* - - - - 1 votes

DTM Experience (Raceroom DLC)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 17:07

Just noticed that there is an official DTM game this year while browsing the DTM website. But it looks like it's actually a DLC for Raceroom and I read some ver harsh reviews for Raceroom which includes lack of multiplayer. The DLC is also available on the steam store.

This is when it becomes odd, the DTM website also offers a "season pass" (for more money of course) that promisses 2014 content (the "game" covers the 2013 season only) that includes "multiplayer". The steam store page makes no mention of 2014 content.

Anyone has tried raceroom? And yes, im still due to dip my money into Assetto Corsa, but im still on the fence on that one as well.

Advertisement

#2 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:25

no pit stops, no multiplayer yet, raceroom and DTM are not ready at all. Race room also doesn't have the option to insert your own skins, instead you have to buy them  :drunk: 

From the guys who made raco07 this is a poor effort. But there are signs they will start to improve so keep you hopes up. Multiplayer for DTM will be in the 2014 version, not this one.

(and don't get me started on the menu structure, designed by Satan himself  :p  )

#3 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 15:42

Reviving this topic....

This christmas holiday i bought the RaceRoom Experience DTM 1992 pack (and the BMW M1 car). Now, i did not have any previous experience with "Raceroom",  but the allure of early 90s DTM made me take the jump. I also got the european track pack they offered at a discount, to get some tracks to race the DTM cars around. d

First impressions where pretty good. The gfx is ok (i prefer the simple style of gfx that Iracing has, but it works pretty good). It was pretty easy to set up and get going with my g27 wheel and it also supported my TrackIR so i could look around inside the car while driving. 

The sound is pretty good, better than many other racing games/sims out there, although i have never heard the '92 DTM cars live, it does sound good when driving.

The important bit is the physics and handling characteristics of the cars, and i do like what i experience. The cars are a bit loose, but controllable if you do not get too enthusiastic with the inputs :) One thing i really like is that if you drive a track with crests and hills, you can really feel the car go light over the crests and top of hills (very easy to spin up the rear wheels). It might not be the final word in physics, but i do like the feel it gives when you drive the cars (not sure how the modern DTM packs are though). Also, there seem to be some damage simulation, as you could end up with a gearbox full of neutral if you are not carefull when downshifting (using h-pattern and clutch on my g27, trying to do some heel'n'toe on the downshifts might be doing more damage then good :p ).  The AI seems a bit prone to rubbing fenders, but i imagine that is realistic... ;)

The only thing it lacks is the nordschleife :/ 

Oh, and i tried it with a mates Oculus Rift dk2, and the support is still in "beta" as far as i could find, and it did crash/freeze regular, but the feeling of looking out the left side window after a slow exit seeing a merc 190 going past was pretty cool. Also, the feel of the cockpit with the steering wheel, mirrors, dials and roll cage in 3d is very nice indeed compared to the "2d" picture you get on you're monitor :)

Official DTM 1992 teaser

The reason i bought it :) :

#4 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:13

#5 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 20:40

Would you want to experience the DTM from 2014 - where tyre picks decided an entire race? Does the game also correctly model the in-marque politics?

2012 or 2013 were rather more exciting from the contemporary years.

#6 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 23:56

Macau has been released, and with the DTM 1992 cars, it is a hoot to drive... narrow and unforgiving, but it gives a good impression of speed.

I've only done a few laps, and i tried to do a capture for the first time, so never mind the untidy driving, or the bad quality video (down sized and compressed the video to get a small upload, as i am on a very slow ads line) :

Edited by mahelgel, 20 June 2015 - 23:57.

#7 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 23:12

Race Room Racing Experience might av great sounds, but i think there is a bug with the in-car replay and the interior/suspension squeaks and rattles... It does not sound as loud when i drive, only happens in replays...

...or perhaps the Opel just rattles that much :p

Edited by mahelgel, 09 July 2015 - 23:12.

#8 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 19:57

Still driving RaceRoom Racing Experience (although not much, as spare time for simracing is hard to find) and enjoy the DTM92 cars still. Also, since i started with Raceroom there has been quite a few upgrades and updates to the game, only making it better along the way.

Did a few laps around Spa today, with the Mercedes 190Evo (1992 dtm mod), and even though its not a clean lap by any means it was a blast to drive :)

#9 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:05

Raceroom just released the NSU Prinz TTS, so i had to take it for a spinn around Zandvoort :) These are the 2 first laps i drove with the car, and it was rather fun :up:

#10 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 22:13

My youtube hijack of this thread continues...

A 15min race around Zandvoort with the NSU. The A.I. was set at 100. I had a good start, but halfway through the lap, i managed to brake while having one of the rear wheels on the grass, sending me into a spin. That lead me to race through the field from dead last. Lots of small mistakes, and i overdrove the car in my frustration of messing up the first lap :)

#11 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 19:55

Nurburgring is finally out for RaceRoomRacingExperience. Ive managed to download it, but the servers are pretty busy atm, så i have not gotten to drive it properly yet. I will probably be able to tell more over the weekend :)

#12 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 22:40

I got to drive a few laps today, and the Nordscleife did not dissapoint :) Not sure if it is down to the physics engine, or the track itself, but i felt some of the curbs where more usable than in Iracing and Assetto Corsa. It might also be that the Mercedes 190 Evo DTM car from 1992 has softer suspension than more modern cars. Recorded my first timed lap, far from clean, but atleast it gives an impression of the track :

#13 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:55

Raceroom has just released its "GTO" pack, and as usual i fell for the lure of some "old" race cars...

Tried the Nissan 300zx, Ford Mustang Imsa GTO and the Audi 90 quattro.

Tried the Nissan and the Mustang around spa, and they where pretty raw, but had quite different handling. Prefered the Mustang though. Somewhat they feel like a cross between the '92 DTM pack and the Group 5 pack. Lots of power, and more grip than the Group5 but they still bite you if you are not carefull. If you are new to Raceroom, i would suggest starting with the DTM '92 pack, but if you are a raceroom veteran, the GTO pack is worth the price (atleast now at the introduction offer).

As allways, i made a video :p

#14 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 20:05

Was set to run a race at Nurburgring, but ended up "doing a Kvyat" pushing of a red car, although, i managed a few more corners be fore my brain fade :)

#15 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 00:34

Tried the F4 car for Raceroom earlier today, and after a few practice laps to get the feel for the car i did a 15min race against the A.I. 

It was good fun, with me chasing the leaders trying to get to the front. Lots of close racing, and even though i had a few mishaps along the way i got up to second with the leader just in front when the checkered flag dropped...

#16 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:00

Did a 10min race at the Hungaroring with my favourite class, the DTM '92. I jumped in to the BMW m3 and started from the back. Its been a long time since i drove the Hungaroring last, so i was a bit rusty, and that really shows. First half of the race i do lots of small mistakes, but also lots of fighting for positions and lots of fun... 

#17 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:53

RaceRoom can be fun in Multiplayer too, here is my onboard from one of our league races  :p

#18 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 00:08

Did a 10min race at Hockenheim, only for it all to fall apart on the last few corners.... i ran out of talent i guess :p

#19 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 13:13

I haven't been doing any simracing (or any other gaming for that matter) the last 6-7 weeks due to various matters. So, to gentle get familiar again with the wheel and pedals, i fired up the DTM 1992 DLC in raceroom... Did some hotlapping at Portimao (nice track!) ending up with a 6th best on the leaderboard challenge (not that many registered laps, so not that impressive)...

Advertisement

#20 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 17:25

Nice track indeed - the elevation changes make for quite a few tricky corners! :up:

#21 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:38

Nice track indeed - the elevation changes make for quite a few tricky corners! :up:

Yeah, and i think RaceRoom is good at conveying the "shift in weight" in the cars, making the undulations in the track quite tricky as you say :)

#22 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:05

We have just had a funrace at Mid-Ohio with the DTM '92 and TC Classic categories, the different characteristics of the cars makes it really fun, it's a shame I overcooked it a bit near the end  :p

#23 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 20:26

So.. they had a big update last week (i think it was), and today they released the KTM X-bow.

Tried the KTM a few laps at Zandvoort... a bit edgy i felt, but was quite fun :)

#24 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:40

Silverstone and initial OpenVR support finally arrived

By the way, I think 'RaceRoom Racing Experience' would be a more suitable thread name.

#25 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 21:27

Raceroom released an "indycar" DLC, so i had to try it...

Just drove a few laps to try to get a feel for the car, and recorded it with shadowplay as usual :)

Edited by mahelgel, 28 February 2017 - 21:28.

#26 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 20:27

Raceroom released Karlskoga earlier, and i just had to try it...

Its a bit small and twisty, but there are a few corners that gives a nice and fun rhythm to the driving, like turn 1-2-3. Recorded the first "session" at the track, driving a BMW M3 gr.a car :

#27 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 19:52

Today they released Mantorp, another swedish race track. Feels a bit more "wide and open" than Karlskoga, but still feels like a small track (and it is, nothing bad with that). As usual i started shadowplay during my first session on track :)

#28 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 20:21

Lately Raceroom has released 2 more swedish tracks, Falkenberg and Anderstrop Raceway. I had some spare time after the motogp race today, so i couldn't resist trying them out.

Anderstorp i think i last raced in GT Legends, so even if i knew the basic layout, it was very easy to brake too soon or too late. In the Anderstorp video i had some fighting with the AI to make it a bit more interesting :) 

Falkenberg i previously raced in GPL as a add-on track made by the community. That too is a bit too long ago to really know the track, but yet again i knew the basic layout of the track. Falkenberg has some nice elevation changes at the start of the lap where you can easily make a mistake if you are to eager on the throttle. 

Anderstorp Raceway :

Falkenberg :

#29 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 16:30

Tomorrow they will finally unleash the beast  :clap:

#30 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 18:22

Tomorrow they will finally unleash the beast  :clap:

And being a sucker for new content, i really had to try the new "f1 car"  they released..... the FR-X17. 

Ran the default setup, only increased the steering lock a bit. Seems very stiff, as it skips and hops along the bumps in the track. Not the usual kind of car i try to race in racingsims, as i prefer cars more along the DTM '92 cars, but being an F1 fan i had to try it out :) It feels very fast (as it should), and since my previous raceroom laps where done with a BMW e30 dtm car, my brain couldn't really phantom how qick the car was :)

Anyway, recorded as usual :

#31 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 19:10

And being a sucker for new content, i really had to try the new "f1 car"  they released.....

Same here, this car is amazing. :cool: An onboard lap in Silverstone:

The cornering speeds in this thing are unbelievable. :drunk:

#32 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 21:53

The Knutstorp Ring is the latest addition to the sim:

I think the last sector might be designed by the devil himself, but the track is perfect for slower touring and formula cars  :p

#33 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 22:29

Finally got to try Ring Knutstorp... summer vacation does not mean more time for simracing unfortunately clear.png

Tried the track with both the BMW 635, and the Ford Mustang DTM cars. The last section on the track would probably be good fun in a Oculus rift setup. The track is a bit tight, but for hotlapping it can be quite a bit of fun :)

as always, shadowplay was running :

#34 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 19:14

A bit late to the party yet again, but i finaly got to try the BMW M235i, so i took it around Sachenring... It felt a bit heavier than i would have thought it would, but then again i drive the DMT'92 M3 quite often, and that feels very light and nimble... 

Recorded the first few laps with shadowplay (as i usually do) :

#35 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 18:24

Imola! 

Of course i had to try out Imola in Raceroom. As allways i had shadowplay running the first few laps to record my first impressions. Also, i just got a Thrustmaster TC-PC wheel so i forgot to remove the force feedback meter that i have used to fine tune the FF strength and settings (feels quite a bit better than my logitech g27 it replaces "for sure" )

#36 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 18:23

The Knutstorp Ring is the latest addition to the sim:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBEcV4PbRBw"

I think the last sector might be designed by the devil himself, but the track is perfect for slower touring and formula cars  :p

I installed the game for the first time just to try Knutstorp as it is the only track I have lapped at in real lite and it was great fun to have a go. Feels much smaller and shorter in the game. Then again I was on a road bike trying my best to drive with large margins whereas I drove a BMW E30 touring car in the game with no fear for my wallet or health... 

#37 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:11

I installed the game for the first time just to try Knutstorp as it is the only track I have lapped at in real lite and it was great fun to have a go. Feels much smaller and shorter in the game. Then again I was on a road bike trying my best to drive with large margins whereas I drove a BMW E30 touring car in the game with no fear for my wallet or health... 

I think it's down to the sense of speed (or more precisely, the lack of it) in racing simulators, I had a similar sensation at the Hungaroring, in real life, everything looks much longer/bigger than what you expect based on your sim racing experience.

Edited by balage06, 05 October 2017 - 11:12.

#38 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:09

The 2018 FIA WTCR pack has just got released for RaceRoom:

Store link

#39 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 725 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:01

Are there others playing RaceRoom? I spend most of my playing time racing GT3 cars in multiplayer.

Advertisement

#40 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 13:48

I'm about to hit the 600 hour mark with it according to Steam. :D  Unfortunately the public multiplayer part is a bit quiet, I'd recommend joining a sim racing community or Sim Racing System.

#41 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 16:58

https://youtu.be/ddtN2amAOe8

just discovered this gem, remember vrps are the way to go and you can save about 30% on content

Edited by Prometheus, 21 June 2019 - 16:59.

#42 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 15:35

50% sale on cars and tracks ATM and 25% off on packs

#43 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 18:22

https://youtu.be/mCb5NAxzves

#44 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 23:37

All RaceRoom content are currently free to access and use. At least for the next 5 days (could be longer).

#45 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 23:41

I got Raceroom this week and am very surprised at how good and fun it is. It's in that nice sweet spot of just about challenging enough without being too hard to actually race over a long stint, consistently. The recently updated FFB feels very good, maybe second best only to rFactor 2 at the moment? Been having some lovely countersteering moments.

Unfortunately I bought it for the online ranked racing... And the servers kick me out for high ping. After a little search online apparently this could be because I'm connected through WiFi - some very momentary lag spikes could just push it past the threshold, and this is a common problem with this game although I generally do just fine in other games. So now I'm considering buying a ridiculous 20 meter Ethernet cable to go around the flat just so I could play this thing. 😅

Edited by noikeee, 16 July 2021 - 23:42.

#46 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:52

Yes, unfortunately Wi-Fi connection and RaceRoom are not very good friends. We strongly recommend Ethernet cables for our drivers, because someone with wireless connection can sometimes cause anomalies even for others on the server. :(

Edited by balage06, 17 July 2021 - 09:24.

#47 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 00:41

One of my classic action videos, pretty damn fun random ranked race tonight.

Edited by noikeee, 09 January 2022 - 00:42.