* * * * * 1 votes

If and when Bernie goes what next for f1

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 northanmonkee2

northanmonkee2

• 247 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:34

Weather by court case, retirement or act of god, I think this will be Bernie’s swansong year in f1 

What will happen to f1 when it happens? 

? New owners /same cvc ect

TV contracts, circuits old and new, Concorde agreements 

My hope is that someone with a general love of the sport takes over 

And is more interested in exiting competition for teams and fans alike than making shareholders /cvc ECT richer 

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:41

My hope: Bernie reveals he has become a robot and rules over F1 forever.

My secondary hope: He has triplets with that model he's with, and the three Bernie juniors fight for control of F1 for the next 50 years.

My expectation: another businessman will take over the sport and he will be hated by fans who don't understand how businesses work and think that having lots of money makes you evil by default.

#3 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:57

We all die of shame and emptiness.

#4 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 22:03

Christian Horner will take over from BE, he will continue the work in a similar way. We won't see any major changes. BE will be written into history as the man who brought F1 to the top of the global stage ( getting a few bruises along the way )

Edited by Ellios, 21 April 2014 - 22:04.

#5 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 22:14

For the moment it looks like Sacha Woodward-Hill will fill his boots http://www.dailymail...nich-court.html

We'll still have to see how far the impact of the German trial will be beyond the assessment of certain actions of a well-known individual.....

Edited by scheivlak, 21 April 2014 - 22:15.

#6 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 22:22

Christian Horner will take over from BE, he will continue the work in a similar way.

Won't happen. It will be the immediate end of F1 as he's not trusted by many key players. Mercedes, McLaren(-Honda) and Ferrari will make sure that they will either drop out or start an alternative to F1.

#7 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 23:02

CVC will retain ownership regardless of Bernie's situation. I understand that the rights to broadcast went to Bernie and his trust (I think). I guess the trust would take over.

#8 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 16:32

I think people are overlooking the consequences of a conviction. A conviction for Bribery would have consequences for CVC in that they would have acquired the rights to F1 by fraudulent means. Whether the FIA would have the balls to reclaim the rights is open to question.

#9 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 16:39

Berger takes over? =P

#10 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 16:42

Let's hope F1 can create a more modern model than simply having one man take over where Ecclestone left off. In the unfortunate event that, at least for a time, one man will do just that, there are a few candidates - some mentioned in this thread. We've also heard a few utterings to the effect of '你办事我放心' by Ecclestone, but nothing concrete.

#11 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,965 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 17:38

Nobody is indispensable. Full stop.
Bernie should have been out a long time ago.
The fact that he is still around shows up team - and CVC - management for what they really are: inept, unprofessional, incapable, cowardly and money-focused (to put it mildly) amateurs who should not be trusted to run your local garage. That Bernie managed to break up FOTA just through promising even bigger cake slices to the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull just shows the truth of this.
I sometimes think that F1 Team Principals are really incapable of the long term view; possibly with the exception of Ron Dennis. But perhaps it is just the question of short term survival that keeps them preoccupied.

What will Bernie and FOM do once Force India, Caterham, Marussia and Sauber have all gone into administration ? Encourage Gene Haas even further ?

#12 aray

aray

• 5,796 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 17:42

Thongman is a serious contender for this job...

#13 loki

loki

• 12,097 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:26

Nobody is indispensable. Full stop.
Bernie should have been out a long time ago.
The fact that he is still around shows up team - and CVC - management for what they really are: inept, unprofessional, incapable, cowardly and money-focused (to put it mildly) amateurs who should not be trusted to run your local garage. That Bernie managed to break up FOTA just through promising even bigger cake slices to the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull just shows the truth of this.
I sometimes think that F1 Team Principals are really incapable of the long term view; possibly with the exception of Ron Dennis. But perhaps it is just the question of short term survival that keeps them preoccupied.

What will Bernie and FOM do once Force India, Caterham, Marussia and Sauber have all gone into administration ? Encourage Gene Haas even further ?

One could argue they are greedy and perhaps unscrupulous but incapable or amateurs is far from the mark.  They may be slow on the uptake of new media technologies and the like but they most ceratinly are professional business people. They made an investment and are maximizing the return on that investment. Since what they offer is a product we can choose to "consume" it or not.  Even in a down economy FOM was able to maintain F1 as more or less a license to print money for the owners.  I don't think the issue it the generation of that money but more that the proceeds aren't more equitably distributed to the participants.  That is what I see as the primary issue of FOM, the good ol' boy deals and not more appropriately compensating the smaller teams for their participation in the form of prize money or purses.  There is going to be a point where this "fleece the promoter" business model will stop being sustainable and when the proceeds start to fall, the little guys will take it the hardest.  I think the ticket is a more sustainable model that is still able to generate substantial cash while more equitably compensating the participants.

Edited by loki, 23 April 2014 - 02:27.

#14 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,965 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:36

You are right, the point where the old business "model" (if you can dignify it that much) is no longer sustainable has long been passed. And of course it is the little guys - circuit owners/race promotors just as much as the teams - who get hit hardest. I think that the new "Strategy Group" with 6 votes for the CRH, 6 votes for the FIA and 6 votes for certain teams is an absolute scandal, which is bound to drive the 6 disenfranchised teams out of F1.

Why should people like Peter Sauber, Tony Fernandes, Vijay Mallya, the UAE investors behind parts of STR, the Marussia owners, etc accept being treated like dirt this way ? They are successful people elsewhere and hardly need F1; but F1 needs them.

#15 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,981 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:45

there will be fireworks and dancing girls every time there's an overtake, to improve the show of course. And they'll add guns to the cars, you can shoot the gun for 5 seconds every lap

#16 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:59

You are all wrong....Bernie will run his racket from prison, just like Al Capone or Mr Bridger :wave:

#17 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 19:15

Thongman? o_O

#18 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 1,529 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 20:14

You are all wrong....Bernie will run his racket from prison, just like Al Capone or Mr Bridger :wave:

Well if anything else he will die eventually... I guess, actually I am not sure, he looks like a vampire...

#19 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 22:57

A combination of hybrid F1 racingcars and Bernies dramas means that F1 is on the nose with a lot of people and may well be in real trouble. To a degree F1 is a sort of [legal] ponzi scheme and without Bernie the money may well stop. Abruptly! 

I may see it wrong but I feel there may be a very large shake up, or a rapid finish to F1 as we know it very soon.

Advertisement

#20 pdac

pdac

• 17,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:48

A combination of hybrid F1 racingcars and Bernies dramas means that F1 is on the nose with a lot of people and may well be in real trouble. To a degree F1 is a sort of [legal] ponzi scheme and without Bernie the money may well stop. Abruptly! 

I may see it wrong but I feel there may be a very large shake up, or a rapid finish to F1 as we know it very soon.

Bernie has brought money into F1 (and a whole load more money into his own pockets). The teams are used to high budgets now. When Bernie is no longer around I can't see there being anyone who can manage to bring that amount of money in anymore (even Bernie is struggling these days). I can't see the teams wanting to adapt to more modest budgets anymore than bankers want to adjust to lower bonuses.

So, all in all, I would not be too surprised to see a rapid finish to F1 once he's off the scene.

#21 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 00:03

Thongman? o_O

flavio

#22 Murl

Murl

• 743 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:58

Let's hope so.

Would be nice to see it burned down and rise from the ashes in a new form. Say with racing as a key component.

#23 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,182 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:04

The future of F1 is being played out int he WRC - endless rule changes, manufacturers leaving and finally the the promoters killing the sport. 

#24 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 16:58

The future of F1 is being played out int he WRC - endless rule changes, manufacturers leaving and finally the the promoters killing the sport. 

Horrible....

WRC is an absolute shadow of the glory days of 1980s and 1990s.

#25 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 19:55

My hope: Bernie reveals he has become a robot and rules over F1 forever.

Maybe he'll upload his consciousness to a supercomputer, become immortal and take over the world through the internet. Oh no, hang on, that was the plot of The Lawnmower Man, wasn't it?

#26 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 20:29

You mean like VW leaving in 2012, and now Hyundai leaving in 2014, and Toyota in the wings waiting to leave in perhaps 2015?  

#27 alfsboy

alfsboy

• 109 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 14:46

Every one seems to think that CH has any power at Red Bull or even knows what he is doing.I heard he  is there to stop Matische from being involved day to day  and be pissed off with boring journalsis  .I should think BE could run it all from his jail .All the hard work is done and its all set up anyway .No  for more races ,all deals aready in place,bribes probably paid up front etc .justintime  thinks he has the job .He has been threatening people already ..

Edited by alfsboy, 28 April 2014 - 14:58.

#28 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:31

....Hopefully sanity will prevail.The man is detached from reality.His immense wealth and age have seen to that.

#29 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:44

Horrible....

WRC is an absolute shadow of the glory days of 1980s and 1990s.

You left out the late 60s and the 70s mate!...Those marathons,London to Mexico and London to Sydney..magic. :love:

#30 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:51

A huge party and then some sobering moments.

#31 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:11

Armageddon..

Or maybe it'll be better.. :well:

#32 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 16:18

WRC has only suffered because no one wants to watch on television, and the same bloke wins all the time, hence noone of course wnats to watch it on television!

You can escape the fact that during that period of it hadnt been for Fod and Citroen, it would have disappeared completely.

it has recovered slightly, but is now in danger again as Germans what they do best in racing  (WSPC, ITC, DTM, Grup C) and spend so much on it to dominate that none can compete and everyone loses interest!!