- - - - -

Not 'buying' it!? USGP tickets

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 CrushedDreams

CrushedDreams

• 525 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 16:59

I am quoting myself below. This was from the 2013 FanVision thread. My thoughts after last years USGP:

"I just wanted to make a simple point: When you have people who are spending $650.00 for a ticket (Plus a lot more $$) FanVision ADDS way more value then it costs. Frankly, the FOM-F1-Track/Promoter should be begging for FanVision to be there. I don't think they realize that damaging the experience, and cutting the on-track activities as much as they did, that the $650.00 ticket may now only be 'worth' $375.00 to many (most of my 'group').

I am sure 'COTA' will again be hitting everyone-up for PSL's soon. I can't wait for that conversation.   :drunk: "

I have decided not to buy tickets for this years race. If you would have told me this a year ago; I would have laughed in your face, but I am letting my actions (and checkbook) follow my words. I have loved and followed F1 for a long time. Our group had 11 incredible seats, and maybe 2 of the group will be going back this year... Maybe. Most of us always assumed we would attend every race that would be held at COTA. 

It was a tough decision, but I am hopeful that others feel the same, and that those that can take action to make changes will. I also know, that if we all keep 'buying' it, nothing will change. 

Edited by CrushedDreams, 03 April 2014 - 17:00.

Advertisement

#2 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 17:16

Hopefully they will see sense, but with Bernie the only sense he see's is his wallet getting bigger. Real shame for you though. 

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 17:22

you could go to another event or 5 there for the same money, probably :)

#4 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 18:09

Your username is painfully apt for the financial vandalism of Formula 1.

#5 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 18:14

Your username is painfully apt for the financial vandalism of Formula 1.

Good term...

I can't imagine a race without FanVision being anywhere near as good. The last GP I attended was Spa in 2012... I'd have completely missed the first lap pile up without it.

Edited by Coops3, 03 April 2014 - 18:17.

#6 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 18:17

I would never have thought I wouldn't care to go to an F1 race.  

After doing the cattle-class flying to Montreal, to get a glimpse of the cars through the trees from a distance in General Admission - all told a lot of $$$$ for me - the camel's back has been broken.

If it was at Indy, and I knew I could roam around and sit where I wanted to on practice and qualifying days - it would be different.  But it looks like GA at COTA isn't any bettern than Montreal, and from an expense standpoint with a hotel room maybe a good bit more than actually going to Canada.

You're treated like dirt as a General Admission fan in F1.  You've got to be in the aristocracy class to buy an actual seat.  If they think quiet cars and economy racing will make people buy tickets in my stead, more power to them.

:(

#7 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 18:36

Really not a justifiable expense, especially since 3 day tickets to last weekends Indycars were $100 a pop for grandstand seats.

That's with a racecard full of good support events, too.

#8 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 20:46

Wait, can someone tell me exactly what is going on? I don't get the full picture i think.

#9 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:09

Wait, can someone tell me exactly what is going on? I don't get the full picture i think.

Thanks. I don't fully understand what happened either.

#10 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:15

Thanks. I don't fully understand what happened either.

+1

#11 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,658 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:16

As much as I bag TJ13, he does have some good stuff.

http://thejudge13.co...sion-out-of-f1/

#12 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:19

After doing the cattle-class flying to Montreal, to get a glimpse of the cars through the trees from a distance in General Admission - all told a lot of $$$$ for me - the camel's back has been broken.

If it was at Indy, and I knew I could roam around and sit where I wanted to on practice and qualifying days - it would be different.  But it looks like GA at COTA isn't any bettern than Montreal, and from an expense standpoint with a hotel room maybe a good bit more than actually going to Canada.

You're treated like dirt as a General Admission fan in F1.  You've got to be in the aristocracy class to buy an actual seat.  If they think quiet cars and economy racing will make people buy tickets in my stead, more power to them.

If you have the ability to get to a F1 race, you are already in a class better off then 90% of the world.

I bought seats 100m from the finish line in Sepang for 220 bucks for 3 days.

#13 RobertoLarcos

RobertoLarcos

• 50 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:27

But it looks like GA at COTA isn't any bettern than Montreal, and from an expense standpoint with a hotel room maybe a good bit more than actually going to Canada.

I think GA at COTA is significantly better than at Montreal - there are many more vantage points for a start. The view from the GA section just before the turn 1 grandstand is fantastic, though it obviously gets packed on race day.  

Accommodation in Austin, especially if you want to stay downtown, is a big problem during GP weekend. Luckily I managed to book a room for 5 nights on 6th Street for $700, within an hour of the 2014 dates being confirmed.

Regarding FanVision, it definitely enhanced the GP weekend for me. Even team personnel used it! It was nice not being confined to areas of the track with screens (which are often of poor quality anyway). However, it's not a deal-breaker for me when deciding whether to go to a race or not.

I would love to see it (or a similar service) back though. I don't expect this to happen, given that F1 doesn't care about the fans that attend races.

#14 shoofirbin

shoofirbin

• 467 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:07

so could you rent these devices at the venues or would you have to buy one and bring your own? how did it work?

#15 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,522 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:10

I also had no idea what OP was talking about until I decided to google what this "Fanvision" thing actually is. OP really could have explained things for those of us who never were at a live F1 race. Apparently "Fanvision" is some kind of service which allows fans at a F1 track to watch the race via some broadcast service and some handheld device you can buy, so even if you have a bad seat and cannot see much live action, you actually know what is going on. And this service apparently is not available this year at some locations. Really never heard about this so far, though, so if I had not googled for it, I still would have no clue what the OP was talking about.

#16 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:57

so could you rent these devices at the venues or would you have to buy one and bring your own? how did it work?

You rent them.

#17 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:30

Aren't there any big TV screens there ? I never needed that "fanVision" during any race I've been.

#18 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:48

fanvision (or kangaroo whatever it was called) was awesome .... Why on they stopped it last year I 'll never know

As a stopgap you can use an ipad with the F1 app or even (depending on your dataplan) something like the sky go thing ... although that doesn't make up for the lack of an organic stream at the track

#19 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:08

Aren't there any big TV screens there ? I never needed that "fanVision" during any race I've been.

You don't always have view of a screen, even at circuits like Spa. And sometimes when you do, it's quite far away.

Advertisement

#20 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:37

Makes you kinda wonder why did people went to the races when there was no FanVision or Tv screens eh.

#21 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,759 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:05

Makes you kinda wonder why did people went to the races when there was no FanVision or Tv screens eh.

Well, you usually had a support package including Formula Ford, Formula 3, touring cars, a celebrity race, maybe some historics and maybe a sportscar special.  What is there now?  The chance to glimpse a Cumberbatch through the bins?

#22 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:18

i did like kangaroo tv at le mans, the downside is you can end up watching the screen and not whats in front of you :x

#23 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:53

I think it depends on the cirucit. At Montreal, yes the general admission is pitiful, but then again I thought the seats were pretty good value. 

At Melbourne however, I paid top $ for a seat, yet ended up hanging out with people in GA and the view and experience was fantastic. I ended up only sitting in my seat for the race, if only to get my VFM, and I regret not going GA as I didn't gain anything from having my seat. Arguably, the view was better from the GA place and my photos from there much better. 

Same with Monza - that has really good GA. 

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,502 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:16

I am quoting myself below. This was from the 2013 FanVision thread. My thoughts after last years USGP:

"I just wanted to make a simple point: When you have people who are spending $650.00 for a ticket (Plus a lot more $$) FanVision ADDS way more value then it costs. Frankly, the FOM-F1-Track/Promoter should be begging for FanVision to be there. I don't think they realize that damaging the experience, and cutting the on-track activities as much as they did, that the $650.00 ticket may now only be 'worth' $375.00 to many (most of my 'group').

I am sure 'COTA' will again be hitting everyone-up for PSL's soon. I can't wait for that conversation.   :drunk: "

I have decided not to buy tickets for this years race. If you would have told me this a year ago; I would have laughed in your face, but I am letting my actions (and checkbook) follow my words. I have loved and followed F1 for a long time. Our group had 11 incredible seats, and maybe 2 of the group will be going back this year... Maybe. Most of us always assumed we would attend every race that would be held at COTA. 

It was a tough decision, but I am hopeful that others feel the same, and that those that can take action to make changes will. I also know, that if we all keep 'buying' it, nothing will change. 

This absolutely correct, sir. COTA has shown time and time again they are not at all concerned with the fan experience and really couldn't care less about motorsport.

Kudos to you for taking a stand.

#25 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,502 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:20

It's better than Montreal, esp during non-F1 races. But during F1 races, most of the best views are blocked by grandstands. The fan experience is MUCH better at COTA during races like WEC or V8SC, assuming COTA ever brings them back. Without all those GSs there are multiple panoramic views of large portions of the track that simply aren't available from GA during F1 weekends.

#26 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,502 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:23

You don't always have view of a screen, even at circuits like Spa. And sometimes when you do, it's quite far away.

Yep. In Austin, many people complained in 2012 that the screens are too far away or not big enough, but COTA came right back with the same setup in 2013. Even if you're sitting directly in front of them, you can see the action, but you can't follow race info graphics like timing, etc. They're just too small and far away.

Edited by AustinF1, 02 June 2014 - 18:27.

#27 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,502 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:25

Well, you usually had a support package including Formula Ford, Formula 3, touring cars, a celebrity race, maybe some historics and maybe a sportscar special.  What is there now?  The chance to glimpse a Cumberbatch through the bins?

Yeah, and this year there was very little happening on-track in Austin other than than F1. It was pathetic, frankly, especially on Sunday. 

#28 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 21:00

I thought i posted in this thread, saying not buying it...

Still not buying it. Too much expenditure, but very little value for me in terms of experience compared to watching it on telly. I mean may be able to score some autographs... but that's it and that if i'm lucky.

As ensign said it, Cumberbatch... but given this is US, may be they could get Jay Leno, or Andretti Snr. to come along...

#29 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 21:49

couldn't you bring your verizon powered tablet and watch F1 Extra during the race?  They spoke of it being disallowed, but many people had them at the race in 2012.  I had fanvision, and to be honest, I didn't use it all that much because I was too busy taking pictures, so I looked at the screens mostly - but many used the pads or fanvision.  The screens in the main grandstand were very nice (I was in front of Red Bull) and it was clear and vivid.   I also visited Grandstand 12 - the screen there was also nice, but at times a little sunblocked.

In any case, maybe there is a work around, but if not, they really need to bring back fanvision.

Edited by bourbon, 02 June 2014 - 21:49.

#30 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:11

I've been to several motorsport events (albeit only one Grand Prix), and I personally don't see the point of paying money for a grandstand seat (or even general admission) to get the trackside experience right in front of me, and then to spend much of the time staring at a screen that I'm holding in front of my face.  Hell, I can even do without the big screens (which aren't used at all at club events for instance).  I'll make a grudging acceptance for the Le Mans 24 Hours, due to the length of both the circuit and the event, but otherwise for me the point of going to an event is to have a completely different experience to watching it on the TV or computer.  To each their own, though.  Is the spectator viewing at COTA and Montréal much worse than other tracks?

#31 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:14

Don't what they get elsewhere but Silverstone has GP2, GP3, Porche and Historic F1. 

#32 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:34

I also had no idea what OP was talking about until I decided to google what this "Fanvision" thing actually is. OP really could have explained things for those of us who never were at a live F1 race. Apparently "Fanvision" is some kind of service which allows fans at a F1 track to watch the race via some broadcast service and some handheld device you can buy, so even if you have a bad seat and cannot see much live action, you actually know what is going on. And this service apparently is not available this year at some locations. Really never heard about this so far, though, so if I had not googled for it, I still would have no clue what the OP was talking about.

So, you travel to a race circuit, rent a hotel room, maybe eat questionable food, go to a poor vantage point and then watch the race on a tiny TV?

Sounds better to stay home.

#33 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,048 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 13:47

They had them at the INDY500 this year for a paltry $35 bucks.

Made ALL the difference offering 6 in-car views with team radio, 2 broadcast feeds (ABC and the Intl') track PA and IMS radio.

62baeaf2be297aded8f7f586cb1f8bb5.jpeg

Also the one I had for the last F1GP there in 2007 was really handy after the 37 beers I drank in the hospitality sweet.

kangatoilet.jpg

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 03 June 2014 - 13:54.

#34 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 14:17

I've always liked the mystery of being at a race and not quite understanding what has happened further round the circuit. The discussion amongst the fans is always entertaining. You can watch the full race when you get home so for me its a waste of money. Going to a race is a waste of money these days though as the pricing has just got out of hand IMO.

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 14:23

So, you travel to a race circuit, rent a hotel room, maybe eat questionable food, go to a poor vantage point and then watch the race on a tiny TV?

I spent a good portion of the race with binoculars on so I could see the big-screen setup that was like 2.3 miles in the distance from my seat(and it wasn't due to bad seats, it was just really far away on the other side of the damn track). Kinda have to watch the race some other way or else you're not going to know what's going on. They need a live commentator at the track, doing the play-by-play over speakers, I think.

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 15:54

And at Silverstone they had to pay another £100 or so for the privilege. I assume the price was similar elsewhere.

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,048 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 17:45

They need a live commentator at the track, doing the play-by-play over speakers, I think.

Well.. that may work with this year's cars but for the last 40 years you'd have NO CHANCE of hearing what's coming out of those 'speakers'

You'd think with this "Official F1 app" they might offer an 'At the track audio' feature with Bob Cantstandhisduros?

Jp

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 17:49

I spent a good portion of the race with binoculars on so I could see the big-screen setup that was like 2.3 miles in the distance from my seat(and it wasn't due to bad seats, it was just really far away on the other side of the damn track). Kinda have to watch the race some other way or else you're not going to know what's going on. They need a live commentator at the track, doing the play-by-play over speakers, I think.

They do that at Silverstone, but you can't hear them over the cars. Might be different this year. They also broadcast the commentary, but I always forget to take a radio.

#39 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 18:06

Yeah, a radio broadcast is really all that's needed, and I find can be pretty essential to follow the action. See what you see with your eyes, and have commentary in your ear. Tracks that do this often sell little in ear devices pretty cheap.

Advertisement

#40 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 18:11

Surely, a wifi link is all that is needed and stream it. Everyone has smartphones or iPads. Log on to the local wifi and get all the info and footage you need.

#41 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 225 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 20:41

I've always liked the mystery of being at a race and not quite understanding what has happened further round the circuit. The discussion amongst the fans is always entertaining. You can watch the full race when you get home so for me its a waste of money. Going to a race is a waste of money these days though as the pricing has just got out of hand IMO.

I agree on all points, You can usually follow what is going on and if you can't, well, what did people at Monza, Reims and Spa do all those years ago? They probably still enjoyed being there, seeing the cars in action and soaking up the atmosphere.

Is there no big screens at Austin? obviously that will limit where you can then watch the action but surely better than nothing if you really want to go?

I saw the ticket prices for this years race at Silverstone, having not seen them for a good few years I was amazed. Has the world gone mad??? £150 for GA, £220 for the cheapest seat!!! :drunk:

Edited by yasushi888, 03 June 2014 - 20:41.

#42 rjk

rjk

• 194 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 20:56

I was hoping to catch my first ever GP at Austin this year having missed it last year due to work commitments. Looking at the responses here, I am wondering if it would be worth it :(

#43 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:00

I was hoping to catch my first ever GP at Austin this year having missed it last year due to work commitments. Looking at the responses here, I am wondering if it would be worth it :(

You should go and make your own mind up. 

#44 Viceroy

Viceroy

• 411 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 23:09

:up: :up: :up:

#45 l8apex

l8apex

• 556 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 23:42

The problem with the Austin event is the price.  I'm sure the problem is the same for a lot of events give how much Bernie is asking per race ... not every country has oil money coming out of their ass.  Austin seems to think it is Monaco though when it comes to how they price their tickets.

I live in the Austin area and have gone to every race.  Last year was a disappointment in regards to the other races and lack of fan vision.  The race organizer can't even figure out how to display the right numbers on the giant pole in regards to who is fastest in qualifying or what order they are in.  You basically just see cars whiz by in qualifying and wonder how things are going.

Anyhow, for $650 per ticket you can watch the race at home and throw a bad ass party and have a good time.

I went to MotoGP (GA) and will watch some other events there this year.  It would be nice if they got Indy Car.  It would also be nice if they lowered their ticket prices.  It seemed like 80% of the people there at the MotoGP race were GA, as the stands were essentially empty.

Edited by l8apex, 04 June 2014 - 23:43.