Photo

Strathaven Racing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JtP2

JtP2

• 452 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 22:41

This came up in a discussion the other day. Who were Strathaven Racing ltd who appeared to own GT40/P1078 entered mostly for Eric Liddell. The car was sold from new to a Geoff Edwards, whom I assume was Strathaven Racing ltd and where is the car now?

Advertisement

#2 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:35

Off the top of my head the Strathaven GT40 was mostly raced by Mike Salmon in 1968. According to Ronnie Spain it was sold in 1982 to Phil Rudd of AC/DC and shipped to Australia. Much may have happened since.

#3 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,089 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 18:51

As a not quite off topic aside, the local pronunciation of Strathaven (a small town in South Lanarkshire, near to East Kilbride where I worked at the National Engineering Laboratory for a while) is "Straven". I wonder whether the team used that?

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 04 April 2014 - 18:52.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 20:38

This might be a muddled memory but wasn't the Strathaven GT40 run by Lord Downe, formerly the Hon. John Dawnay of AMOC fame? He was a very interesting bloke, as can be seen from his obituary in 'The Torygraph' here:

http://www.telegraph...ount-Downe.html

Most unfortunately, he ran out of luck very early...

DCN

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 22:34

Reading his biography he seemed a gentleman of another age.

#6 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 23:29

Viscount Downe entered Mike Salmon in a GT40 in 1967 which was burned out at Le Mans. He retained it and eventually rebuilt it for Mike to race in historic events. It was sold to finance his part in the Nimrod project. I see the dear old Telegraph had Stirling Moss driving the Nimrod!  According to Ronnie Spain's tome the Strathaven GT40 belonged to Geoff Edwards, a Channel Island resident. Since Mike Salmon lives in Jersey there would seem a connection there, although I have no knowledge of whether Lord Downe was involved with this car. Salmon's usual co-driver in this car was David Piper; unusually driving a car not entered by himself. If anyone is in touch with either Mike Salmon or David Piper they may be able to provide more information.

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:57

...Salmon's usual co-driver in this car was David Piper; unusually driving a car not entered by himself...

I would point out that while Piper did indeed generally drive his own cars, he was also engaged from time to time by Ferrari, NART, Gulf-JWA, Porsche System Engineering and a number of fellow privateers.  He often did pretty well for them, too...

DCN

#8 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:31

You didn't mention Maranello Concessionaires as well Doug. My point really was made because I was half thinking Piper may have had more involvement in the team than simply as co-driver.

#9 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 21:25

Jimmy would this be the car that Eric kept in the garage of his house in Bishopbriggs.

#10 JtP2

JtP2

• 452 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 14:26

currently no broadband or phone, thank you bt. Was going to phone you and ask what colour the liddell gt40 was in his garage, but can't just now. The Strathaven  gt40 would seem to be gt40/p1078 and brown while owned by them