Photo

Press reports of the 20th anniversary of the deaths of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:15

As we get close to the 20th anniversary of Imola 1994, I thought it might be of interest to each other if we gathered up the articles in the press or TV/radio programmes, both to draw attention to them for those interested and to discuss them when they appear. Tuboscocca has made a thread here about the formal tribute planned at Imola itself but I'm talking more about general commemoration pieces, like the set of articles The Times did a decade ago, like this piece by Damon Hill here (Paywall. £ or subscription needed)

To kick it off, Reuters have a series of pieces planned:

Alan Baldwin‏@alanbaldwinf11 hr
Tomorrow, we have a package of stories ahead of the 20th anniversary of the deaths of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger at Imola.
Alan Baldwin‏@alanbaldwinf11 hr
It will include reports from Imola and Sao Paulo, interviews with Viviane Senna, Max Mosley and Damon Hill among others...and factboxes.

Sky also have a series of programmes in their Senna week including an interview with Ron Dennis and what I presume is the same (excellent) piece Nigel Roebuck about Ayrton that originally aired during the Brazilian GP weekend last year (or the year before, I forget).

The BBC have a radio show about the events planned:

Jennie Gow@JennieGow16h

As we prepare to remember one of the most influential weekend’s in motorsport, make a note of our Senna show. @bbc5live 7.30-9pm May 1st #F1

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:36

The Damon Hill Times article - and others published at the same time - can be accessed without payment through almost all UK libraries, which offer in-home access to it via Gale Database. All you need is a current library card. The relevant issues are April 17th to 22nd 2004.

#3 DRSdisabled

DRSdisabled

• 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 20:21

Recently published Tamburello by Martin Zustak - https://www.youtube....h?v=LJWQhFzxyQg

It has already been discussed at length in another thread on The Nostalgia Forum. 

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:23

Pat Symonds talks to Reuters about working with Ayrton and about Monaco 1984 especially:

"I knew the guy was good. When he joined the Toleman team I thought we'd done very well. I won't for one minute pretend to really have anticipated how well we'd done and what an absolute treasure we'd got.
Once he started working with us, I think a great sign of a good driver is that you forget they are inexperienced... And that was the case with Ayrton. He was just so at home in Formula One that you forgot he was a rookie."

Johnny Herbert, one of the two F1 drivers to attend both funerals, remembers Roland Ratzenberger

It's always Ayrton but then you can understand why it's always Ayrton because Ayrton achieved what Ayrton achieved," former driver Johnny Herbert, a good friend of Ratzenberger, told Reuters.

"Roland is almost forgotten. Whenever I talk to people I never say Ayrton's weekend...it's always Ayrton and Roland. And I'd never forget that and I don't want other people to forget it either.

Ron Dennis remembers Senna:

Some of the things in the 'Senna' film, the people that talk... I would say these guys know nothing," he declared.

The Senna he knew, with his mastery of Monaco and brilliance in the wet, was "so awesome that it was hard to distinguish one bit of awesome from another. He was a great guy."

'So awesome it was hard to distinguish one bit of awesome from another .' Aww, Ron :(

More Reuters stories, including stuff from Hill and Mosley here

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,481 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 00:27

It's hard to believe it's been 20 years. I used to record each race on tape. Never watched that race again and doubt if I still have it.

#6 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 13:19

http://www.gocar.gr/..._that_was_.html

Long piece with Cesare Fiorio about Senna.

#7 DRSdisabled

DRSdisabled

• 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 15:39

New documentary / personal recollections by Roberto Cabrini (the Conexao Reporter) - http://www.dailymoti...sua-morte_sport

#8 DRSdisabled

DRSdisabled

• 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 15:45

Also, Veja opens its digital archive with articles about Ayrton - http://veja.abril.co...m-ayrton-senna/

Edited by DRSdisabled, 26 April 2014 - 15:46.

#9 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 16:40

Only for those who can receive German TV (and there the regional Program NDR) on Sunday night 23.35h.(Don't know if it is on VOD afterwards)

http://www.ndr.de/fe...y/senna159.html

According to the text HH Frentzen and Gerhard Berger are speaking..

Regards Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 26 April 2014 - 16:41.

#10 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 16:53

...and the Italian AUTOSPRINT comes out (next week 29.April) with a special edition. Including a DVD 'Zanardi racconta (talks of)  Senna' and a magazine which includes all Autosprint-interviews with Senna ...

Regards Michael

#11 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 16:52

There are quite a few relevant pieces in this week's AUTOSPORT magazine (out Thursday 1st May). Some of these features will also be running on AUTOSPORT+ over the next few days.

The current plan is for these to consist of:

Ratzenberger remembered (mag and web)

- David Brabham on Simtek (magazine)

- The Imola grid looks back (magazine)

- Prost on Senna (mag and web)

- Berger on Senna (mag and web)

- How Imola 1994 changed F1 (mag and web)

- Senna's legacy in Brazil (magazine)

Senna: the team manager's story will also be appearing on AUTOSPORT+ having previously appeared in F1 Racing magazine.

Edited by Grayson, 01 May 2014 - 11:27.
Added in links to the features which have been published online.

#12 DRSdisabled

DRSdisabled

• 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 17:40

Newey on Senna in Auto Motor und Sport

http://www.auto-moto...et-8313172.html

#13 SB

SB

• 2,427 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:40

UK's independent remembers Roland  :cry:

http://www.independe...dy-9303926.html

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:53

Daily Telegraph piece on Senna, with contributions from Hill and Brundle:

http://www.telegraph...tory-imola.html

#15 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:56

BBC: David Brabham remembers Roland Ratzenberger and thinks he should have a permanent plaque at Imola.

Some see Ratzenberger as the 'forgotten man' of that tragic weekend, but [Babham] disagrees.

"There's looking at it that way or the other way, which I prefer," said Brabham, who had been exchanging letters with Ratzenberger's parents up until recently.

"Would we still be talking about Roland 20 years on if only Roland had died? The fact he died on the same weekend as Senna means he will always be remembered."

#16 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:14

Austrian SERVUS TV (Red Bull- owned) brought a 1 hour program on Senna in August 2013..(in German..)

Regards Michael

#17 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:19

A thoughtful piece remembering Ayrton Senna from the ever-excellent writer Richard Williams, chief sports writer for The Guardian.

Senna had everything it would take to create the grand prix hero of Hollywood's dreams. But something else, something more mysterious, captivated not just the fans who continue to revere his memory but later generations of drivers to whom he represents a permanent reference point.

"We are made of emotions," he once said, and his own were on show not just at moments of triumph or betrayal but in the way he drove, usually on the limit of control as he fought for one of his 65 pole positions or 41 race wins, fending off the challenge from his closest rivals, the small group of men who made up a remarkable generation of champions: Nelson Piquet, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell.

#18 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:23

http://www.dailymail...lain-Prost.html

This is from today's Daily Mail, sorry about the source but it's a perceptive piece from someone who should be listened to, and I for one think that it's both fair and balanced.

#19 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 13:57

Senna: the team manager's story will also be appearing on AUTOSPORT+ having previously appeared in F1 Racing magazine.

Thank you for sharing the links, Grayson. This one in particular was a superb bit of writing, very vivid and of course deeply sad. I missed it piece appearing the first time round so i'm glad I got a chance to read it here.

Advertisement

#20 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 17:17

http://www.dailymail...lain-Prost.html

This is from today's Daily Mail, sorry about the source but it's a perceptive piece from someone who should be listened to, and I for one think that it's both fair and balanced.

Why is the source a problem?

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 17:34

*shrug* Lots of people really dislike the paper for its political and moral views. Let's not get into whether it's reasonable or not to hate the Daily Mail, it was an interesting piece by JYS, that's the main thing. (Not acting as a mod, I have no jurisdiction here, just giving a personal view/hope.)

#22 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 17:58

In my case, it's because their regular F1 correspondent, Jonathan McEvoy, appears to be either totally ignorant of the history of the sport or else to be incapable of checking his facts.  He certainly does not reply to emails pointing out errors of fact in articles that carry his by-line.  When I followed the link, the first thing I checked was who had written it.

Edited by D-Type, 30 April 2014 - 18:00.

#23 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 18:25

Ee baint be from around these parts, be Ee Nemo?

As Sophie B points out, the Daily Mail doesn't have the best reputation as a news organ, too often it's "We are not amused" and Little Englander personified, but the article by Sir Jackie was an intelligent and serious piece of writing, well argued and hard to find fault with for anyone but the most blinkered fanboy. On Duncan's point, he may well be right, though never having read a DM Effwun piece, I wouldn't really know. I think he's wasting his time responding directly to almost anything written in a mass circulation publication of any kind, though there are one or two exceptions. I've e-mailed several Motor Sport writers,without much great hope of anything more than a brief acknowledgement at best, and have been very pleasantly surprised to receive lengthy and helpful replies from every one of them, even current editor Damien, quite long e-mail trails have resulted in a couple of instances. Maybe that's one secret of the magazine's lasting appeal, when readers offer helpful and constructive suggestions, they do listen and sometimes even take appropriate action.

#24 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 18:33

I think Rob, Duncan and Sophie have explained the Daily Mail quite adequately for anyone previously unaware of its reputation (although I would also reference e14's current signature). Let's leave it there, eh?

[One O/T post removed]

The topic title is very explicit. Let's keep it to that, eh?  ;)

#25 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 20:54

Senna is not my favourite driver by any means but this is an interesting story nevertheless: http://www.theguardi...keith-sutton-f1

Edited by scheivlak, 30 April 2014 - 20:54.

#26 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:42

Gerald Donaldson shares his amazing memories of interviewing Ayrton Senna on McLaren's website here.

As our interview came to a close (we had spoken for nearly an hour) Ayrton finished with these words…

“In many ways we are a dream for people, not a reality. That counts in your mind. It shows how much you can touch people. And as much as you try to give those people something it is nothing compared to what they live in their own mind, in their dreams for you. And that is something really special…something really, really special for me.”

The rest of the McLaren memories are here.

edited to add:

@andrewbensonf11 hr
Two superb columns on #Senna, from @LewisHamilton http://www.bbc.co.uk...ula1/27205245 … and @therealdcf1 http://www.bbc.co.uk...ula1/27190030 …

#27 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 21:51

http://autosprint.co...zo-rotto/15070/

Nothing new but...

#28 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:17

http://www.foxsports...q-1226903306534

Good article imo. 

Also great mini-doco by Sony/GT on Senna 

#29 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:02

If anyone missed the BBC Radio 5 programme about Senna's early career - The Boy From Brazil - Ayrton Senna in Norfolk - there was a longer version on BBC Radio Norfolk - it is still currently available here but I am not sure for how long.

Really good insight from people who were connected to Senna in the early days - Ralph Firman, Dennis Rushden, Bob Dance and many others.

#30 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 15:17

Fantastic article by DC on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/27190030

Particularly his asking Frank which way to turn out the pits  :lol:

Edit: sorry Sophie posted already.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 07 May 2014 - 15:23.

#31 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:19

It's May 1, the day the #F1 world remembers Ayrton #Senna - to celebrate the anniversary our archive team have digitised these rarely-seen images from his career 1f4f7.png@latimages @suttonimages

https://www.autospor...dex.php/id/3826

cQSV32C.jpg

There are indeed some very good photos. I hadn't seen a lot of them before.

#32 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:24

Remembering three-time F1 World Champion Ayrton Senna, who tragically passed away 24 years ago today during the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix #F1 #SennaSempre

DcGV7A5X0AAAMf2.jpg

I will always remember this day! 24 years ago I can’t believe.

DcGhzCXW0AAlyDY.jpg

#33 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 393 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:01

A while back I wrote a piece on Senna's time in British F3 and my encounters with him. While in no way comparing my scribbles with some of those referenced in this thread it might be of interest to some of this forum's readers.

I have little contact these days with the publishing website.

If this is considered off topic by the moderators please feel free to delete.

https://www.drivingl...rossing-a-star/

#34 Ibsey

Ibsey

• 525 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 16:57

Another article which Williem Toet adds great insight to; https://www.linkedin...rs-willem-toet/

#35 richardnunney

richardnunney

• 75 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 20:33

AutosportVerified account @autosport 6m6 minutes ago

More

It's May 1, the day the #F1 world remembers Ayrton #Senna - to celebrate the anniversary our archive team have digitised these rarely-seen images from his career 1f4f7.png@latimages @suttonimages

https://www.autospor...dex.php/id/3826

cQSV32C.jpg

There are indeed some very good photos. I hadn't seen a lot of them before.

Wow. Some fantastic pics there Sophie. Pass my thanks on to the digitisers of these.

#36 hogstar

hogstar

• 550 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 17:59

I think Roland's death should be equally remembered and often is not. He obviously never rose to Star Status like Senna, but one death is no less significant than the other. 

#37 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 18:29

I think Roland's death should be equally remembered and often is not. He obviously never rose to Star Status like Senna, but one death is no less significant than the other. 

I totally agree.  Both gave the most they could, their lives, to our sport.

#38 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 18:42

A while back I wrote a piece on Senna's time in British F3 and my encounters with him. While in no way comparing my scribbles with some of those referenced in this thread it might be of interest to some of this forum's readers.

Thank you John - some fascinating insights into the man.

#39 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 19:15

True.

Hence why I won't forget about Ricardo Paletti either.

He was pretty much `lost` in the aftermath of the Villeneuve tragedy, because he was also a youngster in nothing more but an Osella.

So much that he and Roland share, being killed in a season when what was likely the most popular driver within F1 was killed while they were pay drivers for a minor team and thus often rated as field fillers, if they made the field at all to begin with.....

Henri

Advertisement

#40 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:46

Twenty-five years sure feels like one.

RIP, Ayrton.

#41 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:11

The interesting phenomenon is that every report in the press has its 'don't forget Ratzenberger'  coda , as a counterpoint to the tedious ,and  predictable polls of Senna's greatest races, voted on by people who were 10 at the time . Ironically, therefore  RR's death is given far, far more exposure than it would otherwise have been if Senna hadn't been killed the next day. Odd , isn't it, how the very same hand wringers have conveniently forgotten  drivers who didn't die in juxtaposition to a champion , as ,apart from in TNF's haven of sanity, the likes of Paletti, De Angelis , Pace , Revson , Koinigg    (and many others) are rarely mentioned.

Sorry to sound the cynical  old git, but having read elsewhere rather too many tear stained,  hand wringing accounts of  personal trauma caused by Senna's death , didn't they realise that , y'know ,racing drivers did get killed from time to time ? And still are,  if , thankfully, in much fewer numbers     

#42 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:44

Quite right John, I fully agree. Too many hand wringers and virtue signallers in all walks of like these days. 'Man-Up' folks!! 

Grumpy Old MD

#43 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,500 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:26

Euphoria of the Championship didn’t last long, Dan.