Photo

Gordon Bennett Cup races 1900-1905

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 April 2001 - 07:54

When The Atlas F1 Court opened its doors for the first time last January, I was the first to enter the courtroom. Not seeing any of the familiar faces there and looking at the next upcoming cases, which only went in time as far back as the seventies, I became saddened and presented then the court with the following question:

Were the six Gordon Bennett Cup races (1900-1905) important enough to be classified equal in standing to the Grand Prix, which followed from 1906 on, or should these six events remain alone as predecessor to the Grand Prix races?

I hope that this time around I will see familiar faces. The court will hear arguments about the Gordon-Bennett case in four days from now. See you there! :)

Advertisement

#2 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 April 2001 - 08:31

Whoever wants to visit The Atlas F1 Court before this Saturday, 14 April, might not immediately see case # 6 about the Gordon Bennett races. The reason for this is probably that the counter at the upper right of the page above the orange bar resets itself to 60 days. Every time I go there, I have to readjust the counter to at least 100 days to make the Gordon Bennett thread appear. This situation will of course change as soon as the hearings begin.

#3 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 April 2001 - 08:49

It all started with the Paris-Rouen Trial on 22 July 1894, organized by the journalist Pierre Giffard of Le Petit Journal, a judging-panel decided on the winner. At this contest all French motoring pioneers had been present. At year's end they had formed the Automobile Club de France - ACF -, which was to govern most major races in France until 1921.

The ACF decided to hold, the first major automobile race in 1895, Paris-Bordeaux-Paris. This race was divided in two categories: cars with at least four and only two persons. The first prize could only be won by a four-seater. Officially the Peugeot was the fastest four-seater but Levassor's two-seater was first at the finish and was therefore celebrated by the crowd as the winner; officially he received only the second prize. Nevertheless, the crowd knew only the winner Levassor.

Consequently, the following year in 1896, the race Paris-Marseille-Paris became the first true race, where the first at the finish was also the victor. The town-to-town races of the pioneering years ended with the tragic 1903 Paris-Madrid race, while the first race on a road circuit was held 1898 at Perigueux, run over one 90 mile lap. The first true closed-circuit race on roads took place in 1900 over two laps on the Course du Catalogue, a minor event.

In 1899, James Gordon Bennett, the propriator of the New York Herald office in Paris, offered the ACF a trophy to be raced for annually by the automobile clubs of the various countries. They had to choose their own teams of drivers and cars. This international challenge trophy race was held from 1900 to 1905.

(Excerpt from Leif Snellman's home page at http://www.kolumbus....ellman/gpw0.htm. Go to List Guidelines, then scroll to History.)

#4 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 10:20

Here is what I found about the events leading to the changeover from Gordon Bennett to Grand Prix. But I would like to hear everybody's comments and thoughts about this change.

The ACF introduced the Grand Prix in 1906 to replace the annual Gordon Bennett Cup race, which had taken place for six years. This truly international event had been the pinnacle in racing but the rules limited each country to be represented by only three cars. France alone had seven manufacturers of whom any could have been a winner and wanted a race where each factory could be represented by three cars.

Because the French auto industry became frustrated with these car-restricting Gordon Bennett Cup regulations, they voiced their concern during the 1904 Salon, the Paris Motor Show, saying that the limitation of three cars per nation was intolerable. They met with the Automobile Club de France and proposed to organize a race of their own, to be called the "Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France". Furthermore, this event should be run simultaneously with the 1905 Gordon Bennett Cup and would allow all competing firms to participate. Additionally they requested to hold this race thereafter every year and the ACF was not to take part in the Gordon Bennett Cup race unless the rules were revised.

The ACF replied that in 1905 an Eliminating race was to take place, as had been the case in 1904 and the first 15 cars would then qualify for the Grand Prix, organized by the ACF. Additionally, other countries were allowed to enter cars, three each for Austria, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and USA; six each for Germany and Great Britain; a minimum of 15 cars for France.

This triggered outrage, criticism and protests from all the competing Nations. The ACF then agreed to stage the 1905 Gordon Bennett Cup race to the existing rules and said the Grand Prix would take place two weeks later. They also made it quite clear that from 1906 on the Grand Prix was to take place and the limitation of cars permitted from each Nation would be reviewed.

The French manufacturers participated in the 1905 Eliminating race and the Cup race but refused to take part in the Grand Prix. Therefore the French postponed the Grand Prix until 1906. The French, British and Italian clubs did not challenge for the 1906 Gordon Bennett Cup race and this opened the way for the Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France.

To ensure that the Grand Prix would be the most important event in Europe, the ACF decided on a much longer race than the Gordon Bennett Cup, the Circuit des Ardennes, the Vanderbuilt Cup race or the Brescia race. The Grand Prix went anti-clockwise over 12 laps of the fast 103.18 km triangular Sarthe circuit outside Le Mans, run over two days a total of 1,238.16 km. Life was so easy going in 1906 that the organizers, L’Automobile-Club de l’Ouest, could choose Tuesday, 26 and Wednesday, 27 June for their great event.

I hope that this thread does not become a monologue or are all you guys already focused on who is going to win at San Marino?

#5 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 10:51

Hans

I would love to join you in this "case" or thread. I have all the relevant books - or most of them, anyway, but I just do not have the time to go through them all at this time.

Earning a living is occupying the bulk of my time, and my Jack Brabham research the rest.

But please continue. I am reading this with great interest (I MAKE the time to do this, at least).

#6 Flicker

Flicker

• 194 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 20:37

The Cup, which was not the cup...;)

Posted Image

In my humble opinion that competition have "overturned" the world of motor racing, in spite of the fact that it was very strange.
The organizers didn't want to organize it. The pilots wasn't greatly interested in it. Even the man whose name they were, didn't want to hear about it completely...
But, for sure, the G-B Cup was the competition which opened thr new era...

BTW, it seems to me that James G-B Sr. had never drived a car himself?!
(Luckily... he have a young and a bit crazy son...)

:)

#7 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 12 April 2001 - 07:51

My view of the Gordon Bennett Race is that the races were start of organzied racing events which would lend to the 1906 French GP but that the tread to move away from trail events to GP events.
Althrough the distances and the way the event was run with only so many drivers from counrty would end with the 1905 event but the strange fact is that the 1906 event would have been raced in france anyway with Leon Théry (Richard-Brasier). :stoned:

#8 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 14 April 2001 - 21:46

Flicker,
Thanks for showing the trophy picture, very nice contribution.

Everybody from TNF will hopefully visit the court, which is now in session. I just came from there after stating my point of view that the Gordon-Bennett races, held from 1900 to 1905, as a group of events, were of lesser importance than the Grand Prix events, which were run for the first time in 1906.

See you in court.

#9 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 18 April 2001 - 19:52

I'm of the view that the Gordon Bennett races were of equal importance to the later Grand Prix contests. Here's the way it all started:

The large number of potential competitors they had mustered for these [Gordon Bennett] races (24 in the 1905 trials) gave the French furiously to think. Representatives of the Gallic car makers huddled at the automobile salon at the end of 1904 and formulated a proposal to the A.C.F. It was that the Club should abandon its support of the Gordon Bennett race, which so constrained opportunities for French entries, and organise instead a Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France in which all firms entering would have an equal chance to win. The ‘prize’ would indeed be ‘grand’: a purse to the winner of 100,000 francs, equal to $19,400 or £4,000, put up by the publisher of L’Auto.

The proposal was adopted and preparations for the 1905 Grand Prix were begun as an adjunct to that year’s Gordon Bennett race – only to be suspended in response to a barrage of formal protests from all other interested nations. The 1906 Gordon Bennett race lapsed in the absence of any challenge to the French holders of the Trophy; it has never been revived although suggestions to that effect have been made from time to time.

Thus the first Grand Prix race was held one year late – in 1906 instead of 1905. Equality of opportunity was assured by limiting entrants to teams of no more than three cars. The French would, as expected, dominate in terms of entries and would even win the first Grand Prix. But they would not have things all their own way in the early years of G. P. racing.

#10 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 19 April 2001 - 02:56

Originally posted by karlcars
I'm of the view that the Gordon Bennett races were of equal importance to the later Grand Prix contests.....

Karl,
It would be swell, if you will make time to post your opposing view plus comments at the Gordon Bennett thread at “The Atlas F1 Court”. The judges will take into account only those arguments and evidence brought forth in the "Atlas F1 Court" itself. :)

#11 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 19 April 2001 - 21:10

The court closes this case after tomorrow, Friday, 20 April. Up until now there have been only three of us at the court plus the judge. :(

I cannot believe that only three people from TNF are interested in the heroic era. There should be more, as can be seen from a few additional posts in this thread plus you other silent guys. I know some of you lurkers and I would appreciate your support this time. All you have to do is voice your opinion one way or another. You don't have to write a dissertation. :)

I will count on you. See you in court. :D

Aloha!

#12 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 20 April 2001 - 18:34

Hans, I simply fail to see the point in this court thing! :confused:

#13 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 06:49

The Gordon-Bennett races should stand on their own. Just because these events promoted international competition does not justify them equal status or naming them equal to the Grand Prix. The predecessor to the Grand Prix could have only been the most important event of the year. This had been quite obviously the large annual Town-to-Town race from 1895 to 1903 and from 1904 to 1905 it was the Gordon-Bennett Cup.

The ACF had in the past attempted to include their Town-to-Town races as early editions of the French Grand Prix and they have failed to give these forerunners equal status. The ACF wanted to call those events the early Grand Prix de l'ACF, which was not acceptable because they attempted to change the title of those events subsequently many years later. In the same context, the last two Gordon-Bennett races will stand on their own as the most important events of 1904 and 1905, preceding the Grand Prix.

ACF City-to-City Races
1895….. Paris-Bordeaux-Paris
1896….. Paris-Marseille-Paris
1898….. Paris-Amsterdam-Paris
1899….. Tour de France
1900….. Paris-Toulouse-Paris
1901….. Paris-Berlin
1902….. Paris-Vienna
1903….. Paris-Madrid (ended at Bordeaux)

Gordon Bennett Cup Races
1900…. city-to-city…... Paris-Lyon
1901…. city-to-city…... Paris-Bordeaux
1902…. city-to-city…... Paris-Innsbruck
1903….. circuit……….... Athy, Ireland
1904….. circuit……….... Homburg
1905….. circuit……….... Auvergne

Grand Prix Races
1906….. circuit……….. Le Mans
1907….. circuit……….. Dieppe
1908….. circuit……….. Dieppe
1912….. circuit……….. Dieppe
1913….. circuit……….. Amiens
1914….. circuit……….. Lyon

#14 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 07:23

Hans
As you know, it was many years ago that I attempted the reserach you are now doing - at a time when there was far less information readily available.
However, I do remember that I came to the same conclusion as you have stated here, regarding the major race of each year.
I never rated those early Gordon Bennett races very highly because of the fact they had restricted entry and many of the major contenders of the time - cars and drivers, were unable to take part.

#15 Egon Thurner

Egon Thurner

• 305 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 07:50

Hans, the main question, when you started this thread, was:

Were the six Gordon Bennett Cup races (1900-1905) important enough to be classified equal in standing to the Grand Prix, which followed from 1906 on, or should these six events remain alone as predecessor to the Grand Prix races?

What kind of criteria you can take to decide:

a) own-to-town vs. circuit
You cannot compare the circuits of that years (about 1902 to 1906) with the circuits, let's say in the fifties. They had been very long, the Ardennes circuit f.e. 85 km, and there was no big difference in security of the spectators. The organizers really hadn't been able to close this circuits in effectiv way, al least for the first years. Spectators also had to learn, how to 'handle' that new form of racing. The only reason, why circuits had been installed by that times, had been the possibility for spectators to see their stars more than only one time and that they even could watch them winning - from the new grandstands. The Americans had real circuit races (horse tracks with one or two km) and so they had been able to make a good cash. So the change from town-to-town mode to the circuit is no argument to classify an event. That's just the changing of the time being.

b) Internationalism
To get a challenge from other countries for the french motor industry, that was one of the main reasons for Gordon Bennet to install his award. Until 1899 there had been no international races at all. Not even the Paris-Amsterdam-event you can call international, if you have a look at the entry list. But one of the criteria for main motor sport events surely has to be, that theese events are opened for all competitors worldwide (if they are organized in a motoring club - as nowadays). The races of the 'Coupe internationale' - as Gordon Bennet himself always called 'his' races, were open to three members of all accepted motoring clubs by that time.

b) number of entries or participants
If that would be an argument, you had to cick off a lot of 'Grand Prix' - especially in the twenties. And the restriction to only three members of each club also is no aspect, because with the years there had been installed the so called 'elimination trials' and anybody could take part, he just hat to qualify himself or his car within the best three and he had the ticket. That's only a form of qualifying, but no exclusion of anyone of the club's members. (well, the french had some problems in the beginning, finding a system for electing their drivers .... )

b) The high level formula
The french ACF-races (Grand Prix only in retrospect, as Hans already wrote) had been open to every little carlet (is that english?) and had classes for tricycles also. In a Grand Prix we do not find any classes, only the formula on the highest level. And the Gordon Bennet races invented this form of racing! That is the main argument in my oppinion.

So, now can build your own oppinion, if you do not have one already.

Hans, this topic is worth to discuss, but there is no chance to get any serious 'official result' in any sort of 'Court' . :p

#16 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 09:13

Originally posted by Egon Thurner
.....this topic is worth to discuss, but there is no chance to get any serious 'official result' in any sort of 'Court'.....

I know Egon,
nevertheless, we can have a good discussion and listen to different points of view. I enjoy that. :)

#17 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 14:58

I like Barry's comment here, those 'GB races' (can't we at least here call them by their proper name?) were rather poor competitions, when most of the leading constructors and drivers couldn't compete because they were French!

#18 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 08:29

Originally posted by fines
.....those 'GB races' (can't we at least here call them by their proper name?) .....

James Gordon Bennett had founded the New York Herald in 1835 and when he came to Paris, he produced the Paris edition in 1887. Not only was he eccentric and unpredictable but also extremely wealthy. He was not interested to make money with this Paris edition but had his editors instead produce stories to his liking only, disregarding public opinion. He insisted that his name was never to appear in his continental edition.

As founder member of the Automobile Club de France, James Gordon Bennett offered the ACF in 1899 a trophy for a race open to teams from any country, restricted to three cars per nation and stipulated that the cars had to be built entirely in the country they represented. Up to then the big races (city-to-city) had been a national affair amongst the many French manufacturers and Bennett foresaw the growth of automobile production in other countries.

The Paris Edition of the New York Herald did not report about the Gordon Bennett races and the reason for that was very simple because James Gordon Bennett had laid down the law never to have his name appear in his paper. Therefore his editors reported not about the Gordon Bennett race but instead described an international speed competition known as the Coupe Internationale. While every paper or magazine reported about the Gordon Bennett Cup or Coupe Gordon-Bennett, the Paris Herald wrote about the Coupe Internationale. James Gordon Bennett was not upset at all that the races carried his name.

#19 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 30 April 2001 - 07:57

The Gordon Bennett court case is over now, the verdict issued today. Someone requested that I place my race information, originally posted at the court thread, here as well. I hope that this post will suffice. :)

The first Gordon-Bennett race took place over 570 km from Paris to Lyon. Only five cars entered after the German refused to start out of protest because of the short notice given for an uncertain start. From 3 French, 1 Belgian and 1 American only two French cars managed to finish. It had taken the winner, Parisian Fernand Charron on a Panhard, 9h09m. After this Gordon-Bennett race, which saw only five cars at the start, the ACF decided to combine this race with another major event in the future.

The ACF’s annual main event was the Paris-Toulouse-Paris race over 1347 km with a total entry of 26 cars, of which eight were voiturettes, the rest were heavy cars, the top of the echelon in automobile racing. The winner Levegh on a Mors took 20 hours and 50 minutes. Besides these two events, there were four other races each in France and four in Italy. The French and Italians organized their events independently. Because France manufactured the most automobiles, they were exported to the other countries, which had just begun automobile production. In Italy most cars used for the races were French.

The ACF decided to run the second Gordon-Bennett race concurrently with the 527 km Paris-Bordeaux event. There were 45 cars at the start of the Heavy, Light and Voiturette classes but only four cars of them entered for the Gordon-Bennett race. There were three French drivers, Charron, Levegh and Giradot and from England S.F. Edge on the Napier. The Gordon-Bennett race was a total flop. From the four cars started, only Giradot finished in ninth place of the 45-car field, although he could claim to have won the Gordon-Bennett race.

There were five other races for the Heavy car class that year, the major Paris-Berlin race organized by the ACF, a huge event with 99 cars at the start of which 41 alone were from the Heavy class. Besides those big events, two minor events took place in France and two in Italy.

The ACF again decided to run the Gordon-Bennett Cup race concurrently with a major event, the huge Paris-Vienna race, for which the ACF received 219 entries. The Trophy event ended halfway at Innsbruck after 565 km. Again there were only four entrants for the cup. Three from France and S.F. Edge on a Napier entered again by the Automobile Club of Great Britain. From the group of four contestants, his car was first in Innsbruck and consequently the cup went to England.

Besides this race, the Belgians held for the first time the Ardennes Circuit Race, which booked over 47 entries. The French had held another event from Paris-Arras-Paris, attracting over 50 cars and the Italians organized three mountain climb races and three sprint. The other nations staged no events for racing cars.

For the fourth Gordon-Bennett Cup, things were different, because the race was to be staged for the first time outside France, going to England after S.F. Edge, on Napier had won the Paris-Innsbruck race in 1902. Now a race had to be held especially for the Gordon-Bennett Cup, with teams of three cars from each national automobile club, the cars built entirely in the country they represented. It was the first truly international automobile race.

Because the law prohibited motor races on public roads in England, a large enough area was eventually decided on in Ireland. Two combined circuits were found around Athy, forming a figure eight, to be covered three times for one and four times for the other circuit, a total of seven laps or 527 km. The entry consisted of 12 cars, three each from America, England, France and Germany. Four English cars and drivers wanted to take part in the race and therefore eliminating trials were held beforehand to determine the three cars to be entered for the main event. After six hours and 39 minutes, Belgian driver Camille Jenatzy won the Gordon- Bennett Cup on a Mercedes, which assured the race to be held in Germany the following year.

The ACF’s major event, the Paris-Madrid race in May 1903 had to be stopped halfway at Bordeaux because of several fatal crashes and spectators were killed as well, not talking about the serious injuries. This put a temporary stop to the big races in France with other events cancelled. Therefore only three races took place that year. The other two were the Ardennes Circuit in Belgium and the Gordon-Bennett Cup in Ireland, already described. No other races for the heavy car class were staged in the other European countries or America.

The end of the big annual town-to-town races with the tragic 1903 Paris-Madrid event had created a void. This was filled by the Gordon-Bennett race. Consequently, for the fifth Gordon-Bennett Cup in 1904, every manufacturer was eager to get a place in their national team. Because so many entries came forward in England and especially in France that Eliminating Trials had to be held in both nations. The other countries with fewer manufacturers did not have this problem.

The English Eliminating Trials, on the Isle of Man, lasted three days and comprised contest of repairs, a hill-climb and a short speed run. The French manufacturers entered 29 cars of which 25 made it to the start of the 532.74 km Eliminating Trial on the 88.79 km Argonne Circuit in France, to be lapped six times.

From the 19 cars entered for the fifth Gordon-Bennett Race on 17 June, 18 made the start on the 128 km Taunus circuit in Germany, to be lapped four times, covering a total of 512 km. The Homburg circuit outside Frankfurt was thoroughly guarded and fenced off to prevent mishaps as had happened in the Paris-Madrid race. The Germans had the event well organized and even the Kaiser (emperor) was present to observe the proceedings. The following cars were entered:
Austria: ……. 3 Mercedes
Belgium: ….. 3 Pipe
France:…….. 1 Mors
……………....... 1 Richard-Brasier
……………....... 1 Turcat-Méry
Germany: …. 2 Mercedes
……………....... 1 Opel-Darracq
England:…… 1 Napier
……………....... 2 Wolseley
Italy:……….... 3 FIAT
Switzerland: 1 Dufaux……..DNS - car side-slipped on the way to the start

After 512 km and just over five hours and fifty minutes at an average speed of 87.245 km/h, the Frenchman Léon Théry on a Richard-Brasier became winner by about 11 minutes to the second car, a German Mercedes, driven by the Belgian Camille Jenatzy. This meant that the race was going to be staged in France the following year.

As already stated at the beginning of this 1904 review, the Gordon-Bennett Cup had now become the most important event of the year because the French Government did not allow the annual city-to-city races to take place any more. The Gordon-Bennett rules limited each country to be represented by only three cars. This rule now caused great discontent within the French auto industry. France alone had seven manufacturers of whom any could have been a winner and wanted a race where each factory could be represented by three cars.

They voiced their concern during the 1904 Salon, the Paris Motor Show, saying that the limitation of three cars per nation was intolerable. They met with the Automobile Club de France and proposed to organize a race of their own, to be called the "Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France". Furthermore, this event should be run simultaneously with the 1905 Gordon Bennett Cup and would allow all competing firms to participate. Additionally they requested to hold this race thereafter every year and the ACF was not to take part in the Gordon Bennett Cup race unless the rules were revised.

The ACF replied that in 1905 an Eliminating race was to take place, as had been the case in 1904 and the first 15 cars would then qualify for the Grand Prix, organized by the ACF. Additionally, other countries were allowed to enter cars, three each for Austria, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and USA; six each for Germany and Great Britain; a minimum of 15 cars for France.

This triggered outrage, criticism and protests from all the competing Nations. The ACF then agreed to stage the 1905 Gordon Bennett Cup race to the existing rules and said the Grand Prix would take place two weeks later. They also made it quite clear that from 1906 on the Grand Prix was to take place and the limitation of cars permitted from each Nation would be reviewed.

During 1904, only five races, each in a different country, had been staged for the heavy two-seater cars.
· French Gordon-Bennett Eliminating Trials at Argonne Circuit in France
· Gordon-Bennett Cup Race at Homburg, in Germany
· Ardennes Race at the Bastogne Circuit in Belgium
· Coppa Brescia at Brescia in Italy (not yet called Coppa Florio!)
· Vanderbilt Cup Race at Long Island, N.Y in America

The last of the six Gordon-Bennett Cup Races took place in France on a 137 km mountainous circuit in the Auvergne. This race must have been the most important event up to that time, when looking at the strong entry of three cars from each of the seven participating nations. The following cars were entered:

America:…… 2 Pope-Toledos
…………………1 Locomobile
Austria: ……. 3 Mercedes
Belgium: ….. 3 Pipe
France:…….. 1 de Dietrich
……………....... 2 Brasiers
Germany: …. 3 Mercedes
England:…… 1 Napier
……………....... 2 Wolseleys
Italy:……….... 3 FIAT

After 548 km and 7h02m42.6s at an average speed of 77.78 km/h, the Frenchman Léon Théry on a 96 hp Brasier won for the second year in a row. He was over ¼ hour ahead of the feared second placed Nazzaro on a 110 hp FIAT. The trophy stayed in France.

The ACF had made it quite clear in 1904 that from 1906 on the Grand Prix were to take place and would they capture the trophy they would not organize the race the following year. The ACF made an official statement before the 1905 race that the fight for the Gordon Bennett trophy was to be the last on French soil. No other nation wanted to continue the Gordon Bennett series and was not prepared to spend the vast amount of money to organize a major road race. The Gordon Bennett Trophy had the distinction of being the first racing series in the history of motor sport.

During 1905, seven races had been held for the heavy racing cars. Touring car events like the Tourist Trophy series in Britain were also of interest but did not capture the imagination of the masses to such an extent, preferring to watch the fastest machines instead. Here are the 1905 events for the heavy car class.
· English Gordon-Bennett Eliminating Trials at Isle of Man Circuit.
· French Gordon-Bennett Eliminating Trials at Auvergne Circuit in France.
· Gordon-Bennett Cup Race at Auvergne Circuit in France.
· Ardennes Race at the Bastogne Circuit in Belgium
· Coppa Florio at Brescia in Italy
· Vanderbilt Cup Eliminating Trials Race at Long Island, N.Y in America
· Vanderbilt Cup Race at Long Island, N.Y in America

Conclusion
The French manufacturers took part in only the most important races, which were the town-to-town events. Another reason was that no restriction existed in these races of how many cars each manufacturer could enter. Why should they then be interested to enter at the Gordon Bennett races, which were limited to three cars per nation? Because of precisely those restrictions very few manufacturers were interested in the Gordon Bennett races. All other events seemed more important to them, unrestricted of how many cars each manufacturer could enter in the race.

During those early years of the Gordon-Bennett races, no championships of any sort were held in racing and the first world championship for manufacturers started in the mid twenties. There existed no general structure of the racing seasons during the era of the Gordon Bennett Cups. The Gordon-Bennett Race was the first attempt to stage an international race between Nations. Only after the town-to-town races had been forbidden after the tragic Paris-Madrid event, the Gordon Bennett races filled this void and became the most important race of the year during 1904 and 1905.

Advertisement

#20 Flicker

Flicker

• 194 posts

Posted 17 May 2001 - 13:01

Slightly off-topic, but...

source - http://www.f1picture...05&language_id=

Posted Image

CART donates for Vanderbilt Cup rights. (17/05/01)

CART Charities - the charitable arm of Championship Auto Racing Teams - announced today that it has donated several items of memorabilia to the Eastern Motor Racing Association [EMRA] in exchange for the right to use the Vanderbilt Cup as the championship trophy for the FedEx Championship Series.

The items donated to EMRA include an artist's rendering of the Vanderbilt Cup; a framed, matted print from the Inaugural U.S. 500; a 1999-2000 edition of the Autocourse CART yearbook; a chequered flag from the 2000 season signed by various drivers; and a programme from the 2000 FedEx Championship Series Awards Banquet, which was the first time the Vanderbilt Cup was presented to the series champion.

Each item was signed by three-time FedEx Championship Series champion Bobby Rahal, who also is co-owner of Team Rahal and served as interim CART president and CEO from 16 June to 1 December last year.

Founded in 1969, EMRA was formed by a committee of local sports car clubs to provide a sanctioning body to sponsor the then-growing interest in club racing, and has become one of the premier sanctioning bodies in the Northeast. EMRA events are held at tracks such as Nazareth Speedway, Pocono Raceway, Lime Rock Park, Watkins Glen International Speedway, and Summit Point Raceway.

In 1974, EMRA received permission from the Vanderbilt family to revive the tradition of the Vanderbilt Cup as its trophy for winning the annual Vanderbilt Cup race at Bridgehampton Raceway on Long Island in New York. Previously, the Vanderbilt Cup was the prize for the most prestigious street races on Long Island between 1904 and 1937. With the closing of Bridgehampton Raceway, EMRA continues to uphold the annual Vanderbilt Cup tradition at several other race venues. EMRA has allowed CART to use the Vanderbilt Cup as its trophy for the FedEx Championship Series.

(Previously, the Vanderbilt Cup was the prize for the most prestigious street races on Long Island between 1904 and 1937.)
:p

#21 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 18 May 2001 - 00:00

How about the reflection of a wine bottle on top the radiator?

#22 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 22:48

Here and there, I have read tiny allusions to Eliminating trials for the G-B Cup held in Germany in 1904 & 1905.
But never such precisions as : date, venue, entrants, results, etc.
Among the "non qualifiers" were (perhaps...) Marius Barbarou & Ettore Bugatti in 1904, Emile Mathis in 1905.
Plus the "strange" anti-woman decision against Camille Du Gast (1904)

BUT...
Did these trials really took place ???

Anybody ?

#23 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 06:43

Originally posted by Jimmy Piget
[B
BUT...
Did these trials really took place ???

Anybody ? [/B]

Yes they did, in 1904 and in 1905 there was English and French Elimination races:

The following Results are from my webpage http://drive.to/formula1results

[b]1904 Gordon Bennett Race

English Elimination Trials[/b]

Isle of Man: various tests (not a race)

10th May: 5 laps  of  83.885 km (Isle of Man circuit)

11th May: 3 hillclimbs ½ mile (Port Vuillen)

12th May: 2 flying kilometre trials (Douglas Promenade) 

Results:

1  9 Selwyn Francis Edge		Panhard					 

2  6 Clifford Earp			  Napier 

3 10 Sidney Girling			 Wolseley				

4 12 Charles Jarrott			Wolseley

5  3 Hargreaves				 Napier				  

6  1 J. Stocks				  Napier

Did not complete all tests/trials

7 Muir					   Wolseley

11 Rawlinson				  Darracq

14 Mark Mayhew				Napier

4 Victor Hemery			  Darracq

2 J. Edmond				  Darracq

Notes:

1. The English Elimination Trial was not a real race. Having every intention of sending the

best cars, the English Club had determined to make an exhaustive trial. The racers were

to go through a five-lap run. In the course of the lap they would be timed and marked for

the following points:- speed over a three mile stretch; speed over a flying half mile;

speed over two miles up the hill out of Ramsey; accuracy of stopping at the controls;

time occupied over (a) taking in petrol and water, (b) serious repairs, (c) adjustments

and tyre repairs; skill in starting; variation over schedule time on the sections of the

course; and time occupied in passing through the controls. The Club did not wish to

subject the competitors to the dangers of driving at their utmost speed, as in a race,

and a certain amount of time was therefore allowed for each lap, the drivers having to

keep as nearly as possible to the schedule times

2. May 12th. On returning from the 2nd run to the starting point, the brakes on Earp's car

jammed and he skidded into a wall, smashing the car badly and injuring his brother, who

was acting as mechanic. Thereupon the third run was abandoned, and the Trials were at an

end.

3. Selected for Gordon Bennett Race: 1. Edge, 2. Girling, 3. Jarrott. Reserves Hargreaves

and Stocks. Earp was not chosen, as the judges considered that after such an accident

neither car nor driver could possibly be fit for the race in the short time available.

[b]1904 Gordon Bennett Race

French Elimination Trials[/b]

20 May - Argonne circuit: 532.76 Km / 99.747 kmh (61.982 mph)

6 laps  of  88.793 km  

Results:

1  5 Leon Thery				 Richard-Brasier		5:20'28"0

2  7 Jacques Salleron		   Mors Z				 5:40'02"0

3 10 Henri Rougier			  Turcat-Mery			5:45'05"4

4 11 Fernand Gabriel			de Dietrich 24/28	  5:48'20"8

5  6 Hubert le Blon			 Serpollet			  6:13'32"2

6 15 Henri Caillois			 Richard-Brasier		6:21'27"2

7 18 Georges Teste			  Panhard 70			 6:40'23"8

8  8 Henri Farman			   Panhard 70			 6:51'00"0

9 26 Pelzer					 Serpollet			  7:05'27"6

10  3 Albert Clement			 Clement-Bayard		 7:10'52"8

Retirements:

21 Charles Jarrot			 de Dietrich 24/28		 5   mechanical

20 "De la Touloubre"		  Turcat-Mery			   5   mechanical

25 Phil Stead				 Richard-Brasier		   4   stone in flywheel

24 Amblard					Hotchkiss HH			  3   crash

1 Baron De Forest			de Dietrich 24/28		 3   mechanical

12 Jean-Philippe Beconnais	Darracq				   3   cranksahft

17 Leger					  Mors Z					3   mechanical

27 Lavergne				   Mors Z					2   clutch

19 Arthur Duray			   Gobron-Brillié			2   split radiator

28 Henri Tart				 Panhard 70				2   overheating

4 Baron Pierre de Crawhez	Hotchkiss HH			  2   magneto

29 "Alexander Burton"		 Gobron-Brillié			1   split radiator

16 Chanliaud				  Serpollet				 1   tyre

22 Louis Wagner			   Darracq				   1   engine

23 Jacques Guders			 Clement-Bayard			1   clutch

2 Paul Baras				 Darracq				   0   mechanical

9 Louis Rigolly			  Gobron-Brillié			0   split radiator

13 Rene Hanriot			   Clement-Bayard			0   mechanical

14 Achille Fournier		   Hotchkiss HH			  0   crash

[b]1905[/b]

[b]English Elimination Trials[/b]

30 May - Isle of Man: 465.900 km

6 laps  of  77.65 km

Results	 

1  7 Clifford Earp			  Napier			   5:57'30"

2  4 Cecil Bianchi			  Wolseley			 6:12'00"

3 11 Charles Rolls			  Wolseley				5 flagged

4  6 Cecil Francis Edge		 Napier				  4 flagged

5  9 Hargreaves				 Napier				  4 flagged

Retirements

1 H. Goodwin				 Star					4

2 F. Goodwin				 Star					3

12 MacDonald				  Napier				  2

10 Sidney Girling			 Siddeley				1

3 Ken./Alg. Lee Guinness	 Darracq				 1

Fastest lap: Cecil Francis Edge (Napier)  lap 1:  51'45"  (90,659 kmh)

Race leaders: Cecil Francis Edge (2), 1-2; Charles Rolls (1), 3; Clifford Earp (3), 4-6.

Notes:

1: selected for the race: 1. Earp, 2. Rolls and 3. Bianchi. Reserves: Edge and Hargreaves.

[b]French Elimination Trials[/b]

16 June - Circuit d'Auvergne: 549.415 Km / 72.479 kmh (45.038 mph)

4 laps  of 137.354 km  

FP  # Driver					 Car				 Time/Laps - reason out	 

1  1 Leon Thery				 Richard-Brasier	  7:34'49"2

2 11 Gustave Caillois		   Richard-Brasier	  7:43'11"0

3 27 Arthur Duray			   de Dietrich 24/28	7:44'47"8

4 18 Louis Wagner			   Darracq			  7:47'11"4

5  2 Ferenc Szisz			   Renault AK		   7:55'47"6

6  9 George Heath			   Panhard 70		   8:11'38"6

7  5 Hubert le Blon			 Hotchkiss HH		 8:13'13"8

8 10 Louis Rigolly			  Gobron-Brillié	   8:16'57"8

9  8 Victor Hemery			  Darracq			  8:21'38"0

10 14 Rene Hanriot			   Clement-Bayard	   8:23'39"6

11 28 "De la Touloubre"		  Darracq			  8:30'54"0

12 21 Phil Stead				 Richard-Brasier	  8:56'08"0

13 12 J. Edmond				  Renault AK		   8:57'24"4

14  7 Fernand Gabriel			de Dietrich 24/28	9:00'29"4

15 25 A. Lavergne				Hotchkiss HH		 9:51'40"0

Retirements:

19 Georges Teste			  Panhard 70			  3   front axle

24 Marc-Philippe Villemain	Clement-Bayard		  3

15 Achille Fournier		   Hotchkiss HH			3

17 Henri Rougier			  de Dietrich 24/28	   2

3 Leonce Girardot			CGV					 2   crash

6 Lapertot				   Automoto				2

29 Henry Farman			   Panhard 70			  1   crash

22 Maurice Bernin			 Renault AK			  1   overheating

4 Albert Clement			 Clement-Bayard		  1   overheating

Fastest lap: Leon Théry (Richard-Brasier) : lap 2: 1:40'25"  (82,070 kmh)

Race leaders: Louis Wagner (2), 1, 3; Leon Thery (2), 2, 4 

Entered but did not appear:

2 entries Automoto, 2 entries Gobron-Brillié and 2 entries CGV
:smoking:

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:29

Originally posted by quintin cloud
Yes they did, in 1904 and in 1905 there was English and French Elimination races:

The question refers to the German Elimination Trials, I think.

Lord Montagu's book The Gordon Bennett Races says that German trials for the 1904 race were originally fixed to take place at Lüneberg and aroused much interest.

Mercédès, Benz, Dürkopp, Protos, Opel and De Dietrich were reported as possible contenders. Benz . . . were pinning their faith on the 'Parsifal' type, with four vertical cylinders, designed by Marius Barbarou. One of these cars was assigned to the famous woman driver Madame du Gast. But ladies were expressly excluded from racing in 1904, and though Madame du Gast treated this ban as a 'personal slight', nothing could be done. Nor were the cars a success - and no Benzes appeared to contest the trials . . .

Dürkopp and Protos failed to deliver, and De Dietrich's plan to compete under two flags proved abortive - one of these would have been driven by Ettore Bugatti. The trials were therefore called off.

For 1905, he says, there was little if any talk of German eliminating trials.

The ban on women drivers is interesting. Why was it implemented, and how long did it last?

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 10:48

Don't you just love this bit?

English Elimination Trials
30 May - Isle of Man: 465.900 km
6 laps of 77.65 km

A real test of man and machine.

#26 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 11:29

Originally posted by Ray Bell
A real test of man and machine.

. . . to this day, as most of this course still forms part of that used for the motorcycle TT races.

#27 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 11:30

I do not have any data on the German Trails, it would be great if someone could add the result to the thread.

#28 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:15

There was no German elimination race, neither in 1904 nor in 1905.
In 1904 Emil Jellinek was able to enforce the start of three Austrian Mercedes (in addition to the German racers), but in return had to accept that an Opel, or better, a Rüsselsheim Darracq crept in the German team. Nevertheless Adam Opel complained and DAC’s Baron von Brandenstein had to flatten the waves: “By awarding with the greatest willingness the third car to your factory, we wanted to show that apart from the DMG there are other makes in Germany able to build racing cars and qualified to take part in the classical international contest.”
In 1905 the affair was clear from the outset : three German and three Austrian Mercedes.

#29 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 15:30

Originally posted by Tim Murray

The ban on women drivers is interesting. Why was it implemented, and how long did it last?

Solely on account of prejidice at the time I think. Women did not appear until after WW1.About the same time they gained the vote. In the USA none seem to have take part in serious competion until after WW2.

#30 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 19:12

But Camille du Gast was pretty well known by 1904, having competed in a number of events with some success, including Paris-Berlin 1901 and Paris-Madrid 1903. Why, then, should a specific ban on women be introduced for 1904?

#31 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 19:43

I think the German Automobile Club was very elitär (sorry, my dictionary forsakes me again) about its drivers. So already in 1903 they overturned Jellinek´s choice of drivers by replacing Otto Hieronymus and Wilhelm Werner in the German team because they were "only" employees! Only gentlemen drivers were allowed and so they were replaced by two non-Germans of the "right" social status, de Caters and Foxhall-Keene! So no wonder to me, that a woman was not admitted in 1904...

About German elimination runs:

Already in 1901 an elimination had taken place on May, 12th at Mannheim. Three Mercedes cars had been announced to be driven by Tischbein, Lemaitre and Barrow and two places in the team were guaranteed for the make. The third place was to be contested by Canello (Canello-Dürkopp, probably another early case of badge engineering) and Eugen Benz. But it seems, that only Tischbein appeared and performed a crash after which the club withdraw its entries.

An elimination race was again scheduled in 1904, to be held near Lüneburg in Northern Germany. Benz tried to enter Madame du Gast (with the obvious outcome) and the announcements of Dürkopp and Protos never materialized, so no elimination necessary. The "Opel"-Darracq was obviously chosen because of the close neighbourhood of the factory to Homburg, and it seems, that Mercedes did not object this in regard to their own three Austro-Daimler entries.

Where I have all this from:
Carlo Demand and Paul Simsa: Kühne Männer - Tolle Wagen - Die Gordon-Bennett-Rennen 1900-1905

#32 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 23:11

Well, it seems that a huge fog still veils these phantomatic German trials...
I'm pretty sure having read in a book (or in an article) on Mathis that he entered (or tried to ?) cars in 1904 for Ettore Bugatti driving.
Any bugattist around ?

About Madame Camille Du Gast (and, along with her, half of the worldwide people) being banned from races was a direct consequences of the Paris/Madrid fatalities.
After she had stopped her race to provide some rescue to an injured contender, it seems that some race officials judged her guilty for this accident. Despite a lot of testimonies proving that she could not even be involved in the crash, for she came here only minutes after it, the old beards condemned the bird...

#33 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 13:10

German trials :
We have to dip into the turn of the century environment. For an unknown factory having some uncompetitive, self-appointed racer in the shop, the easiest method to make a lot of publicity was to announce to the press the intention to enter a car in the Bennett Cup.
The press was divided into a handful of serious publications, with very competent and erudite journalists, and the... residue. The serious publications took note of these intentions, with hardly any comment. The residue sometimes went further and invented an elimination which was never under consideration within the DAC.

It is true that the DAC was elitist, but less than expected in the face of the Prussian tradition of the numerous self-driving officers. Since possibly social democratic mechanics such as Werner or Braun could not be accepted as members, in 1903 the DAC even created a new category for “technical members”. Then came the fire...

Madame du Gast :
Originally driver and mechanic together had to weigh at least 120 kg. Borrowed jockeys as lubrication boys had no chance. But the other corporal consistency was not subject to any additional stipulation. According to the regulations ladies were allowed to start.
When, in 1904, Camille du Gast wanted to take part in the French elimination trial, the Commission Sportive of the ACF intervened. In April 1904 Madame du Gast published a protest letter in L’Auto. But nobody had doubts about her driving skills. The reason for the ban were the Paris-Madrid accidents in general. The ACF could not take the risk that a woman would sustain any injuries in a race accident. In the case of such an accident, less than one year after the Madrid tragedies, Paris would immediately have banned the sport as a whole.

#34 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 16:33

Well, it seems that a huge fog still veils these phantomatic German trials...
I'm pretty sure having read in a book (or in an article) on Mathis that he entered (or tried to ?) cars in 1904 for Ettore Bugatti driving.
Any bugattist around ?

Yes !
I read this myself recently in a 1963 book called The Gordon Benett Races by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu
on page 90 and 98:
there is some talk of a plan of 2 De Dietrich racing cars entering the 1904 Gordon Bennett race of 1904,
But it is believed they did not enter..
I'll post this one on the Dutch Bugatti Forum,
may be one of our members can tell more

#35 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 10:29

It is true that many German or pseudo-German factories published the “intention” to start. But only one of these intentions materialised : the Opel-Darracq entry, and only because Alexandre Darracq, his influence and money, stood behind.

Especially Emile Mathis was one the best publicity men of the period. No surprise that he published his intention to enter one or two “Dietrich-Bugattis”. But as soon as the affair became serious, meaning that entry fees had to be paid, and these entry fees were not low, he backed down. He knew only too well that he had no chance against Mercedes. The entry fees were too high to justify a back field placing in an elimination race.

Jellinek and the DMG were the first who wanted an elimination race. In this case the Bennett Cup participation of three (German) Mercedes was certain.

The Opel-Darracq was appointed by the DAC : In 1903 Alexandre Darracq had no small disagreement with the ACF when he was not allowed to send one of his cars to Ireland. In Paris, Darracq was the head of the Syndicat du Cycle, the competing organisation of the Syndicat de l’Automobile. Darracq was it who put through the French elimination race and via the German syndicate the appointment of the Opel.

#36 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:45

Hello,

I'm scanning Theodore Pilette's Mercedes pictures today and I found this old postcard of the 1904' Godron Bennett:
Posted Image
The caption says:
"Salzbourg, 17 Juin 1904, 7h 42 du matin - Depart de DE CATERS sur "Mercedes" allemande, classe 3e en 6h 46' 31" (Vitesse moyenne de l'Heure : 82 kilometres 758."
A young Theodore Pilette could be seen in the crowd, second person on the driver's right hand side.

Have a nice day,

Toine

#37 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 16:09

De Caters/Mercedes photo :
The location should be "Saalburg" (or "Saalbourg" in French - Bennett Cup 1904), to the north of Frankfurt am Main/Bad Homburg/Oberursel - not Salzburg (Salzbourg)/Austria which was crossed in 1902 during the race from Paris to Vienna - a confusion of the French postcard comment.

#38 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:11

100 years ago :
http://www.germancar...mercedes/1.html

#39 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:54

Thanks for the pictures, Robert. :D

Advertisement

#40 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 17:38

Am I the only one who is a bit surprised -- and disappointed -- that there has not been a recent book detailing these events? These events have layers of intrigue and "interest" that simply need to be captured, developed, and recorded so that the next group can have a launching pad a tad better when they starting sniffing and sorting....

#41 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 18:21

There've been a couple about the 1903 race, which touch on other races. Then again, what has there been on the town-to-town races, which attracted dozens more entries?

#42 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 21:28

I see your point, Don, but at least in English, I would assume that Montagu's book is still seen as the standard work, even though it's now 40 years old. However, I don't think he did much research in foreign-language (or even US) sources, so I guess it would be possible to dig up much more in Belgium, France and Germany. And, being frank, while it's good research, Montagu's book is somewhat turgid.

BTW, one unusual source on the British Gordon Bennett trials is a book by Manx historian Robert Kelly entitled TT Pioneers, which I obtained recently on eBay - well researched from both national and local press sources. It covers all the Manx races up to 1922.

#43 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:39

From the 20 May 1903 issue of The Horseless Age, page 594.

Society, Sport and the Automobile Industry.
It was to be expected that sooner or
later the various branches of automobilism
—the various aspects of the movement, if
one prefers—would cease to harmonize
with each other. Already there have been
a number of more or less serious clashes
between the purely business interests on
the one hand and the society element on
the other. So far the society element has
been very potent in directing the affairs
of automobilism in general, because, being
by far the most important customer, manufacturers
and dealers have left to it free
and undisputed sway. Changes in this respect
are noticeable, however, with the
growing utilitarian character of the automobile
and as the industry becomes more
firmly established.
A peculiar conflict of the two extremes
in the movement has arisen in Germany
in connection with the selection of the
team for the Gordon Bennett race. This
race is supposed to be a sporting event,
but undeniably it has also a very strong
business aspect. The race is nominally a
contest between the various national clubs.
Curiously enough, these clubs do not bear
the financial burdens connected with the
construction of the racers and their transportation
to the scene of the contest.
These fall upon the manufacturing companies
who engage to represent the clubs.
Now, manufacturing companies being
organized for business purposes and not
to encourage sport, the whole proposition
is transformed into a business affair. The
manufacturers who enter for the race consider
the outlay it requires as an advertising
investment, and very naturally demand
that business principles and the conditions
of free competition should prevail
in the contest.
One of the rules of the race stipulates
that cars must be driven by members of
the club they represent. This rule has led
to dissensions between the German Automobile
Club and the firm which builds the
vehicles to represent it. The latter naturally
picked out the best drivers it could
find, but it so happened that two of them
were not members of the club. Application
for membership was made in their behalf,
but upon examination it was found
that one of the candidates—the one, moreover,
who has the best racing record to
his credit—did not possess the necessary
qualifications for membership; in other
words, he had no social standing. This
made him impossible as a driver in the
Gordon Bennett race, and the manufacturers,
finding themselves thus handicapped
in the selection of drivers for their
cars, threatened to withdraw entirely from
the contest. A meeting of the executive
committee of the club to revise the rules relating
to qualifications for membership was
called without results, and in consequence
any driver representing Germany in the
Gordon Bennett race must have a social
standing if nothing else.
The German Automobile Club undoubtedly
has a right to be as exclusive
as it pleases, but if it chooses to be so exclusive
can it properly represent the industry
of that country? If manufacturers
are to pay all costs of the contest while
the clubs are to determine who shall drive
the vehicles, there is opportunity for much
friction, and if this rule is adhered to manufacturers
are likely in future to be less
eager for the privilege of building racing
machines than they were this year.

#44 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 22:46

BTW, one unusual source on the British Gordon Bennett trials is a book by Manx historian Robert Kelly entitled TT Pioneers, which I obtained recently on eBay - well researched from both national and local press sources. It covers all the Manx races up to 1922.

Interesting book and well researched and illustrated save for the fact that having managed to locate an amazing variety of original black and white images of these early races, the publishers managed to make a poor job of reproducing them, maybe because of financial constraints, as it was published by Mercury Asset Management in association with The Manx Experience, a locally run tourist organisation, rather than a more conventional publisher. There are a lot of images attributed to 'M.K. Halsall' who is otherwise known as Mary Halsall, the first woman to be appointed Mayor of Douglas. She lent the pictures she and her late husband had collected of these early races, and after the book was published in 1996, these were returned to her, but have since disappeared without trace.

I have spent many fruitless hours writing and telephoning and having articles published in the Manx press trying to find her collection as I am restoring a 1909 Thornycroft which shares the same mechanicals as the 1908 TT cars, so pictures would help my restoration project, but so far without success. Maybe some kind TNF'r might shed some light on this mystery...?

Martin Shelley

Posted Image

Edited by Marticelli, 15 April 2010 - 23:17.

#45 dax

dax

• 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:16

I'm researching the 1904 Gordon Bennett and I'm stuck with the USA Trials.
From what I have understood:
  • in March Joseph Tracy was announced as the driver of Mr. Mooers cars (Peerless) in the International Cup;
  • In April only two of the three original enrties remains: Cooper Hewitt and the Peerless car;
  • A few days later ACA declared no entries for the Gordon Bennett Race (1st time), Alexander Winton did not agree and he prepares the cars to travel to Germany. Driver choosen: Harry Ownesy;
  • The next day Mr. Mooers declared that he hopes that his cars will be driven by Joe Tracy, Charlie Wridgeway or Barney Oldfield;
  • At the end of April Cooper Hewitt withdrawn his entry (why?);
  • First days of May: Trials to test the cars: Oldfield (Winton) and the Peerless car both suffers problems and didn't finish the trial;
  • A few day later ACA declare forfait (2nd time) and Barney Oldfield ask for other trials to test Walter Christie car too (tests done in Long Island with Christie at the wheel);
  • ACA establish that on June 4 there will be additional trials at the Empire City Track (200 miles total). Partecipants: Barney Oldfield (Winston Bullett), Walter Christie (Christie) and the Peerless car;
  • On May 19 ACA declare (3rd time) that no cars will rappresent USA in the Gordon Bennett Cup due to those reasons:
  • 1 - Mooers has withdrawn his car;
  • 2 - Christie has failed to compete in the trials;
  • 3 - Oldfield decline to abide by the regulations provided for the trial.

Now, this puzzle is far from beeing complete and maybe some tile is in the wrong place, can you help me to complete the big picture?

After all this hubbub I still don't understand why USA was not in the 1904 GB Cup... what is your opinion?

#46 dax

dax

• 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 20:05

A short video about the Gordon Bennett in 1904 : LINK

#47 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:57

An item of interest from the 1903 race is scheduled for sale by auction on 30th July in Glasgow
http://www.mctears.c...referrer=browse

#48 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:57

Estimate doesn't look too steep (if you're into that sort of thing), though the cynic in me would require some foolproof provenance

#49 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 20:07

Although it says "Officially used at the Gordon Bennett Cup Race 1903" the question remains: does that mean this actual timepiece was used by officials, or this pattern of timepiece was officially approved to be used.
My ex-Smiths contacts may know, but I doubt it.

#50 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 21:59

Tivoli Theatre (NSW Australia) Recitation

A little before my time, but it would have been wonderful to hear what Mdlle. Lucie, Miss Fanny Powers had to say...

National Library of Australia

Ephemera Collection

Tivoli Theatres

Harry Rickards collection

1906 Commencing 23 September; Sydney ( New South Wales)

The Romany

Starring: Mr Irving Sayles, Miss Maude Faning, Harry Rochfort, Harry Hart,

Charles Diamond and Beatrice, Miss Bella Perman, Les Brunin, Stave, Tom

Dawson, The Gordon‐Bennett Motor Cup Race, Payen presented by Mdlle.

Lucie, Miss Fanny Powers