Photo

Tommy Meehan, RIP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:06

As mentioned elsewhere, Thomas F. "Tommy" Meehan passed away April 4, 2014.

From Martin Rudow's "Long Straights and Hairpin Turns":

"Although he drove a series of interesting cars, and always with success, Tom ('Tommy' as he was known) achieved his greatest fame as the second owner and second serious driver of the famous Pete Lovely 'Pooper' which he helped develop and which he later reconverted to Weber carbs.  Tom's first race was in 1953 at Paine Field, in a pre-National club race in which he drove a 1953 VW convertible.  Tom soon was working for Pete Lovely at Pete's Empire Way, Seattle, VW dealership as a shop foreman. Pete told him, 'I can't pay what you are worth, but we'll have a lot of fun.'  With Pete, George Keck, and others, he helped form 'Team Empire", a loosely-organized racing team.  Among other cars that Tom drove with distinction was a Formula Three Cooper that he raced all up and down the West Coast--best race, second at Laguna Seca; and the area's first Maserati (200SI s/n 2415).  Tom's memorable races include going toe-to-toe with Tom Luce at Deer Park in 1959 in the Pooper, a race in which both received the black flag but kept going, and numbers wins at Shelton and Westwood.  Tom retired from racing to support a family…"

1955_Abbotsford_Meehan_Cooper_Mk_6.jpg

1955, Abbotsford, BC, Cooper Mk 6

The following is a link to 1958, Riverside, the Pooper

http://www.racingspo...8-10-12-122.jpg

July_24_Westwood_Meehan_Maserati_spinnin

July 24, 1960, Westwood, spins Maserati 200Si (s/n 2415), Pat Pigott, Lotus 18, following (photo by Ted Langton-Adams, copyright Eric Faulks)

DSCF0675.jpg

2005, Abbotsford Reunion, Tommy driving Pooper, with owner Denny Aker, leads a parade of cars

We'll miss him.

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 17 April 2014 - 05:50.

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:16

Page_1_IMG_20140422_0001_1.jpg

From daughter of Tom Meehan, Sharon McElroy:

"My dad Tom Meehan passed away April 4, 2014 at his home in Snoqualmie Pass surrounded by his family...All are welcome to share memories of Tommy."

From son of Tom Meehan, Patrick Meehan:

"...Dad and I talked of racing almost every time we spoke, and your name came up from time to time. He did seem to love Westwood, I went to my first race at two weeks old there! I never got to race the track but did get to do some parade laps. Dad and I went to the Historic's at Pacific Raceways many times. Walking thru the pits, people would call out " Tommy" , it was some of my fondest memories…"

Vince H.