Mclaren and Red Bull in Legal dispute over Aero Staff

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:06

http://au.eurosport....404/story.shtml

Red Bull announced on Wednesday morning that Fallows would become its new aero chief, and that Peter Prodromou, who has agreed a deal to join McLaren, would begin a period of "gardening leave" before taking up his new post at the Woking team.

A spokesman for McLaren told AUTOSPORT that the team believed it had secured Fallows' services and had referred the situation to its legal team.

"Dan Fallows has a legally binding contract with McLaren, and the matter is now in the hands of our lawyers," said the spokesman.

Advertisement

#2 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:09

Ron is back  :cool:

#3 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:15

but what can they do if Fallows doesn't wanna go??? the best mclaren can achieve is not to have Fallows available to either team (if Fallows doesn't wanna go to Mclaren that is). 

on the other hand, if he decides to go, then there aint much RBR can do to hold him i'm afraid . kinda reminds me of the farce with button between williams and BAR. 

#4 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:18

The aim will to be to get a payout from Red Bull for breach of contract

#5 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:18

but what can they do if Fallows doesn't wanna go??? the best mclaren can achieve is not to have Fallows available to either team (if Fallows doesn't wanna go to Mclaren that is). 

on the other hand, if he decides to go, then there aint much RBR can do to hold him i'm afraid . kinda reminds me of the farce with button between williams and BAR. 

As has been suggested, they swap Fallows for an early start for Podromou.

#6 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,033 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:22

I really can't see him going to mclaren with that legal dispute hanging over him. If indeed there was a formal agreement between him and mclaren, then mcl is either entitled to put him on a gardening leave or compensation from redbull. 

#7 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:24

I dunno, he wanted to go to McLaren evidently.  If he's the right guy he'll work on his beloved aero wherever he is.   Or he might just want more money.

#8 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:25

Or a settlement that involves Podromu's gardening leave period being shortened significantly. 

#9 Mrlarsen

Mrlarsen

• 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:26

Keep him from building a better car for Red Bull, money isnt the factor here, both teams have lots of them.

#10 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:30

Question is,what made him change his mind after signing on the dotted line?...Shades of Button vs Williams vs Bar eh!

#11 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:32

meh ... whatever the outcome, i don't think it's gonna hamper RBR that much for it's 2015 challenger, one man doesn't make the CFD department. on the other hand, Peter won't be able to do much with 2015 Mclaren as it's already too late for that. it's gonna settle itself i guess. it'll stir some pot and then go quiet somehow.

besides, both teams have bigger issues ATM, like doing well in the actual race track against Merc onslaught.   :p

#12 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:33

Question is,what made him change his mind after signing on the dotted line?...Shades of Button vs Williams vs Bar eh!

A promotion it seems.

#13 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 1,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:33

And what contract may that be? Red Bull does not have a contract with McLaren.

#14 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:41

McLaren has a contract with Fallows. Red Bull would pay compensation for breaking that, if a court finds that he did so.

#15 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:05

Position/money offered by Red Bull I'd guess..

#16 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:13

McLaren has a contract with Fallows. Red Bull would pay compensation for breaking that, if a court finds that he did so.

They wouldn't directly.  The breach of contract claim is against Fallows, not RB.

RB would only be directly liable if they knew of Fallows contract and intentionally induced him to breach it.

RB may decide to pay on Fallows behalf, to secure his services/keep him happy.  But that would be RB's decision, not a court's.

#17 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:14

Position/money offered by Red Bull I'd guess..

Sounds like a dangerous game of bluff doesnt it? So effectively this Fallows fella was all along playing Red Bull against MacLaren!..nice one!! No wonder Ron is pi$$ed off! :p

#18 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,646 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:32

They wouldn't directly.  The breach of contract claim is against Fallows, not RB.

RB would only be directly liable if they knew of Fallows contract and intentionally induced him to breach it.

RB may decide to pay on Fallows behalf, to secure his services/keep him happy.  But that would be RB's decision, not a court's.

There is also the role of the FIA.

For Fallows to keep working with RBR they need to employ him. They know he has the McLaren contract, so If they employ him (irrelevant of they whether its directly or as pseudo-employee) then it would have serious repercussions on RBR as far as the FIA concerned.

It's a serious no-no.

#19 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:45

I thought the CRB was driver contracts only, not staff.

Did RBR know he had a McLaren contract?  McLaren may have announced he would be joining, but that isn't the same as having a contract.