Chinese Official: 2014 F1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
673 replies to this topic

#1 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:37

Round 4 of 19: 2014 F1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

Ni-hao comrades! Would you believe that the Chinese Grand Prix has been on the calendar for a whole decade? It is fast becoming a “historic” round thanks to it's pioneering of the slow corners and long straights we have all come to adore in modern F1. It’s Tilke, but with Chinese characteristics. Take a look for yourself:

635151861230131492.jpg

Number of Laps: 56.

Circuit Length: 5.451 km.

Race Distance: 305.066 km.

Lap Record: 1:32.238 (M Schumacher, 2004).

Where have I seen that sheh-shape before?

Sh%C3%A0ng.png

Ai Weiwei to go Hermann!

What is this, Miami Beach? Not hardly!

Friday: cloudy with highs of 18°C, lows of 14°C and north-easterly winds.

Saturday: rain with highs of 16°C, lows of 14°C and easterly winds.

Sunday: cloudy with highs of 17°C, lows of 12°C and north-easterly winds.

Way Back Wen Jiabao

2004: The first start.

2005: Schumacher and Albers collide on the parade lap.

2006: Satooooooooooo (and Schumacher's final victory).

2007: Hamilton runs out of Peking luck.

2010: Buemi steers a car with no front wheels.

2011: Button gets lost in the pits.

2012: Rosberg's first victory.

J.K Disgrace, what's the story of the season so far?

Whitmarsh is gone! Domenicali is gone! Red Bull’s appeal is gone! Now that ~90% of the forum have had all of their Christmases come at once, could it be that we can concentrate on the racing? Well bromies, you’re in for a long season if you’re not driving a Mercedes. We’ve had an average race, a boring race and a thrilling race, and the W05 has them all covered! But wait, there’s more! That’s right - we've got a juicy intra-team battle for the championship, the only difference being Hamilton's the village idiot and Nico's a brain surgeon Hamilton's DNF in Australia.

140406174608-rosberg-hamilton-mercedes-b

There's even more to be excited about in Magnussen (known by gangstas as K-Mag) and Kvyat (known by David Croft as Fiat). With four points scores between them already, either rookie is bound to impress this weekend. Bahrain also livened up the intra-team rivalries down the grid with Perez, Ricciardo and Massa getting one back on their team-mates. But who is looking down in the dumplings this weekend? di Montezemolo may do well to avoid seeing his cars do their best impression of a Terracotta statue down the long back and front straights. Sauber and Lotus likewise will be hoping just to finish this yuan.

The big story of the weekend: can Rosberg get a Han-dle on Hamilton at one of his strongest circuits? Or can Hamilton spring onion a surprise?

You might have missed...

Hulkenberg is third in the championship!

Vettel hasn’t actually won a race yet!

Williams have scored 600% more points in the first three races than in the whole of 2013! Ca-Qing!

DJ Disgrace, do you know of other tunes with either China or Chinese in the title? Why sure I Du Xigui!

Do you like Bowie? Coldplay? Trip Hop? Silly amounts of reverb?

PI Disgrace, have they found the missing plane yet?

Nope.

Then let's go!

dne1314ap523.jpg

Edited by Disgrace, 20 April 2014 - 02:53.

Advertisement

#2 Asterion

Asterion

• 822 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:49

Excellent post! Here is to Hamilton breaking his F1 win streak record.

#3 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:03

The only question is how many cars will the Merc's lap? This track is tailor made for then. Barring reliability problems, we will see even bigger domination than in Bahrain.

#4 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:39

They wont run flat out all race.

#5 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:53

The battle for the last place on the podium will be good.  The battle for the win between Lewis and Nico could be good.  Ferrari, Williams, Force India, McLaren etc, their pace will be interesting.

#6 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:55

#7 Requin

Requin

• 359 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:44

I expect Red Bull to be thereabouts in Quali and the Race as well. Yes, they will lose time on the massive straight, but I expect them to be a monster in the 2nd sector

As much as I like the Mercedes fight, I'd by lying if I said I wasn't as intrigued by the VET-RIC battle that is brewing.

Edited by Requin, 16 April 2014 - 03:45.

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:34

I think it takes more than time to make it historic. Shanghai is just a Tilke track inspired by the shape and lines of a letter.

Thankfully poor weather has helped create terrific races. 2006 and 2010 were terrific. I actually rewatched 2006 this week and I wonder how big a feat it was for Schumacher to win with a slower car and the wrong tyres for the wet/damp track. And how the hell did Briatore not fire Fisichella on the spot that day? For much less he did much worse to Trulli.

As for this year, I expect a very competitive Red Bull with their extra extra high downforce. But it remains Mercedes' to lose.

#9 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:40

Mercedes should be even quicker than Bahrain or Sepang... We haven't even seen the best of MGP yet...

And, regards to 2006, Michael was the only driver with Bridgestone that could qualify with the Renaults and he beat them, which made it better.... I wouldn't call it a "slower" car, but most definitely inferior tire compared to Michelin. That race was vintage Schu.

#10 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:14

This should be a great race. China rarely fails to deliver a spectacle, especially if the weather plays a role.

#11 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:04

I enjoy the races there, and driving it on sims. Its not a bad track.

#12 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:44

Looks like Friday will be dry, Saturday seems more likely than not to see rain at some point, and Sunday probably dry but a smaller risk of rain than Saturday.

#13 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:47

As a Ferrari fan, that long back straight worries me.

What a difference a year makes!

#14 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:59

It should be good. Shanghai get's a bit of a bad rap round here but they layout is actually fairly good. If the runoffs were Estoril/Barcelona style is would probably be thought of more highly, oh and maybe without the Star Wars pod race main grandstand and the Chinese Propaganda grandstand at the back.

Excellent OP, Disgrace!

#15 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:04

Not a huge fan of the track myself, though the races are usually decent.

Too many annoying corners. That first little section is terrible and apart from the few fast corners in the middle, there isn't much 'fun' about it.

I actually like Korea and India far more.

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:14

I'd like it much more on its own merit if it wasn't such an unashamed copy of Sepang.

#17 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:27

first race that will be won by RBR due to the weather conditions :well:

#18 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:31

Needless to say, without any problems or the weather etting involved, the Mercs will have too much, but I'm hoping from a Vettel fan's viewpoint that the Red Bull's apparent power increase may help them keep the Silver cars in sight (and that he can beat Ricciardo having lost out last time- never great losing to a teammate), but you don't close a 1.5-2s per lap gap in a fortnight.

First 2 sectors should be OK for Red Bull but Mercedes to kill them in the last sector- don't think we really need DRS here except maybe the short straight before the end of S2.

Hoping Rosberg, at possibly his favourite track, can take the fight to Hamilton and we'll see a good race again- even if I expect it to be 20 secs clear of the rest!

#19 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:32

I'd like it much more on its own merit if it wasn't such an unashamed copy of Sepang.

Having thought of it, is does follow a very similar plan!

Advertisement

#20 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:42

Zuó de Haó Chíru!

Im interested in seeing what speeds the cars can do on THAT backstraight (Rosberg said 360 in an interview pre-season)!

Here is to add to the China DJ gig

As performed by KIMI and FERNANDO

"I'm in the Ferrari looking sick

I'm in the Ferrari looking slick

Letting the engine rip

And getting a tire

A' grippin' ah slippin' and slidin"

Edited by Richard T, 16 April 2014 - 09:46.

#21 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:51

I think it takes more than time to make it historic. Shanghai is just a Tilke track inspired by the shape and lines of a letter.

Thankfully poor weather has helped create terrific races. 2006 and 2010 were terrific. I actually rewatched 2006 this week and I wonder how big a feat it was for Schumacher to win with a slower car and the wrong tyres for the wet/damp track. And how the hell did Briatore not fire Fisichella on the spot that day? For much less he did much worse to Trulli.

As for this year, I expect a very competitive Red Bull with their extra extra high downforce. But it remains Mercedes' to lose.

Red Bull was absolutely nowhere last year, and in 2012 (both in qualifying and the race). This track just did not suit them very well in the past. Way too draggy set-up and S1-S2 corners do not provide RBR with a big enough advantage to make up for the deficit they will face on the massive straight (at least against Merc-engined teams). It's not like in Sepang where they can gain 0.5s alone in the second sector and draw even in S3; they won't get that advantage in S1-S2 of Shanghai.

Edited by slmk, 16 April 2014 - 09:56.

#22 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:54

Bring it on.

#23 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:31

I quite like China, seems to throw up some good racing, lots of places to pass, I'm pretty sure there's almost an overtaking opportunity on every corner?

I hope its the most boring race in history as Hamilton wins by 40 seconds :lol:. The excitement from the last race is enough to last me a season.

#24 Bongodrums

Bongodrums

• 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:32

I quite like China, seems to throw up some good racing, lots of places to pass, I'm pretty sure there's almost an overtaking opportunity on every corner?

I hope its the most boring race in history as Hamilton wins by 40 seconds :lol:. The excitement from the last race is enough to last me a season.

My sentiments exactly :clap:

#25 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 610 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:19

PS schedule 

Thursday, April 17, 1500 hours local time (0700 GMT)
Fernando Alonso (Ferrari), Esteban Gutierrez (Sauber), Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Sergio Perez (Force India), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Adrian Sutil (Sauber)

Friday, April 18, 1600 hours local time (0800 GMT)
Yasuhisa Arai (Honda), Andrew Cowell (Mercedes), Pat Fry (Ferrari), Rob White (Renault Sport), Charlie Whiting (FIA)

Surprised they didn't invite Ferrari's new TP.

#26 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:43

So the DRS activation zone is actually only half way down the straight? I suppose it makes it slightly fairer otherwise people would just whiz past.

#27 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:39

I think Red Bull will be closer, too. Close enough to make the second placed Mercedes sweat should their Q3 lap be average. They will be strong in S1 and S2 (not as strong as Mercedes), and of course they will lose out in S3, but due to the mammoth right hander preceding the straight, they will enter the straight very fast and that exit speed will help them limit the damage.

#28 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:50

I think Red Bull will be closer, too. Close enough to make the second placed Mercedes sweat should their Q3 lap be average. They will be strong in S1 and S2 (not as strong as Mercedes), and of course they will lose out in S3, but due to the mammoth right hander preceding the straight, they will enter the straight very fast and that exit speed will help them limit the damage.

Red Bull was nowhere in qualifying in the past 2 Chinese Grand Prix. Not even in sectors 1 and 2. Red Bull might do better than most given the new regulations and how good their chassis is, but Mercedes will be as good in the twisty stuff and will be mighty (relatively speaking) through the 1.3km straight.

As it is a front-limited track, I expect Williams to be much closer than in Bahrain. As there are less high speed sections, I expect McLaren to be better as well.

EDIT: Whether RBR makes it on the podium and top 3 will depend on the rumoured Renault PU upgrade for the Chinese grand prix.

Edited by slmk, 16 April 2014 - 12:54.

#29 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:56

PS schedule 

Thursday, April 17, 1500 hours local time (0700 GMT)
Fernando Alonso (Ferrari), Esteban Gutierrez (Sauber), Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Sergio Perez (Force India), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Adrian Sutil (Sauber)

Friday, April 18, 1600 hours local time (0800 GMT)
Yasuhisa Arai (Honda), Andrew Cowell (Mercedes), Pat Fry (Ferrari), Rob White (Renault Sport), Charlie Whiting (FIA)

Surprised they didn't invite Ferrari's new TP.

wait ... what??? Honda ??? since when they started supplying engines in 2014??? OK, i get it, they are coming next year, but i'd have thought that would be ok for japanese GP. we really need to see this 'El Mariacchi' guy ferrari thinks so high off. 

#30 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:56

Rain or shine this is Hamilton's race, it's one of his strongest tracks with a car that is 1 second faster than the 2nd fastest team. The Merc will be a monster on those straights and it has the aero to back it up, can't say the same Ferrari or RBR. Vettel might pull a miracle lap in qualy if its wet, but I can't see RBR being strong against Merc power this race.

Edited by MikeV1987, 16 April 2014 - 13:12.

#31 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:58

If qualify will be wet like predicted in forecasts, than Red Bull pole is very much possible. They will also be closer on race than they were at bahrain so most likely at least on malaysia level. Ferrari will also be a bit more competitive but rain is not that good for them.

#32 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 13:09

If it's another wet qualifying, RBR have really lucked out in term of having 3 out of the first 4 being wet.

edit - It's a great track IMO.

Edited by HoldenRT, 16 April 2014 - 13:10.

#33 Bongodrums

Bongodrums

• 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 13:10

If qualify will be wet like predicted in forecasts, than Red Bull pole is very much possible. They will also be closer on race than they were at bahrain so most likely at least on malaysia level. Ferrari will also be a bit more competitive but rain is not that good for them.

Closer to who?? and why would they be closer on a track that normally does not suit them in anyway. Are the red bull fans pinning their hopes of the renualt upgrade, which in all honestly will bring modest gains if anything tangible. One must also remember that Merc are bringing a new engine to China, so I would say moving goal posts are at play here. I expect the merc team to have vanished by lap 10, fighting it out amongest themselves, with other merc powered cars fighting with Red Bull for 3rd.

Edited by Bongodrums, 16 April 2014 - 13:18.

#34 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 13:35

Closer to who?? and why would they be closer on a track that normally does not suit them in anyway. Are the red bull fans pinning their hopes of the renualt upgrade, which in all honestly will bring modest gains if anything tangible. One must also remember that Merc are bringing a new engine to China, so I would say moving goal posts are at play here. I expect the merc team to have vanished by lap 10, fighting it out amongest themselves, with other merc powered cars fighting with Red Bull for 3rd.

You can't ever count any team out - especially in the rain.  RBR have been charging hard these last 6 years, so we have to expect they will come along sooner or later - of course now that Mercedes has given them extra incentive, it might be sooner than later after all.   :lol:

Edited by bourbon, 16 April 2014 - 13:35.

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 13:42

He said closer than Bahrain, not race winning pace. Pretty reasonable expectation. I would expect Renault has more room for improvement than Mercedes does at the moment.

#36 Bongodrums

Bongodrums

• 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 13:44

You can't ever count any team out - especially in the rain.  RBR have been charging hard these last 6 years, so we have to expect they will come along sooner or later - of course now that Mercedes has given them extra incentive, it might be sooner than later after all.   :lol:

I think it is wishfull thinking on your part, firstly for the rain (which actually is an indictment of your position) and secondly just more wishful thinking if you think your going to turn around a 1 to 1.5 second gap in the space of 2 weeks with fundamentally the same rubbish engine

#37 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 13:44

He said closer than Bahrain, not race winning pace. Pretty reasonable expectation. I would expect Renault has more room for improvement than Mercedes does at the moment.

check out the RB10 thread, he thinks otherwise. :D

#38 Bongodrums

Bongodrums

• 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 13:51

check out the RB10 thread, he thinks otherwise. :D

I think your confused, he is replying to someone else mate.

#39 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 14:12

Arai of Honda visited OZGP last month and Monza last year as far as I know, and managed to stealth it against/among western media but this time get caught and appear public on Friday PC.

Interesting.

Advertisement

#40 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 15:06

The colon in the thread title makes it look like a Chinese official is taking about the upcoming race.

#41 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 15:21

The colon in the thread title makes it look like a Chinese official is taking about the upcoming race.

me too ... but perhaps it was intentional ...  :p

#42 aray

aray

• 5,779 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 16:23

let there be rain...in practice,in quali,in race....may the sun shine up the victory ceremony though... :cat:

#43 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,942 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 16:54

I think most teams will still be on their first engine?

Maybe there will be some more mechanical retirements in the race

#44 Lewisisabamf

Lewisisabamf

• 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 17:00

I think most Mercedes team are going on to a second upgraded engine

#45 otbevo

otbevo

• 145 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 17:06

All Renaults are on at least their 2nd engine (as of last race actually) while the Mercedes engined cars will be on their 2nd engines this weekend (barring any failures previously).

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 17:22

Tilke with Chinese characteristics! Fantastic!

Apparently Heidfeld was "savagely held up" by Sato-san. Now we know!

#47 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 18:00

The chincane ruins the banked corner, can't they just straighten it (chincane, obviously)?

edit: for the link above, I don't mind the brits' coverage, except for when their fanatism for Button begins to intefere.

Was that Sato ahead of Heidfeld the entire lap? That is race ban worthy.

Edited by Atreiu, 16 April 2014 - 20:45.

#48 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 20:33

What about Ferrari engines? 2nd ones installed already?

#49 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,935 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 22:20

Tilke with Chinese characteristics! Fantastic!

Apparently Heidfeld was "savagely held up" by Sato-san. Now we know!

Best part of that, Nick think it was Sakon Yamamoto and his posh Japanese accent. :rotfl:

Edited by Brawn BGP 001, 16 April 2014 - 22:20.

#50 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 22:27

What about Ferrari engines? 2nd ones installed already?

Power Unit usage after Bahrain GP (worked out from the FIA  technical reports http://www.fia.com/c...ent-information )

(no idea if this table will work on here  :well: )
N° Car  Driver ICE TC MGU-K MGU-H ES CE
Red Bull Vettel 
Red Bull Ricciardo 2 1 1
44 Mercedes Hamilton 1 1
Mercedes Rosberg 1 1 1
14 Ferrari Alonso 1
Ferrari Räikkönen 2
Lotus Grosjean 1
13 Lotus Maldonado 2
22 McLaren Button 1
20 McLaren Magnussen 1
27 Force India Hülkenberg 1
11 Force India Perez 1 1 1
99 Sauber Sutil 2
21 Sauber Gutierrez 2
25 Toro Rosso Vergne 1
26 Toro Rosso Kvyat 1
19 Williams Massa 2
77 Williams Bottas 1
17 Marussia Bianchi 2
Marussia Chilton 2
10 Caterham Kobayashi 4
Caterham Ericsson 4

(Edit - table didn't work but modified it slightly so it doesn't take up so much room :p )

Edited by Exb, 16 April 2014 - 22:44.