* * - - - 7 votes

Will the Booing start again?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,561 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:09

Just wondering if we will hear more "booing" this year. Mercs seems to be at least as dominant as RB. Of course Nico/Lewis can give us more entertainment by fighting for a win. Vettel/Webber was a one man show. Still the situation seems to be the same. Merc is a rocketship and the rest are following. Interesting to see what happens in Europe :smoking:

Advertisement

#2 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:13

Nico or Lewis haven't done anything worthy of booing.  Yet...........

#3 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

:rolleyes:

People booed Vettel, not Red Bull. But I suspect you know this.

#4 IPBushy

IPBushy

• 51 posts

Sorry, but I thought the booing was for Vettel and his attitude to the Multi-21 debacle, not Red Bull's dominance.  Maybe I'm wrong!!

#5 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:15

Yeh if the last race was anything to go by there'll be tonnes of booing and streams disappointed fans.

:well:

#6 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,035 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:39

Listen to the crowd reactions in Aus and Bar when Ricciarido passes Vettel  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

The booing was anti Seb after the Mult 21, not against Redbull

#7 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:52

The thread was probably just started to show that dominance is not the only reason for being booed. I better don't want to speculate on the reasons for opening it, but there is not much to discuss really.

#8 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:55

No chance. 

#9 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:57

Folks really only have that vitriol for Vettel.

#10 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:37

Think it's pretty obvious it was only Vettel rather than RBR that got booed. The dominance won't have helped, but it was for Multi-21, simple as that (witness people cheering when he retired at Silverstone when he wasn't dominating the season).

#11 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:42

Of course you will hear booing. If Hamilton wins in Spain there will be plenty of it. If he wins in Monza you will hear plenty of it too, as in 2012.

It all depends on where in the world a GP is happening and the local loyalties involved.

#12 baddog

baddog

• 29,677 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:49

No but if someone beats an aussie we can expect some pretty childish stuff again I suppose ;P

#13 AVA1

AVA1

• 19 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:49

Maybe they'll boo at the German GP if Lewis wins his 9th race in a row against Nico?

#14 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:55

Maybe they'll boo at the German GP if Lewis wins his 9th race in a row against Nico?

Its LH - Media would spin it as the best thing since sliced bread .... 

#15 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:04

There's something about Seb people didn't like that resulted in booing, it's more than dominating and it's more than multi 21.

Schumacher was involved in many more moments during his career that fans objected to compared to Vettel, I think the only instance of booing was Austria at the time of the incident with Barrichello metres from the finish line. It didn't continue onto other races, people on mass didn't rejoice when he was beaten or when he was passed as they do Vettel. 

Vettel's personality and the way he acts after a win fans haven't warmed to, I feel like a lot of people didn't know why they didn't particularly like him and after multi 21 they had a reason for it and it opened the flood gates. 

I'm not anti-Vettel, I don't boo or agree with booing. It's a shame he seems in off track features a very nice guy.

#16 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:16

Of course you will hear booing. If Hamilton wins in Spain there will be plenty of it. If he wins in Monza you will hear plenty of it too, as in 2012.

It all depends on where in the world a GP is happening and the local loyalties involved.

There is diffrence.

If Ham will be booed he will be booed not because he is "bad guy". He will be booed because he is historic "foe" of Alonso.

#17 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:19

@ RedBaron.Ah yes Schumacher!...That eh parking incident at Monaco and and the innocent face afterwards was indeed a picture!....wily old fox was Michael during his heyday...I for one couldn't help liking him just for his sheer audacity! :D

Edited by Fatgadget, 13 April 2014 - 12:40.

#18 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:27

Nico or Lewis haven't done anything worthy of booing.  Yet...........

Eh! Where were you during the Spanish GPs of 2007 and 2008?

#19 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,561 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:34

Last season it became a "trend". I believe most of the booers didn¨t know the any specific reason behind it...Edit: I really don't want it to continue though

Edited by motorhead, 13 April 2014 - 12:35.

Advertisement

#20 LightningMcQueen

LightningMcQueen

• 1,053 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 15:04

I would doubt it, vettel is a funny character - I think he'd be a good lad and a good laugh if you knew him on a personal level, but for lots of people - he just comes across as a bell end.

The situation was also exacerbated ya multi 21 and the fact that for some reason the driver in the other car wasn't able to compete...

#21 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 15:17

asAs some have said,guess it depends on the venue

.After Bernie Vettel is the most hated figure in F1.I guess you can expect it from the usual crowds.Anyway if they boo atleast it means Redbull have sorted out the car and its atleast able to compete with the Mercs.

#22 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 15:26

Only at some places, if it´s Lewis doing the winning. Lewis´ fanbase is big, so plenty of people will be happy for him to win except in a circuit or two.

Vettel was annoying and spoiling pretty much all the big fanbases and he didn´t have a massive one himself. That´s where the booing comes from, it´s that simple. It´s just sour grapes from a big number of people that couldn´t get over the spotlight being moved away from the preiously stablished top drivers. 

#23 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 15:52

There's something about Seb people didn't like that resulted in booing, it's more than dominating and it's more than multi 21.

Schumacher was involved in many more moments during his career that fans objected to compared to Vettel, I think the only instance of booing was Austria at the time of the incident with Barrichello metres from the finish line. It didn't continue onto other races, people on mass didn't rejoice when he was beaten or when he was passed as they do Vettel. 

Vettel's personality and the way he acts after a win fans haven't warmed to, I feel like a lot of people didn't know why they didn't particularly like him and after multi 21 they had a reason for it and it opened the flood gates. 

I'm not anti-Vettel, I don't boo or agree with booing. It's a shame he seems in off track features a very nice guy.

Since I am the only person in this thread so far who admits to having booed SV (... and I enjoyed it too :p ) let me give you my take.

I dont think its multi 21 - that was a media storm. No proper fan took that seriously ... we have all seen team mates do worse than that (FM in Mal '14 for instance).... I think the issue with SV was his dominance compared to the perception of his deservedness.  Now, MSC was dominant for a time - and he was also booed sometimes - but no one questioned whether he was the top dog on track - neither other drivers nor journos nor informed fans. Up to 2006 he was the gold standard against which all others were measured.  Now, SV is acknowledged to be a good driver but there is no consensus that he is the best - I would say less than 25% of hardcore F1 fans think so (probably even less than 10%).... so when he was rewriting the record books in a neweymobile it was hard for the 75% to 90% of us who dont rate him that highly to "doff our caps" for him... as we did when MSC was doing the same.

So when he gets passed, or his engine blows, or any other reason - esp last year when his dominance really began to grate - folks booed or cheered depending on how he did. 

I dont think anyone thinks he is a Knob .... just a better version of Damon Hill... or any of the other Newey passengers over the years.

Edited by jjcale, 13 April 2014 - 15:58.

#24 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 16:26

Only at some places, if it´s Lewis doing the winning. Lewis´ fanbase is big, so plenty of people will be happy for him to win except in a circuit or two.

Vettel was annoying and spoiling pretty much all the big fanbases and he didn´t have a massive one himself. That´s where the booing comes from, it´s that simple. It´s just sour grapes from a big number of people that couldn´t get over the spotlight being moved away from the preiously stablished top drivers. 

That is a bit of a misconstruction.  I agree Vettel spoiled the party - but fanbases of other drivers in many countries did not participate - so I don't think one can generalize.  Indeed it was the same for Lewis in 2007/2008.  Many fans of Alonso did not demonstratively heckle and boo Lewis - just in certain locations.   The behavior is so negative, it feels and is construed as more pervasive than it is by the media.

Last season it became a "trend". I believe most of the booers didn¨t know the any specific reason behind it...Edit: I really don't want it to continue though

It was not a "trend" - although as I stated above, it feels and the media construes it as being more pervasive than it actually is.  Last season only 6 venues booed (including Monza which boos non-Italian winners every year, UK, Oz, Canada, Singapore and a smattering in Hungary). In 2007/8 With Lewis, the booing, demonstrative heckling and throwing things was mostly in Alonso friendly venues, and again, not a trend in the sport itself.

I take exception to being roped into the behavior through the use of the word 'trend'.  My country did not participate last year - and 12 other countries didn't either.  Same applies in 2007/2008. 

It may start up again - some people are already hoping to have the opportunity to boo pursuant to a personal agenda (prejudice/drunken cruelty/previous dislike).  Given the slightest reason - they will boo and jeer.  The 'he wins too much sour grapes' crowd won't start in with the unjustified negativity until Lewis or Nico have won for at least a couple of years in a row. 

#25 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 16:41

Freedom > feelings.

Boo away!

#26 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 16:42

Booing winning drivers is disgrace.

If you want to boo, yell and let off your daily rage go to the football stadium or icehockey arena (and behave like a drunken 4letter)

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 13 April 2014 - 16:48.

#27 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 16:51

Give it 4 more years, then post the same thread.

#28 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:10

Why do people still seem to think that the booing was related to his dominance. It had nothing to do with that at all.

#29 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:10

As long as Nico and Lewis are free to actually race then why would you boo?

#30 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:23

Excuse me, are you saying BOO or BOO-URNS? 

#31 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,049 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:25

Excuse me, are you saying BOO or BOO-URNS? 

I was saying Boo-Urns

#32 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:26

Since I am the only person in this thread so far who admits to having booed SV (... and I enjoyed it too :p ) let me give you my take.

I dont think its multi 21 - that was a media storm. No proper fan took that seriously ... we have all seen team mates do worse than that (FM in Mal '14 for instance).... I think the issue with SV was his dominance compared to the perception of his deservedness.  Now, MSC was dominant for a time - and he was also booed sometimes - but no one questioned whether he was the top dog on track - neither other drivers nor journos nor informed fans. Up to 2006 he was the gold standard against which all others were measured.  Now, SV is acknowledged to be a good driver but there is no consensus that he is the best - I would say less than 25% of hardcore F1 fans think so (probably even less than 10%).... so when he was rewriting the record books in a neweymobile it was hard for the 75% to 90% of us who dont rate him that highly to "doff our caps" for him... as we did when MSC was doing the same.

So when he gets passed, or his engine blows, or any other reason - esp last year when his dominance really began to grate - folks booed or cheered depending on how he did. 

I dont think anyone thinks he is a Knob .... just a better version of Damon Hill... or any of the other Newey passengers over the years.

Seb's dominance is the key - because he took F1 by storm and fans of other drivers and teams grew bitter. 

I reject your reasoning about people booing because they don't feel Seb deserves his wins.  That is not a reason fans boo.

Tell me, do you believe that Lewis and Nico do not deserve their 3 wins this season due to their super superior Mercedes machine?   Are you planning to start booing them?

#33 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:32

Freedom > feelings.

Boo away!

This isn't panto buddy.

#34 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:51

I am the only person who reads the title as "Will Boeing start again?"

:stoned:

#35 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:55

I am the only person who reads the title as "Will Boeing start again?"

:stoned:

NO...

#36 FizzyJerk

FizzyJerk

• 436 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 17:56

This isn't panto buddy.

Lol that is debatable.

Seb was predominantly booed over multi 21 last year, but if he wins this year without any controversy and beats the Mercs fair and square, then I'll doubt we'll hear any booing.

#37 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 18:02

Seb was predominantly booed over multi 21 last year, 

I´ll never buy that. I was left scratching my head after that race with all the reactions. Before, a driver ignoring team orders on early stages of the championship and going for gold anyway would be hailed as a brave hero or something, that day apparently the same action turned out in the worst possible backstab. Go figure. 

#38 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 18:08

I think the issue with SV was his dominance compared to the perception of his deservedness.  Now, MSC was dominant for a time - and he was also booed sometimes - but no one questioned whether he was the top dog on track - neither other drivers nor journos nor informed fans. Up to 2006 he was the gold standard against which all others were measured.  Now, SV is acknowledged to be a good driver but there is no consensus that he is the best - I would say less than 25% of hardcore F1 fans think so (probably even less than 10%)

Even the worst of the nay-sayers have been silenced by now. Vettel was driver of the year 3 of the last 5 seasons. He´s the performance reference right now (as in recent past, not as in last couple of races). I´m afraid that stuff only happens in your head, the "he´s not top driver" stuff is History with even a remote interest to be fair. And I say this as a fan of other of the top drivers. Anyway I´m proud to have seen him comming much earlier than others, and I think my gut feeling about Rosberg being top too is about to get confirmation too (not for me, I´m convinced already, for others).

#39 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 18:21

I reject your reasoning about people booing because they don't feel Seb deserves his wins.  That is not a reason fans boo.

Personally, I understand Formula One is more about the car than driver, and never had no intention to boo Vettel. But I agree with jjcale explanations. He isn't the best driver, but kept winning at insane ratio. My ego, as Lewis fan, was hurt a bit. Not enough to start booing, I respect Vettel. But I believe some fans couldn't hold it back.

But then again, it's just guessing, I have never spoken to any booing fan and never asked them why.

Advertisement

#40 Mendel

Mendel

• 343 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 18:36

If Vettel wins a race this season, I would be surprised if people are still booing. He´s not dominating this season and if he manages a win, I´m sure people will feel it will be worthy of cheering, not booing.

#41 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 18:39

When? It already has, on this very forum when free practice got underway in Melbourne.

#42 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 20:02

Top drawer analysis JJ..I doff my fedora unto thy..

#43 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 21:26

Personally, I understand Formula One is more about the car than driver, and never had no intention to boo Vettel. But I agree with jjcale explanations. He isn't the best driver, but kept winning at insane ratio. My ego, as Lewis fan, was hurt a bit. Not enough to start booing, I respect Vettel. But I believe some fans couldn't hold it back.

But then again, it's just guessing, I have never spoken to any booing fan and never asked them why.

You say it is mostly car, then feel that if he was the "best driver" he could legitimately win at an insane ratio?  How does that work?

#44 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 21:42

I wouldn't boo Vettel, I think he deserves a lot of respect and he's clearly a nice guy off track (when he's not losing). I think this post hits the nail on the head. The other factor is people like to have a pantomime villain to boo.

People may boo again if the atmosphere is right when Vettel wins again, people will see it as acceptable behaviour so it has a much greater chance of 'spreading'.

#45 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 22:55

Vettel seems a graceless winner, just like his current team. The winning, and manner of winning, is far less of an issue to me than the attitude after winning. I can fully see why he'd be boo'd.

To date I've not seen quite the same distasteful attitude from either Mercedes driver. Hamilton to me is not perhaps the most likeable person on the grid but even he has shown a hint of humility in victory.

Schumacher was ruthless on track, but once the race was over there was something more to him than brash conceit.

If there's an incident such as the infamous multi 21, and a strutting around with a smug sense of entitlement, by Rosberg or Hamilton (assuming the Merc stays leaps ahead of the field) then the boos might start. But I can't see them happening purely because of a dominant season.

#46 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 00:03

I agree with those who say the booing Vettel received last year was largely due to a perceived attitude problem, perhaps magnified by the multi 21 incident. I do think he has handled the problems Red Bull has experienced this year, as well as the "Daniel is faster than you" directive he received, with more maturity than I expected. Perhaps fatherhood has given him a new outlook.

#47 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 00:14

If Lewis wins in Monza he will get jeered, He did at Monza in 2012. 

The booing of Seb last year was down to 3 variables in my opinion

1. Multi 21

2. Domination

3. Questions about Seb's legitimacy

Lewis and Nico as of right now only comply to number 2 on my list, as their team has won the first 3 races of 2014.. For whatever reason, the casual F1 fans do not question the legitimacy of Lewis or Nico like they did Seb's in 2013.

I personally was won over in 2013 by Seb's performances, but others were not. Lewis has won races in more than 1 team now, and fought against Alonso and Button in equal machinery. Lewis also has had a very long period without having the best car. The fans seem to respect him due to these reasons.

Nico has never had the best car in his F1 career. Before 2013, you could argue he has never had a top car!. He has flown under the radar so much that no backlash has really come his way. Seb has been a home boy at RB for 4 years, and is generally considered to have had the best car over these 4 years. Whilst most insiders respect his ability, a lot of casual fans have sadly adopted the "Newey pawn" tag or the more popular "it is the car" label.

My general point is that Lewis/Nico do not have the same populist dissent from F1 fans that Seb did last year. I think Lewis and Nico will not be jeered as often as Seb was in 2013. I should stress that a lot of jeers Seb got were rumored to come from travelling Ferrari fans. Singapore 2013's podium was ruined by fans jeering Seb, and Ferrari fans were alleged to be the culprits

Canada and England however proved there was a universal distaste towards Seb. Justified? Not due to ability in my opinion, even if he was a "Newey pawn", Can we blame any driver for winning in the best car? I myself, still do not see a valid reason to boo Seb. How do you measure what counts as a "Newey pawn"? Was Mika a "Newey pawn" in 1998, or Kimi in 2005?  I like Seb as a person, and the Multi 21 debate is played out, so there is no need to go over the backlash he received over that incident. Other than to say, it did factor into the jeers.

Edited by sennafan24, 14 April 2014 - 00:20.

#48 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:05

Maybe at Spain.

;)

Edited by Atreiu, 14 April 2014 - 02:06.

#49 Talisker

Talisker

• 382 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:07

Anyone booing clearly didn't follow F1 before about 2005. I started watching in the early 80s and most years there has been one team that dominates the season. That's the norm in F1. Ok we had a couple of years in 2007 and 2008 where it was quite close, but that was a blip.

#50 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:08

Canada and England however proved there was a universal distaste towards Seb.

Indeed?  Canada and England = the universe. 

Who knew.

But let's face it - jealousy and bitterness was and is at the root of that evil.

The booing should not start up; there is no teammate battle that divides large numbers within the fanbase like it did with Lewis/Fernando, and Lewis hasn't won consistently enough to instil jealousy and bitterness yet.

Edited by bourbon, 14 April 2014 - 06:19.