* * * * - 3 votes

2014 Chinese Grand Prix: Race Thread

• Please log in to reply
631 replies to this topic

#1 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 19:04

12 hours before race start - let's make a fresh thread for the race.

For how many laps (if any) will the Red Bull contain Rosberg? Will we see a rocket start from the ex-Ferrari teammates (Alonso and Massa) to steal places from Rosberg, who is starting from an unusual position?

Will it be dry tomorrow? Will the McLaren get into the points, at a track where they have excelled over the past decade? Will Ferrari confirm their excellent Friday form in the dry? Will Hamilton repeat his performance of Malaysia without Rosberg to keep him honest? 

So many crunchy storylines for tomorrow... hope we have another cracker of a race tomorrow.

Advertisement

#2 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 19:11

http://forums.autosp...nd-prix/page-14

thought this is the race thread too. Check the OP, please.

#3 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 19:12

For now, the only important thing for me until the race starts tomorrow is that there is no rain. I am so sick of rain.

#4 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 19:43

I am looking forward to 25 pts for Lewis, and a great battle for 3rd between the Red Bull teammates and the other Merc-powered teams and Ferrari.  Could be epic.

#5 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 19:51

http://forums.autosp...nd-prix/page-14

thought this is the race thread too. Check the OP, please.

We usually have 1 thread for FP1-Q3, and 1 thread for the race.

Happy for the mods to close this down, but usually, it's better to have specific race threads to reduce clutter and streamline discussion.

#6 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,516 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:00

Should Mercedes finish first and second - as expected - and with Hamilton leading Rosberg - also quite expected - the German will still be leading the WDC, though his current 11 point lead will have been cut down to just 4. Another double for Mercedes in Spain would finally see Hamilton jumping ahead, if only by a handful of points. Shows how costly that DNF in Australia is!

Hopefully Alonso can stick with the Red Bull and the Mercedes powered Williams/Force India teams.

#7 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:03

Should Mercedes finish first and second - as expected - and with Hamilton leading Rosberg - also quite expected - the German will still be leading the WDC, though his current 11 point lead will have been cut down to just 4. Another double for Mercedes in Spain would finally see Hamilton jumping ahead, if only by a handful of points. Shows how costly that DNF in Australia is!

Hopefully Alonso can stick with the Red Bull and the Mercedes powered Williams/Force India teams.

That's if the German finishes 2nd; if he finishes 4th or lower, Lewis takes the lead in the WDC.

#8 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,516 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:05

Definitely! :up:

#9 MP422

MP422

• 2,036 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:27

I hope it's dry. :smoking:

#10 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:28

What's the weather supposed to be like for the race?

#11 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:32

What's the weather supposed to be like for the race?

dry

#12 Makina1

Makina1

• 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:47

http://www.wundergro...ions/58362.html

Dry but cloudy, it seems. GO LEWIS!!!!

#13 Asterion

Asterion

• 588 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:51

I hope Lewis' setup is OK for the race. It'd be terrible for tyre wear issues to come back...

#14 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,388 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:37

For now, the only important thing for me until the race starts tomorrow is that there is no rain. I am so sick of rain.

There has not been a wet race since the 2012 finale.

#15 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,070 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:40

When did we all start wanting dry races? To hell with that.

I want my F1 races the same way I want my women: wet, exciting, and gone in 2 hours.

#16 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:48

There has not been a wet race since the 2012 finale.

Entirely wet race, no, but so many qualifying sessions have been affected by the rain, Australia 2013, Malaysia 2013(also the first stint of the race was wet), Monaco 2013, Canada 2013, Belgium 2013, Brazil 2013, Australia 2014, Malaysia 2014, China 2014. That's quite a lot, isn't it?

#17 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:52

As a Lewis fan I am very happy there are two cars between him and Nico, and the longer that remains the case, the happier I'll be. 

#18 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:53

I want my F1 races the same way I want my women: wet, exciting, and gone in 2 hours.

Judging by your avatar - and by your post - , I don't think you have seen too much of the feminine half of humanity up close.

Anyway, as a Merc fan, I don't give a xxxt about the weather, but dry would be nice, 'cause Ferrari needs some sobering.

Edited by Szoelloe, 19 April 2014 - 21:54.

#19 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,979 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 21:55

interesting to see what happens with red bull 

can they maintain that or will they run in to fuel conservation trouble?

also want to see williams pushing forward in the race instead of slipping back...

Advertisement

#20 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 4,045 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 22:32

If Lewis get through the first corner without much bother, he should be alright tomorrow. I have a feeling the start will dictate the race (barring any unexpected DNF's)

I think if RB's/Alonso are ahead of Rosberg, it should only take him 5 laps or so tops to get past them once DRS is enabled. The long straight coupled with the first corner offer plenty of opportunities for Nico to get past .

However, by the time Nico has done that, Lewis might have a fair bit of time in his pocket over Nico.

#21 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 22:40

If Lewis get through the first corner without much bother, he should be alright tomorrow. I have a feeling the start will dictate the race (barring any unexpected DNF's)

I think if RB's/Alonso are ahead of Rosberg, it should only take him 5 laps or so tops to get past them once DRS is enabled. The long straight coupled with the first corner offer plenty of opportunities for Nico to get past .

However, by the time Nico has done that, Lewis might have a fair bit of time in his pocket over Nico.

This is hugely important in the storyline of the race. If it's also Alonso it could take him a while, provided he puts up a proper defence. That said China is good for overtaking but a Lewis Hamilton 5-10 secs down the road is a Lewis Hamilton that Rosberg will not catch. I'd love a Red Bull or two to beat him on out and out pace. It's actually good to see a Merc starting slightly further back, be very interesting to see him coming through the pack if he's not done it by Turn 1.

#22 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 4,045 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 22:45

This is hugely important in the storyline of the race. If it's also Alonso it could take him a while, provided he puts up a proper defence. That said China is good for overtaking but a Lewis Hamilton 5-10 secs down the road is a Lewis Hamilton that Rosberg will not catch. I'd love a Red Bull or two to beat him on out and out pace. It's actually good to see a Merc starting slightly further back, be very interesting to see him coming through the pack if he's not done it by Turn 1.

I tend to agree.

Lewis has learnt how to control races from the front. Look at the measure performance at Sepang this year, or the second stint he delivered in Bahrain. Lewis's race awareness has been pretty top notch in 2014, he seems to think about the race as a whole.

Edited by sennafan24, 19 April 2014 - 22:46.

#23 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 22:52

I tend to agree.

Lewis has learnt how to control races from the front. Look at the measure performance at Sepang this year, or the second stint he delivered in Bahrain. Lewis's race awareness has been pretty top notch in 2014, he seems to think about the race as a whole.

Don't be silly   :lol:

Too much? Eh, we're getting there.

#24 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 2,113 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 22:56

Hows about the Hamster playing with the Bulls?.. holding them up and such that they become a sitting duck for Britney? Such is the pace advantage of the Sturtgatt silver boot boys No?

#25 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 22:59

Hows about the Hamster playing with the Bulls?.. holding them up and such that they become a sitting duck for Britney? Such is the pace advantage of the Sturtgatt silver boot boys No?

No chance. Lewis is going to try to run and hide. 

#26 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 4,045 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:01

You have a tremendous avatar. But no, sorry, that will not happen in my opinion.

Too much to play for with the WDC being so close and Lewis playing catch up. Only time they will deploy those sort of tactics is if the WDC is sewn up, and the constructors is to play for.

#27 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:18

I don't think he'll do it, there is too much at stake to fool around. Maybe some 8 races from now if they have a 200+ WCC lead they might start working like that.

#28 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,619 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:36

This race has the potential to be very dull, so here's hoping that something unexpected happens to spice things up, like in Bahrain.

#29 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:46

This race has the potential to be very dull, so here's hoping that something unexpected happens to spice things up, like in Bahrain.

How so?

#30 Jackav

Jackav

• 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:48

Intrigued to see how Hulkenberg will fair tomorrow. Could be one to watch if Force India has the pace they did in Bahrain. Judging on the past god knows how many races, one would assume he'll be mixing with Alonso again  :lol:

Potentially could become frustrating for some drivers tomorrow. The likes of Red Bull thrive in the corners due to the emphasis on aero. It'll probably be the case that the likes of Vettel will close up their gap on whoever is in front in sector two, for that gap to drift in the last sector with the long straight, where of course the emphasis switches entirely onto the engine where Mercedes is strongest. Williams and Force India have been strong on the straight this weekend, so if Hulkenberg and co can make up a few places at the start it could become frustrating for none Mercedes engine cars. 

Really excited, should be a good race! Hope Rosberg can jump the Red Bulls and treat us to another Bahrain like battle. 

Edited by Jackav, 19 April 2014 - 23:49.

#31 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,619 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:56

How so?

Qualifying was sort of dull.

The race has potential to be dull because Lewis can scamper off.  Nico could clear the Redbull by the first stop and the Redbull's could settle down in pace in terms of the top 4 being quite set with big gaps.  Rosberg unable to catch Lewis etc.

Behind them there could be a great scrap for 5th.. with 5 or more cars, and that could be good.  We were spoiled last race by circumstances, grid penalties and other things, it won't always be like that.  Today could be one of those races where it has 50% of the distance to go and you already know where everyone will finish, with a few fights over minor placings.

Would love to be wrong.

#32 Jackav

Jackav

• 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:58

We're in that situation again where races can be described as dull if the the lead scampers off. Just like in 2011. Despite the fact there is obviously 21 other drivers potentially battling it out. Depends on how the individual perceives an exciting race and whether that has to include the leader I suppose. I, personally, believe that it doesn't have to include the lead driver. We had a number of good races in 2011 and good racing, despite it often being described as a boring season because of Vettel's dominance at the front. 

Edited by Jackav, 20 April 2014 - 00:00.

#33 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:59

Qualifying was sort of dull.

The race has potential to be dull because Lewis can scamper off.  Nico could clear the Redbull by the first stop and the Redbull's could settle down in pace in terms of the top 4 being quite set with big gaps.  Rosberg unable to catch Lewis etc.

Behind them there could be a great scrap for 5th.. with 5 or more cars, and that could be good.  We were spoiled last race by circumstances, grid penalties and other things, it won't always be like that.  Today could be one of those races where it has 50% of the distance to go and you already know where everyone will finish, with a few fights over minor placings.

Would love to be wrong.

But... that's how it used to be for... ever, except it used to be Vettel and Webber scampering off...

#34 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 00:19

So, the big question, what tyres do/should people start on?

#35 TF110

TF110

• 1,042 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 00:34

I bet we'll see a mix. Alonso or someone may gamble for mediums. I think 1st through 5th will go softs softs softs softs mediums.

Edited by TF110, 20 April 2014 - 00:35.

#36 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 00:37

Interesting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if RB split the strategy. 

#37 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,619 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 00:50

But... that's how it used to be for... ever, except it used to be Vettel and Webber scampering off...

Don't know what that's got to do with Redbull or Webber or Vettel.  I'm not talking about domination..

I'm talking about an interesting race to watch.  I've had plenty that I enjoyed watching in the last 4 years, despite other people's complaints.  I'm not talking about who wins, I'm talking about the race as a whole.

I'm talking about following the races of each top 12 or so cars, and it being interesting or enjoyable to watch.  Interesting or unpredictable strategies, or good battles etc.  With every race the pecking order is become more predictable and it seems that once everything settles down in the first 3rd of the race, this could be a track where it's follow the leader.

The battle between Williams, McLaren, Ferrari and Force India and maybe Lotus could be the most interesting thing of this race.  It could be better than expected.. here's hoping.

#38 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 2,473 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:37

Interesting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if RB split the strategy. 

I think so too.

#39 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 2,473 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:39

So, the big question, what tyres do/should people start on?

Tempting but Lewis should start with options. He is the pole sitter and is least likely to be bothered by cars that start on primes, given that he will have the largest possible gap to those cars.

Advertisement

#40 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:08

what's the weather now?

#41 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 2,473 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:23

Jon Noble on Twitter

Good morning from Shanghai. The rain has gone - looks like it's going to be a dry race today

#42 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:27

Jon Noble on Twitter

Good morning from Shanghai. The rain has gone - looks like it's going to be a dry race today

82941-Darth-Vader-NOOOO-gif-4TB2.gif

Edited by eronrules, 20 April 2014 - 04:28.

#43 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:35

Sadly the way you get your F1 races in reality is the same as women: brief flashes of excitement on your screen then gone when you close the browser window, leaving you with tears in your eyes and an empty void in your soul.

#44 Astro

Astro

• 364 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:37

what's the weather now?

Cloudy, low temps... grainy day  ;)

http://en.weather.co...0.shtml?index=2

#45 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:09

Oh, lord knows what could happen today. Honestly expecting anything! Think it's going to be a good race nonetheless :clap:

#46 septerra

septerra

• 177 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:32

Hope it isn;t a snooze fest.

#47 sopa

sopa

• 3,430 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:35

Interesting statistic - Hamilton has never won three consecutive races. So finally it is his golden chance to make this happen and create a string of wins. Never had a car as good/fast as he has currently got.

#48 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:42

Something bizarre with Raikkonen, he is doing lap after lap, like if he was in testing. Before the last corner, he goes on the pit without stopping and he does another lap, it's the first time i see this.

edit : now he is on the grid. He has made 4 laps before stopping on the grid

Edited by Massa, 20 April 2014 - 06:43.

#49 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 2,473 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:43

Seb's car on the grid and the tyre in the blankets. Is this the one he will race on coz you could make out he is on primes!!!

#50 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 2,473 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:44

Alonso and Lewis on options methinks.