- - - - -

Mid season changes.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 RichardF1fan

RichardF1fan

• 405 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:16

With teams (and fans) demanding various things needs to change ASAP , whether it be shorter races, remove the flow sensor, make cars heavier, make holes in the exhaust etc

If you ran F1 what changes would you make mid season? - the only limitations are 1) it has to be physically possible, 2) it has to be affordable and not require millions in R&D

Here are mine - feel free to rip apart and submit your own.

1) Increase car weights by 20Kg and set a minimum driver+seat weight to allow drivers to eat occasionally.

2) As cars now 20Kg heavier increase the max fuel flow and average it over 1 second so the cars can rev a bit higher and make more noise.

3) Make all cars start with 100Kg of fuel so if you have a fuel efficient car/ shorter circuit you can push harder during the race rather than drive around in fuel saving mode with a partially filled tank.

4) Remove double points for the last race.

5) Since drivers would be allowed to weigh a bit more from 1), make them drink all the champagne on the podium before being interviewed, might get less corporate speak and more character.

Advertisement

#2 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:27

Go to a storage and make the mid '00 cars race ready. :p

#3 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:37

I don't agree that anything should be changed mis-season under any circumstances as it promotes knee-jerk decisions that have previously sent F1 on a slippery downward slope. But for the following season I would suggest:

1. Remove DRS

2. Remove all fuel flow sensors etc but have fuel allocation to each car

3. Remove Double Points

4. Remove Bernie from his position

5. Remove driver weight issues by having a seat + driver weight limit (all ballast in specific part of seat)

6. Remove the overly complex front wings for less downforce

7. Remove every circuit that doesn't achieve a set number of paying spectators

#4 Mercedestorque1

Mercedestorque1

• 256 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:48

i say leave everything the way it is! except the dumb double points idea :p

#5 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:55

Get rid of the double points. Don't change anything would affect the competitiveness of the grid. Teams built their cars to the 2014 regulations. Its unfair.

#6 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:57

Removing double points, but that's it. It's unfair to change anything that affects the competitive order unless there's an obvious safety imperative to do so.

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:03

I wouldn't change ANYTHING midseason, not even the double points rule. They've signed up for this, they stay with this. Any change would benefit someone and hinder someone else, so for the sake of fairness stick with it unless there's a urgent massive issue or a safety concern.

#8 x600

x600

• 87 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:27

I would remove the driver from the car. The car would be driven via remote control from the pit lane. That way I could save 40kg (or whatever they weigh). It would not only save a load of fuel, but also lifes (motorsport is still too dangerous). We could finally close the cockpits and place some advertising products (like a big Red Bull can for example) under the transparent window. It would attract many new sponsors. Fans could vote via Twitter, or SMS for different things. If one driver who is in front get's a certain amount of votes, hes car has to slow down and let the oters pass. It would be a new motorsport era. I have so much more ideas...

#9 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:31

I would remove the driver from the car. The car would be driven via remote control from the pit lane. That way I could save 40kg (or whatever they weigh). It would not only save a load of fuel, but also lifes (motorsport is still too dangerous). We could finally close the cockpits and place some advertising products (like a big Red Bull can for example) under the transparent window. It would attract many new sponsors. Fans could vote via Twitter, or SMS for different things. If one driver who is in front get's a certain amount of votes, hes car has to slow down and let the oters pass. It would be a new motorsport era. I have so much more ideas...

x600 are you Bernie Ecclestone?

#10 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:34

Realistically it'd have to be double points........unrealistically er..........if it's a dry track you have to race on inters/wets, if it's a wet track you have to race on dry tyres, if it's something inbetween dry and wet, you have to race on custard doughnuts

#11 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:35

I don't agree that anything should be changed mis-season under any circumstances as it promotes knee-jerk decisions that have previously sent F1 on a slippery downward slope. But for the following season I would suggest:

1. Remove DRS

2. Remove all fuel flow sensors etc but have fuel allocation to each car

3. Remove Double Points

4. Remove Bernie from his position

5. Remove driver weight issues by having a seat + driver weight limit (all ballast in specific part of seat)

6. Remove the overly complex front wings for less downforce

7. Remove every circuit that doesn't achieve a set number of paying spectators

Good points  :up:

Maybe the set number of paying spectators could be problematic. Maybe they should work under the goal of how much profit they produce over the entire weekend.

Even then though, if places like Monza or SPA did not bring in a profit, fans would not be pleased with them being removed.

Edited by sennafan24, 04 April 2014 - 11:37.

#12 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:41

The rain doesn't break green lights.
No red flags and delays for water on the track, drive to the conditions and let's see who strikes the right balance between balls and brains

#13 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:42

Good points  :up:

Maybe the set number of paying spectators could be problematic. Maybe they should work under the goal of how much profit they produce over the entire weekend.

Even then though, if places like Monza or SPA did not bring in a profit, fans would not be pleased with them being removed.

I'm only interested in racing at circuits where people are watching.  Bernie's fees are much to blame for Profitability and he won't be involved.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:43

I'd relax the fairly draconian 5 PU limit and get rid of DRS.  For the moaners, release an app that overlays a V8 engine sound for download and rebroadcast the 2004 season esepcially for them so that they can revel in the excitement of  faster car domination.  And send Ecclestone and di Montezemolo to a care home just in case these two out of touch clowns ever have any bright ideas for spicing up the 'show'... The rest is fine.

#15 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:52

The rain doesn't break green lights.
No red flags and delays for water on the track, drive to the conditions and let's see who strikes the right balance between balls and brains

I think you'll find that sometimes it's TOO wet. Suzuka quali in 2010 or 2011 (whichever year it was where it was delayed to the Sunday morning) the track was completely flooded, even the SC struggled round that lap. Canada race day 2011 another example, the drivers would've been better off in boats during that storm.

#16 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:53

I'm only interested in racing at circuits where people are watching.  Bernie's fees are much to blame for Profitability and he won't be involved.

Fair point

I know what you mean, I think it was India or Korea last year where there was barely anyone there. Not good.

#17 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:54

I'd relax the fairly draconian 5 PU limit and get rid of DRS.  For the moaners, release an app that overlays a V8 engine sound for download and rebroadcast the 2004 season esepcially for them so that they can revel in the excitement of  faster car domination.  And send Ecclestone and di Montezemolo to a care home just in case these two out of touch clowns ever have any bright ideas for spicing up the 'show'... The rest is fine.

Sorry you've made me think of another change I'd like to add... ;)

8.  Remove any reference to F1 as 'The Show'

#18 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:21

I wouldn't change ANYTHING midseason, not even the double points rule. They've signed up for this, they stay with this. Any change would benefit someone and hinder someone else, so for the sake of fairness stick with it unless there's a urgent massive issue or a safety concern.

Bingo

#19 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:25

As much as I hate a lot of the current rules, as soon as the season starts, they cannot be changed.

One thing I would like changed which can happen mid-season but would have no impact on the racing is the tedious podium interviews.

Advertisement

#20 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:36

They should do something radical, like banning front and rear wings.

#21 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:06

As much as I hate a lot of the current rules, as soon as the season starts, they cannot be changed.

One thing I would like changed which can happen mid-season but would have no impact on the racing is the tedious podium interviews.

In a sense I don't mind them, however at the same time they generally involve saying about the crowd, or in the case of Malaysia, Rosberg saying Malaysia can be proud because their company provides the best oil/fuel in F1 to the winning team, which, being honest, sounded like the sort of thing I'd expect a NASCAR driver to say, and isn't really particularly interesting. On the other hand, sometimes you get a......well, you get a moment like you did at Malaysia last year with Webber basically coming out and saying "Vettel can do his own thing regardless and will be protected as usual because he's Vettel and I'm not and it's him that the team want to win titles as he's more marketable to them than I am". So it has it's pros and cons I suppose. That interview was certainly memorable, and I'm not totally convinced we'd have had anything even close to that if it'd have just been straight off to the press conference, in a room and the team knowing the tension trying to grab a word with them to tell them to watch what they say.

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 04 April 2014 - 14:07.

#22 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:08

Mid season changes go f*** yourself.

#23 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:10

Remove the double points. Remove the double points. Remove the double points. Remove the double points.

#24 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:12

Remove the double points. Remove the double points. Remove the double points. Remove the double points.

ok, but this is not really a midseason change... it was a mid-preseason chage to introduce this crap....

#25 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:29

Get rid of the double points. Don't change anything would affect the competitiveness of the grid. Teams built their cars to the 2014 regulations. Its unfair.

Exactly what he said.

I might not like all the regs, but any technical changes would not be right. Get rid of double points though.

#26 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,439 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:31

Cancel Double Points
Solve minimum driver weight issues for tall drivers
Let BBC broadcast all the GP's live

#27 RichardF1fan

RichardF1fan

• 405 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:35

how about

remove all but a couple of knobs off the steering wheel and then any other settings changes can only be made by radio link whilst driving through the pit lane.

A minimum pit stop tyre change time of 5 seconds.

and you can't be called to the headmaster for calling something sh*t when it obviously is sh*t

#28 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 14:36

Agreed. Apart from the double points, any other mid-season changes should be restricted to off-track things.

#29 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 15:02

Don't change anything technical; for example Force India's great work on last year's car was ruined by the Pirelli change, and that killed the title fight too. 

But yes GET RID of the double points. 

#30 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 15:06

Now this weight issue I would change. Apparently Sutil's racing without a water bottle this weekend. That has to be a safety issue.

#31 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:13

Now this weight issue I would change. Apparently Sutil's racing without a water bottle this weekend. That has to be a safety issue.

Agreed, I do not want dehydrated drivers operating 200 mph vehicles. The FIA should immediately mandate a water bottle at the very least. 

#32 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:40

economyruns aren't racing so first of all, more fuel and go ahead and make it RACING and then this weightthing. that is absolute ****. do something about it now and not next weekend.

#33 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:43

Agreed, I do not want dehydrated drivers operating 200 mph vehicles. The FIA should immediately mandate a water bottle at the very least. 

agreed, if they can bring in Vettel to Todt because he said **** they should be able to do this NOW and not tomorrow. and what does it say about F1 when a waterbottle is too heavy? this is crazy. it's insane.

#34 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:51

For some reason I thought this was a thread about KR...

#35 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:20

economyruns aren't racing so first of all, more fuel and go ahead and make it RACING and then this weightthing. that is absolute ****. do something about it now and not next weekend.

I don't think anybody has struggled with fuel this season, so I think the idea of economy runs base on fuel is slightly exaggerated. We did hear Ricciardo being told to maintain a gap of 2s behind his teammate to preserve tyres in Sepang, so that issue remains. Beside, with only 5 power units permitted no amount of extra fuel (sure that would require fuel tank/ chassis re-designs to accommodate) would negate the need for pacing over racing.

#36 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:21

ME? 

Get rid of double points on the last race, I think they'd be amazed how well such a notion would go down.

Drivers should not be cutting weight like F1 was a UFC event. Even fighters re-hydrate up to their full weight before they step in a ring - This is a huge safety issue!

I like Dampmongoose's idea, but I would just have a minimum driver weight limit (with all ballast in specific part of seat so no benefit can be gained from starving & dehydrating the driver!) separate from the car minimum weight. 100 kilos should be good enough to keep everyone healthy and allow bigger drivers a chance at getting an F1 drive if they have the talent. 6 foot tallish drivers are not less talented than shorter guys.

#37 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:26

Go to a storage and make the mid '00 cars race ready. :p

Yep +1 :lol:

#38 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:29

-No double points.

-No drs.

-Bring back real tires.

-Change engines regs to allow any configuration and initial fuel, but keep fuel sensors. Unlimited KERS, but batteries must be safe.

-Get rid of the CVC leaching money from the sports.

-No asphalt runoffs.

-Let me change the tracks so half the calendar isn't filled with useless Tilkedroms.

-No car weight limits, only weight limit is that the driver + seat must weigh 90 kg.

-Fix nose of the cars.

#39 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:34

Adding lasers.

Advertisement

#40 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:40

Kill all the fans.

#41 DS27

DS27

• 4,685 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:50

Real flags on the podium please - a flag on a flat screen monitor does quite hit the spot.

#42 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 18:06

Add machine guns to the nose and if it's been 3 laps and your teammate won't move out of the way, you are allowed to shoot at them.  Also.. some pipes out the back of the car, to deploy smoke screens and oil slicks as defenses.  And for the marshalls to randomly put turtle shells out on the track at different parts of the race.  The ability to refuel midrace without pitting, by having a second fuel tanker car pull alongside on the straights and give you a top up.

edit - And for FOM to broadcast this music in place of any commentary.

Edited by HoldenRT, 04 April 2014 - 18:12.

#43 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 18:19

Scrap blue flags they affect Maxi Chilton's climb up the F1 ladder.