* * * * * 3 votes

McLaren MP4-29- Part II

• Please log in to reply
2858 replies to this topic

#101 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 17:43

So the car is fast ? So why they were lapped at China, and why they finish 40 seconds behind a FI at Sepang and 50 behind the Ferrari ? Even the Ferrari lapped Mclaren at China.. The car is as good as last year car, i see no progress and the team should thanks Mercedes for their engine. It's a shame that Mclaren is the slowest of all Mercedes powered team.

The way you lay it out, it looks like McLaren has the downforce of a Caterham, FFS. Does great on unconventional tracks (Australia) and stop/go tracks with minimal aero (Bahrain), but is literally nowhere on slightly more aero-dependent tracks..

Advertisement

#102 Grundle

Grundle

• 696 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 17:59

"McLaren factory make downforce gains"

Did someone fart in the wind tunnel?

#103 Lights

Lights

• 9,629 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:01

JB: "We're maxed out on everything on the car. We're very, very high on front wing, higher than ever before. It's all very strange."

That's by far the most negative quote I've read this year.

#104 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,326 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:05

The McLaren is a good car on a circuit like Bahrain, which places an emphasis on traction.

On lap 40, just before the Safety Car, Jenson had these cars in front of him (leaving out Rosberg and Ham):

Alonso, less than a second ahead, needing to pit again so in reality a pitstop behind

Hulkenburg, less than 5 seconds ahead

Perez, 7 seconds ahead

Bottas, had been 8 seconds ahead, pitted that lap and dropped a long way behind

So, the Force Indias were a little bit faster, 5 or 7 seconds in 40 laps doesn't seem like a huge margin to me. In previous stints, Jenson had been faster at the end of the stint, but I don't want to make any assumptions.

If the McLaren is as slow as you think, you must think Jenson was performing miracles that day.

The fact that you're trying to convince us that the McLaren is almost as good or as good as the Force India pretty much sums up the state of McLaren. FI is a tiny team with about 360 employees and very old facilities in Silverstone. McLaren racing is backed up by more than 5,000 employees in the McLaren Group and state of the art facilities in the MTC.

There's absolutely no excuse for them to be behind small teams like Sauber or FI.

#105 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,532 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:15

20 years ins't enough support for one team? sheesh.

i like boulier so I hope he's not blowing smoke up our collective ass with this optimism. 

#106 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:25

JB: "We're maxed out on everything on the car. We're very, very high on front wing, higher than ever before. It's all very strange."

As a previous poster pointed out it may that beyond a particular setting it may be having a "stalling" effect on some elements which may be messing up the front wing downforce beyond a particular speed.

Since its a completely new design it's going to have teething problems.

Edited by WitnessX, 22 April 2014 - 18:26.

#107 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:33

The fact that you're trying to convince us that the McLaren is almost as good or as good as the Force India pretty much sums up the state of McLaren. FI is a tiny team with about 360 employees and very old facilities in Silverstone. McLaren racing is backed up by more than 5,000 employees in the McLaren Group and state of the art facilities in the MTC.

There's absolutely no excuse for them to be behind small teams like Sauber or FI.

You have to bear in mind that the whole car is a completely new design which just made it to the first test and is at the start of its development. The FI has a chassis which is an evolution of the previous years and will have an initial advantage.

It may not be "excusable" but it is "understandable".

#108 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,673 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:48

I'm not trying to convince you of any such thing.

A car which only works on certain tracks is not a good car. It clearly needs a radical redesign.

It seems to me that McLaren got their priorities wrong. They thought that this year, good traction out of slower corners would be more important than good DF in the higher-speed corners. That was probably a reasonable view to take after they tried the new PU in the simulator. When simulating harder tyres, they must have flagged up traction as a major problem.

I suspect that, for all the teams, traction has been greatly improved by software updates, plus the drivers have changed their technique. The end result is that we can now see that McLaren made a mistake. But they still do have a pretty good car (although not the best) on tracks like Bahrain.

#109 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 3,805 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:51

Don't you think it's easier to sort out a car that lacks downforce than to rectify something with horrible mechanical grip?

Last year's car was horrible on both fronts. At least here, mechanically there is a leg to stand on, isn't there?

#110 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,989 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 20:52

Don't you think it's easier to sort out a car that lacks downforce than to rectify something with horrible mechanical grip?

Last year's car was horrible on both fronts. At least here, mechanically there is a leg to stand on, isn't there?

I personally think that downforce is by far the hardest thing to get right, more importantly downforce that comes with lesser drag penalty than the competitors'.
What Newey has got right year in year out with RB is consistently better downforce with less drag. And won all the championships in the years the second to last digit was 1.

Edit: this is why I keep saying I find the whole notion utterly ludicrous that was floated here "hey we made sure that the car basically works, now we start to add on downforce". Add downforce HOW? and WHY didn't you add the downforce to the launch spec car? Are f***ing you morons? Did you build the car in such way to help Force India and Williams to beat you so they get their fair share of the limelight too? i.e. ARE YOU F***ING MORONS???

- No, most likely, they aren't morons, they simply COULDN'T build a launch spec car with more downforce, as they did't know HOW. HOW to add more downforce without speed penalties, and with it being usable not the idiotic peak numbers downforce that last years car had. If they'd knew how, the downforce would have been on the car already at launch, not... erm... we think... it shows good signs in the factory... should be much faster when we put the improvements on... just takes time to manufacture... thingy they are on about now.

Effective downforce is the hardest thing to get right and it is the holy grail for why over men like Fallows and Prodromou court cases are started.

Edited by Force Ten, 22 April 2014 - 21:04.

#111 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 391 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 21:08

I really honestly believe that they overestimated cooling requirements and went really conservative. Just look at the size of that arse and the huge hot air cannons. Why do they do this? Were they given misinformation from Mercedes? Did they miscalculate? I don't know, but there are obvious areas on the car ripe for huge improvement.

#112 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 361 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 21:49

I personally think that downforce is by far the hardest thing to get right, more importantly downforce that comes with lesser drag penalty than the competitors'.
What Newey has got right year in year out with RB is consistently better downforce with less drag. And won all the championships in the years the second to last digit was 1.

Edit: this is why I keep saying I find the whole notion utterly ludicrous that was floated here "hey we made sure that the car basically works, now we start to add on downforce". Add downforce HOW? and WHY didn't you add the downforce to the launch spec car? Are f***ing you morons? Did you build the car in such way to help Force India and Williams to beat you so they get their fair share of the limelight too? i.e. ARE YOU F***ING MORONS???

- No, most likely, they aren't morons, they simply COULDN'T build a launch spec car with more downforce, as they did't know HOW. HOW to add more downforce without speed penalties, and with it being usable not the idiotic peak numbers downforce that last years car had. If they'd knew how, the downforce would have been on the car already at launch, not... erm... we think... it shows good signs in the factory... should be much faster when we put the improvements on... just takes time to manufacture... thingy they are on about now.

Effective downforce is the hardest thing to get right and it is the holy grail for why over men like Fallows and Prodromou court cases are started.

They are the ones saying that the correlation between the wind tunnel and CGI with the real world it's accurate and the best one they have had in many years...

:stoned:

#113 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,489 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:31

To be positive again  :)

Even if the Catalunya updates only bring a few tenths, it could be enough to get the tyres working, which could make a much bigger difference to the lap times, especially in race pace. I noticed that the long runs in china started off at a respectable pace but then quickly dropped off a couple of seconds, presumably because of graining. If the upgrades manage to get the tyres into working range, that drop off might be avoided.

#114 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,120 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:37

What a fan you are, when things get tough you switch sides.....

A Mercedes-Fan? I started watching F1 when they entered in the 90s ... McLaren was their #1 Team for many years and so I cheered for them but since they have their own team now I followed them. Nothing wrong with that.

#115 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,532 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:57

Nice one :) they probably feel a bit silly now.

I wonder if Honda knew about this split turbo technology that merc have or they are now busy redesigning.

Will this year's car be mostly irrelevant to next because of the new PU? Or can McLaren find a decent philosophy to stick with in this period of comparatively little reg change?

#116 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 903 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:04

I wonder if Honda knew about this split turbo technology that merc have or they are now busy redesigning.

Will this year's car be mostly irrelevant to next because of the new PU? Or can McLaren find a decent philosophy to stick with in this period of comparatively little reg change?

Even though packaging has a big impact on aero, a certain design philosophy could still be found to be carried over. The regs stay more or less the same as far as I'm aware. But it will probably be a bit more work than other teams that don't have to change the PU.

#117 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,489 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:05

As I recall, next years regs include a lower chassis at the front, so they might have a head start there. And 10kgs added to minimum weight which should help JB a little.

#118 Waffle

Waffle

• 277 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:23

And 10kgs added to minimum weight which should help JB a little.

...or finally persuade the team to hire Hulkenburg.

Edited by Waffle, 23 April 2014 - 07:24.

#119 Treads

Treads

• 786 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:34

As I recall, next years regs include a lower chassis at the front, so they might have a head start there. And 10kgs added to minimum weight which should help JB a little.

Do you have the details on that lower chassis? All I could find was "For safety reasons, the front part of the chassis will not be able to climb too steeply rearward of the front of the chassis"

If so, Mac and other teams going for the sloping chassis top, not the flat top (Mercedes!), will have a good head start. 

Advertisement

#120 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,489 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:37

...or finally persuade the team to hire Hulkenburg.

Why would you want Hulk if you have JB already?

#121 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,489 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:39

Do you have the details on that lower chassis? All I could find was "For safety reasons, the front part of the chassis will not be able to climb too steeply rearward of the front of the chassis"

If so, Mac and other teams going for the sloping chassis top, not the flat top (Mercedes!), will have a good head start. 

I must admit, I can't find it either but I have a clear recollection of reading about it.

Tbh I can't find any detail on next years regs.

#122 Treads

Treads

• 786 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:51

I must admit, I can't find it either but I have a clear recollection of reading about it.

Well it's a good point nonetheless, thanks for posting that one. 

I am a bit conflicted today on the Mac situation. On the one hand, after Ron's .5 second claim, I feel like they are chasing sponsors and we can't trust what is being said right now. On the other, if Eric is saying this,  don't think he wants to damage his credibility and get a reputation for bullshitting already. I have a feeling maybe they are optimistic but are spinning things very deliberately positively to try to grab a sponsor and maybe up team morale; we will see some gains but not the level they are talking about. 

#123 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 903 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:08

Well it's a good point nonetheless, thanks for posting that one. 

I am a bit conflicted today on the Mac situation. On the one hand, after Ron's .5 second claim, I feel like they are chasing sponsors and we can't trust what is being said right now. On the other, if Eric is saying this,  don't think he wants to damage his credibility and get a reputation for bullshitting already. I have a feeling maybe they are optimistic but are spinning things very deliberately positively to try to grab a sponsor and maybe up team morale; we will see some gains but not the level they are talking about. 

Bit confused myself, but a lot seems to be normal though. I mean if Boullier would say they wouldn't make any progress in the windtunnel and that the update for Spain wouldn't be worth much - well, that would be news. Progress should be expected, especially with new rules.

I still think this year's car is better than the last, as it has certain foundation that can be build upon, or so we're being told. Last year's car had a really bad fundament to the point where they didn't understand anything. The only question mark over this year is, is why the updates come so slowly - BUT we're only 4 races in and the whole Fallows story could have potentially added something to that situation. So I guess we just have to wait and see what Spain can bring and maybe even later in regards to the restructering of the team.

#124 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,253 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:49

Scarbs did a piece on it.

http://scarbsf1.com/...tepped-chassis/

This year was an interim year because it meant teams could not carry over their front suspensions from last year forcing them to re-design. Some teams complained that the rule was too late and there was not enough time. So they just defined the max. height at the front of the chassis which meant the teams could put in a sort of abrupt "adapter" step to the lower nose and also allowing a vanity panel.

Thats why I have been suggesting why teams like FI  (http://www.formula1....014/0/1134.html )  have a current advantage due to a more developed chassis than McLaren. If you have a front end which is effectively the same as last years, then you already have the optimum set-up for the front wheels at hand.

Of course, the teams that have used the "adapter" step will have to re-design their suspensions for next year if its incompatible.

Scarbs:

This is clearly a ridiculous way of working and the stepped chassis will be outlawed for 2015, where the front bulkhead will remain at the same height, but the slope will subject to a minimum angle, so extreme steps will be banned.

Edited by WitnessX, 23 April 2014 - 09:04.

#125 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:08

It was thought that McLaren would have a head start with a low nose, look how that turned out...

#126 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:31

A little patience is needed. Ron will need some time to replace the softness Whitmarsh installed with the old McLaren way.

#127 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,238 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:48

Kimmiraikkonen has lost fait. This is sad times indeed.

Never.But another year and another broken dream of win the WDC-WCC.
I remain the faith, (Its obious), and eric's words mades me feel good.The car is in wind tunner as in track, and path developement is very good.Only bad thing, fast corners aren't good and i don't think we will be near the paceseeters in all the season in this kind of corners.
The car will be midfielder in Cataluña, but should be good in Monaco and Canadá, as Boullier said.

Never give up and Keep The Faith.

#BelieveInMcLaren

#128 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,532 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 13:40

Boullier stressed that the team will not use the imminent return of Honda as engine supplier for 2015 as an excuse to write off the season.

He also pointed out that the team cannot allow itself to plumb the depths it did last year, when it had only 23 points after four races compared to its current haul of 43 and went on to finish only fifth in the constructors' championship.

"You cannot afford to let yourself think that way in motor racing," he said.

"The 2013 season should be a benchmark year for us never to do it again.

"2014 should be seen not as a transition year, but of rebuilding a winning team.

"We have this extra challenge to work very efficiently with our partner Mercedes, but later in the year to start to implement the Honda arrival."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/113615

#129 Spoch

Spoch

• 222 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 13:50

Never.But another year and another broken dream of win the WDC-WCC.
I remain the faith, (Its obious), and eric's words mades me feel good.The car is in wind tunner as in track, and path developement is very good.Only bad thing, fast corners aren't good and i don't think we will be near the paceseeters in all the season in this kind of corners.
The car will be midfielder in Cataluña, but should be good in Monaco and Canadá, as Boullier said.

Never give up and Keep The Faith.

#BelieveInMcLaren

Begining to sound like Everton fans or will it be Arsenal..... (BTW I am an Arsenal fan) and Mclaren and Arsenal have so much in common. They both think winning is automatically attracted to them because of the name. There is a problem. Question is: Has Mclaren performed as expected from the budget expended?No

Is the problem a faulty equipment, wrong personnel, inept drivers, bad management? Or is it all of them?

I will be interested to know the answer to that question

Edited by Spoch, 23 April 2014 - 13:50.

#130 Mart280

Mart280

• 105 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 15:04

I like the Arsenal Mclaren analogy Spoch, I'm a Spurs and Williams fan and have been using a similar analogy for them, I think Williams have finally realized they are not what they once were and have started to address their underlying problems, I wish Spurs would do the same and I think maybe Arsenal and Mclaren need a similar approach.

#131 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,253 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 15:13

Boullier stressed that the team will not use the imminent return of Honda as engine supplier for 2015 as an excuse to write off the season.
He also pointed out that the team cannot allow itself to plumb the depths it did last year, when it had only 23 points after four races compared to its current haul of 43 and went on to finish only fifth in the constructors' championship.
"You cannot afford to let yourself think that way in motor racing," he said.
"The 2013 season should be a benchmark year for us never to do it again.
"2014 should be seen not as a transition year, but of rebuilding a winning team.
"We have this extra challenge to work very efficiently with our partner Mercedes, but later in the year to start to implement the Honda arrival."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/113615

A couple of extra "bits" on the BBC report:

http://www.bbc.com/s...rmula1/27129774

Eric:

Boullier said the team had a number of new parts planned for the forthcoming races, starting with what he described as "an interesting upgrade" for the next race weekend in Spain from 9-11 May.

"interesting"??? mix40.gif

Edit: From "foxsports"
“In Spain we will see an interesting upgrade on the car,” he said. “Everything is planned until Silverstone – every race we will see a different upgrade, a different package."

Edited by WitnessX, 23 April 2014 - 16:51.

#132 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 15:16

The problem for McLaren is that Renault and Ferrari are improving. That powerplant advantage might be further reduced by that time.

They desperately need to work on the aero. Hopefully they learned something while adding downforce to the factory and can apply that to the car.

#133 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,532 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 15:33

Well he's making all the right noises isn't he...presumably the 'interesting upgrade' will be the slimmer coke bottle we were expecting in china.

#134 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,989 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 15:53

They desperately need to work on the aero. Hopefully they learned something while adding downforce to the factory and can apply that to the car.

You think the factory is faster now on the high speed corners? :cool:

#135 pup

pup

• 447 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 17:24

I don't think it's necessarily a negative comment.  The drag penalty is much less this year thanks to the high-torque engines, as is evidenced by McLaren's rear suspension.  In the past, adding wing came with a significant drag penalty, so the balance they'd find for the fastest lap was typically not with the wings fully extended, with the exception of Monaco perhaps.  This year, that balance is likely shifted which means that they are finding the fastest lap times with higher wing settings.  It still comes with a drag penalty, of course, so ideally they'd find the downforce elsewhere - but my guess is that every team (at least every Merc powered team) is running significantly more wing than they have in the past.

To me, JB's comment says as much, if not more, about the power of the engine as it does the lack of downforce.

This might also be why Boullier seems so confident in their ability to add more DF.  That is, they aren't having to search for tricks to find relatively drag-free solutions.  

Edited by pup, 23 April 2014 - 17:31.

#136 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 149 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 23:49

You think the factory is faster now on the high speed corners? :cool:

Going by "Tooned" its got some pretty funky capabilities.... whatever happened to tooned? Was that an MW thing?

#137 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 00:47

Big aero upgrade in Spain

#138 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,088 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:38

Eric:

“In Spain we will see an interesting upgrade on the car,” he said. “Everything is planned until Silverstone – every race we will see a different upgrade, a different package."

That does sound good. 

#139 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:00

Big aero upgrade in Spain

for the factory or for the car???

Advertisement

#140 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:17

Going by "Tooned" its got some pretty funky capabilities.... whatever happened to tooned? Was that an MW thing?

Not a Ron Dennis thing. 

#141 Treads

Treads

• 786 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:54

Eric:

A lot of French people say this when they are speaking English. It's a good thing! 

2 and a bit weeks to Barca, we'll see the truth there. If we beat some Force Indias then that means we've taken a big step forward. 

#142 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:58

for the factory or for the car???

Car

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/155457.html

#143 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,989 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:52

Read a bit up the thread and you will get the joke.

#144 mclara

mclara

• 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:29

It would have been nice to get a little better insight into what they will be bringing to Spain. Just like in the Ferrari thread.

But lets atleast hope it will bring a huge performance boost.

#145 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,253 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:52

http://www.motorspor...f-14042402.html

Boullier:

- Mushrooms staying.. they are happy with the downforce/drag numbers.

- Testing was done with different rear ends to check the correlation to the wind tunnel and comparison.

Me:

Obviously they think they can develop to correct the downforce profile problem.

#146 10e10

10e10

• 808 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:12

I know it's quite soon, but I already lost faith in this season. It's looking more and more like 2013 all over again.

#147 Lights

Lights

• 9,629 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:22

It certainly didn't look like 2013 until Jenson's gearbox faulted in Bahrain. China was the exception, not the rule. But the double no-points-weekend does hurt.

#148 10e10

10e10

• 808 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:28

It certainly didn't look like 2013 until Jenson's gearbox faulted in Bahrain. China was the exception, not the rule. But the double no-points-weekend does hurt.

I know, and I believe a podium in Bahrain was for the taking, but I'm talking about winning again, specially winning based on true pace.

#149 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 903 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:46

Dont think it was an MW thing. Looked more like a proper marketing thing to get more airtime for their sponsors, I don't really think anyone in charge of the race team had a say in this.

#150 Kraken

Kraken

• 738 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:43

Ferrari have a split turbo as well (not as radical as the Merc but still split) so I'd be very surprised if engineers of the calibre Honda employ haven't gone down the same route.

The engine pick up points and base dimensions are dictated by the FIA. In theory McLaren could actually bolt a Honda engine into this chassis and go testing with minimal changes. The advantage McLaren will have for next year is that they will know the exact cooling and airflow requirements rather than the drip feed of info they got this year.