Lewis Hamilton vs Nico Rosberg 2014 part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4005 replies to this topic

#3301 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:41

I don't think it's mind games, I think he just says what he thinks.  He thinks Rosberg was quicker at Bahrain and Spain (probably because he was) so he says so.

I took his reference to Rosberg's mental strength and what he can do about it to be around stuff on track, rather than off it.

Advertisement

#3302 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,198 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:59

I don't think it's mind games, I think he just says what he thinks. He thinks Rosberg was quicker at Bahrain and Spain (probably because he was) so he says so.

I took his reference to Rosberg's mental strength and what he can do about it to be around stuff on track, rather than off it.

Like wise. We saw how emotionally charged he was after the Spanish victory. From the cool down to the weighing to the green room.

He's too raw for mind games.

Edited by TomNokoe, 16 May 2014 - 11:59.

#3303 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,073 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:13

Like wise. We saw how emotionally charged he was after the Spanish victory. From the cool down to the weighing to the green room.

He's too raw for mind games.

You underestimate him.

#3304 SR388

SR388

• 3,773 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:53

You underestimate him.

It's amazing that there are still people foolish enough to do so.

#3305 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,198 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:12

You think so?! I can't see it! Maybe a few things here or there. On a somewhat related note, we haven't seen/heard him super super happy over team radio in ages, I assume he turns the thing off. Hopefully in Monaco we get some old style Lewis team radio after he crosses the line.

#3306 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:23

Nico to win the next race 'coz the Judge 13 said so.

Rosberg gets the Edge for Monaco

Lewis fans may well be concerned that his run opf race wins is about to come to an end. He was bettered by Rosberg in Monaco in 2013 and Nico now believes the testing this week has given him the edge he needs to win in Monte Carlo.

“The championship battle is very close and to re-gain the advantage at my home race would be fantastic, so I’ll be pushing harder than ever to make that happen,” says Rosberg. “I had a productive day of testing in Barcelona where we made some good progress with braking and starts: two areas that I feel are costing me time at the moment. Hopefully that will give me the extra edge next weekend. It should be an exciting weekend and I can’t wait to get started.”

Rosberg has been handicapped this year by his starts, and even when he beat Hamilton to pole in Bahrain, he was slow off the line and beaten to the first corner by his team mate.

The stereotypical view of the Mercedes drivers is that Lewis is the aggressive racer, ringing the neck out of his stallion, whilst Nico is a more a Prost like considered driver, who may benefit from more technical circuits.

The war of words between the fans of each of the Mercedes drivers will be settled for sure in just over a weeks time.

#3307 bauss

bauss

• 4,962 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:24

You think so?! I can't see it! Maybe a few things here or there. On a somewhat related note, we haven't seen/heard him super super happy over team radio in ages, I assume he turns the thing off. Hopefully in Monaco we get some old style Lewis team radio after he crosses the line.

I suspect you won't see him super super happy until he either wins the WDC or has a result that puts him virtually there... actually, given 2007, scratch that... only until he wins the WDC

#3308 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,073 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:26

Thejudge says the opposite of what I want to hear, I'm confident  :up:

Now all I need is Tom or Sennafan to pick against Lewis (I forget who it is who always picks against and is always wrong) and we're guaranteed a win  :clap:

#3309 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,073 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:27

I suspect you won't see him super super happy until he either wins the WDC or has a result that puts him virtually there... actually, given 2007, scratch that... only until he wins the WDC

Make that a 3x WDC

#3310 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,131 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:29

Now all I need is Tom or Sennafan to pick against Lewis (I forget who it is who always picks against and is always wrong) and we're guaranteed a win  :clap:

I picked Nico a few times this years, and Lewis beat him

So probably me

#3311 kedia990

kedia990

• 342 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:33

Rosberg gets the Edge for Monaco

Lewis fans may well be concerned that his run opf race wins is about to come to an end. He was bettered by Rosberg in Monaco in 2013 and Nico now believes the testing this week has given him the edge he needs to win in Monte Carlo.

“The championship battle is very close and to re-gain the advantage at my home race would be fantastic, so I’ll be pushing harder than ever to make that happen,” says Rosberg. “I had a productive day of testing in Barcelona where we made some good progress with braking and starts: two areas that I feel are costing me time at the moment. Hopefully that will give me the extra edge next weekend. It should be an exciting weekend and I can’t wait to get started.”

Rosberg has been handicapped this year by his starts, and even when he beat Hamilton to pole in Bahrain, he was slow off the line and beaten to the first corner by his team mate.

The stereotypical view of the Mercedes drivers is that Lewis is the aggressive racer, ringing the neck out of his stallion, whilst Nico is a more a Prost like considered driver, who may benefit from more technical circuits.

The war of words between the fans of each of the Mercedes drivers will be settled for sure in just over a weeks time.

There's so much sh1te in that one paragraph of nonsensical jibber-jabber... I don't even know why I took the effort to move my mouse all the way to the quote button and type this out. End/

#3312 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:33

He wont be super happy until he is leading the WDC by a comfortable margin 50+ points. He is more on the edge than ever as these sort of chances only come a few times in a drivers life and his goal is to win more than one WDC. He has up against Nico who is very fast and on his case all the time. It's not like he is in a team where he is number 1 driver like Vettel was during this WDC years. For Lewis to be as comfortable as Vettel was he would need to have Nico replaced by Heiki, have Wolf replaced by Brawn and Lauda replaced by Haug and of course be the teams offical number 1 driver. 

So long way to go for Lewis he needs to win the six next races to be happy till then banish the notion of him being super super happy 

Edited by ballow, 16 May 2014 - 13:36.

#3313 SR388

SR388

• 3,773 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:47

Make that a 3x WDC

The hammer is trying to get to Jimmie Johnson status:

Champion_Celebration_2013_181.jpg

He wants to be the British-American Jimmie Johnson.

Edited by SR388, 16 May 2014 - 13:48.

#3314 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,131 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:47

Who is Judge 13?

#3315 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,073 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:49

The hammer is trying to get to Jimmie Johnson status:

Champion_Celebration_2013_181.jpg

He wants to be the British-American Jimmie Johnson.

Please god, no. 

#3316 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,476 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:53

Who is Judge 13?

The daily mail of f1 blogs.

Edited by Diablobb81, 16 May 2014 - 13:53.

#3317 Mtom

Mtom

• 283 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:40

OFC the testing gave Nico some plus..especially considering Lewis did not have any normal test days so far...but he tested for pirelli and in rain yay :stoned:

#3318 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:46

OFC the testing gave Nico some plus..especially considering Lewis did not have any normal test days so far...but he tested for pirelli and in rain yay :stoned:

And also the testing that Lewis did was testing Nico's brake issues rather then sorting his own issues out...........

#3319 Glassheart

Glassheart

• 38 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:03

I think at the moment the only person who can beat Lewis is Lewis himself.

Advertisement

#3320 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 813 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:27

But if that happened, in some way he'd still be the winner. Right?

Right?

#3321 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,707 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:43

But if that happened, in some way he'd still be the winner. Right?

Right?

Hollowstar, you are becoming someone of a... mean person. In the right way!  :up:

#3322 bub

bub

• 2,036 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:49

Or bad luck.

And let's not forget that Rosberg out-qualified Hamilton in Bahrain. If Nico can do that again at the next race he has a great chance of winning.

#3323 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,198 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:52

Thejudge says the opposite of what I want to hear, I'm confident :up:

Now all I need is Tom or Sennafan to pick against Lewis (I forget who it is who always picks against and is always wrong) and we're guaranteed a win :clap:

I'm not very negative on the forum, but in private I doubt everything!!! I was bricking it pre-Australia because of lack of testing + no rain miles and after Q1 in Spain I was seriously depressed :lol: Lewis always surprises me, which is a good thing I guess! I always wonder as fans if we can appreciate how good he really is, after all the rollercoaster of emotions he puts us through

#3324 FNG

FNG

• 3,165 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:54

I'm surprised at people's total confidence that Lewis has the title in the bag and is handling Rosberg very easily. Has Hamilton got Rosberg covered so far? Yes, by much? No not really. Long season to go and I think things are going to get REALLY tense. If Rosberg beats Lewis next race I can bet Lewis will be talking to the team about sharing data and other things. One thing is for certain I applaud Merc for keeping this interesting and allowing these two to battle it out. This is going to be an epic season. I only hope DNF's don't decide it.

#3325 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 681 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:18

its gunna be close because of all the data sharing,and because thier only racing each other.lewis has beaten nico at tracks nico was supposed to better lewis at.and after monaco we have tracks lewis is super strong at.the only thing that worries me is merc saying they need to provide entertainment,to try and boost viewing figures.i wonder exactly what they have in mind.

#3326 Maaarsh

Maaarsh

• 481 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:30

You underestimate him.

Yep - we're talking about the guy who keeps saying Red Bull are quicker in the corners, and claimed he didn't know where they stood during pre-season testing. Safe to say he has this keeping the pressure off thing pretty licked.

Edited by Maaarsh, 16 May 2014 - 19:31.

#3327 Maaarsh

Maaarsh

• 481 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:33

What a load of rubbish that was. 'War of words will be settled' - Only if Lewis wins. If Nico wins he's still a mile behind in overall performance this year.

#3328 bauss

bauss

• 4,962 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:34

its gunna be close because of all the data sharing,and because thier only racing each other.lewis has beaten nico at tracks nico was supposed to better lewis at.and after monaco we have tracks lewis is super strong at.the only thing that worries me is merc saying they need to provide entertainment,to try and boost viewing figures.i wonder exactly what they have in mind.

YEA... I seriously hope they don't do nothing funny like try to make it close if they see LH running away with it.

The paranoid part of me eg wonders why both of LH's pitstops were much slower on sunday, plus the ill-handling car after a great friday practice.... for now, i'll bat those thoughts away..

but don't want to see stuff like that pile up in the coming races...

#3329 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,198 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:37

Misaligned steering spooked me

#3330 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:39

YEA... I seriously hope they don't do nothing funny like try to make it close if they see LH running away with it.

The paranoid part of me eg wonders why both of LH's pitstops were much slower on sunday, plus the ill-handling car after a great friday practice.... for now, i'll bat those thoughts away..

but don't want to see stuff like that pile up in the coming races...

Well I am with you, I havn't liked the testing regime.

Bahrain test, Rosberg was able to test setups whilst Lewis wasted time doing pirelli testing

Spain test, Lewis got rain and was also testing race starts for Nico, Totto even mentioned it was a special project.

Nico then tested race starts and braking.

I don't think they are want lewis to lose but I think they are trying to even the performance up.

#3331 Grundle

Grundle

• 692 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:06

Button seems to think Lewis is playing mind games on Nico. Also says Lewis played mind games on him. I think Button should stay quiet, he has nothing to back up his conjecture here.

http://www.dailymail...son-Button.html

#3332 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:15

Lewis could be playing mind games, but only off the track.

Lewis was coming across on the radio as too stressed, the on track battle is close.

What games did Lewis exactly play on Button? 

Edited by study, 17 May 2014 - 15:17.

#3333 paipa

paipa

• 237 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:23

Button seems to think Lewis is playing mind games on Nico. Also says Lewis played mind games on him. I think Button should stay quiet, he has nothing to back up his conjecture here.

The most interesting thing about this article is... what is JB in a McLaren-Mercedes overall doing with a 7er BMW in a sponsor advert.

#3334 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:24

Hehe, it's good if JB is identifying with Nico, but it's just a racing driver expressing his ego, same as Niki taking credit for Lewis' form.  In some ways they are all the same.

Anyway it's not mind games IMO, it's just Lewis being his usual confident, open self.  The subtext to saying Nico was faster, and that Lewis wants to break him mentally, is indeed a bit scary taken a certain way.  But it's just what genuinely is in his head at the time.  I feel sure Nico gets this, and always knew it was coming.

#3335 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 303 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:48

Ahh bless, He's just missing his old buddy is all, especially when he can't use him as a reference when his setup is not right.

Anyway I know it's been a week but I still like to know why Lewis two pitstops were so slow?

#3336 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 245 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:49

Anyway I know it's been a week but I still like to know why Lewis two pitstops were so slow?

Shit happens.

#3337 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:58

The time gained by Rosberg was the issue not the pitstops.

The pitstops were 1 second longer, to be honest I'd rather they not rush them just for the sake of it.

#3338 Mario5

Mario5

• 270 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 16:41

You underestimate him.

I don't think so.

#3339 Cult

Cult

• 419 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 16:46

The time gained by Rosberg was the issue not the pitstops.

The pitstops were 1 second longer, to be honest I'd rather they not rush them just for the sake of it.

Both pitstops together cost 2.8 seconds compared to Rosberg.

Advertisement

#3340 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,231 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 17:39

Oh goody. Another question put to a driver so that people can get their knickers in a twist about the answer.

#3341 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 17:53

Oh goody. Another question put to a driver so that people can get their knickers in a twist about the answer.

Hamilton shouldn't need to play 'mind games' with Rosberg, he is not as talented as Button was.  It would be waste of effort as he has Rosberg in his pocket.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 17 May 2014 - 17:58.

#3342 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,131 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 18:01

he is not as talented as Button was.

I have defended Button in other threads on this forum, but I have to disagree there.

In dry conditions where pure pace has been the deciding factor, Nico has been able to be quicker than Lewis a lot more often than Jenson was. In 2010 and 2012 combined you could probably count on one hand the amount of times Jenson was outright faster than Lewis over the course of a full race weekend. If Jenson finished ahead of Lewis, it was normally due to condition changes, better strategy or something going wrong with Lewis's car.

Nico in 2013 actually equaled Lewis in 2 car finishes. Most/All in dry conditions and in straight fights where nothing went wrong. Button might be more willing to gamble with strategy and better in mixed conditions over Nico. But in terms of raw pace, I would say Nico is quicker. Button might be more well rounded, but I would say Nico is a bit better driver by a small margin.

Edited by sennafan24, 17 May 2014 - 18:02.

#3343 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 18:24

The most interesting thing about this article is... what is JB in a McLaren-Mercedes overall doing with a 7er BMW in a sponsor advert.

I missed that ... my attention was on who was handling his helmet :cat:

article-2630481-1DC4D15100000578-265_306

Edited by jjcale, 17 May 2014 - 18:27.

#3344 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,707 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 18:35

I think...that the girl is not right for the famous jeans-ad with JJ's music ('Hey, baby...')

#3345 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 18:39

I have defended Button in other threads on this forum, but I have to disagree there.

In dry conditions where pure pace has been the deciding factor, Nico has been able to be quicker than Lewis a lot more often than Jenson was. In 2010 and 2012 combined you could probably count on one hand the amount of times Jenson was outright faster than Lewis over the course of a full race weekend. If Jenson finished ahead of Lewis, it was normally due to condition changes, better strategy or something going wrong with Lewis's car.

Nico in 2013 actually equaled Lewis in 2 car finishes. Most/All in dry conditions and in straight fights where nothing went wrong. Button might be more willing to gamble with strategy and better in mixed conditions over Nico. But in terms of raw pace, I would say Nico is quicker. Button might be more well rounded, but I would say Nico is a bit better driver by a small margin.

Button would have easily passed Hamilton in Bahrain.  Hamilton has no worries as long as Merc is giving him the preferred strategy and all he has to do is defend from late race 'pressure' from Rosberg.  Rosberg just is unable to pass.

#3346 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 774 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 18:47

Button would have easily passed Hamilton in Bahrain.  Hamilton has no worries as long as Merc is giving him the preferred strategy and all he has to do is defend from late race 'pressure' from Rosberg.  Rosberg just is unable to pass.

Hahaha!

#3347 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,296 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 18:52

Drivers all say some shit they don't mean, and some which they do. Didn't Hamilton say last year that he learned 'nothing' from JB through-out the time they were teammates? This year though, he sang a different tune, as JB hit a milestone. Why is Hamilton the only one who is considered to speak what's on his mind/ in his heart by some here? Everyone else is talentless, useless mind-gaming little so and so, especially if they're commenting about Hamilton.

About pitstops, when in lead better be sure, even if slow than losing a race because you made a mistake in a rush. Hamilton was never trailing Rosberg, and had enough lead for the team to not rush it. Pretty sure Hamilton has had better stops in races prior. Could someone post details from other 3 races where they both finished?

edit: Just noticed that before it was Whitmarsh and McLaren screwing Hamilton over... and now it is Mercedes, even when he has won 4 races in a row. May be it is just logical that some are paranoid? :stoned:

Edited by garagetinkerer, 17 May 2014 - 18:58.

#3348 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,131 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 19:00

Okay, lets take Spain, where there was no safety car to allow Nico to artificially close the gap to Lewis. Nico was able to get very close to Lewis. I do not think Button would be able to get as close as Nico was.

In fact, on pure pace, I do not believe that Button would have gotten any closer to Lewis in the previous 4 races than Nico has managed. Would Button passed Lewis at Bahrain? Maybe, but that would not have been on merit, as like I said, the safety car artificially closed the gap that Lewis had created.

Button at times would not be able to provide this "late race pressure" you speak of, as Nico is the faster driver in normal conditions. 

#3349 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,296 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 19:25

Okay, lets take Spain, where there was no safety car to allow Nico to artificially close the gap to Lewis. Nico was able to get very close to Lewis. I do not think Button would be able to get as close as Nico was.

In fact, on pure pace, I do not believe that Button would have gotten any closer to Lewis in the previous 4 races than Nico has managed. Would Button passed Lewis at Bahrain? Maybe, but that would not have been on merit, as like I said, the safety car artificially closed the gap that Lewis had created.

Button at times would not be able to provide this "late race pressure" you speak of, as Nico is the faster driver in normal conditions. 

Rosberg is good, and undeniably so. However, so is the car. Do you remember races of his against herr Schumacher? In 2012, most thought that Schumacher was able to properly keep up with him and even outdo him at certain tracks, and would have been much closer a teammate battle had Schumacher not had a lot of misfortune.

Do you want to take a look back at races when JB felt he had a car under him? Would you like to revisit those results? I think if any driver is comfortable in a certain car, they would extract a bit of performance out of it. No way of knowing what JB could do in this car, unless he sits in it. When he was comfortable with the car in 2012... at Oz he was spectacular, and so was at Spa. He was good at other tracks (Malaysia etc.) too, but mistakes cost him a fair bit. He wasn't so bad in either 2010 or 2011 as well..

So far Rosberg is doing not too shabbily... only that he could and perhaps should have done better. I don't know, it may just be that he just doesn't fancy being alongside Hamilton on track... Could be just that and he is being more careful than he perhaps should be. Of course bosses will get their knickers in a twist and then lube may or may not be applied when they bend over the driver(s). I think this may be it... but i could be wrong.

#3350 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,131 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 19:35

Do you want to take a look back at races when JB felt he had a car under him? Would you like to revisit those results? I think if any driver is comfortable in a certain car, they would extract a bit of performance out of it. No way of knowing what JB could do in this car, unless he sits in it. When he was comfortable with the car in 2012... at Oz he was spectacular, and so was at Spa. He was good at other tracks (Malaysia etc.) too, but mistakes cost him a fair bit. He wasn't so bad in either 2010 or 2011 as well..

2011 he was superb, he was outright a better driver than Lewis in the second half. 2010 he was outclassed by Lewis, other than in mixed conditions. In straight fights, Lewis would beat the vast majority of the time, hence why Lewis was ahead 10-4 in 2 car finishes that year.

Schumi was indeed stronger in 2012, and should have beaten Nico if luck was even (Schumi was ahead 7-3 in 2 car finishes, but Nico scored points when their was more pace in the car).  However, I am judging Nico and Jenson on their common opponent. Even in 2011, Lewis beat Jenson in qualifying 13-6, and in 2 car finishes in was 7-7. It becomes clear that Lewis was the quicker driver over the 3 years over Jenson. In 2013, Nico in pure pace was closer to Lewis than Jenson was in 2011,  (11-8 in qualifying, and 8-8 in 2 car finishes). 

Jenson did not have the "car under him" often enough to convince me that he is faster than Nico. I concede Jenson is more well rounded than Nico (better in mixed conditions and underrated in general), but in terms of pure pace, I think Nico is quicker.

Edited by sennafan24, 17 May 2014 - 19:37.