FIA World Endurance Championship 2014 Thread

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:04

No fancy OP this time. Testing at Ricard has just started, no live timing available but there should be frequent tweets from everyone at the track.

All the races (apart from Le Mans) should be available to watch live on the official website with Radio Le Mans commentary, Le Mans itself has different broadcast deals and will have a different discussion thread.

Alright, 2 days in which we'll see Audi vs Porsche vs Toyota for the first time together on track. BRING IT ON.  :up:

Advertisement

#2 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 2,014 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:11

Go Porsche :D

And Aston Martin, love the look of those cars.

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:12

Radio Le Mans will have highlights packages from each testing day at 8pm UK time today and tomorrow.

And to dispel any doubts as to who I'm backing in LMP1... I'm wearing a Toyota Motorsport official T-shirt at work today.  :smoking:

#4 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:48

Double-post, but what the heck, Porsche starting to show their hand already and down in the 1:42s already. For comparison, the fastest LMP1 times in quali/race conditions around Ricard (in 2010, last year of the big-engined LMP1s and the fastest LMP1s at Le Mans ever in race conditions) were in the low 1:41 bracket. If the reported pace difference from the Sebring tests is maintained, then Audi should do 1:41s pretty much out of the box.  :eek:

#5 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:58

woo hoo!

#6 Peat

Peat

• 8,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:15

I wouldn't be reading too much into the times just yet. It seems that they all like to play silly-buggers all the way up to final qualifying at Le Mans.

#7 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:17

Yeah, but getting close to 2010 laptimes is no joking matter, a clear race at Le Mans might mean a new distance record at this pace.

#8 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:58

Forgive me for a slight moan; the ACO have titled this as The Prologue - yet there is very little live timing, info - until tonight. Any reason? 

#9 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:00

I guess the infrastructure for actually broadcasting stuff from the track isn't set up.

#10 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:48

Interesting if this comes to fruition: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/113136

The 'Road to Le Mans' makes a lot of sense.

#11 Peat

Peat

• 8,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:58

BjzvKAbIcAA8GfH.jpg

#12 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,140 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:30

Interesting if this comes to fruition: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/113136

The 'Road to Le Mans' makes a lot of sense.

I think it would be a mistake. I understand the thinking, the WRC even thought about doing it, then quietly dropped it.

They need to start actually promoting the WEC properly, that's basically the problem. Running it in summer/ winter won't suddenly bring loads more coverage, because it's not clashing with F1.
Start the season earlier, have 3/4 races before Le Mans, and no big gap afterwards. At the moment, the WEC is Le Mans, and some other races.... Sportscar racing is more than just that 1 race in June - and actually it isn't healthy for the sport to be like that.

#13 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:12

I tend to agree with ArnageWRC, but by the same token they have to do something.  I love sportscars, but I don't even know and can barely be bothered looking up their calendar for this year.  I remember a few years back when it was like a race every 2 or 3 months for a grand total of about 4 events.

However, it does at least seem that there's some increased interest now we have 3 serious P1 manufacturers playing.  Let's hope they can leverage that better than they have.

Neil

#14 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 15:26

Fastest Porsche now down in the 1:41s... we're going to see some wickedly-quick LMP1s this year.  :clap:

#15 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 640 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 15:52

James Calado just confirmed on Twitter he's driving for AF Corse this season...  :clap:

#16 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 16:04

I think it would be a mistake. I understand the thinking, the WRC even thought about doing it, then quietly dropped it.

They need to start actually promoting the WEC properly, that's basically the problem. Running it in summer/ winter won't suddenly bring loads more coverage, because it's not clashing with F1.
Start the season earlier, have 3/4 races before Le Mans, and no big gap afterwards. At the moment, the WEC is Le Mans, and some other races.... Sportscar racing is more than just that 1 race in June - and actually it isn't healthy for the sport to be like that.

And a small thing, which is really p*sssing me off. Go on the Silverstone website, F1 F1 F1 F1!!!!!! You'd think that's all the host during the year. And they're not running any public transport for the WEC as far as I can see besides one bus from London, and my emails to Silverstone asking about public transport appear to have been ignored. This is the difference between me going and not going.

Edited by king_crud, 28 March 2014 - 16:05.

#17 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 16:31

James Calado just confirmed on Twitter he's driving for AF Corse this season...  :clap:

And judging by his quote, if he does well, it's not going to be a Kobayashi-one-year-and-done deal, it's going to be a full sportscar career.

EDIT:

Graham Goodwin ‏@dsceditor  13s

ACO say if new in-car marshalling & 'slow zone' system been in place at '13 @24hoursoflemans we'd have had 3-4 hrs less under Safety Car

Quite telling. If they can apply this system properly, I suspect we'll be seeing it more in other series too.

#18 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 19:25

At the moment, the WEC is Le Mans, and some other races.... Sportscar racing is more than just that 1 race in June - and actually it isn't healthy for the sport to be like that.

Once, open wheel racing in the US was Indy and some other races.  Over the years they have devalued Indy and now the situation is just some races.  We don't want to see that happen to Le Mans, which remains the motorsport event of the year.  F1 has devalued its keynote events as well by having too many races.

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 19:41

It wasn't schedule inflation that devalued Indy. 

Advertisement

#20 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 19:46

A change of schedule would definitely help WEC. At the moment it feels like the 'real' season is only Silverstone, Spa, then Le Mans, before we fall into the time vortex that is the break between Le Mans and COTA. The top teams use Silverstone and Spa as Le Mans prep and as such they take those races pretty seriously, but afterwards it just loses it's momentum.

#21 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 19:55

Porsche look like they've done a good job. I'd expect that though. Will be good to have somone else challenging the Audis this year.

#22 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 19:57

Radio Le Mans will have highlights packages from each testing day at 8pm UK time today and tomorrow.

And to dispel any doubts as to who I'm backing in LMP1... I'm wearing a Toyota Motorsport official T-shirt at work today.  :smoking:

I'm glad someone else is a Toyota fan too! Not many around it seems.

#23 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 20:36

Nope. Its seemingly uncool to like Toyota. But those in the real world who speak with their pockets choose Toyota more than any other brand. 328.3kmh from them, tied with the second place porsche in terms of top speed in the afternoon.

#24 totgate

totgate

• 199 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 20:38

This new generation of LMP cars looks absolutely fantastic. Real race cars.. :-)

#25 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:22

BjzvKAbIcAA8GfH.jpg

Like that "TOY" and "LOL"  :D

"POR" isn't too bad either.

#26 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:48

Nope. Its seemingly uncool to like Toyota. But those in the real world who speak with their pockets choose Toyota more than any other brand. 328.3kmh from them, tied with the second place porsche in terms of top speed in the afternoon.

My Dad's been a Toyota guy for about 10 years now... nearly convinced him to buy the GT86 last year but he went too sensible and bought the latest Avensis (he does a lot of long-distance driving, and perhaps a 2.0l boxer wouldn't have been the best for fuel economy!). Nice car though.

Toyota just seem to have that underdog tag in WEC, and I always warm to that, especially seeing how well they've done with this project after the spendfest that was the F1 effort.

#27 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:49

Just a question Victor_RO? Is this going to be the main thread for all the races too (except Le Mans) or is it worth having separate ones for Silverstone, Spa etc.?

#28 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:00

My Dad's been a Toyota guy for about 10 years now... nearly convinced him to buy the GT86 last year but he went too sensible and bought the latest Avensis (he does a lot of long-distance driving, and perhaps a 2.0l boxer wouldn't have been the best for fuel economy!). Nice car though.

Toyota just seem to have that underdog tag in WEC, and I always warm to that, especially seeing how well they've done with this project after the spendfest that was the F1 effort.

Part of that huge spending was making tmg what it is today. And wasting huge money on drivers like Ralf and Trulli. They didnt do the Red Bull way and purchase an existing team either, but did like Ferrari and built it up from scratch. Itll pay off, if it hasn't already.

#29 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:51

Nope. Its seemingly uncool to like Toyota. But those in the real world who speak with their pockets choose Toyota more than any other brand.

Sell me a Porsche for the price of a Corolla and well see if that still holds true

#30 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:58

Sell me a Porsche for the price of a Corolla and well see if that still holds true

Not quite Corolla price, but certainly cheaper than the Boxster.

Large%20Image%20(optional).jpg?p=130520_

#31 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:04

A change of schedule would definitely help WEC. At the moment it feels like the 'real' season is only Silverstone, Spa, then Le Mans, before we fall into the time vortex that is the break between Le Mans and COTA. The top teams use Silverstone and Spa as Le Mans prep and as such they take those races pretty seriously, but afterwards it just loses it's momentum.

Doesn't help that half the events are held at useless Tilkedroms like Fuji, Cota and Bahrain. Overall, WEC has been terribly run, as one can expect from FIA. 

ALMS was a thousand times better than WEC when it had Porsche and Audi competing, shame they quit. 

Edited by KingTiger, 29 March 2014 - 07:08.

#32 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:43

Just a question Victor_RO? Is this going to be the main thread for all the races too (except Le Mans) or is it worth having separate ones for Silverstone, Spa etc.?

Depends on how much discussion we have over here for the Prologue days, but at this rate it's probably better to have this as the main thread for all the races except Le Mans.

#33 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:55

Depends on how much discussion we have over here for the Prologue days, but at this rate it's probably better to have this as the main thread for all the races except Le Mans.

Maybe if you have separate ones it will get more people into the discussions? :)

I've only really been following the WEC for the past year and a half (since Le Mans 2012 when I just happened to watch and loved it) Audi seemed too good so I found myself cheering on Toyota.

Edited by Exb, 29 March 2014 - 07:56.

#34 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:00

Maybe if you have separate ones it will get more people into the discussions? :)

I've only really been following the WEC for the past year and a half (since Le Mans 2012 when I just happened to watch and loved it) Audi seemed too good so I found myself cheering on Toyota.

That's what happened with me too. I followed Peugeot before but when they left I went over to Toyota, as I loved the TS020 back in 98/99.

#35 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 16:57

So Brendon Hartley's lap time from last night stays as the fastest time set during the test. 1:41.289, a tenth off the Oreca Peugeot 908 pole in 2010 with 3.5 liters less engine.  :eek: If the race at Le Mans stays dry, with the new yellow flag rules... I can't see them NOT breaking the 400-lap barrier.

#36 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 17:22

According to Graham Goodwin on RLM last night the series are considering switching the calendar around the year. So that it starts in September or October and finishes at Le Mans in June.

That would be quite good at first glance to be honest. Something to watch once a month during the winter, and with Le Mans being double points we will likely not have a champion before the great 24 also :)

#37 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,422 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 23:10

I caught most of last season after the fact, but did enjoy it. Yes, Shanghai, COTA and Bahrain aren't as nice as doing some other locations, but they do need to hit all the markets the manufacturers desire.

I don't agree with the notion that LeMans should be prioritized over all else, but such is their influence that it's the ACO's way or the highway. At least they seem to be getting smarter than they were last decade.

The LMP1 battle will be great fun to watch, although I wouldn't say no to a few more manufacturers joining the fight. Still, the fight will be fun. It's just a pity the bulbous fenders make the TS040 something less gorgeous than last year's car. Curse you, laws of physics.

Edited by juicy sushi, 29 March 2014 - 23:11.

#38 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,422 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 23:14

I've had too much Chianti to edit the last post properly, so I'll just conclude with saying that it's a lot more fun than the DRS, tire issues and whining of F1. 2014 could produce the best sports car year since 917 vs 512. We need to savour this.

#39 W154

W154

• 345 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 00:52

According to Graham Goodwin on RLM last night the series are considering switching the calendar around the year. So that it starts in September or October and finishes at Le Mans in June.

That would be quite good at first glance to be honest. Something to watch once a month during the winter, and with Le Mans being double points we will likely not have a champion before the great 24 also :)

A September to June season would enable the Bathurst 12 Hour race to be upgraded to WEC status and included in the calendar. Would truly be a "great race" then especially with the Oz connection in Webber.

Advertisement

#40 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,422 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:25

It would be great for the GT entries, but I can't see them letting the LMPs loose on the Mountain. It would be awesome, but I suspect the only way to make it happen is via the Playstation.

Edited by juicy sushi, 30 March 2014 - 01:26.

#41 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:21

Giggity :)

I know the tracks are rated but that's about it, what do LMP1's require (is it the same as F1?) and where would Bathurst fall in that.

#42 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:40

think they need a step down from top grade* i think, safety wise

*monaco isnt top grade really, probably some others too

#43 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:50

Giggity :)

I know the tracks are rated but that's about it, what do LMP1's require (is it the same as F1?) and where would Bathurst fall in that.

LMP1s can race on FIA Grade 2 tracks (last I heard, places like Sebring and Road America are Grade 2, Le Mans itself is Grade 2 too). Not sure whether Bathurst is Grade 2 or not.

#44 W154

W154

• 345 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:29

I am sure if Bathurst 12 Hour was given a gig in WEC, the "powers that be " would ensure it was upgraded to the appropriate standard. Bathurst City Council has spent a lot of money on the circuit in recent years, basically all their own money, no State/Federal money. The only problem with "upgrades" is that the character of the circuit is sometimes lost.

Edited by W154, 31 March 2014 - 01:29.

#45 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:36

Woohoo WEC :clap:
Watched my first Le Mans last year and I've decided to make the pilgrimage this! May 'warm up' at Silverstone, who knows! I am also a Toyota fan, always liked ole Ant Davidson

#46 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:48

Porsche claim they made qualifying runs during the test. Dont have the source currently but Toyota and Audi probably have a lot left to show. Buemi says Toyota didnt show their full potential, but cant judge the order without knowledge of the other teams.

Edited by TF110, 31 March 2014 - 01:49.

#47 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,422 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:17

We just won't know how fast anyone *really* is until Silverstone. I think Audi probably still has the edge in race trim. Porsche are probably furthest behind, especially if the rumoured personnel problems are true.

#48 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:39

I've had too much Chianti to edit the last post properly, so I'll just conclude with saying that it's a lot more fun than the DRS, tire issues and whining of F1. 2014 could produce the best sports car year since 917 vs 512. We need to savour this.

Erm lol. I can't see how this can ever match the late 80s - early 90s when we had GTP and Group C. 

#49 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,422 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:13

Yeah, as I said, the chianti was talking. Group C's peak was immense. But three manufacturers all fighting for the win with technology on par with F1's is really damn impressive.

#50 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 640 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:09

Another Toyota fan here....even though my OH works for Audi!  :drunk: