Steve Estes has passed away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:31

Fellows,

I very much regret to inform that racing historian Steve Estes - who had also been involved with racing in the American Midwest in several other roles - passed away last night. He got unwell unexpectedly at sleep at his home in Troy, Ohio. Although he was quickly helped, his life could not be saved.

Steve was a dear friend to many of us here at TNF, and provided enormous help to a number of our personal projects. Although his expertise was certainly short track racing, Steve was fond of just about any discipline of the sport - and, in fact, would be great person to have in any conversation. He was incommensurably kind and friendly. I cannot remember a single time that Steve did not volunteer to help when a racing subject came his way. 

I met Steve over the internet nearly ten years ago and since then we had exchanged thousands of e-mails. He became a member of the Motorsport Memorial board of editors in 2005 and made extremely valuable contributions to our project. We at the board can be a bunch of big-headed guys, and Steve - besides everything else he did for us - was our unofficial peacemaker. Sadly we never met in person.

Steve was also the man behind the Racers at Rest, a project dedicated to place new - or restore old - tombstones and markers for racing drivers. Just a week ago Steve and his peers completed their twelfth mission, placing a marker at the tomb of Francis Marion Knox, who died in accident at the Amarillo Fairground in Texas in 1933. Until last week the only thing that had marked Knox's grave was a single rock.

Below is a picture of Steve at the Dayton Speedway, one of his favorites places on Earth.

I'll miss you a lot, my friend.

Sal

stevedayton.jpg

Advertisement

#2 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:47

Sad news

#3 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:57

I'll miss you a lot, my friend.

Nanni

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:04

RIP Steve. Though I never knew you I share your desire to recognise those who have died pursuing something you, they & I have made a large part of our lives

#5 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 18:25

Steven James Estes' obituary

STEVEN J. ESTES, age 65 of Troy, passed away on Thursday, April 24, 2014 at his residence.  He was born on August 28, 1948 in Troy to the late Andrew C. and Rosealice (Gerard) Estes.  Steven was married for 14 years to Joyce A. (Hofacker) Estes.  She survives.                       

In addition to his wife, Steven is survived by three daughters and sons-in-law: Renee and David Ernst of GA, Melissa Basil of Troy and Allison and Paul Snapp of Bellefontaine; one son and daughter-in-law: Chad A. and Heidi Estes of Troy; one step-son: Zech Ellis of Troy; one brother and sister-in-law: Andrew Joseph and Maggie Estes of Troy; two sisters: Mary Ann Reardon of Piqua and Judith Barr of AZ; eleven grandchildren and one great grandchild.  In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one brother: Winston Estes.

Steven graduated from Troy High School in 1967.  He co-authored a book called “Racers at Rest”.  Steven loved racing, especially sprint car racing.  He was the owner/operator of Illusions in Piqua for over 30 years.

Memorial services will be held at a later date.  Burial will be in Riverside Cemetery, Troy.  Arrangements have been entrusted to Baird Funeral Home, Troy.

Memorial contributions may be made to Racers at Rest, National Sprint Car Museum, P. O. Box 542, Knoxville, Iowa 50138   Please make checks payable to National Sprint Car Hall of Fame.  Condolences may be expressed to the family at www.bairdfuneralhome.com.

Charitable donations may be made in Steven's memory to the following organization:

Racers at Rest, National Sprint Car Museum
Make checks payable to National Sprint Car Hall of Fame (Memo Line: Racers at Rest)
P. O. Box 542, Knoxville, IA 50138