Photo

Ayrton's tribute to Roland: where was the Austrian flag found on May 1st 1994?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 toolish

toolish

• 164 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 17:26

Dear all, the title of this topic summarises the question I have: where exactly was the Austrian flag found that Ayrton took with him in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix? Some reports say it was found in his car, others that it was found in his racing suit (by nurses in Maggiore hospital). Of that last group, some say that the flag was found in one of his sleeves, while others maintain that it was found in his pocket.

As I mention the flag in an article I'm writing about Ayrton's last race, I want to get that right. Do any of you know the answer and if so, could you point me to a credible source? Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 21:15

You could ask user mzustak,

He recently published a book about Senna.

Can't remember that he mentioned where exactly the flag was. But perhaps he knows.

#3 mzustak

mzustak

• 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 21:20

Tamburello is a technical book dealing solely with the cause of Ayrton’s accident, so the topic of the Austrian flag is not discussed there.

According to The Life of Senna book by Tom Rubython, late on Saturday night Senna told his girlfriend Adriane over the phone that “when he won he would uncoil an Austrian flag and fly it on his victory lap in honour of Roland Ratzenberger.”

The same book page 398: “at the hospital it was revealed that nurses had discovered a small furled Austrian flag hidden in the sleeve of Senna’s overalls.”

The Face of Champion CD released in 1995: “before climbing into the car, according to TV commentator Galvao Bueno, Ayrton had asked Julian Jakobi to get him an Austrian flag.”

I remember reading one article where it stated the flag was found in the cockpit; unfortunately I no longer seem to have the original source. However, I doubt this version as the flag could potentially have interfered with Senna’s feet around the pedals.

It is worth remembering it was Joseph Leberer’s birthday on the Saturday and that he was also Austrian. Senna asked him about who Roland was at the dinner, and probably also asked him whether there was something he could do in his memory. I wouldn’t be surprised if Joseph Leberer suggested the flag idea.

To confirm this one hundred percent you would need to go directly to the source – Maria Theresa Fiandri in the Maggiore Hospital or to Ayrton’s ex-manager Julian Jakobi.