* * * * * 1 votes

April Fool Jokes - please post them all here- do not start new threads

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:54

Not sure how much we can read in to this article but it sounds pretty authoritative and I guess there's no smoke without fire

Exclusive: Red Bull ditch Renault to use their own F1 V6 turbo engines from June onward

Quote from article

Grand Prix 247 can reveal exclusively that Red Bull Racing are soon to announce to the Formula 1 world that they have committed to building their very own V6 turbo engine, which will make it’s debut at the Austrian Grand Prix in June.

The directive, to build their own power unit, has reportedly come from Red Bull’s billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz in the wake of his team’s countless problems during testing at Jerez and Bahrain.

Earlier this year Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo suffered with the problematic all new Renault V6 turbo power unit – the catalyst being front page images of Vettel pushing his car up the pitlane, whereupon Mateschitz made the decision to break away from the engine supplier which helped the fizzy drinks team to eight world titles in four years.

The new power unit, said to be based on the Cosworth engine which was built and ready to run but no customers wanting to buy it. As result the project was shelved until Red Bull came knocking. After a short period of negotiations a deal was struck and the entire Cosworth F1 turbo project was airlifted to Milton Keynes and Cosworth agreeing to a no disclosure clause in the lock, stock and barrel buy out.

Since late February, when the deal was struck, Red Bull engineers in conjunction with Infiniti [Nissan] engineers have secretly put the final touches to the power unit which has been designated ‘Red Bull Wings DM-1′ – DM initials in honour of Dietrich Mateschitz.

A source close to the project revealed, “Red Bull have toyed with the idea of their own engine for some time now, even before the Renault crisis – where they were made to look like fools – and in the end was the catalyst for the decision to launch the project.”

“The emphasis is to create a power unit around the aggressive packaging of the original [Adrian] Newey designed Red Bull RB10, which has been compromised by the cooling requirements of the Renault PU.”

“When the boss [Mateschitz] set the goal of the engine making it’s debut at the Austrian Grand Prix, at the Red Bull Ring it was suggested this would be a tad ambitious. But he insisted telling us that his dream was to have a Red Bull car, with a Red Bull engine racing at the Red Bull Ring and simply said make it happen – money is not an issue,” divulged the source who opted not to be named.

Ominously for rivals the engine has been bench tested relentlessly, and subjected to intense Le Mans 24 Hours style evaluations which Nissan [Infiniti owners] are very familiar with.

Furthermore the new Wings DM-1 unit is reportedly flirting with four figure horsepower figures at full capacity, and is said to weigh “substantially less” than rival power units, with a “hugely effective and revolutionary” Energy Recovery System (ERS).

Hence the insistance that the power unit be bolted on to the Red Bull RB10s sooner than later, as engineers are confident that the unit will be plug-and-play thanks to the challenges endured and experience gained during preseason testing

When asked recently by APA what the power unit options are for the world champion team, Matechitz replied, “Probably just to make an engine ourselves.”

The project has been kept secret from all but the key personnel at Red Bull, and Infiniti who have sponsored the team for some years. The Nissan owned brand have long lamented not having a technical role in Formula 1 with the world champions and seized the opportunity to be part of the project.

The Wings DM-1 engine features Red Bull badging, with the following specifications:

• Displacement: 1.6l
  • Rev limit: 15,000 rpm
  • Pressure charging: Single turbocharger unlimited boost
  • Fuel flow limit: 100 kg/h (-40%)
  • Permitted Fuel quantity per race: 100 kg
  • Configuration: 90° V6
  • Number of cylinders: 6
  • Bore Max: 80mm
  • Stroke: 53mm
  • Crank height: 90mm
  • Number of valves: 4 per cylinder, 24
  • Exhausts: Single central exhaust outlet from turbine
  • Fuel: Direct fuel injection

In typical Red Bull fashion the attention to detail has prevailed throughout the project, and the exercise has evolved into a marketing opportunity which will be maximised by the team. An example is the fact that the metal and alloys used to build the engine will be of a blue hue, in keeping with the brand.

Our source confirmed, “It is too little too late, and it would be foolish to turn back now that the DM-1 project is so advanced, furthermore second best is not where the Red Bull big boss [Mateschitz] wants to be.”

This development effectively marginalises Renault who will still be paid by Red Bull as per contract, but does little to bolster the image of the French manufacturer who suffered bad publicity during the preseason. Renault have yet to respond or comment to this news, as they too are probably unaware of the Wings DM-1 PU project.

Thus the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix on 8 June will be the final race of the Red Bull Renault era, and two weeks later starts the Red Bull Wings DM-1 era for the team.

Together Red Bull and Renault won four F1 Constructors’ titles, four F1 Drivers’ titles, scored 47 victories, 57 pole positions and 41 fastest laps. (GP247)

full story here http://gptoday.com/f...om_June_onward/

Advertisement

#2 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:54

1st April .....

#3 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:55

oh sh*t...forgot it was April 1...........fell for that hook line sinker if not true

#4 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:56

It makes sense. This year is going to be quite tight, and given Red Bull's seemingly superior chassis it'd be a shame to lose out on the titles because of the engines alone.

Furthermore, the mother company has a long history of creating energy related products, so they're bound to have a lot of in-house expertise.

It's a bit sooner than I had expected, but all credit to them for giving the F1 campaign their full attention. :up:

;)

Edited by Nonesuch, 01 April 2014 - 07:56.

#5 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:05

1st April .....

Ah come on your ruined it way too early!

#6 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:05

I guess it will run on Red Bull? 

#7 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:06

High octane Red Bull with Vodka additive. I love April fools :)

#8 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:07

Yeah. Red BUll are going to design and build an engine in 6 months.

#9 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:08

oh sh*t...forgot it was April 1...........fell for that hook line sinker if not true

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

April Fool's Day.....I was sure someone would make a thread (or a threat) out of it.....especially the four-digit horsepower promise and that the project is now beyond the point of no return. A nice touch would have been also to have a blue-hued engine....

Well thought out article by 247, long and exclusive with fitting photographs.

#10 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:12

Tuttosport reporting:

“I would prefer to have won in Australia and Malaysia,” Alonso is quoted by Tuttosport. ”But as long as you are in front of your teammate, you are doing something extra compared to the expectations of people.”

Read more http://grandprix247.com/2014/04/01/alonso-i-prefer-to-win-but-as-long-as-you-are-in-front-of-your-teammate-you-are-doing-something-extra/

is another candidate for an April Fool's article, the mighty Alonso settling for merely beating his teammate in the future.

Oh, wait...

#11 JLF1

JLF1

• 70 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:15

April fools, but damn its a good one haha

#12 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:16

It's a good April Fools prank because it has a semblance of credibility. It's unlikely Red Bull would make a mid season switch as the Cosworth PU was not submitted before the FIA homologation deadline. In addition it would mean loosing all the points they amassed with the Renault power train. However for next year it makes sense having a bespoke PU. Plus with a cost cap as an in house engine program provides an additional allowance under any cost cap

#13 schuey91

schuey91

• 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:27

It seems Ricciardo's results aren't up to scratch for Red Bull's lofty standards, alas he's been dismissed after just two races...

http://real-motorspo...sack-ricciardo/

Seems a little harsh to me, he was hardly responsible for what happened at Melbourne, and he couldn't have done much else at Malaysia.

Poor guy...

JEV is being lined up as his replacement for Bahrain and China, a permanent replacement to be revealed before Spain.

#14 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,744 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:29

His fault for not getting out of the car to check the fuel sensor and the tire.

#15 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:29

Can we just have 1 post to put all the April fools day articles in?

#16 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:30

can't you guys group all the April's fools posts in one thread?

#17 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:57

it seems da Costa is moving to Hungary.

chrome users: dunno why, but the embedded video doesn't start in the article, so:

(how do you embed on this board?) edit: ah, so that's how. :D

Edited by Zava, 01 April 2014 - 09:57.

#18 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:21

Frijns has a new testing-livery on for Bahrain:

https://twitter.com/...3959680/photo/1

:wave:

Edited by BobbyRicky, 01 April 2014 - 10:23.

#19 vista

vista

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:25

I admit, I jumped in with both feet and truly believed the story until I saw this page. Feeling really stupid now  :lol:

Advertisement

#20 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:49

I heard the last race is going to be double points, but I'm not falling for it - it's too stupid.

#21 ThomFi

ThomFi

• 633 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:23

I heard the last race is going to be double points, but I'm not falling for it - it's too stupid.

Double points for Abu Dhabi are so insane you can't make it up.

Edited by ThomFi, 01 April 2014 - 11:35.

#22 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:06

It would be nice if April fool jokes were... funny.

Like the word "joke" implies in "April Fool jokes".

Mostly nowdays it seems more like:

"We'll just crap on about some stupid **** and lie to you for a while, then tomorrow tell you it wasnt true."

Edited by alfa1, 01 April 2014 - 12:07.

#23 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:25

It would be nice if April fool jokes were... funny.

Like the word "joke" implies in "April Fool jokes".

Mostly nowdays it seems more like:

"We'll just crap on about some stupid **** and lie to you for a while, then tomorrow tell you it wasnt true."

Agreed.  I was expecting the punchline of this engine April fool to say Red Bull engines would be a pair of wings or something. Instead it just rambled on and on.

#24 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:27

Kevin Magnussen @KevinMagnussen 3h

Getting ready for a good day at the @McLarenF1 underground test track. Need to work hard to improve the car for this weekend! #20

#25 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:28

Team McLaren @TeamMcLaren 4h

Rumours started during our MTC Tour yesterday but now we can officially reveal... #MTCsecrettrack pic.twitter.com/dpHvLBlJC7

#26 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:32

I assume this is Caterham's April fools thingee

https://twitter.com/...938068933959680

BkINyM6CYAA0T2w.jpg

#27 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:55

Kevin Magnussen ‏@KevinMagnussen 3h
Getting ready for a good day at the @McLarenF1 underground test track. Need to work hard to improve the car for this weekend! #20

Ssshhhhh! That's been our secret at the McLaren thread for years!

#28 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:58

Ssshhhhh! That's been our secret at the McLaren thread for years!

I heard they are using it to train Kevin in the correct application of the fitch throttle technique which is 28,76% more fuel efficient

Edited by EthanM, 01 April 2014 - 12:58.