* - - - - 1 votes

Five second stop & go penalty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:26

I think today was the first time we saw the new 5sec s&g penalty in action. Personally I don't think it is very good.

If you are penalised before your final pitstop then the penalty is just five seconds, just a slap in the wrists. A spin or a dodgy pit stop would cost you more than that. It's not really a penalty. 

But If you get the penalty after your final pitstop then it is basically a 25-30 second time penalty. There is no way to recover from that in the final stages of the race.

I suspect that this season we are going to see a situation where there are two similar incidents and both getting the same penalty, but with drastically different results. This is the stuff that the FIA should be very very careful about when making rules and rulings. 

Advertisement

#2 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:31

I think today was the first time we saw the new 5sec s&g penalty in action. Personally I don't think it is very good.

If you are penalised before your final pitstop then the penalty is just five seconds, just a slap in the wrists. A spin or a dodgy pit stop would cost you more than that. It's not really a penalty. 

But If you get the penalty after your final pitstop then it is basically a 25-30 second time penalty. There is no way to recover from that in the final stages of the race.

I suspect that this season we are going to see a situation where there are two similar incidents and both getting the same penalty, but with drastically different results. This is the stuff that the FIA should be very very careful about when making rules and rulings. 

Just as it is intended to be. I like it.

#3 RogerGraham

RogerGraham

• 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:31

During the race commentary, Martin Brundle said that if a penalised driver doesn't have a pitstop scheduled after the penalty is applied, 5 seconds is added to their overall race time (i.e. they don't have to go into the pits to take the penalty).  

#4 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:32

That's not how the 5s penalty works.

16.3 The stewards may impose any one of the penalties below on any driver involved in an Incident: 

a) A five second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least five seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect not to stop, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned.

b) A drive-through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re-join the race without stopping. 

c) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race. 

If either of the three penalties above are imposed during the last three laps, or after the end of a race, Article 16.4b) below will not apply and five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned in the case of a) above, 20 seconds in the case of b) and 30 seconds in the case of c).
[...]

This is the stuff that people should be very very careful about when talking about rules and rulings.

Edited by dau, 30 March 2014 - 13:37.

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,315 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:33

I think it's great that they now have a suitable "small" penalty to hand out for minor infringements.

#6 SHODAN

SHODAN

• 60 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:34

Oh well, nice to see the actual regulations.

Edited by SHODAN, 30 March 2014 - 13:34.