- - - - -

DRS - a relic of yesteryear

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:15

In the new digital age of F1, with new PU, new aero, new ERS - why do we need DRS?

DRS was shoehorned in to relieve the boredom of processional racing, it was born during an engine freeze era when the only changes permitted were through aero, but since it's introduction into F1 the racing has changed dramtically

They won't remove DRS, but it's always struck me as being unnecessary. I don't mid ERS push to pass, the PU's are in development/improvement for 2015 onwards...the aero is always changing

Time to chuck out DRS??

Advertisement

#2 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:18

Keep DRS but let the drivers use it whenever they want.

#3 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:19

I agree.

#4 peroa

peroa

• 10,779 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:20

DRS must go as soon as possible.

#5 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:30

Time to chuck out DRS??

No. Free it. DRS as a concept is a great system, the problem is that it's a spec-part with no excitement or challenge to it whatsoever.

#6 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,129 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:32

Keep it.

#7 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:00

Remove it, reduce and simplify front wings.

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:04

Time to chuck out DRS??

Poll required. Also, free likes for anyone against DRS. :p

#9 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:22

Poll required. Also, free likes for anyone against DRS. :p

I basically just like any comment I see that's slagging off F1 these days.

That said, today's race was really good, mostly.

#10 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:35

Remove it, reduce and simplify front wings.

Freeze front wings! The amount of detail and money they spend is getting ridiculous.

#11 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:39

DRS should be gone. It's too often a free pass and generally negates the skill in passing and makes defence redundant. There are some tracks where it should never ever have been used- Spa, Montreal, Silverstone, INterlagos (and the rest!).

#12 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:49

Relic? More like disgrace...

#13 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:51

Freeze front wings! The amount of detail and money they spend is getting ridiculous.

Not to mention ugly. Next year everything will be better. How many times have we heard that before?

#14 fdspd

fdspd

• 100 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:04

I think like the ERS boost, DRS usage should also be limited to a few seconds per lap and the drivers be given freedom to use it where they want.

#15 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:09

It's interesting to see the responses in this thread, until now I was sure DRS was widely loved on this forum.

#16 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:09

Get rid of it, or free it completely so that any car can use it when they like. I don't mind which.

DRS is simply way too powerful. Even in today's race, which a lot of people enjoyed, for me there were way too many 'passes' that we're done and dusted before the braking zone with the flap wide open.

One car driving past another isn't the same as racing for me.

#17 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:21

One could argue that the Rosberg-Hamilton battle today wouldn't have been as exciting or close without DRS.

#18 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:12

Keep DRS but let the drivers use it whenever they want.

I second that.

OR as a push to pas system, free to use 10 times per race (and totally free in qualifying).

#19 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:27

I second that.
OR as a push to pas system, free to use 10 times per race (and totally free in qualifying).

Or, keep the fuel limit, but ditch the fuel flow limit, and let them push the engine revs and fuel allowance as much as they can, as many times as they want.

Advertisement

#20 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,692 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:41

DRS should be gone. It's too often a free pass and generally negates the skill in passing and makes defence redundant. There are some tracks where it should never ever have been used- Spa, Montreal, Silverstone, INterlagos (and the rest!).

I dunno. Look at Bahrain, without DRS the only passes we would see would be Mercs on Renaults or Ferrari's. Itd be nowhere near as exciting as it was. 

#21 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 20:42

One semi-close race does not equal the end of the era of aero dependant F1 cars...

DRS has been awful because it has removed almost all defensive driving from the sport, but just dropping it now when they've shown time and again that nobody wants to fix the rest of the aero on the cars would be just as bad for the sport.

We have been left with the options of fake passing or no passing, pick your poison.

#22 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 21:53

One could argue that the Rosberg-Hamilton battle today wouldn't have been as exciting or close without DRS.

I would have been disappointed if Hamilton had lost, because DRS was artificially hindering him. He was pulling away, only for Rosberg to open the DRS and get right back on to his rear wing. If DRS didn't exist, Rosberg would have fallen away. It's a flawed system. I'd rather do away with it and have fewer passes. To me the concept seems inherently unfair.

#23 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 23:42

I thought the DRS was to make up for a car being unable to get close to the one in front due to the turbulent air, so as to compensate the following car. If the zones are right I'm not against it - I don't think it was too bad in Bahrain - there were lots of times that a train of cars had DRS open and yet the car in front on the train without DRS could hold the lead. Its not perfect but it was an easy, cheap solution to the problem.

#24 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:25

It they want to have overtaking aids, just go to IndyCar style push-to-pass. You can use it for overtaking as well as for defending but not for unlimited times.

#25 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:29

Get rid of this nonsense.

#26 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 1,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:43

I would have been disappointed if Hamilton had lost, because DRS was artificially hindering him. He was pulling away, only for Rosberg to open the DRS and get right back on to his rear wing. If DRS didn't exist, Rosberg would have fallen away. It's a flawed system. I'd rather do away with it and have fewer passes. To me the concept seems inherently unfair.

No, that is wrong.

Hamilton was pulling away, because Rosberg could not follow Hamilton closely through the corners, due to the aerodynamic characteristics of the cars. The car following will always be at a disadvantage.

DRS just evens out that disadvantage.

#27 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:19

Charlie Whiting loves it, so DRS is here to stay.

I hate the system. Watch any Canadian GP and see how DRS is way overpowered. It is so hard to get right and it is used on tracks where it shouldn't. Spa, Monza shouldn't have it.

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:50

DRS has been awful because it has removed almost all defensive driving from the sport

This hasn't ever been true. For every blow-by pass, we get a mere 'overtaking opportunity'.

If anything, DRS has allowed drivers to flex their defensive driving skills more than ever. Before, all you basically had to do was get a decent exit out of a corner and the car behind wouldn't get close.

Personally, I'd like to see DRS in GP2. Its too qualifying/start dependent at the moment.

Charlie Whiting loves it, so DRS is here to stay.

I hate the system. Watch any Canadian GP and see how DRS is way overpowered. It is so hard to get right and it is used on tracks where it shouldn't. Spa, Monza shouldn't have it.

I wouldn't say those tracks shouldn't have it, but they should put the zones elsewhere to create additional overtaking opportunities as the obvious ones don't need it.

Edited by Seanspeed, 08 April 2014 - 11:54.

#29 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,802 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:03

DRS is just another drop in the endless sea of gimmicks that has been introduced since 2003 to "improve the show"

If you want real competition free up engine development and get rid of tyre, fuel and component saving.

Too bad it will never happen.

#30 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,093 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:41

Sounds like everybody above wants to go back to the days of processional races and 1 or 2 overtakes per race. DRS isn't perfect, but it's way better than the alternative.

Things were bad in the 2000's. It still makes me laugh hearing about the 'amazing' Schumacher and Hakkinen overtake at Spa in 2000. There was so little action back then, that move was blown all out of proportion. Give me 15 DRS overtakes in one race any day of the week rather than one unassisted one per year.

#31 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:42

I've been against it but I like the idea of its use being completely free. It would add an extra element of skill for the drivers, for instance in gentle flat out curves (I know we have less of them this year with the reduction in downforce), they may want to try opening the flap through there, for extra speed, and coming off any corner the driver who can get his car sufficiently under control enough to open the DRS without crashing will be at an advantage. Would also make the cars more aero efficient over a lap as a whole, fitting in with the whole energy efficiency thing.

#32 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:31

I'd like to see it truly tied to the distance to the car in front throughout the lap, for it to be usable on any straight and for it to close as soon as they pull out from behind to make a pass. I find it hard to believe in the technological world of F1 that this isn't possible (what about something similar to parking sensors?).

Edited by Fourjays, 08 April 2014 - 13:33.

#33 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:32

DRS is ok, to be honest all the cars should have moveable wings, but this is the closest we can get.That or change the areo rules to reduce downforce/increase slip streaming?

I think maybe reduce the DRS zones, and never have more than one, reign it in a bit. But at the moment it doesn't seem OTT. I mean if Rosberg can't get past Hamilton with it then it can't be that much of an advantage.

It also stops the processions we saw before DRS, I remember watching Silverstone I think, and every car from 1 to 10 was line asturn about 1 to 1.5 seconds behind each other lap after lap. I thought it was dire and that they should do something about it.

I completely understand the purists though, it is gimmicky but it does allow closer racing where areo is king.

Edited by Retrofly, 08 April 2014 - 13:33.

#34 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 1,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:34

I've been against it but I like the idea of its use being completely free. It would add an extra element of skill for the drivers,

No it wouldn't. The car in front would just have to open his DRS every time the following car opens their's. No skill to that. And no overtaking in the process.

#35 sock22

sock22

• 408 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:39

Bahrain was an example of DRS working well to enhance the quality of the race. There's definitely scope to keep it. However, I think they should trial removing it at certain races, particularly Canada and Spa where it has been overpowered.

#36 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,631 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 14:32

At the risk of taking a beating with my first post here...... Whilst I've always found DRS has made passing ridiculously easy it's clear something had to implimented, with the current aero regs making it far too difficult for the following driver to get close enough at the majority of circuits. Interesting to read a lot of posts here suggesting drivers should have free use of the system.

I was thinking about this the other day and thought would it be a better system if each driver was limited to use his DRS maybe 3-5 times during a single race? I'm sure some of you guys will be able to pick many holes in this concept but to me I'd like to see a driver/team have to decide when it's best to use the DRS rather than every single time they cruise up to the back of the guy in front. You may then have drivers forced into a situation where they've used up their allocated DRS passes and have to fight tooth and nail to overtake or where a smarter driver holds his final pass back as he anticipates a fight in the closing stages of the race.

#37 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 14:38

Sounds like everybody above wants to go back to the days of processional races and 1 or 2 overtakes per race. DRS isn't perfect, but it's way better than the alternative.

Things were bad in the 2000's. It still makes me laugh hearing about the 'amazing' Schumacher and Hakkinen overtake at Spa in 2000. There was so little action back then, that move was blown all out of proportion. Give me 15 DRS overtakes in one race any day of the week rather than one unassisted one per year.

Not this again.

So if you hate DRS, you love processional racing? Come on, you know that isn't true. The tires are a big factor, but DRS is preventing overtakes in not so common places. My F1 heart scratches everytime I see a DRS-flyby. Rosberg could keep up with Hamilton last race due to a free 0,5s advantage on the straights.

#38 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:00

Ban it. This year's cars are not Scalextric cars – drivers will be passing down to Mirabeau and lifting through Eau Rouge – so there would be plenty of overtaking anyway.

#39 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:03

I thought the balance of the DRS and the overtake settings this weekend was absolutely perfect, get it like that every week and I'll be very happy.

DRS was only really powerful enough to get you an overtaking position, not to make the overtake.

Advertisement

#40 PedroBR

PedroBR

• 235 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:17

With current aero-concept without DRS there wont be much overtaking. As soon as you get close to the car in front the tires and the engine overheats and you lose a ton of downforce.

#41 PedroBR

PedroBR

• 235 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:19

No, that is wrong.

Hamilton was pulling away, because Rosberg could not follow Hamilton closely through the corners, due to the aerodynamic characteristics of the cars. The car following will always be at a disadvantage.

DRS just evens out that disadvantage.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

#42 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,713 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:02

I'm a convert tbh, it does a necessary job and I've heard no viable alternative yet,

#43 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 19:30

Or, keep the fuel limit, but ditch the fuel flow limit, and let them push the engine revs and fuel allowance as much as they can, as many times as they want.

I agree, but that's a separate issue :)

Qualifying would be interesting, BTW :)

#44 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 20:13

Get rid it of it, it's too artificial.

#45 paipa

paipa

• 936 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:50

No. Free it. DRS as a concept is a great system, the problem is that it's a spec-part with no excitement or challenge to it whatsoever.

I agree. If they are talking about fuel efficiency so much they should keep DRS but allow everyone to use it anytime. I wouldn't mind a driver adjustable closed angle setting either, since if it's a movable part anyway drivers may as well use it to tune balance in-race. What happened to adjustable front wings, by the way?

#46 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 1,050 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:58

I agree. If they are talking about fuel efficiency so much they should keep DRS but allow everyone to use it anytime.

What would be the sense in that? Each and every time the following car attempts a pass with DRS open, the leading car will also open their's. Why exactly would we then still need DRS? 

Why do you think it will make good racing when the leading car is given an advantage over the following car?

#47 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:08

Man, **** DRS.

Or maybe keep it for circuits like Sakhir, Yas Marina, Yeongam, Buddh, Sochi.

**** those circuits.

#48 paipa

paipa

• 936 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:19

What would be the sense in that? Each and every time the following car attempts a pass with DRS open, the leading car will also open their's. Why exactly would we then still need DRS? 

Why do you think it will make good racing when the leading car is given an advantage over the following car?

I think you misunderstood me. I'm with the anti-DRS guys in the sense that I don't like its push-to-pass nature. I'm all against giving this advantage to the following car.

However, drag reduction itself makes a lot of sense. A fuel-conscious formula should allow shedding unnecessary drag on straights, so drivers can put their fuel to better use than generating extra turbulence behind themselves. I think DRS is cool because of its clever "green" nature and not because I like the easier overtakes it facilitates with the current regulations.

#49 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:25

I love DRS when my guy is trying to pass. When my favorite driver is defending I hate it.

#50 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 1,050 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:28

I think you misunderstood me. I'm with the anti-DRS guys in the sense that I don't like its push-to-pass nature. I'm all against giving this advantage to the following car.

However, drag reduction itself makes a lot of sense. A fuel-conscious formula should allow shedding unnecessary drag on straights, so drivers can put their fuel to better use than generating extra turbulence behind themselves. I think DRS is cool because of its clever "green" nature and not because I like the easier overtakes it facilitates with the current regulations.

DRS is not an advantage. It evens out the disadvantage caused by current car aerodynamics.

Why on earth would anybody watch a sport, where certain drivers are given advantages depending on track positions? That would be absurd.