2014 - 11:30.

#21 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,294 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:01

Are there really that many complaints about the noise or is it selected drivers who have dominated the sport for the last four years who have now lost their advantage and a few whingeing journalists?

Did people leave the race before the end complaining about the noise of the car or did they show how disgruntled they were? I didst notice any on the Sky TV coverage so would welcome some feedback. As someone stated above if they wanted to fill the track with fans they should reduce the cost, I would also chuck in only visit tracks where fans want to attend rather than some despot trying to improve his countries image and show all races on terrestrial TV.

#22 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 15:25

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=o3g2NUoXGKc

Sorry, couldn't find the media.png to insert video...

Edited by RealRacing, 28 March 2014 - 15:34.

#23 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 17:12

The engines/trans are not designed to cope with that much torque from an unrestricted engine. Would be too costly.

Too costly if a team didn't manage it properly.  "Too costly" is relative in F1, they could have saved a lot of money and kept the V8s.

#24 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 17:19

No solution can be a solution if the sound does not match what the driver is doing with the throttle and gears.

I don't just want it more impressive, I want to hear the throttle not blended out with the ERS, I want to hear downshifts, I want to hear engine braking not blended with harvesting.  Otherwise, yeah, they may as well be quiet.  

I sure don't want a fake fix that doesn't represent the elements that the driver is "supposed" to be controlling.

#25 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 17:22

Take the turbo assembly off, take away the fuel flow restriction so they'll have a reason to rev to the redline.  Yes, they may blow up an engine!

#26 krod

krod

• 122 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 21:38

Job done!

MIW043.jpg

#27 rallye3

rallye3

• 72 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 21:46

Make the drivers eat nothing but baked beans for one week before the race. That should do it.

#28 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 22:24

Op, I think you have misunderstood the reason the new engines are quiet.

Revving the new engines to 15k or above still won't make them loud.

#29 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 22:37

Use 2013 cars, 2014 cars are offending the public that pay there hard earned cash and me.

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 22:39

How about telling people complaining about the lack of noise to sit closer to the television speaker?

#31 krod

krod

• 122 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 22:44

Use 2013 cars, 2014 cars are offending the public that pay there hard earned cash and me.

Sorry to hear that. How about I Paypal you a fiver in the meantime?