* * * - - 2 votes

Felipe, Valtteri is faster than you

• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

#1 scandyman

scandyman

• 180 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:48

Why did they want to do that ? because Button was possible to overtake or Massa is number 2?

Advertisement

#2 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:52

absolute disgrace and needless to do that for Williams considering the petty situation when your fighting for scraps and bottas was not even close enough, especially considering massa's history.

#3 krobinson

krobinson

• 610 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:53

Why did they want to do that ? because Button was possible to overtake or Massa is number 2?

Because Button was possible to overtake.

Williams made the right decision, but I guess it was too humiliating for Massa to accept. Both parties will be very pissed off.

#4 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Most propably they thought that Bottas could overtake Button... Also Bottas was told to back off in the first part of the race...

#5 LB

LB

• 13,578 posts

Bottas was on fresher tyres and had a chance of getting Button

#6 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:55

I think I heard them tell Bottas not to attack Massa at the beginning of the race. A stupid move in hindsight.

#7 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:56

Bottas was faster all the way today. The only reason Massa was in front was that he stoped earlier. After the stop Massa was faster until Bittas stopped whereas Bottas closed the gap until the next stop. 

Williams should have put Bottas in front much earlier but i guess it was fair to Massa to let him take advantage of track position.

#8 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:57

Williams screwed Bottas over at the first stint by telling him to back off, and then keeping him out way too long. His tyres were completely worn out while they pitted Massa first... And Bottas was clearly faster in the first stint anyway.. Bottas would've definitely finished infront of the Button if in the first stint if Bottas hadn't been told to not attack Massa.

Btw Massa is a total hypocrite, crying to team to keep Bottas off him then he himself ignoring team when they asked him to slow down.. What an asshat.

Edited by darkkis, 30 March 2014 - 09:58.

#9 thechin

thechin

• 589 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:58

Bottas got team orders earlier because of Massa whining. He would have had chance to get button but Massa is more concerned with himself and doesn't care about the team. He has only ever been a team player with Schumi, with Alonso he was a sh•t and seems determined to continue that at Williams.

An embarrassment. 

#10 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Because Button was possible to overtake.

Williams made the right decision, but I guess it was too humiliating for Massa to accept. Both parties will be very pissed off.

well, it was a risk, not enough laps, not enough difference on the tyres to Button... Bottas couldn't overtake Massa, and wouldn't overtake Button, nothing lost..

I think they managed poorly, and the choice of words was uninspired to say the least

oh yes, and I think telling Bottas to hold on earlier on the race was also a bad choice.

Edited by SPBHM, 30 March 2014 - 09:59.

#11 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Not fair from Williams, not fair at all! They´ve used exactly the same "famous" words like Ferrari did few years ago........damn...I feel sorry for the man :/

#12 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,454 posts

Entirely avoidable drama. Williams ought to know they have hired damaged goods; if they really expected the team orders to work, they wouldn't have used the exact phrasing that is at the source of the damage itself. Let's hope it was just cooked up for the television.

#13 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Massa being the total utter classless crybaby that he always has been

EDD STRAW: "Makes sense for Williams to order Massa to let Bottas through. He had ample opportunity to pass Button this race and Bottas was ordered to stay behind, now Bottas gets to have a chance to attack the McLaren.

"It's easy to complain, but Massa had team orders on his side earlier in the race and asked the team to call off Bottas's attack, so you he can't have it both ways."

Straw sums it up perfectly.

#14 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:59

The engineer who said that has to be fired.

#15 meister

meister

• 183 posts

I think I heard them tell Bottas not to attack Massa at the beginning of the race. A stupid move in hindsight.

No, a smart move as Massa was fighting to overtake a Mclaren, and it was just too risky. So what if bottas was slightly faster at the end? They are supposed to be racing, and he was not exactly close to Massa.

#16 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

:rotfl:

This made my day.

Guess Massa was thinking: "Screw it. I am not playing that game any more. Sack me if you want but I aint number 2 driver any more!"

#17 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

:lol:  Engineer having a laff by phrasing it that way.

Perfect response by Massa  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

#18 Molo19

Molo19

• 195 posts

bottas was several tenths per lap faster than massa througout the race. not an unjustified call there, especially since bottas accepted the order not to attack massa in the first stint.

#19 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

well, it was a risk, not enough laps, not enough difference on the tyres to Button... Bottas couldn't overtake Massa, and wouldn't overtake Button, nothing lost..

I think they managed poorly, and the choice of words was uninspired to say the least

Who knows? Why not try? In the end Bottas was not allowed to overtake Massa anyway.

Advertisement

#20 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:00

Lots of angry Finns. But we're talking about 2 points of a possible 500, in the 2nd race of 19.

Williams shouldn't have deployed them in the first stint either IMO.

Can't complain though! They are legal.

#21 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

They thought Bottas could overtake Button. Which with 5 laps to go, was pretty reasonable. Bottas showed better speed than Massa, at least a few tenths. And Massa tried overtaking Button already but failed.

#22 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

damn...I feel sorry for the man :/

I don't. He is slower than his teammates and incapable to overtake.

Edited by BorkoF2012, 30 March 2014 - 10:01.

#23 krobinson

krobinson

• 610 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:01

Btw Massa is a total hypocrite, crying to team to keep Bottas off him then he himself ignoring team when they asked him to slow down.. What an asshat.

I agree.

#24 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:01

He should have given the room for Bottas, if the teams give orders you have to do what they want...Bottas will not take part to fp1 in three next races and many other race practises as Massa pays for his seat, so Massa should do what he is told as Vale is doing as well.

#25 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:02

:rotfl:

This made my day.

Guess Massa was thinking: "Screw it. I am not playing that game any more. Sack me if you want but I aint number 2 driver any more!"

Ironically his disobedience probably speeds up his progress towards #2 driver.

#26 Kyo

Kyo

• 1,313 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:02

Massa!  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#27 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:03

EDD STRAW: "Makes sense for Williams to order Massa to let Bottas through. He had ample opportunity to pass Button this race and Bottas was ordered to stay behind, now Bottas gets to have a chance to attack the McLaren.

"It's easy to complain, but Massa had team orders on his side earlier in the race and asked the team to call off Bottas's attack, so you he can't have it both ways."

. Nobody ordered Bottas to not fight Massa at the end of the race, so it was not both ways at all, as the situations were different. 

#28 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Highlight of the season!

Can't believe the team would say that over the radio after only two races. Sad fact is that it is true.

Once again Massa has shown no ability to overtake other cars (stuck behind Magnussen early on and Button later on despite having more pace).

And once again Massa has shown that the only people he really races against are his teammates. Bottas got a hard time despite the team order not to.

I hope the sponsors were worth the signing. 

#29 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

No, a smart move as Massa was fighting to overtake a Mclaren, and it was just too risky. So what if bottas was slightly faster at the end? They are supposed to be racing, and he was not exactly close to Massa.

Wrong..Massa wasnt exactly attacking the Mclaren...he was ''looking to''...Bottas was much quicker,and then Massa started moaning like always..Bottas was told to back off..to wait till Massa overtook the Mclaren and then make a move..Massa never got the move done and in hindsight,Williams slowed down Bottas needlessly.

Bottas wouldve unarguably finished much higher had he not been held back in the beginning

#30 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:04

Massa was almost crying speaking with the Spanish press.

#31 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:05

Massa did the right one, If bottas was really that faster, then he should have been able to pass Massa

#32 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:05

Perhaps but his engineer have use the same word by Ferrari. It's not cool at all.

#33 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:06

. Nobody ordered Bottas to not fight Massa at the end of the race, so it was not both ways at all, as the situations were different. 

They did. At least FOM broadcasted a conversation between Bottas and the team in the end where Bottas asked if he could try to overtake but was ordered to stay put.

#34 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Both bad play by the two sides. The phrasing was complete and utter disgrace, just for that i can understand why Massa didn't let Bottas past. The car struggled in the S2, which didn't let us overtake easily. Who checked the live timing, Bottas was struggling there as well, at times even slower, though wining time in the first sector mostly. Also we didn't get to hear all of the radio talk, they did settle it out eventually.

#35 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

I think they did say this in the final lap

#36 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:07

You know what I find funny?? Not even Ferrari ever asked Massa to move over so early in the season.

#37 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:08

Massa did the right one, If bottas was really that faster, then he should have been able to pass Massa

Shame he did not have the same sporting attitude earlier in the race when he cried about Bottas trying to overtake him.

#38 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:08

Wrong..Massa wasnt exactly attacking the Mclaren...he was ''looking to''...Bottas was much quicker,and then Massa started moaning like always..Bottas was told to back off..to wait till Massa overtook the Mclaren and then make a move..Massa never got the move done and in hindsight,Williams slowed down Bottas needlessly.

Bottas wouldve unarguably finished much higher had he not been held back in the beginning

Of course Bottas was faster when Massa was fighting to overtake a slower Mclaren lol. Even at the end of the race Bottas could not really get that close. Williams applying team orders in the second race is a disgrace.

#39 williams96

williams96

• 986 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:09

I'm starting to tire of Massa already.

He was very quick last race to sound off about race bans. This race he's happy for Bottas to play the second fiddle, but not himself.

This was in some ways similar to last year but reverse scenario. Vettel got the undercut to protect his position, meaning Webber had to stay on shot tyres and then ignored the team to hold station.

Williams needs their drivers to work together to get maximum points for the team. Massa can no longer ask for Bottas not to attack him.

Advertisement

#40 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Perhaps but his engineer have use the same word by Ferrari. It's not cool at all.

I have to agree on that..but Massa shouldve followed team orders and made his point after the race with the engineer on the radio and his management...that wouldve been a much more mature and dignified response...

As it is now,he denied Williams an oppurtunity to atatck Button,nearly cried in front of the spanish media after the race and created a situation out of nothing.

#41 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Bottas could have passed Button, I think that's why Massa was asked to move over.

Poor Felipe-Baby. :cry:  I don't blame him for ignoring the team orders, though.

#42 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:10

Shouldn't we bash Massa completely now for the rest of the year for ignoring team orders? 

#43 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:11

Of course Bottas was faster when Massa was fighting to overtake a slower Mclaren lol. Even at the end of the race Bottas could not really get that close. Williams applying team orders in the second race is a disgrace.

i dont see any point arguing with you.Shouldve done the same lots of us did in the live forum yesterday.

#44 Timantti

Timantti

• 971 posts

Bottas was clearly the faster driver of the two today. He came from 18th to just behind Massa even with Williams' weird tactic.

#45 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Poor show from Williams. 

They should never have sent that message they way they did. They should have gone with the second message and told him the facts, Bottas was on newer tyres don't hold him up. To echo 'Fernando is faster than you' was just moronic, when emotions are running high during as race.

#46 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:12

Bottas was on fresher tyres and had a chance of getting Button

He couldn't even overtake Massa when he had even fresher-er tyres. :confused:

To echo 'Fernando is faster than you' was just moronic, when emotions are running high during as race.

Agreed. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 30 March 2014 - 10:13.

#47 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:12

I'm starting to tire of Massa already.

He was very quick last race to sound off about race bans. This race he's happy for Bottas to play the second fiddle, but not himself.

This was in some ways similar to last year but reverse scenario. Vettel got the undercut to protect his position, meaning Webber had to stay on shot tyres and then ignored the team to hold station.

Williams needs their drivers to work together to get maximum points for the team. Massa can no longer ask for Bottas not to attack him.

Team order at the second race of the season is innaceptable. Bottas was so fast he couldn't make a move at Massa.

Edited by Massa, 30 March 2014 - 10:13.

#48 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:13

Ooh, Massa is very upset in the interview on Sky...referring to his team-mate as "Bottas". He is fizzing mad. :eek:

#49 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:13

He couldn't even overtake Massa when he had even fresher-er tyres. :confused:

Exactly. thinking he could overtake mclaren when he couldn't massa just highlights the sillyness of Williams order which did nothing other than damage the team harmony and reputation.

#50 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:14

Must say i am happy for Massa growing a back bone.