Photo

ITV4 tonight 9pm - Grand Prix 500: The Rainey Days

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 18:03

Sorry for such short notice  :well: Couple of drops of R in the tea-light burner I reckon  :wave:

Documentary focusing on the career of American motorcycling star Wayne Rainey, who was one of the dominant riders in the sport in the 1980s and 1990s. Featuring footage of Rainey battling against the likes of Mick Doohan, Kevin Schwantz and Eddie Lawson, along with contributions from journalists, managers and riders.

Advertisement

#2 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:20

Bollox - missed it. It's bound to be repeated again???

#3 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:28

It's on the ITV player for the next 29 days.

I'd share the link but this stupid forum won't let me cut & paste a simple link without the help of a techie

#4 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:44

https://www.itv.com/...the-unrideables

:wave:

#5 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:09

I wonder what the 500s would be like with modern tyres and traction control, maybe too tame.

Greg

#6 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 16:37

Yes. Got it on the ITV player, and well worth a watch. Really enjoyed it. Now I have to see from where I can dig out the first one.

#7 bella

bella

• 102 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 17:39

Eddie Lawson was fulsome in his praise of relatively ok riders like Mc Elnea and Mackenzie, and his comments alone got it across just how hard those beasts were to race and how proud he is of his achievements.
Fantastic show and i'm really looking forwards to a next one.

#8 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 20:37

I wonder what the 500s would be like with traction control

Gardner would have just bitten through the cable   ;)

#9 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 13:07

Suoerb comment fitter

I can remember Digger on the Moriwaki in the UK in early 80's some of the stuff he did was staggering.

Was fascinated to hear Knig Kenny talking about trying to get Wayne on a Yamaha, this was perhaps before Wayne was ready, I could see Gardner with Mamola as a great team, certainly beter than Baldwin and Magee, though you could see why both those guys got the ride.

Either way, you do get the sense from all these guys that though they can understand what guys like Marquez, Lorenzo are doing now, they know, like we do, that late 80's early 90's 500's were the hardest GP bikes ever invented, and I doubt anything modern riders do until their controls are purely theirs, will change that.

Oh and to answer the TC question, most 500 teams were using forms of TC in the early 00's on 500's  Not sure how good it was, but most of them had something