* * * * * 2 votes

Potential future changes

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:43

Formula 1 teams are pushing to make grand prix cars more visually spectacular, AUTOSPORT can reveal, with the return of sparks, glowing brake discs and vapour trails all being considered.
Leading F1 outfits have grown concerned that recent design trends have robbed the sport of the drama that previous generations of cars provided.
The teams involved in the Strategy Group now plan talks over the next few weeks to consider a range of proposals that can bring some of that excitement back.

This week's AUTOSPORT magazine contains more details of the F1 Strategy Group's crucial talks and what they could mean for the sport's future

Not going to lie, I do NOT like the idea of a reduction in race lengths. Some races are less than 90mins as it is, and I very much doubt that though the ticket costs would go up, people would be happy seeing less F1 racing for more money. I want races to last as a minumum 90mins. If they end up longer due to rain, safety cars etc, so be it, but for me, every race should be a minimum of 90mins long (in which case you merely work out roughly how many laps will be required to be completed to get to the 90mins mark, though obviously you'd have to do a little guesstimating on laptimes.

Edited by SophieB, 24 April 2014 - 14:54.
Please do not paste whole articles to the board. Link and a few lines only, please.

Advertisement

#2 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,443 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:00

If anything I'd prefer the race length to be longer as it makes it more of a challenge for the drivers..

The only thing I really want sorted is for them to come up with a better solution for gravel traps that aren't HUGE excess run off areas. The sport would look much more spectacular if we could visibly see just how close they were to hitting the gravel, as opposed to now where if a driver pushes too hard he just drivers onto the run off...It's not exciting to watch, at all.

#3 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:01

I agree with you re. race length - Monza is over before it's started.

#4 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:17

Some awful ideas there in my opinion. I definately don't want shorter races and I don't want to see standing starts after a safety car. A safety car should be out just for the safety of marshalls/drivers - not to spice up the action. If they want to tweek the safety car rules they could remove the daft rule of cars unlapping themselves which sees several more laps than neccessary behind the safety car. If they really feel the need to remove the lapped cars they could take them throgh the pit lane to get them to the back, but the lead cars have already lapped them during the race and lost any time advantage to those behind due to the safety car anyway so I have no problem in leaving them where they are.

#5 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:18

What bothers me is that behind every proposal is the "improving the show" argument, which i loathe. That sort of thinking will ruin the sport.

Edited by ollebompa, 24 April 2014 - 13:11.

#6 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:22

Reducing race lengths is a ridiculous idea, too many of the old traditional rules (numbering based on previous years team performance springs to mind) are being eroded in the name of entertainment. 200 mile GPs please regardless of time (2 hour max notwithstanding) thank you.

What's the plan for vortices? Smoke canisters? lol

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:26

Really, making the cars spark again to make races more exciting? That's all they came up with? The sparks are just incidental, what is exciting is the battle between the drivers for position.

Race lengths certainly should not decrease - if anything I wouldn't mind some races to aim for the two hour mark, rather than 90 minutes. Standing starts after a safety car is another poor idea. While the gaps between the cars are wiped out during the safety car, they still maintain the advantage of track position, rather than opening up all the variables of the start and negating the leaders advantage even further.

#8 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:28

Reducing race lengths?

Let's see.... I like Formula 1 because I like watching Formula 1 races.  Ergo, let's reduce the amount of what I like.

Really....?  Nothing about the engines?  A spec suspension system???

Seriously, I want names: who the frak is on this working group?  Is it just Charlie Whiting?  What are they drinking/smoking when they come up with this mish-mash????

Shorter races?????

:mad: 

#9 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:29

Another raft of stupid ideas.

#10 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:31

So this weeks PR twist on the top teams wanting reintroduce active suspension is "woo look at the pretty sparks and glowing things".....

**** off guys.....come back when you have some real ideas that will create better racing, and not this pathetic collection of ideas.

#11 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:33

They're probably just trying to draw the attention away from the Bernie trial.

#12 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:34

they are nuts, all things in the article mentioned are utter nonsense...

active suspension for sparks, shorter races, glowing brake discs, standing starts after a safety car (eat this clutch!)....

they will ruin F1 if they really think that cheap thrills is what F1 stands for....

#13 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:34

So they screwed F1 with the new regulations and they want to screw even further with ridiculous ideas. :lol:

#14 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:35

You know, really, a lot of what comes out of the "FIA Working Group" strikes me as "Charlie speaking casually to some team bosses or engineers about some ideas over brunch or at the espresso machine".  

"yeah Charlie... sure... ok, how about we bring sparks back, haha".. "ok, that wouldn't be bad Christian... ok"...   "... pass me the condensed milk there... thanks Charlie... hey, you know, do these events have to be SOOOOO long, I mean, it's really all a bit long for a weekend don't you think?", "yes, I agree with you there Niki, they don't have to be THIS long I suppose".   "Well Ron, you know your chef picks quite a nice coffee, Auiyra highlands, Papau New Guinea?  Lovely", "You know Charles, I've been thinking, now that we have the engines quieted down, it would really make the weekend more enjoyable if you know, we could just knock off maybe half an hour off the race and get back to Woking sooner, it would really make things a bit more tolerable, don't you think?"... etc. etc...

#15 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,149 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:37

I despair...I really do... these are just pathetic gimmicks.

Look at Football...the most followed game in the world, yet they have no need to 'improve the show', and the rules have pretty much stayed the same for about 100 years or so..

Technology will always evolve of course, but this is just tinkering year on year, causing confusion for viewers.

Agggghhhhh no wonder F1 is going down the pan, everyone can see it...

#16 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:37

Artifical visual drama. 

It's like F1 cars with fake tits. 

#17 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:38

I've been asking for sparks for a while, just because it will attract a few more casual fans who are looking for action. Reducing race length is a Ferrari idea, and a stupid one.

The problem is and always has been that tv can't capture the violence that the driver faces each time he drives an F1 car, whether it's on the straight, round a bend or going off

#18 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:39

So this weeks PR twist on the top teams wanting reintroduce active suspension is "woo look at the pretty sparks and glowing things".....

**** off guys.....come back when you have some real ideas that will create better racing, and not this pathetic collection of ideas.

I like sparks, and I like vortices - and loud engines - but not when it's for no reason.  Active suspension removes driver error, so I hate that - but then, I'd be all for sparking titanium skid plates in place of jabrock.  Why titanium skid plates MUST be tied to ALSO having active, spec suspension ... is ludicrous.  "We can't have something nice without taking the bad medicine".

Everybody pokes fun at Bernie for his age, but why is it the F1 Working Group are the ones that actually seem senile? 

#19 raiderhall

raiderhall

• 78 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:40

SPARKS SPARKS!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Advertisement

#20 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,149 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:41

At this rate, next week we'll have oil slicks, banana's, turtle shells and mushrooms...

#21 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,022 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:46

F1 becoming more and more ridiculous... :down:

#22 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:46

More inanity from the people in change. Shorter races? Hey, let's make up for that by awarding triple points! For everyone! That would be exciting!

Yes, putting "excitement" into the rules is what gave us DRS, dodgy tires, and the like. Give us good racing with viscious cars. That's what's wanted.

#23 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:47

I've been asking for sparks for a while, just because it will attract a few more casual fans who are looking for action. Reducing race length is a Ferrari idea, and a stupid one.

The problem is and always has been that tv can't capture the violence that the driver faces each time he drives an F1 car, whether it's on the straight, round a bend or going off

Watch some early '90's footage and you see the violence of a F1 car. Stability in camera's has sanitized it for a better picture. The in-helmet cam is the only thing left that registers the real (bouncy) world of F1.

But can't this strategy workgroup just go home? Shorter races? How does that fix the reliabilty mantra of today?

#24 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:51

How about standardised front & rear wings, standardised diffuser, flat undertray/bottom to the tip of the nose (no double floors), steel brake discs and no pits stops? 

#25 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:52

What's the plan for vortices? Smoke canisters? lol

May be they could use those paint canisters the Red Arrows use for their displays. Lewis could have a red, white and blue trail and Nico a black, red and yellow one? ;)

#26 jimbox01

jimbox01

• 141 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:53

Just how close are they to jumping the shark?

Have Whiting and Todt already been replaced by Fonzie and Richie, or is it on the agenda for the next crisis meeting?  Then again, Ron Howard might actually do a better job of things...

#27 MCH

MCH

• 351 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:53

Contrived BS ideas. What a sad state F1 is in  :cry:

Retro oriented ideas aren't ideas, they're intellectual poverty. Any new idea should be future oriented. 

#28 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:54

If the glowing brake discs mean back to steel discs, I like that.

Apart from that:

Sparks are awesome, perhaps we could add some fireworks effect that fires when overtaking anohter car. It would be so Mario cool. And we need Bananas.

#29 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,443 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:56

If they are shortened, can they be called 'mini-Prix' instead?

:)

#30 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:12

down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

#31 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:13

Either stop pussyfooting around and just bring back the regulations from the early 90's, accepting the inherent dangers and litigious pitfalls that would entail, or damn well accept that new regulations mean a new 'spectacle' and get over it. You cant bring back 'the old days', you can't wind the clock back. I loved watching F1 in the years they refer to in that article, and whilst a return to that would be interesting visually, it's just another pathetic remake. It wouldn't be the same, 25 years have gone by and materials, construction methods and attitudes have all changed. All you would end up with is some awful inter-century pastiche, which deep down, you would know isn't special, whatever you tell yourself. There are racing series dedicated to nostalgic racing. I attend some, and love every minute of it but F1 is about new technologies and evolution, or at least it should be.

Like everything these days, its a worldwide epidemic. Creative thinking and progress are stifled by the sole aim of making money out of people my age by appealing to their inner nostalgia gland, under the banner of 'retro' cool and simply selling them a watered down and slightly sad facsimile of something that was better the first time around. Car design, films, TV series, cartoons, toys, games, clothes ... nothing is safe from these idle, shallow thinking, marketing parasites.

As for the abortion of an idea that is standing starts after a safety car ... I'll stick with the old adage, if you cant say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Edited by superden, 24 April 2014 - 13:31.

#32 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,796 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:23

I enjoy Mario Kart on my Wii.

I enjoyed oldschool Formula 1 when it was a sport.

What I don't enjoy however, is this half-entertainment, half-sport mess. F1 should decide which way it wants to go.

Edited by DaddyCool, 24 April 2014 - 13:24.

#33 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:30

Reducing race length is a Ferrari idea, and a stupid one.

Ah now, if last weekend's Chinese Grand Prix was only three corners long then Ferrari would look like F1 Gods right now thanks to Alonso's mighty start.

#34 Kraken

Kraken

• 980 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:32

Yet more ideas to appeal to the 7 second video generation that have attention spans of gnats. Let them look elsewhere for entertainment and just give us good, close racing on tracks that punish mistakes and most genuine fans will be happy.

#35 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:34

DaddyCool Posted Today, 14:23 "What I don't enjoy however, is this half-entertainment, half-sport mess. F1 should decide which way it wants to go."

Exactly, they need to decide if they want a sport where the aim is for the fastest car and best driver to win (assuming the best teams will employ the best drivers) or just an entertainment show - in which case they may as well go the full hog and have reverse grids, joker laps and sprinkler systems. :(

#36 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:35

How about standardised front & rear wings, standardised diffuser, flat undertray/bottom to the tip of the nose (no double floors), steel brake discs and no pits stops? 

It's (almost) called GP2. ;)

But is Bernie trying to whittle down the F1-stock to do a buyout later?

#37 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:38

Like most others in this thread I cant understand the shorter races Idea either, I dont want shorter races I want longer races, someone above said about Monza and their right, usually lasts about an hour and 15 minutes if there are no major accidents and saftey cars, I keep seeing it mentioned though so no doubt they are preparing us for 1 hour long races in a year or two, if they go down that route then they should give us an extra race on the Saturday a couple of hours after qualifying for Sunday, a 25 lap sprint or something similar, with a reverse grid from Q1.

Edited by Mart280, 24 April 2014 - 13:39.

#38 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:42

Wow. Like this?

sparks.png

F1 got some acne? Let's get a £1million boobjob to get attractiveness back, instead of paying £5 for some cream. Impeccable logic.

#39 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:42

Standish starts behind safety car???  :drunk:

You'd never get the race going in Monaco.

Advertisement

#40 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:43

After much investigation by FIA into what people want, from 2015 it is regulated that each car must produce sparks at the press of a button. The button must be used for ten seconds per lap, every lap. Failure to produce ten seconds of sparks per lap will mean disqualification from the event.

#41 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:45

another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show", another rule to "add spice to the show"... and so forth...

Edited by alfa1, 24 April 2014 - 13:46.

#42 Talryyn

Talryyn

• 839 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:48

Please stop messing with F1, take us back to 2004ish (maybe without out all the aero appendages) - engines that you can actually hear on TV, and don't touch the race length please it is already short in some cases as it stands.  Why do you think some of us go to all three days of the event?  That is right, because it is too short!  ;)

Been watching F1 since the early 80's, and never once did I go -- WOW, this is too long (even when I was a young kid with zero attention span)...  I do remember plenty of times when I wish the races were longer!   :clap: 

I will admit, the sparks from the screws used to be cool and I did miss them when they changed the screw material.  But don't make it artificial, as the fuel load changes sometimes the sparks went away for example.

Glowing brakes?  Hmmm, I remember seeing these in 2012 at the track - so how about better camera angles that catch the already glowing brakes?

If you want to capture peoples attention, have some camera's that show the true speed and movement changes of the cars.  How about finally buying some good microphones to capture the hair raising sounds of these machines?

/end rant

#43 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:52

After much investigation by FIA into what people want, from 2015 it is regulated that each car must produce sparks at the press of a button. The button must be used for ten seconds per lap, every lap. Failure to produce ten seconds of sparks per lap will mean disqualification from the event.

And don't forget about the mandatory use of the 'red' button at each corner (the 'red' button turns on a red light behind each wheel, giving the viewer the same experience as if the break discs were glowing hot).

#44 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:54

Why don't they just introduce pointy/cutty things on each wheel - just like Ben Hur.

#45 MrMan

MrMan

• 190 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:59

It wouldn't surprise me if the FIA suggested traffic lights and roundabouts on track. Also cars must be fitted with indicators for safety reasons. Road car relevance!

#46 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 14:02

I vote that drivers are allowed 1 use of a 'special' button each race. This button will do 1 of many things, including but not restricted to: Blowing the engine, dropping onions on the track, a 5 second 50mph speed boost, instant disqualification, a free pizza at their next pit stop, 1 wheel falling off, and having the engine make whoopie cushion noises when at full throttle for the next 3 minutes.

#47 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 14:04

:rotfl:

Just an idea came to mind, what kind of proposals we might see one day, when the cars are already fully electric. Let's introduce smoke or fire, when the PU is overheating or expires to get some old aura back. Hey, and anyway let them burn on fire all throughout night races for visual effect.

#48 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 14:07

Standish starts behind safety car???  :drunk:

You'd never get the race going in Monaco.

:lol:  Start - Grid Crash - Safety Car - Start - Grid Crash - Safety Car...

It would basically be a knockout. Last car remaining wins  :p

#49 morrino

morrino

• 240 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 14:12

I would really love to see sparks back along with active suspension. The cars look much better when they're closer to the ground.

The shortened races has something to do with the fuel-flow limit. The drivers could push much harder without running out of fuel. So its a compromise. Throwing away the fuel-flow limit is not possible because it would mean a complete redesign of the engines.

#50 robprotronica

robprotronica

• 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 14:13

billm99uk has it spot on - we need smoke trails - rockets, flares, anything else anyone can think of.... Dick Dastardly and Muttley.

Wouldn't that be Wacky Races and not F1  :drunk:

Edited by robprotronica, 24 April 2014 - 14:15.