* * * * * 1 votes

Bahrain GP Thread

• Please log in to reply
870 replies to this topic

#1 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 19:05

Welcome! Welcome to the Bahrain GP thread, sponsored by...

Fernandes-Angry.jpg

Oh... right....

AHEM!

Only 20 hours to go! Will Lotus finish the race? Can Williams finally claw back to the top? :clap:

jean-todt-fiorano.jpg

Wait wait wait! Don't leave just yet! I am doind this serious! Honest! I promise there will be no american references, links to non payed advertising, takes on Bernie, takes on tyres or takes on those overtaking gadgets that keep fizzling in races.

The track: Bahrain International Circuit

800px-Bahrain_International_Circuit--Gra

As you can see it's yet another brilliant design by the wizard Herman, a track that certainly should earn double points next year. WEC comes here too so why not make it a triple round since we already have one?

Some of you may remeber that in previous years there were some issues with creatures of the dark, but they are gone this year, all is cool.

itispitchbla128571057367468227.jpg

That was trackside business, down to insidetrack business

The Mercedes boys  are literally blowing the oposition out of the water.

mercedes-tank-limo.jpg

There is no end in sight for the unslaught since the folks back at Woking are still chopping heads off.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Fortunatley we might have the british eavesdropping this time.

James-Bond-Martinis.jpg

Further down the grid are the dark horses in red. Do not understimate them, for they may still have a couple tricks up on their sleeves.

rush21.jpg

Midfield? Who cares about midfield? Hulk smash all midfield oposition! 27 Powah!

Hulk1.jpg

Renault teams, which is to say Red Bull, will be looking at avoiding further exposure of Vettel's inner clothing, but if bad luck strikes again they can always blame the french.

dcd1419fe46.jpg

The stage is set, penalties have been given and the GP2 chumps are done for the day.

Let's race!

dpl1317ma135.jpg

Edited by Red17, 05 April 2014 - 22:25.

Advertisement

#2 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,166 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 19:41

Between Dennis beheading Whitmarsh here and Kimi Leading the People in another thread, I'm pleased to see art and high culture being promoted in this forum.

#3 geoffd

geoffd

• 48 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 19:47

Nice OP.  Let's hope the race lives up to it.

I still don't get the cats.

Geoff

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 21:16

KittyCats get the lil'fishys

fresh-sardines11.jpg

Jp

#5 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 21:24

Nice effort!  A tad early, but that's how you got to be to make sure you're in with a shout for the 2014 prize and not an also ran.

#6 Numero14

Numero14

• 49 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 21:37

Bottas, Alonso and Massa will be fight for 3rd place on podium

#7 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 21:48

If Alonso has a chance starting from 9th the Red Bull guys right alongside/ behind him should fancy their chances as well.

#8 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 22:12

I'm actually quite looking forward to this, sure the Mercedes are in another galaxy but there's the mother of all close packs behind them with absolutely nothing between Force India, Williams, Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull and if anyone's got a slight advantage it's the 2 underdog teams in this (FI and Williams). Meanwhile, I don't really want to mention Senna/Prost but we have potential for the same kind of entertainment upfront between the Merc boys - particularly on a track Rosberg is strong, with Rosberg on pole (as Hamilton looked considerably better last race and I wouldn't want that to become a pattern for the sake of entertainment). Good vibes overall considering the current domination situation.

#9 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 22:56

Hmmm... might the story of the race lie in these comments? 

"I hope that we will have the chance to fight for the race win. We have small differences in the set-up of our cars, and Nico has always done well here - he was quick last year - but the gap is a little bit smaller. This is the positive I can take from today. "

http://www.formula1....14/4/15685.html

Lewis was consistently faster in S2 which suggests more df and should help looking after tyres.

#10 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 23:03

Lewis (Senna) 1st, Nico (Prost) 2nd, Bottas (Mika-Kimi) 3rd. Hopefully a good fight for the win between SenHam and ProRos and some entertainment when team orders are called between them.

#11 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 23:20

Team orders at the Stuttgart boot boys and rightly so IMO.Whoever streaks off first mantains position and the rear gunner rides shotgun.That way it might just be possible to surpass what McLaren almost achieved with Senna and Prost all those years ago...damn you Schlesser! You blotted the copy book!! :D

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:44

And Jp was THERE at Monza to see the Berger Alboreto 1-2

I cheered for Ferrari back then.

Jp

#13 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:14

jalapeno vs icecream at the beginning ... while we'll see how Sebi copes in the midfield. we might get to see good battle between Ricchardo and bettel for a change. 

kimi for podium. no interest in who comes first or second ... hey it's easy, we've been giving **** for last 3 years, 2014 just feels like home. 

p.s kimi with 'BOOBS' ... totally uncool  :down: we need inflated dolphins and coke. 

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:46

Meanwhile, I don't really want to mention Senna/Prost but we have potential for the same kind of entertainment upfront between the Merc boys -

http://www.mirror.co...-jackie-3380060

Many others notice the very same..

Jp

#15 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:58

Cmon Lewis. :up:

A DNF for Nico would be welcome too :cool:

#16 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:00

The Red Bulls will make it more exciting than Malaysia, Vettel will certainly go for one stop less.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can they still do set up changes to his car? I was thinking ofthey'd like to give it more top speed to help overtaking.

No matter who wins, the WDC will not be decided tomorrow. So stop crying already, Red Bull and Ferrari tifosi.

#17 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:06

The Red Bulls will make it more exciting than Malaysia, Vettel will certainly go for one stop less.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can they still do set up changes to his car? I was thinking ofthey'd like to give it more top speed to help overtaking.

No matter who wins, the WDC will not be decided tomorrow. So stop crying already, Red Bull and Ferrari tifosi.

Any changes under parc ferme would require him to start from the pit lane.

#18 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:13

Can't shake this feeling that Bottas or Perez will do something on lap 1 to determine which Mercedes wins this race.

#19 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:14

I feel like the OP is the most interesting thing we'll witness today. Great references and nice photoshopping :D

Mercs will pull away and get a 1-2 bar a failure, the fight for the last podium spot will be interesting since there could be 3-4 riders involved. I'm curios to see what the Bulls can do from the midfield, especially they struggle for top speed down the straights. I bet we'll hear lots of radio complaints about this.

Advertisement

#20 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:45

Lewis (Senna) 1st, Nico (Prost) 2nd, Bottas (Mika-Kimi) 3rd. Hopefully a good fight for the win between SenHam and ProRos and some entertainment when team orders are called between them.

surely the correct naming is Prostberg. :smoking:

#21 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:03

Team orders at the Stuttgart boot boys and rightly so IMO.Whoever streaks off first mantains position and the rear gunner rides shotgun.That way it might just be possible to surpass what McLaren almost achieved with Senna and Prost all those years ago...damn you Schlesser! You blotted the copy book!! :D

Where is it stated they can only race to first cornet?

#22 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:55

Add Pérez to that battle. Force India's long runs were very impressive and only Mercedes were faster.

#23 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:00

I hope the race is as good as the OP!

#24 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:05

Waiting until 17:00 PM, not cool.

#25 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:12

I feel somewhat robbed of the battle between Kimi and Alonso last time out. Chance to live it again today. Should be fun. 

Track isn't too bad and usually lends itself to good racing. 

#26 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:14

when is GP2 by the way?

#27 sock22

sock22

• 408 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:15

when is GP2 by the way?

11:15 GMT

#28 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:15

And Jp was THERE at Monza to see the Berger Alboreto 1-2

I cheered for Ferrari back then.

Jp

To be honest, given the circumstances of those few weeks before Monza and how the race panned out, I'd have been a screaming Tifoso by the end of that race.

#29 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,345 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:19

Yeah some being was over Monza that day.

#30 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:22

P2 just smoked P1 off the grid, it was Nasr's fault though. Long live the dirty side! 

#31 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:33

Just wondering: will there be more marshalls around the circuit that fans in the stands? I mean, if people are actually switching off this year (and even Bernie says it, so it must be big issue), it's hard to expect a lot of people in the middle of the desert on working day.

#32 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:53

and even Bernie says it, so it must be big issue

:lol:

#33 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:54

This has the makings of a good race (potential classic)

Nico vs Lewis and see who has more grip on this car to lay down a marker

Alonso in 10th trying to battle his way and catching up with Kimi who out qualified him

Vettel coming through the field (see what kind of mettle he has) 

The reest of the mercedes powered cars (Mclaren , FI and Williams ) battling it out in a ding dong affair with a Kimi in the mix

too many variables …am looking forward to this one. Just hope no crashes and we see a clean race. this is going to be good

#34 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:57

This has the makings of a good race (potential classic)

Nico vs Lewis and see who has more grip on this car to lay down a marker

Alonso in 10th trying to battle his way and catching up with Kimi who out qualified him

Vettel coming through the field (see what kind of mettle he has) 

The reest of the mercedes powered cars (Mclaren , FI and Williams ) battling it out in a ding dong affair with a Kimi in the mix

too many variables …am looking forward to this one. Just hope no crashes and we see a clean race. this is going to be good

You forgot Ricciardo, who clearly had pace on Vettel thus far this weekend.

#35 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:58

:lol:

Well, Bernie wouldn't moan about it if he didn't see that he won't get as much money as he'd like to.

#36 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

You forgot Ricciardo, who clearly had pace on Vettel thus far this weekend.

yep him too……not too mention hulkenberg who we can say based on his team mate being further up the grid is also out of position.

some drivers can make a name for themselves today

#37 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

OT,

http://www.mirror.co...-jackie-3380060

Many others notice the very same..

Jp

That jackie **** is trying to market his name by mixing with Prost and Clark  :down: 

RANT OVER

#38 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:00

put it this way, 

1. the flood lights really make the circuit come alive. all these tilke dromes have weird color schemes beside the track/run off areas which in day light looks ****. but under the light, with most of the surrounding covered in darkness, it makes it stand out. i'd say , i now like bahrain more over abu dhabi. (well that isn't saying much)

2. these new cars with their high torque and low grip has made racing on these tilke circuits better. i'd suspect racing in monza or spa this year would be boring as hell compared to the likes of korea or abu dhabi simply because the cars look more unsettled in technical sections (like T9/10 or T4)

3. never take bernie seriously. that's a rule of thumb. 

#39 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:04

Well, Bernie wouldn't moan about it if he didn't see that he won't get as much money as he'd like to.

Ofc he would, if he wanted to buy F1 cheap for example, or was in a power struggle with Todt.

Like you say, if it was just about the sound he wouldn't be saying anything because it would hit his earnings, therefore it's pretty clear he has some ulterior motive.

Advertisement

#40 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:09

OT,

That jackie **** is trying to market his name by mixing with Prost and Clark  :down: 

RANT OVER

That Jackie ****? Already an F1 legend has no need to market his name.

#41 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 480 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:16

OT,

RANT OVER

Thats Sir Jackie **** to you!

you ****

RANT OVER 

Sir John Young "JackieStewartOBE[2] (born 11 June 1939) is a British former Formula One racing driver from ScotlandNicknamed the "Flying Scot", he competed in Formula One between 1965 and 1973, winning three World Drivers' Championships. He also competed in Can-Am. In 2009 he was ranked fifth of the fifty greatest Formula One drivers of all time by journalist Kevin Eason who wrote: "He has not only emerged as a great driver, but one of the greatest figures of motor racing."[3]

He is well known in the United States as a color commentator (pundit) of racing television broadcasts for ABC's Wide World of Sports and ABC Sports, having worked in that role in the Indianapolis 500 from 1971 to 1981. He has also been a spokesman for FordRolex and Moët.

Between 1997 and 1999, in partnership with his son, Paul, he was team principal of the Stewart Grand Prix Formula One racing team.

Edited by mclarennut, 06 April 2014 - 12:18.

#42 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:17

That Jackie ****? Already an F1 legend has no need to market his name.

someone should tell him that ...  :o

he seems to be full of opinions/advises that nobody needs.

Edited by eronrules, 06 April 2014 - 12:21.

#43 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:19

Enough.

This thread is for discussing the GP.

#44 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:20

Hopefully Nico leads after the first lap. Then it'll be interesting to see Lewis try and reel him in. Should be a good race, especially if the field doesn't spread out too much. Here's hoping. 

#45 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:26

Hopefully Nico leads after the first lap. Then it'll be interesting to see Lewis try and reel him in. Should be a good race, especially if the field doesn't spread out too much. Here's hoping. 

Depends

What have merc discussed to control the contest

1st Corner

1st Pitstop

2nd Pitstop

Will they allow them to race, even McLaren and Ferrari allow that.

#46 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 480 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:36

Depends

What have merc discussed to control the contest

1st Corner

1st Pitstop

2nd Pitstop

I really hope so, I think after 40 plus laps if Lewis or Nico has not passed by then team orders mite come into it, I would say it would be impossible to stop two very good drivers racing each other if both of them has a chance for the win, both are sensible so I can not see them taking each other out, I do not think it will be a first bend race but more of a DRS zone race. 

I'm excited  :clap:

Edited by mclarennut, 06 April 2014 - 12:39.

#47 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:37

Bahrain has sometimes offered up some decent races, while others have been real snooze inducing. Let's hope this year's edition is one of the former category; with a decent fight for P3 looking likely, and some of the big names starting in the mid-field, there could be some worthwhile action all throughout the race.

It is apparently a bit out of fashion this year for F1 press to talk about the continuing controversy that also affected earlier races here, but I suppose it'd be fair to hope the day passes without any incidents on either side of the 'Formula Blood' debate.

I suppose the second attempt of both drivers in the last qualifying yesterday suggests that there is some room for racing. :)

Edited by Nonesuch, 06 April 2014 - 12:37.

#48 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:39

Hopefully Red Bull can put and end to this borefest and turn up with a decent car.

#49 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 480 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:44

Hopefully Red Bull can put and end to this borefest and turn up with a decent car.

I will be amazed if the RedBull car pass many of the Merc engine powered cars, Bahrain has so many straights so DRS and a slow engine could really hurt them here...

#50 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:45

oh the irony ...  :p  how the fortunes have changed in mere 7 months  :lol:

last few years, those bolded parts would've been mutually exclusive.  :smoking:

Edited by eronrules, 06 April 2014 - 12:47.