* * * * * 3 votes

2 new teams in F1 in 2015

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#51 Owen

Owen

• 10,443 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:55

The Americans are coming to f1 then. Hope this works out better than last time.

Advertisement

#52 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,538 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:12

There goes the neighbourhood...

#53 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,094 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:23

If Haas comes in will they be based on the US or somewhere in Europe?

:cool:

#54 Murl

Murl

• 274 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:44

Brawn (OK, that's cheating, I know!)

Trying to think who was the most competitve new team before Sauber. Wolf?

Toleman/Benetton

(sorry, forgot about Jordan, sorry Eddie)

Edited by Murl, 11 April 2014 - 10:48.

#55 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 252 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:02

Wonder if they will take Rossi as a driver then. Any american NASCAR or Indycar drivers who could take the step up?

#56 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,880 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:26

If Haas comes in will they be based on the US or somewhere in Europe?

Think the whole point was that they'd be American-based, so (a) definitely ;)

#57 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:31

Call me cynical but I don't Kolles making it to the grid. Yes the Bernie/FIA will be more than happy to take his €500 000 evaluation fee which I presume is non returnable. I just don't see the Romanian funding materialising to the extent that they cab design and manufacture the chassis and pay for a power train.

#58 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,094 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:45

Throwing numbers around I would say you need minimum Usd 70 million to get a team of the ground and battling at a Marrusia / Caterham level. Every year same amount and unless re-invent fire remain at the rear of the field getting not true return on the investment. A team could opt for the Enstone model of spending upwards Usd 150 million per year they do not have, build an increasingly large pile of debt and eventually (I predict) crash out of the sport.

Who ever comes in need to realize the immense effort needed to be a successful F1 team, of the names bandied about I have more faith in Haas than Stefan and Kolles I see as a very able and capable man who does know F1, but at best the Dacia entry will be a perpetual HRT clone.

#59 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,765 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:13

Gene Haas has been granted a new team entry for F1 by the FIA. Full story soon

EDIT: Story at http://www.autosport...t.php/id/113401

Advertisement

#60 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:37

Well done to Haas. On a related note Cosworth have opened up an office in Defrost and are actively trying to poach staff from Brixworth. Can you see where I am going with this.........

#61 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:38

Given that Kolles is backed by Romanian money - how about Dacia?

:p

which is technically renault ...  :p

here's a thought about new manufacturers, why don't Chevrolet come to F1??? they have  a very good 'Turbo Motor' in indycar ATM. do some fettling, add a ERS system and you're good to go in F1. Honda must've had some useful info regarding turbo engines from there Indy involvement. 

#62 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,094 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:40

Good for Haas, good for F1 there is no mentioning of engine which I take to mean still negotiating with a manufacturer or bringing a new one in possibly as a badge of a Cosworth.

#63 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,230 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:41

Welcome aboard Gene. Please give it your all.

#64 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,861 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:47

As the owner of the world's largest CNC company and a full scale wind tunnel (with F1 teams as customers), Haas is infinitely better equipped than the likes of HRT. Assuming he has money to burn, he needs to attract experienced personnel next.

#65 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,607 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:49

As long as Peter Windsor isn't given any kind of meaningful position, I think Haas will be juuuuust fine. :up:

Edited by UPRC, 11 April 2014 - 16:51.

#66 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:53

As long as Peter Windsor isn't given any kind of meaningful position, I think Haas will be juuuuust fine. :up:

well ... he does have a lot of experience in the business, and one of the few 'maricans in the business. 

#67 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:54

And Haas will likely be able to draw a lot of corporate funds from American sponsors - could very well see companies like Google, Oracle, etc. sponsoring him.

#68 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:56

Well good to have another team on the grid. I hope that Haas can be a bit more than a backmarker after its formative years, but that would depend on how much money Gene will throw into the operation. I presume he won't be spending too much of his money on it, as you don't stay rich for long funding a racing team.

#69 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,711 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:58

All the best to Haas. It's a big mountain to climb.

#70 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 170 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:18

that's good news. We need more teams in F1 and having a US team will add to it being a true world championship, no matter where they're based. It's been a long time since we heard the American anthem played in F1, mind you I suspect we'll still be waiting a while yet. Good luck to them and whoever the second new team is

#71 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:20

I think he haas a chance to do it.

#72 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,651 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:23

And Haas will likely be able to draw a lot of corporate funds from American sponsors - could very well see companies like Google, Oracle, etc. sponsoring him.

This was a fatal error Peter Windsor made with USF1. Haas cannot afford to be under such illusions in the given timeframe.

#73 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:28

They're going with Ferrari power units apparently. Would make every manufacturer have 3 clients, which is good I guess  

#74 loki

loki

• 1,985 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:00

Those companies do better marketing in other venures.  Haas is likely to do a B2B arrangement and the company is large enough it could be the primary sponsor of the team even after the startup period as well as some sponsorship from Windshear.  All speculation though on my part.

As for the post re: Chevy in F1, still not enough upside for the amount of money.  GM is about to take a multi billion dollar hit on the ignition recall and related lawsuits and may likely face charges for an alleged coverup and violation of US trade law.  They won't be getting into F1.  Even without the recall mess, the two largest GM markets are the US and China, neither one of which is effectively marketed to through F1.

#75 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,037 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:10

I do wish Gene Haas the best, I really do...but there is one concern I have.

I'm not entirely sure running an F1 team out of America is a great way of going about things. It'd be like running a NASCAR team out of the UK. Technically possible, but there is a good reason why it hasn't been done recently.

#76 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:11

This was a fatal error Peter Windsor made with USF1. Haas cannot afford to be under such illusions in the given timeframe.

Difference is USF1 made that assumption whilst the World economy was still recovering from the 2008 financial crisis.

Now, such companies that I have listed are cash-rich, and so are most big american corporates nowadays (for various reasons). It's not going to be easy, given F1's relatively low profile, but it could help increase F1's awareness if they do things right - and Haas is a savvy businessman.

#77 Anja

Anja

• 499 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:12

I'm not entirely sure running an F1 team out of America is a great way of going about things. It'd be like running a NASCAR team out of the UK. Technically possible, but there is a good reason why it hasn't been done recently.

The thing is, Haas already has some massive facilities in the US.

#78 Otaku

Otaku

• 469 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:15

As they are effectively NOT a current F1 team, are they allowed to test whatever and whenever they want till next season starts? What about the engines? If they are going to use Ferrari engines, are they allowed to test using one?

#79 cas422

cas422

• 66 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:17

I second this ... but unless they already have some work under their belts it's hard for me to see how they could be on the grid in March 2015. Seems like more than an 11 month project.

Advertisement

#80 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 427 posts

Great news.

I guess the US GP would be a perfect time for them to announce maybe a driver or title sponsor.

#81 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

They're going with Ferrari power units apparently. Would make every manufacturer have 3 clients, which is good I guess  

Why, though? They know Mercedes is destroying everyone - and they have a spot for 2015.

Those companies do better marketing in other venures.  Haas is likely to do a B2B arrangement and the company is large enough it could be the primary sponsor of the team even after the startup period as well as some sponsorship from Windshear.  All speculation though on my part.

As for the post re: Chevy in F1, still not enough upside for the amount of money.  GM is about to take a multi billion dollar hit on the ignition recall and related lawsuits and may likely face charges for an alleged coverup and violation of US trade law.  They won't be getting into F1.  Even without the recall mess, the two largest GM markets are the US and China, neither one of which is effectively marketed to through F1.

Like what? Google barely does any marketing. Oracle has what, the America's Cup and then who watches that? Both can reach out to a much bigger audience via F1. That applies more for Google than Oracle, given its consumer-oriented business. Google still has awareness issues with Android (barely anyone knows it's Google-engineered/owned) and could benefit from tying the brand up with an F1 team... or maybe Microsoft too, who knows (but they would have to dump Lotus). 

#82 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,037 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:22

The thing is, Haas already has some massive facilities in the US.

Facilities yes - but connections to F1 suppliers etc? I guess it is the logistical side of things I'm most concerned about.

Admittedly, US F1 had a lot of things wrong with it, but it didn't really help its cause by basing itself away from the F1 hub.

Hope to be proven wrong though. It'd definitely be good to have them on the grid. I wonder how long it'll take before speculation about the possibility of Danica Patrick in F1 starts.  ;)

Edited by JHSingo, 11 April 2014 - 18:22.

#83 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,641 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:25

Brawn (OK, that's cheating, I know!)

Trying to think who was the most competitve new team before Sauber. Wolf?

Jordan

#84 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:26

I will wait for the announcement on powertrain. Running with the Ferrari Power plant would not give them an advantage against the 2010 entrants.

#85 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 164 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:34

Wonder if they will take Rossi as a driver then. Any american NASCAR or Indycar drivers who could take the step up?

Marco Andretti maybe? 

#86 KavB

KavB

• 1,068 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:36

Hopefully they find some success without having to wait too long. Though I can imagine if they beat Caterham after a year or two then we could see Caterham exiting F1. 

Will be interesting to see who they pick as drivers. I wonder which route they'll go; hire two experienced drivers like Caterham did, one experienced driver and one pay driver like Marussia or two pay drivers like HRT opted for. 

#87 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 19:01

well ... he does have a lot of experience in the business, and one of the few 'maricans in the business. 

Would that be the Peter Windsor who was born in Reigate, Surrey and who now has Australian citizenship?

#88 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,304 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 19:09

This is great news. I hope they employ a mostly American staff. Normally I don't support teams for Nationalistic reasons, but the nouveau trend in F1 compels me to do so. :). Exciting stuff. Go Haas!

#89 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 20:00

From the FIA

3. New team selection process
Lastly, the FIA has launched a selection procedure for an additional F1 team(s), and applications of a high standard have been received. In close consultation with the CRH, the FIA has accepted the candidature of Haas Formula LLC and are in the process of conducting further investigations for Forza Rossa.

Who on earth is Forza Rossa? That doesn't sound like a very Romanian name to me... :confused:

#90 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 20:14

Forza Rossa? It smells like a Ferrari's customer team. I'm afraid they will try to put a new team that will back the idea of customer cars to make things happen.

#91 medeni73

medeni73

• 339 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 20:38

In article is Forza Rossa as second possible outfit evaluated and its official Ferrari dealer in Romania so I guess if they get in Ferrari will get one engine customer and one Toro Rosso ;)

#92 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 905 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 20:48

Interesting. But it will be a failure.  (the Haas thing) 

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 11 April 2014 - 20:49.

#93 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 20:55

I love how people can predict the future SealtheDiffuser ;-D

#94 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 1,786 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 21:27

I sincerely hope this Haas team won't be an other embarassement, and don't start with the small teams are the soul and core of F1 thing.

#95 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 22:18

Forza Rossa? It smells like a Ferrari's customer team. I'm afraid they will try to put a new team that will back the idea of customer cars to make things happen.

Sounds like the bastard child of Franz Tost and Vijay Mallya

#96 BiH

BiH

• 2,308 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 22:51

Isn't it bit late to announce it.

Unless they already started work, 2015 is just around the corner.

This could be USF1 all over again.

Based in North Carolina? Running Ferrari engine?

Maybe they are going to have chassis built by Dallara?

#97 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 546 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 23:18

Doesn't Haas have facilities somewhere in Belgium?

Gotta stay based in Europe.

Godspeed HaasF1

#98 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,037 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:19

Isn't it bit late to announce it.

Unless they already started work, 2015 is just around the corner.

Not really. Remember when the last batch of 'new' teams were confirmed. I'm pretty sure that was even later in the year, and three of them (just about) made it to the starting grid in 2010 in time.

If they are well organised, it'll be fine.

#99 Rjpscr

Rjpscr

• 33 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:51

Great news! finally having a US f1 team! was bummed when USF1 didn't take off. Hoping Haas will have good results in the future. :)  

Advertisement

#100 wonk123

wonk123

• 926 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:54

Interesting. But it will be a failure.  (the Haas thing) 

My prediction is diametrically opposed to yours! I think they will be a midfield team within 2 years, and will not finish last in the first year. I think it will take them 5 or 6 years to be a top 4 team.