* * * - - 5 votes

F1 Engine improvement proposals

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:26

The current F1 engine sound is a known problem, but how can we improve the show on the future? Present your proposals here.

I would like too see engines downsized to 1 liter V6. That alone should increase current revs from 10500 to well over 15000 rpm. Perhaps fuel allocation would need to be adjusted by a little. RPM limit can be removed as it is useless already now. This change would also bring the weight of the cars down due to torque decrease. Propably not the cheapest way to improve the show but would make engines more interesting technically and definitely better sounding.

Advertisement

#2 Asterion

Asterion

• 822 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:28

Why? The show is amazing lately.

Edited by Asterion, 07 April 2014 - 16:29.

#3 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:56

As with other 'how about we jerk our knees so hard we hit the ceiling' engine regulation change threads ... no.

#4 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:57

I propose we remind everyone that F1 is a sporting competition, not a TV show.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:58

I dunno, I think equalizing engine regulations between F1 and MotoGP could bring some new manufacturers into the sport.

#6 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:25

Why? The show is amazing lately.

Well, there may be no show at all if spectators are not interested in attending races.

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:28

Well, there may be no show at all if spectators are not interested in attending races.

For the record, I read this morning there was a record attendance of 31,000 in Bahrain.

#8 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:33

We just had one of the best races in years and people still want changes?

#9 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,083 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:43

There is nothing wrong with the sound of F1 this year. It is simply different from last year.

So its a bit quieter so what? Now instead of coming home with bleeding ear drums and a wierd banshee screaming noise ringing in your ears you go home able to hear, but more importantly you can hear whats going on with the power unit, turbos, harvesting etc.

The one thing I really love about this sport is that it is constantly changing, and no 2 cars from different eras sound, look or drive the same

#10 pdac

pdac

• 17,214 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:37

Well, the income from the spectators is about the only F1 revenue that does not go to Bernie's pockets. So as long as he can convince the tracks to hold the races he probably doesn't care if there are spectators present or not.

#11 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:11

And some say that F1 is not relevant and catchy and loveable. It is relevant for the whole of the automobile industry, and now even some fans and powerbrokers sound more and more like the new hybrid engines. They whine.  I say, don¨t change anything.

#12 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:50

The current F1 engine sound is a known problem, but how can we improve the show on the future? Present your proposals here.

A problem for whom?

Nothing wrong with the turbo sound. It seems that the people who complain about the "new" sound are the same that also cry about "restrictive" engine regulations.

But the first turbo era came about precisely because the engine regulations were less restrictive in the late 70's early 80's.

In fact if Turbos weren't outright banned by the F1 rule makers in 89, they would still be here, and many peoples precious v12/10/8's would never have had the renaissance they did after turbos put them out to pasture.

I wished people put up the same continual never ending whining over the double points issue that they do over the sound.

Maybe that level of complaining would get F1 to actually pay attention and change a rule that actually does real harm to the sport.

Edited by Wes350, 07 April 2014 - 19:51.

#13 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 20:04

There is nothing wrong with the sound of F1 this year. It is simply different from last year.

So its a bit quieter so what? Now instead of coming home with bleeding ear drums and a wierd banshee screaming noise ringing in your ears you go home able to hear, but more importantly you can hear whats going on with the power unit, turbos, harvesting etc.

The one thing I really love about this sport is that it is constantly changing, and no 2 cars from different eras sound, look or drive the same

It doesn't need to be screaming like on the old days and it won't because of the turbos. But it would certainly help if it did't sound like a moped. The step from 72 000 to 31 500 explosions in a minute is just too much to keep me excited about the technology. Actually, there is't now anything interesting about the low rpm power unit, except perhaps that it is pretty economical now. I kind of liked the original concept of Turbos returning, but at that point we were talking about turbos revving up to 15000 rpm.

It will be interesting to see though, how the current generation cars perform at Monza. Nico Rosberg suspected that they will reach 360 kph on the long straights there. I doubt that due to characteristics of the power unit. I think even 350 kph is out of reach.

#14 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 20:15

Nico Rosberg suspected that they will reach 360 kph on the long straights there. I doubt that due to characteristics of the power unit. I think even 350 kph is out of reach.

What characteristics would that be then?

#15 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:41

What characteristics would that be then?

As far as I have understood, power from energy recovery systems are used to accelerate car out of the corners. I doubt there is much energy left when the car is approaching its top speed. Therefore they have perhaps 700 hp available.

The wings won't be any smaller in Monza than they used to be. As far as I recall they needed something like 900 hp to achieve 360 kph.

#16 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 18:32

It is used to accelerate out of corners but only to fill in troughs in the torque curve I believe, I think there will be plenty to use on the straights, depending how the teams see fit to use it. Being fast on the straight will be a priority I would suspect. I think Nico has it about right.

#17 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 18:42

He is my proposal regarding the noise.

#18 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 19:02

these new cars might have abit less drag? no beam wing and smaller front wing, and they are waay torqueier :)

#19 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 19:12

I may not fully understand the power profile, but low end torque is way up - this is what squirts the cars out of corners. Power (not torque) is needed for top speed. The 2014 cars have less drag than last year's, so that helps. They tell us that full electric power is available for about 30 seconds per lap then, if exhausted, takes two laps or so to restore. So, if you blast out on to the long Monza straight you should have enough electric power (if you haven't used any so far) to hit a good top speed. It doesn't seem you could do it again the next time round, though.

In any case it should be very interesting.

Advertisement

#20 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 20:12

Actually, there is't now anything interesting about the low rpm power unit, except perhaps that it is pretty economical now.

Good grief man, you can't be serious? If you think the sound is rubbish, then I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

But apart from the sound, the technology is wonderfully fascinating! All the different manners in which the energy can flow... I assume the Mercedes turbo split didn't escape you? How are these things not fascinating?

These engines are undoubtedly some of the most sophisticated pieces of engineering that I've seen in along time (that was not a dare).

#21 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:00

I may not fully understand the power profile, but low end torque is way up - this is what squirts the cars out of corners. Power (not torque) is needed for top speed. The 2014 cars have less drag than last year's, so that helps. They tell us that full electric power is available for about 30 seconds per lap then, if exhausted, takes two laps or so to restore. So, if you blast out on to the long Monza straight you should have enough electric power (if you haven't used any so far) to hit a good top speed. It doesn't seem you could do it again the next time round, though.

In any case it should be very interesting.

I think it will actually be 3-4 laps to refill the ES to 4MJ.

However, the energy generated by the MGU-H can be directly channelled to the MGU-K. That is around 100hp/75kW. That means that the ES could be used to top up the power for 22s per lap, using only 1MJ of recovered braking energy, 44s per lap with the allowed 2MJ of recovery, and 88s with the allowed 4MJ of use from the ES. Since the Monza lap time is 80-85s, and some of the time the car won't be able to use the full 160hp of MGU-K burst I don't see it as a real issue.

#22 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:03

It is used to accelerate out of corners but only to fill in troughs in the torque curve I believe, I think there will be plenty to use on the straights, depending how the teams see fit to use it. Being fast on the straight will be a priority I would suspect. I think Nico has it about right.

The MGU-H can be used to ensure that there aren't any troughs - by spooling up the turbo. The amount energy to do this is unlimited by the regulations.

From slower corners, at least, the ICE will have more than sufficient power to accelerate the car on the traction limit without using the MGU-K.

#23 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 87 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:06

Brainwashed much?

The final 10 laps were interesting because of the safety car...  but calling it the best race in years  :eek:

#24 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:11

Please recall what according to you was the best dry race of recent years then.

#25 Murl

Murl

• 743 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:36

It doesn't need to be screaming like on the old days and it won't because of the turbos. But it would certainly help if it did't sound like a moped. The step from 72 000 to 31 500 explosions in a minute is just too much to keep me excited about the technology. Actually, there is't now anything interesting about the low rpm power unit, except perhaps that it is pretty economical now. I kind of liked the original concept of Turbos returning, but at that point we were talking about turbos revving up to 15000 rpm.

It will be interesting to see though, how the current generation cars perform at Monza. Nico Rosberg suspected that they will reach 360 kph on the long straights there. I doubt that due to characteristics of the power unit. I think even 350 kph is out of reach.

Moped?

The recent hi revving cars sound emasculated, no bass at all. Like sewing machines.

#26 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:43

One race means nothing. We had some exciting races in 2013 and the season was extremely boring and bad overall.