* * * * * 3 votes

2 new teams in F1 in 2015

• Please log in to reply
611 replies to this topic

#601 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 53 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 18:20

Maybe Haas isn't as crazy as some have suggested.

Advertisement

#602 BRG

BRG

• 11,588 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 19:06

If Haas is to be so close to Ferrari, why are they setting up a base in the UK, rather than near Maranello?

#603 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,188 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 19:23

If Haas is to be so close to Ferrari, why are they setting up a base in the UK, rather than near Maranello?

Did you not follow the discussion from the beginning? Establishing a team anywhere but a stone-throw away from Milton Keynes will mark you out for disaster from which you can never recover, Haas MUST set up in UK if they want to make any impact on F1 as we know it.

:cool:

#604 Anja

Anja

• 512 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 19:28

I don't suppose he'll want to serve as a second Ferrari team forever. I imagine the long-term plan would be to benefit from that cooperation at first for a proper start and slowly gain own strength over time.

#605 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,172 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 19:39

Good point. It must depend on how close and how long this partnership is meant to be. If we're talking something similar to the old McLaren/Force India deal, which saw staff along with technology transferred, than one would think they would be better off based near Maranello. That would also locate them near to Dallara, who are meant to be designing their initial racing cars.

#606 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 440 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 21:28

Good news I suppose, at least it seems like one of the entries is becoming a reality.

And, I guess it won't belong before this thread will have to split between the Haas and the Forza Rossa camps.

#607 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,604 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 21:32

Bigger recruitment base of unemployed ex-F1 locals than in Italy. Also, they speak English in the UK.

Edited by noikeee, 03 September 2014 - 21:32.

#608 aguri

aguri

• 216 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 23:46

Hope we see some Ferrari connected talent at Haas. Pat Fry at TD would be a good start. Potentially Bianchi and/or Marciello in a race seat as well.  

Getting good people on board early will be instrumental to Haas making into the mid-field quickly. He doesn't strike me as the type of bloke who is prepared to spend 4 seasons trying to catch Sauber and TR like Marussia and Caterham have. 

#609 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 612 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 00:34

Wasn't there huge tax penalties if they set up shop in Italy?

Great news with a good solid foundation. Down side- I don't want SF to tell Haas how to run his show if they become Ferrari jr. Good staring point none the less.

Button/ Rossi in '16?

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 04 September 2014 - 00:49.

#610 loki

loki

• 2,030 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:49

This was covered earlier this year.  Haas was looking to put the European base in Milano, close to the airport.  (great Ferrari swag store in the airport, BTW) As stated in the post above, the tax implications were not advantageous.    From Forbes in June http://www.forbes.co...oin-f1-in-2016/  explaining the decision to delay until 2016. (emphasis mine)

“We had a timetable and it seemed that all the events were being delayed, for whatever reason, by a month or so,” he says. “The final delay was that we were planning on opening a shop in Milan and then it came back from accountants that you can’t really have a presence in Milan because that will cause a tax presence so it just started getting convoluted. We decided that it would be better to be 100% sure we are going to make the race rather than scramble and not make the race.”

The Ferrari tie up has been expected for several months.  I doubt there were ever any other serious contenders.

#611 loki

loki

• 2,030 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:01

Wasn't there huge tax penalties if they set up shop in Italy?

Great news with a good solid foundation. Down side- I don't want SF to tell Haas how to run his show if they become Ferrari jr. Good staring point none the less.

Button/ Rossi in '16?

Haas didn't get to where he is by allowing people to tell him what to do.  I'm sure he'll defer to other's judgment when needed and make decisions based on that.  Much in the way he's allowed Stewart ,Zippy and Custer to run the NASCAR team.  At one time he was told it was insane to start and keep the tool company in California with the taxes and all be it's grown to be the second largest provider of CNC tools in the world.  If anyone can make this work he can. 

I've thought as well about either a Button/Rossi combo or a Bianchi/Rossi combo.  I don't know that Button would want to go to Haas though his experience could be invaluable and it would be a great way for him to wind up his driving days.  i don't see him having a shot at a car for another WDC.  Bianchi probably makes more sense from both the Ferrari tie in and a younger, more affordable driver to help develop the team.  Ferrari could park him there for a year or two until a seat opens up in Maranello. Either way I think it's a good bet we'll see Rossi in the car as Haas has stated he wants a young US driver and they had some talks over the last month or so according to reports.  The involvement of both Haas and Rossi could do a lot to pique the interest of race fans in the US toward F1.

#612 loki

loki

• 2,030 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:07

Also, they speak English in the UK.

Yeah, but not the right kind like we speak over here...

:stoned:  :wave:  :kiss: